E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ophelia, if they're kindle ebooks you'd bought before you bought and registered your Kindle, you can also get them sent to your Kindle from the "Manage Your Kindle" page on the amazon site. If you scroll down the page to the "Your orders" section, there's a "Deliver to..." drop down field next to each book you've previously bought where you can select to send it to your Kindle, and it will automatically download the book the next time your Kindle syncs.

Edited by chesilbeach

Ophelia, if they're kindle ebooks you'd bought before you bought and registered your Kindle, you can also get them sent to your Kindle from the "Manage Your Kindle" page on the amazon site. If you scroll down the page to the "Your orders" section, there's a "Deliver to..." drop down field next to each book you've previously bought where you can select to send it to your Kindle, and it will automatically download the book the next time your Kindle syncs.

Thanks, Chesilbeach! :hug:

Did you download via wifi or PC Bobblybear?

Hi Sue,

The update was downloaded automatically when I turned WiFi on. It took quite a while, and my Kindle restarted. I just had to leave it for about 15 minutes while it did its thing.

Hi Sue,

The update was downloaded automatically when I turned WiFi on. It took quite a while, and my Kindle restarted. I just had to leave it for about 15 minutes while it did its thing.

Thanks Bobblybear. I eventually got the update downloaded. I found a wifi spot and it took about the same time as yours. Can't say I've seen much difference though :blush:

I got an iPad on Friday and I've downloaded the iBook and Kindle readers for it. Haven't had much chance to try them out yet, but I've loaded a huge amount of ebooks onto my iPad. :)

I saw this thread on Amazon which is a little worrying - several people are reporting that the casing of their Kindles has cracked at the bottom corner(s) of the screen:

Amazon thread

Have any Kindle owners here encountered this?

Unfortunately, I have now experienced this. :irked: I only noticed it last night; it's a tiny hairline crack, so small I wasn't sure it was a crack. Rather than wait to see if it gets worse, I have rung Customer Services and they are sending out a replacement which should be here tomorrow. Great customer service, but I'm worried the same will happen again. Probably not, as it just seems to be a 'bad batch'. Oh, and I did start off with the leather clip-in covers, but my Kindle was fine when I was using it. Who knows? :huh:

Unfortunately, I have now experienced this. :irked: I only noticed it last night; it's a tiny hairline crack, so small I wasn't sure it was a crack. Rather than wait to see if it gets worse, I have rung Customer Services and they are sending out a replacement which should be here tomorrow. Great customer service, but I'm worried the same will happen again. Probably not, as it just seems to be a 'bad batch'. Oh, and I did start off with the leather clip-in covers, but my Kindle was fine when I was using it. Who knows? :huh:

How long have you had your Kindle bobblybear? I'm going to be paranoid every time I use mine now :rolleyes:

How long have you had your Kindle bobblybear? I'm going to be paranoid every time I use mine now :rolleyes:

I've had it since October. If you read the thread on Amazon, it would appear that most people with the problem purchased theirs around September/October. I do think it's quite rare, and Amazon customer services are great; it's just a pain to have to transfer everything to the new Kindle (once I work out how to do it). It must be a design flaw - I mean it's solid plastic, and the only 'strain' it really gets is from pushing the buttons to turn the page. :irked: I'll be extra careful now, even though I was careful with it anyway. :rolleyes:

I have just received my replacement Kindle. Great customer service - I called at about 5.30pm last night, and the new one was here at 11am. :D It was easy to transfer all my purchased items onto the new Kindle - that was the part I was worried about. Hopefully, this one will fare better.

:(

Sorry to hear that. It does seem to be an ongoing problem, judging by the Amazon forums, with people who bought theirs anywhere between September and now encountering it. I haven't encountered it yet but it's starting to feel almost inevitable.

At least Amazon customer service are being really helpful to people who have had the problem. I haven't seen any issues with mine, and I use it every day, but I haven't used those covers, mine is a fabric bag style cover which seems to be keeping the crumbs and water off it while it's in my bag!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this is right place to post this.

I'm seriously considering buying one of these, cause I read a hell of lot, but what I really would like to know, how easy is it to use, like can you download stright from the internet right on to kindle, or do you need to use your PC, I have broadband would that make much difference.

All help & advice I would be so greatful. :D

I have one and I don't have wireless

I guess if you do have wi-fi it would be easy peasy but because I don't I have to copy paste from my "kindle for my pc" (available to download from amazon for free) to the kindle whilst plugged into the pc which did take me a while to work out.

you can read books from the "kindle for my pc" on your pc so you don't even need the kindle for that but then you will have to sit in front of your pc. I downloaded this before getting my kindle and then purchased some free books to give it a try first but found whenever I sat down to read them I would get distracted and start searching the net instead.

does that answer your question ?

I've merged the two. :)

I have a Kindle and am able to download books straight to my Kindle via WhisperNet, their wireless system. When you buy a book you get the option of where you can send it.

It is love with my Kindle, and I wouldn't be without it now, although it will never halt my love of books. I suggest you take a look on Amazon and just peruse the Kindle pages, where most of your questions will be answered.

I've merged the two. :)

I have a Kindle and am able to download books straight to my Kindle via WhisperNet, their wireless system. When you buy a book you get the option of where you can send it.

Same here. I bought the 3g version (bit more expensive) but I wanted to be able to download books anywhere rather than just near my PC. It is great to be able to do that. Like Chrissy, I just love my Kindle too. I cuddle mine :giggle2:

Ps: Your'e an earlybird Chrissy :)

Was out reading my Kindle in the coffee shop this morning, and for the second time in 24 hours, someone came over to ask if the could look at my Kindle. They'd seen me reading it in there before and this time she just wanted to ask how I got on with it and have a look. Both this lady and the other person who asked me about it were impressed by the look of the screen, and the person who asked me about it yesterday commented on how good the screen was - he'd seen it on the advert on television, but couldn't quite believe how clear the text was and that it did actually look like it does on the advert.

I think I've convinced at least half a dozen people to buy one since I've had mine, just by letting them have a quick look at mine, get a feel for it and show them how easy it is to change the font size and how many books I've already got on it - I think I should get a commission at this rate!

• 2 weeks later...

A new Kindle for $114.00 (Sorry for the US currency, but that's where I live. Damn Yank, I know!) is being released on May 3rd. My birthday is May 13th.

Are the powers that be trying to tell me something?

I'm tempted... :unsure::blink:

A new Kindle for $114.00 (Sorry for the US currency, but that's where I live. Damn Yank, I know!) is being released on May 3rd. My birthday is May 13th.

I'm tempted... :unsure::blink:

I know a great first book you could buy.....Now what is it's name?

'Home in Stirrups'? No.

'Hut of Snorting'?

No.......I know 'HOUSE OF SILENCE' That's the one :giggle2:

I know a great first book you could buy.....Now what is it's name?

'Home in Stirrups'? No.

'Hut of Snorting'?

No.......I know 'HOUSE OF SILENCE' That's the one :giggle2:

and I'll second that, it's next on my kindle to read :)

Yes, I think they are. :D You should definitely go for it! I was surprised the other day to see how cheap Kindles have become. The Aussie dollar is particularly strong at the moment, so it would be an even better deal for me, but I've just bought an iPad and even though it's not a dedicated ereader, it'll do me for now. ;)

I do love my ereader, but that doesent stop me from buying books as well,

I love the thought of starting a new book but when I go away I don't want the hassle of carrying a couple of books with me,