E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

You can do a hard reboot too??? :o Why would I need to do that? :unsure: Oh my, this is just blowing my un-technominded mind :blink:

Thanks for the info Pixie! I guess I should really read the destruction manual :blush:

Charm, the only times I have to do hard reboot is if I've been on the "experimental" section - this brings up the internet part of the Kindle when Wireless is on. If for some reason the internet has frozen, it means I can't get back to home page (it's rather like when the PC freezes). I find that by holding the release button for a short time(it can be up to 1 minute) the screen will flicker and then take you to the Kindle Homepage . Switch the release button again and you carry on as before.

I tend to switch mine off completely at night or if I'm not picking up the Kindle for a few hours. Otherwise it is in sleep mode (bit like me this morning! :Zzzz: ).

Edited by SueK

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I went to turn mine completely off due to reading this thread to find that my battery had worn down and that has been on stand by (I don't think it was on wifi as I am not wireless)so I think that lasted 3 months which I am sure I read somewhere was the expectance of the charging.

Guest JellyBeans91

I recently bought an iPad and I have to say that I mainly use it for reading books. I absolutely love it. Books are amazing and even though I mostly read them in here I would never pick an ebook Oder the real thing because I love the feel and smell of real pages and I feel like I enjoy books more if I have the real life tying in front of me.

Just had to comment as my dad bought my mother a kindle for her birthday - I have never been keen on them as I look at screens enough during the day but I have to say I was well impressed! She has one of the new generation ones and the screen just looks like the page of a book with no glare or reflection showing. It was nice and light and she had only had it a day and downloaded about ten books for 7 quid or something!

My folks do travel a lot so I think it is ideal for my mum but I have to admit I am slightly more in favour of them now I have seen one up close! It would never replace my real books but I think for travelling and commuting etc it's great plus you can get some very very cheap books on it.

Hmmm might just have to add one to my Christmas list this year!

:giggle2: at Charm's "destruction" manual.

:giggle: That's what we call them in our house, they're usually only read after the destruction of the item! :lol:

Charm, the only times I have to do hard reboot is if I've been on the "experimental" section - this brings up the internet part of the Kindle when Wireless is on. If for some reason the internet has frozen, it means I can't get back to home page (it's rather like when the PC freezes). I find that by holding the release button for a short time(it can be up to 1 minute) the screen will flicker and then take you to the Kindle Homepage . Switch the release button again and you carry on as before.

I tend to switch mine off completely at night or if I'm not picking up the Kindle for a few hours. Otherwise it is in sleep mode (bit like me this morning! :Zzzz: ).

Oh I see. I'm pretty good in that I usually download what book I want then immediately turn wireless off, so hopefully it won't freeze on me ;) I've come to a compromise where if I'm reading a book on it, I'll just put it to sleep between reading. When I'm reading a paperback, I turn the kindle off completely :)

I have to say, I do miss a few things on it that you get with paperbacks like of course, the smell and feel of the book. Michelle also warned me I'd miss the colour and I didn't know what she meant, I do now! I miss the book covers and the blurbs. Also one more thing, I miss seeing the size of the book. Seeing the size of the book helps me judge how long it will take me to read, or how long it will take me to finish if I'm getting to an exciting bit, even when to expect things to happen for more predictable books. I can't really tell all this atm, I'm sure I'll be able to eventually as I get used to percentages. Could this be a good thing in the end though? I mean sometimes, seeing a huge book can be daunting and put me off :shrug:

I'm still glad I got one and am reading a book on it at the minute, I love the convenience of being able to download to it instantly - one book at a time too! If I order books I always order 4 - 6, so it doesn't seem like I'm spending as much money on books lately.... that will probably change at some point :giggle2:

I never even thought about getting a Kindle, or any eReader for that matter, until the latter part of last year. In fact, if I'm honest, I was completely against the idea. I just couldn't see how reading a book on what is little more than a computer screen could possibly compare to the enjoyment of reading an actual physical book. However, I admit I was wrong and I'm now a convert.

Don't get me wrong, no computer or handheld device will ever take the place of an actual book, at least not for me, but reading books on a Kindle is nowhere near as bad as what I thought it was going to be like. In fact other than having to press a button to turn the page it's actually just like reading a book. I mean, okay the feel and the smell is different and it's not quite as good as an actual book but in this day and age and as much I hate the thought of books going completely digital (or whatever the correct term is) it's actually really not that bad. I'd certainly say to anyone who is dead set again eReaders to at least give them a chance - you may be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

Even I have decided to get one, and I was dead set against e-books too for a long time, despite the advantages for the author (no more middle men taking a huge cut of our earnings so that we can sell our wares to the public). I have looked at the Kindle a few times in various stores and had thought about it, but it was never more than a passing thought. Yesterday though Coran and I were shopping in Guildford and sat down at one of the benches in the High Street to eat out ice creams, and I noticed that the man sitting next to us had a Kindle, so I asked if he minded us looking at it. That convinced me that it was no longer a matter of if, but when, so I will be looking at my finances over the next week or so, to see when I can afford to get one - I will probably go for the non 3G version.

