E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

I love the thought of electronic readers for ebooks, but they seem to be a little expensive still, hopefully that changes in the not too distant future... I have an EeePc, that I bought mainly for reading ebooks, but of course, it does so much more, it's basically a mini laptop. Anyone else have one of these? it's such a neat toy! I can fit a pile of ebooks on an SD card.. but that's maybe a little off topic.. sorry..

Of course, I will never stop buying and reading -real- books too, but my storage space is limited, and I think ebooks are the way to go for me. I like that I can change the font size onscreen, and as I age, my hands appreciate not holding a book for hours at a time too. I don't mind sitting here at the pc with my feet on the desk, one hand on the mouse.. :) and I take my EeePC with me when I leave the house..

Anyone interested in a couple of good sites that offer free ebooks? Totally legal of course.. I've seen good ol' Project Gutenberg mentioned here, love that site - anyone else ever proof read for them at Distributed Proofreaders? I used to, but haven't had time recently.. if you are into scifi/fantasy, Baen Books have a free library at http://www.baen.com/library/ and Munseys is good as well: http://www.blackmask.com/ both sites offer free ebooks in multiple formats.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are already electronic bibles you can search and I want one because I sometimes don't have time with the children to read in the morning before we go out. It would be great to be able to slip something into my handbag I could read while out, and search when OH is quizzing me. I would still need an actual bible though. I flick through mine too much.

Reading this thread visions of that scene in The Time Machine where they don't know what real books even are, never mind what they look like.

1. http://www.gutenberg.org/

2. search keyword: bible

3. win

Many mobiles etc these days will let you read gutenberg texts, I never leave home without the bible.

personally i hope that the espresso machine does catch on.

The advantages are mainly for print on demand authors like myself, who face a continual fight to get stocked in stores and get any sort of exposure at all, mostly because of the perceived notion that all self published books are inferior quality. This is not the case, as my publishing company and countless others are beginning to prove.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another self publisher I presume? :)

I see from The Bookseller today that the company I work for plan to start selling the Sony Reader, as soon as the Waterstones 2 week excluisve period is up. Since I get staff discount, I may be tempted to buy one. Might prefer the EZPC though or whatever its called, which we also sell, and is

Edited by Talisman

Well, today is Mr Nellie and my wedding anniversary, and as a present, he bought me an e-reader! As a book and gadget lover I nearly passed out with joy!

I have to say it is a beautiful peice of engineering, it's sleek, easy to use, and the screen is incredible to read. I have just read a chapter of Dracula on it, with very tired eyes after driving for 4 hours through the rain, and I had no trouble with eye strain. It was like reading paper.

Here are some photots of Dr Newton, my AIBO, inspecting the new gadget.

ereader006.jpg

ereader023.jpg

ereader020.jpg

This summer someone borrowed the computer that had my Palm data on it and I was getting dangerously close to running out of stored books. I was beginning to read from the Kindle which isn't a good sedative. Well, I decided to embark on Kid's World of Warcrack which is the furthest one will ever get from a sedative. Fortunately, I didn't join any groups except on an ad hoc basis and got sick of it. Or maybe it was the fact that my head wouldn't stop spinning.

I didn't read much above me but does the Sony scroll and is it back-lighted and can you prop it against a travel clock?

Edited by Pilgrim

Looking for serious recommendations on e-readers. I've read some of the posts, but am squeamish about buying another electronic gadget that I'll find myself staring at it's screen for hours and hours.

I travel A LOT, so I'm tempted by something light and thin that won't burst my carry-on. But I'm already going blind from 12 hour days of staring at a computer screen!!!

Are these e-readers any different than a laptop screen???

Looking for serious recommendations on e-readers. I've read some of the posts, but am squeamish about buying another electronic gadget that I'll find myself staring at it's screen for hours and hours.

I travel A LOT, so I'm tempted by something light and thin that won't burst my carry-on. But I'm already going blind from 12 hour days of staring at a computer screen!!!

Are these e-readers any different than a laptop screen???

I would think the readers use different display methods to a laptop (or computer in general) so the display should be different.

P.S only 12 hours? Amateur!

Well, today is Mr Nellie and my wedding anniversary, and as a present, he bought me an e-reader! As a book and gadget lover I nearly passed out with joy!

I have to say it is a beautiful peice of engineering, it's sleek, easy to use, and the screen is incredible to read. I have just read a chapter of Dracula on it, with very tired eyes after driving for 4 hours through the rain, and I had no trouble with eye strain. It was like reading paper.

What a fabulous present to get Nellie. I would be interested in something like this.

Happy anniversary:)

I would think the readers use different display methods to a laptop (or computer in general) so the display should be different.

P.S only 12 hours? Amateur!

Amateur? Glad to be one and smell the roses from time to time...:D

Thanks all who recommended. Kell, I may try out the Sony just to see, but have to agree with Severnlad. Sad day when the old-fashioned book becomes obsolete.

OK folks, I have been on holiday and took my E-reader with me. I have to say that I am smitten. I was reading for 3 - 4 hours at a time with no trouble. In fact, I liked it better than paper as I could make the text size larger (I have dodogy eyes). It is very light and portable, and is still going strong on it's first charge. It boots up in about a second, or perhaps even less.

It is not like reading a PC screen, it is a totally different experience. It really is like paper. I can't tell you how impressed with it I am. I love it far more than I thought I would. It still won't replace a real book for me in terms of emotional experience of holding a book, but it does replicate exactly what it is like to read print on paper. Amazing technology. :blush:

If you would like more details about it's functionality, or some more pictures (although a photo doesn't do justice to the e-ink) then let me know and I'll put something together for you.

how does it handle graphics/diagrams ?

I was looking at my sister's sat nav this afternoon thinking, there will always be people, like me, who much prefer the feel of an ordinary map. It will be the same no doubt, with books. They are obviously great gadgets, and ideal for some people/situations, but would never replace the real thing.

In some industries Sat Nav has already taken over. Trucking etc already relies heavily on GPS rather than old fashioned map's. I think maybe in the work place these things will supersede the old fashioned ways long before they do in normal life.

i'm all for sat nav devices myself! i'd much rather have a voice telling me where to turn etc, then have to pull over a few times to read the map again..

who knows, electronic readers and other devices may well be regarded as the 'real thing' eventually.. especially if paper becomes scarce somewhere in the future.. bring it on!!! :blush: