Where is your favourite reading place?

Spooncat

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll vote for standing in the kitchen. Just watch that food doesn't burn (homemade potato cakes in my case this supper time).

Yes some days it can be the only place you get a chance - a few pages while the potatoes boil or the bolognese simmers.

Probably on my bed. I love reading on the lounge but my family is usually around and the TV is on. I prefer quiet if possible.

I look forward to getting a place of my own because I want to get one of those really comfy lounges that you sink into (and probably can't get out of again! :()

Probably on my bed. I love reading on the lounge but my family is usually around and the TV is on. I prefer quiet if possible.

That's exactly why I prefer reading in the bedroom. Noise or other people around distract me, even if they are carrying on with their own thing. I also find lighting is a big factor. I can't read in anything short of bright light - otherwise I get really uncomfy and restless. :(

My favourite place has to be in the bath. On Sunday evenings I indulge myself with a hot bubble bath with candles (in winter, not the same in summer) and a bottle of white and of course a book. Everybody at home knows that this is 'me' time and dad is in charge. Needless to say I take full advantage and have been known to stay in there for a long long time. Bed has to be the second favourite place, usually because by that time the kids are tucked in and there is some peace. To my shame I have been known to tell hubby not to bother coming up to bed for at least an hour as I am reading :(. Another favourite place used to be my old recliner chair - it was sooooo comfy but eventually I had to part with it because the whole suite got too tacky. Still regret not getting another suite with recliner. Apart from that everywhere is a good place to read :)

I rarely read in bed, as I usually do stuff up until I'm too tired to keep my eyes open anymore before going to bed. Sometimes, though, if I feel my mind is racing around too much, I like to relax it by doing a Sudoku in bed. BF keeps telling me that's the weirdest thing ever, that no normal person does Sudoku to help them sleep, but it works for me.

I always read in bed - unfortunately, this sometimes (often) results in not enough sleep! There are also a few other places I always take a book:

- on bus/train/plane journeys, not matter how short. I feel the same way about my iPod and my iPod-to-radio adapter for car journeys, even of only 5010 mins!

- whilst eating. Seriously terrible habit, but if I'm having a quick lunch by myself (obviously wouldn't do this if I had company), I'll always have a book.