Film adaptation of books

On 11/13/2022 at 9:44 AM, poppy said:

I love Merchant Ivory's production of E.M. Forster's books Howard's End and A Room With a View. 

And although not a film, the TV series of R.F. Delderfield's A Horseman Riding By, is also excellent. 

I've re-read and re-watched all the books and films several times.

Yes, can only agree - both brilliant (as were the books);  I think I just about preferred HE to ARWAV, but it's a close  call!

BTW, please forgive my obsession with detail (nit-picking!), but there's no apostrophe in Howards End.  I have no idea why - completely counter-intuitive! (OH  tells me that I should let these things go, but I'm not very good at that - sorry!).

Edited by willoyd
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, willoyd said:

Yes, can only agree - both brilliant (as were the books);  I think I just about preferred HE to ARWAV, but it's a close  call!

BTW, please forgive my obsession with detail (nit-picking!), but there's no apostrophe in Howards End.  I have no idea why - completely counter-intuitive! (OH  tells me that I should let these things go, but I'm not very good at that - sorry!).

Many apologies, Willoyd, I've just discovered that my tablet is automatically adding the apostrophe, but I think I would have added it myself, anyway 😄 It's good you pointed it out, as I will remember from now on.

Yes, Howards End is my favourite.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, poppy said:

Many apologies, Willoyd, I've just discovered that my tablet is automatically adding the apostrophe, but I think I would have added it myself, anyway 😄 It's good you pointed it out, as I will remember from now on.

Yes, Howards End is my favourite.

If all your predictive text is doing is adding apostrophes, then you're a lucky person! Mine causes carnage!

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

I hope I can still reply to this thread and that it is not too old.

I really like the first season of Games of Thrones, it matches rather faithfully the first book (A Song of Ice and Fire).

As many, I have watched the TV show first and, while reading the book, I could see the scenes of the show playing into my mind.

I won't vouch for the other seasons, though!

Hello!

That sounds like a great idea, especially if you're a book lover. One of my favorite film adaptations of a book is "The Shawshank Redemption," based on Stephen King's novella "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption." It's a classic that's well-loved by many. Reading the novella first would add an extra layer of appreciation. Enjoy your films marathon! 📚🎬