• 2 weeks later...

I pressed the button and its on its way to me, I am finally getting my kindle. I am off on my hols in a couple of weeks and rather than pay Ryan Air anymore what better way is there for me to take as mant books as I want with me. Getting the non 3G version as I have great wireless in my house and visiting family so can always use their wireless if I need more books....what to get first???

I pressed the button and its on its way to me, I am finally getting my kindle. I am off on my hols in a couple of weeks and rather than pay Ryan Air anymore what better way is there for me to take as mant books as I want with me. Getting the non 3G version as I have great wireless in my house and visiting family so can always use their wireless if I need more books....what to get first???

Hope you enjoy your kindle as much as I do mine :)

I didn't think I'd ever want a Kindle. Bah Humbug! I said. :blush: Well, now we both have Kindles, and love them. We bought a Kobo a few months ago on sale, but Borders seems to be hard to deal with, and they don't have half as good a selection as Amazon, and we're always on Amazon anyhow, so we popped for them. Had to have one each. I really appreciate the fact we can download samples, to make sure the book we want is really what we want.

It's easy to use, is a lot faster than the Kobo, and the download is a snap. We didn't see any use in buying the 3G, as we have wireless at home and we tried to keep it as cheap as possible. So far, so good.

The Kindle is wonderful, and hopefully you will be hooked like other Kindle users. As for what to read first, I would suggest browsing through the Bestsellers (they have separate lists for paid books and free books), and also the Movers & Shakers, which throws up many interesting books. :D

I got my sony ereader for christmas and down loaded some of the free classic books but hadent got round to reading any of them as I still had quite a few hard back and paper back books on my shelf to read. But on this forum last week someone mentioned a free book to down load, so on sunday having some time to myself I did just that, and started reading it last night. As I was on the bus to work today and it takes half an hour I decided to take the ereader rather than a book or magazine, wow I am so into this idea now, and it was so easy to down load. I hate to admit but maybe this is the way to go, I do still like going into book stores though.

The Kindle is wonderful, and hopefully you will be hooked like other Kindle users. As for what to read first, I would suggest browsing through the Bestsellers (they have separate lists for paid books and free books), and also the Movers & Shakers, which throws up many interesting books. :D

Thanks BobblyBear, I have started using it more as I am trying to save it for my holiday next week and had a pile of library books to get through, I had found the free books list on Amazon and downloaded a couple of them, but not tried the movers and shakers will give it a go later ta!

Sadly it looks as if I will have to wait a while before I can afford to get one, as I just realised I have forgotten to pay my car tax, and it was due a week ago - whoops !

On the other hand, it is my birthday soon, so if anyone would like to surprise me ... Well, those who don't ask don't get !

Edited by Talisman

I've just seen some Victorian Mystery Murder books by Penrose Smith (never heard of him - has anyone read his stuff) and I could download six of his books for just £3.45 total. Sounds like a good bargain. I've found some other good deals on there lately. I downloaded two medieval mysteries for the total sum of £1.40 yesterday. :cool:

I've found they update their free/cheap books on a fairly regular basis and have gotten into the habit of checking them on an almost weekly basis. I've managed to pick up a few freebies and bargains along the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a Kindle at the beginning of July, and have now read 4 novels. not remarkable for a keen reader? Agree - but I have not been able to read a book for over 2 years.

I have age related macular degeneration in both eyes, currently treated by monthly Lucentis injections into my eyes. Two years ago, even large print library books were very hard work, and made my eyes ache. Now, using the second to largest font and in landscape mode on my Kindle, I can read again!!

I am a bit worried though that the very quick page turning might damage the Kindle as I turn the pages very fast.

Are there any other Kindle users here who also use a large font on the device and so have to turn pages faster than normal?

I am a bit worried though that the very quick page turning might damage the Kindle as I turn the pages very fast.

Are there any other Kindle users here who also use a large font on the device and so have to turn pages faster than normal?

It was being able to change the font size that finally sold the kindle to me as my eyes get tired (I do a lot of close up work) and I do get annoyed with how little you get on a "page" and have to turn pages more frequently, I would prefer to roll down the page myself like you can do with the pc.

I have frozen my kindle by turning the pages too quickly but then I was looking for a page rather than reading it.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got my Kindle last week - I decided to go for the non 3G version mostly because of security concerns. I can see the advatanges of 3G, but we have a good wireless connection at home, and there are plenty of hotspots about, plus it is easy enough to load up with books before an extended trip anyway. I have ordered a hemp case (as a vegetarian I really didn't want leather, and neoprene isn't imo tough enough to protect it from the knocks that I am likely to put it through - reading on the beach, on the top of cliffs etc in the middle of winter), and will probably get a reading light in due course.

The low cost of e-books combined with its portability will definately encourage me to read more. I will have to watch my spending then to make sure I don't get carried away !