How Much Do You Read A Day?

Adam

on average, probably 50-75 a day. i can do more or less though.

it depends on the book and how much time i have. if its a really good book (i.e. harry potter) and i havent read it before i can finish it in 2-3 days. if its not that great, but worth reading, it normally wont take me more than a week.

I've got to admit, I love travelling by air or rail - I don't even mind waiting at the airport or station, as I can get even more reading in - and there's no TV to distract me!

I love my daily train commute because it allows me to get plenty of reading done. :lol: And my train is usually pretty quiet so there are no distractions.

The last few days I've been averaging around 50 pages per day. I was getting to the end of my novel and really getting into it. I'm hoping to knock off one novel today because I'll be away on the weekend and I don't want to start something long before I go (but I can't go a day without reading anything!). It's a short book aimed at younger readers so hopefully I'll be able to knock it off (provided I can tear myself away from this forum!)

Here's the thing for me at the moment.. I'm finding it hard to actually sit with a book, without feeling really guilty that I should be doing something else.. stuff around the house, playing with the kids, working on the background stuff here.. etc etc. How did I start feeling guilty about reading??!

At the moment I have been able to read 20 - 40 pages whilst at college. Where more or less all of the students spend their free time in the cafeteria, I tend to spend it in either the library or a quiet part of the college reading my book and doing homework. There can be anything up to 500 students in the cafeteria at one time, and as I hate being surrounded by crowds of shouting students, I definitely prefer staying in the quiet.

Here's the thing for me at the moment.. I'm finding it hard to actually sit with a book, without feeling really guilty that I should be doing something else.. stuff around the house, playing with the kids, working on the background stuff here.. etc etc. How did I start feeling guilty about reading??!

LOL - know what you mean Michelle - I feel guilty if I take an hour out from chores on days I'm not working to read yet if I was at work I would get an hours lunch break (and read there guilt free!).

How much I'll read during any given day depends greatly on how much time I have in a day to dedicate to reading. Sometimes I've had hours to devote to reading and have been able to read an entire 600-700 page novel in a day, and sometimes I only have the few minutes that I'm able to stay awake after retiring to bed in the evening.

On average, it's nice to be able to read 60-70 pages of a novel in a given day, as I find that just reading a book in small dribs and drabs tends to lend itself to not getting much out of the read, and eventually giving up on the book entirely before finishing it.

I've got to admit, I love travelling by air or rail - I don't even mind waiting at the airport or station, as I can get even more reading in - and there's no TV to distract me!

I can easily read on a train. When I used to catch the train to work I'd get so much reading done - at least 3 hours worth per day. However, reading on a plane is a completely different story. I'm amazed I managed to read a few pages (and it was literally just a few pages!) on this flight I just did; usually I can't read at all on a plane or at an airport. I find it too distracting and noisy with all the people about. :lol:

I'm like that too, and could ask the same question. Even now at this time of night, I am thinking of all the things I should have done today and haven't. The reality is probably that I should forget about it and read then start again tomorrow, but what will I do?

At the moment I have been able to read 20 - 40 pages whilst at college. Where more or less all of the students spend their free time in the cafeteria, I tend to spend it in either the library or a quiet part of the college reading my book and doing homework. There can be anything up to 500 students in the cafeteria at one time, and as I hate being surrounded by crowds of shouting students, I definitely prefer staying in the quiet.

I prefer the quiet too. Students are great, but I love to get quiet time to myself, especially to read.

I've barely read anything at all in four days now, as I got thrown right off track having strangers in the house for two days and then felt slightly headachy over this weekend (not enough to make it very painful - more a brain-fog instead). I actually managed to read two chapters of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall last night, but I was so tired I didn't get any farther. I had started reading The Mystic Masseur last week, but I didn't get very far into it and now I've gone off the idea, so I think I'll put that one to one side for a while and perhaps go back to it another time. I think I might keep on with Wildfell Hall though - it looks quite interesting. I seem to be getting right into the Classics now, so my Classics Challenge has had the desired effect!

Hi Kell - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is definately worth perservering with. :D

Here's hoping you have plenty of undisturbed reading so that you can enjoy it.

Well, I'm about half way through it now and I have to say I'm very much enjoying it! I'm not reading it as quickly as I usually would, though, as I'm still getting back into reading again after last week's four-day dry patch - I always have trouble getting back into things again after that kind of thing...

I think I'm probably averaging maybe 40-50 pages a day at the moment, so I'm going at half-speed.

I never get enough time to read these days..it's impossible at the office, and at home I have to wait till my baby's asleep..nevertheless I manage to get 1 or 2 chapters of reading every night.

I get that one. A Mummy cannot do anything relaxing while the baby is awake.

How much do you read in a day? That is the original Q. I read tons of other writer's stuff -- critiquing them. Unfortunately for me, that doesn't leave much time for chosen works. Fortunately, the authors I help are already pretty good writers, so I'm not reading junk.

All in all: about 20-25 manuscript formatted pages a day.

How much do you read in a day? That is the original Q. I read tons of other writer's stuff -- critiquing them. Unfortunately for me, that doesn't leave much time for chosen works. Fortunately, the authors I help are already pretty good writers, so I'm not reading junk.

All in all: about 20-25 manuscript formatted pages a day.

Is that because of your publishing company?

It depends on the book. I can read anywhere from 20 to 100 pages in a day. I think the average, though, is about 60 pages, if I'm serious about reading it. But, if I'm reading before going to sleep, I'm lucky if I can do 10 pages.:D

It's tidal for me. It's pretty neap that I can read huge chunks of books in the summertime and even on weekends. And then it's high tide I went and did my job and I'm drowning in work and have to actually teach or write or study (reading homework articles is not reading, lol).

The other odd bit is that sometimes I find a book so tasty I don't want to finish the adventure. This stops me from paddling and I just float inside a book for weeks, reading a little bit at a time.

Still having a bit of trouble getting back into reading after having all those disturbances last week. Still, I managed to finish (and enjoyed) The Tenant of Wildfell Hall last night, and am hoping that Join Me by Danny Wallace will help get me back into the swing of things, as it's light and funny.

Still averaging at about 30 pages a day at the moment though. :D

I'm so glad you liked The Tenant of Wildfell Hall! It was the first Anne Bronte I read. Make sure you review it for the blog. Also, 30 pages a day isn't too bad! :D