Chaliepud's Reading in 2015.

chaliepud

I'll have to see if I can get a pic next time I see it, it's in the multi-storey car park but on the residents floor so shouldn't be too hard. :)

It would be so cool! Have you seen any books in the car? I wonder if the owner is a reader... Maybe put a post-it on a window and tell them about the forum :D

Ah, no pressure for you to read Human Traces, we need to read books when we feel ready for them, that's the reason I left the local book club, I was rarely in the mood for the books that were picked and just craved reading one of my own.   Enjoy your new bookcase, my kids couldn't believe how excited I was while waiting for my new one to be delivered! 

Reading is definitely a very 'moody' thing, one needs to be ready for a certain book to be able to appreciate it to the fullest. But I've now stopped reserving books from the library, should be getting a few earlier reservations in but I'm finally leaning towards that good old TBR and my bookcase... :cool:

Did your kids think you were cuckoo to get so excited about a bookcase? :D Have they not learned that this is how you roll? :D

Charlie is very happy with his decision and has his first Business class tomorrow morning, I think it is a subject that will really suit him and I can imagine that being the direction he may take after A Levels, he just needs to put in loads of effort as 4 AS levels is no mean feat when you are naturally a little lazy, enthusiastic, but lazy! 

Good to hear he's happy! I think it's admirable that he knows what he wants and is able to make such an educated decision at such a young age. I was never that sure myself in his age. You can be proud! :yes:

I had a rather stressful week last week (I'm not that easily stressed as a rule), Obi isn't in the best of health so have had a couple of visits to the vest, the prognosis isn't great but at least he is more comfortable and happier for now, so he is getting lots of love and TLC. Jojo hurt her foot, luckily just a gash between her pads which will heal, but will the little madam take it easy to let it heal, of course not  

I'm sorry I've missed this, I've only just read the post :( What's wrong with poor Obi?  :empathy:   I'm glad he's feeling more comfortable though. I'm sure he'll be getting plenty of TLC at your place! I hope Jojo's already made a full recovery. Seemed like her happy old self when you told me about her ball plays in the October thread :D

A new washing machine was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday so I duly waited in for the entire four hour slot.. nothing! Called them and they said they had come and I must not have been there/heard them. They had a picture of my front door apparently to prove they had been..no, they proved I had a front door!    I asked to see the photo and suddenly they were unable to call it up on the computer, I wanted to see if my car was in the pic as that would have proved they had come too early. They left no calling card and didn't call before arrival as they were supposed to, all completely rubbish! It's coming tomorrow now so joy of joys I have another 4 hours stuck at home! On the funny side though, while I was on the phone to customer services I did ask one of the kids to sneak around the front to ring the doorbell so they could demonstrate why we never miss somebody at the door, and it is rare anyone gets to the front door without the dogs noticing as we have a gravel driveway! 

Sounds very suspicious... They were only covering for their lazy arses!! Haha, you're really cunning, to make your kid go to the door to ring the doorbell and get the dogs booming :D Note to self: gravel driveway is a good, good thing... I've never thought of that! 

AND, AND, I broke a tooth! Thankfully not painful but of course another thing that needs dealing with! 

Ah, so that's the filling appointment you were talking about? Glad it's fixed now! I hope you don't need any filling in your tongue :giggle2:

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be so cool! Have you seen any books in the car? I wonder if the owner is a reader... Maybe put a post-it on a window and tell them about the forum :D

I've not stopped to look, I tend to go in the other car park in town as it has an easier, ticketless system (I lose tickets easily!) I will make an effort to have a look next time! :)

Reading is definitely a very 'moody' thing, one needs to be ready for a certain book to be able to appreciate it to the fullest. But I've now stopped reserving books from the library, should be getting a few earlier reservations in but I'm finally leaning towards that good old TBR and my bookcase... :cool:

Oh yes, I am a very moody reader, that was the reason I left the local book club as I found it hard to read what I was told to read..even when it was a book I had originally chosen! :D

Did your kids think you were cuckoo to get so excited about a bookcase? :D Have they not learned that this is how you roll? :D

They just don't get it! None of them are real readers (maybe when they get older they will be). They do kind of understand that reading is what I love, among other things, but the excitement for a new bookcase made absolutely no sense to them. But horses for courses, I can't understand how they can spend so much time playing one game on the PS4.

Good to hear he's happy! I think it's admirable that he knows what he wants and is able to make such an educated decision at such a young age. I was never that sure myself in his age. You can be proud! :yes:

He certainly knows what he likes, but so far has no idea what he wants to do as a career. He really isn't keen on going to university as he can't bear the thought of even more years of intense studying, I'm also not sure he would suit university life, he would love the sports side of getting involved but would bore quickly of the party lifestyle and would very quickly get fed up of looking after himself! I think he will be here for a while yet! :) He likes the idea of an apprenticeship and thankfully the UK are really encouraging companies to take on more apprentices so that may be the direction he goes in.

I'm sorry I've missed this, I've only just read the post :( What's wrong with poor Obi?  :empathy:   I'm glad he's feeling more comfortable though. I'm sure he'll be getting plenty of TLC at your place! I hope Jojo's already made a full recovery. Seemed like her happy old self when you told me about her ball plays in the October thread :D

My poor boy has a sarcoma on his shoulder, close to his neck and it is growing rapidly sadly. The vets are not keen to move it as it is in his shoulder joint and muscle, he hasn't tolerated anaesthetics well in the past and he truly hates being at the vets, he has to wear a muzzle and gets so frightened he becomes a bit aggressive which in turn makes him (and everyone else!) very stressed. He will be 12 on the 10th of this month which is a good age so we will let nature takes its course. He is now on anti inflammatories and a nerve blocking pain medication which is working wonders for his pain and comfort levels so he is very happy for now. He can still enjoy his walks and a little ball play and can still climb the stairs to sleep beside my bed. We will review his situation when we need to, for now he is getting a few extra treats and lots of hugs which are his favourite thing in the whole world.  :wub: 

Sounds very suspicious... They were only covering for their lazy arses!! Haha, you're really cunning, to make your kid go to the door to ring the doorbell and get the dogs booming :D Note to self: gravel driveway is a good, good thing... I've never thought of that! 

Any excuse for them to exercise their lungs! A few years ago I entered a radio contest to win some Elton John tickets, all you had to do was make your dogs speak, easy peasy! :D

Ah, so that's the filling appointment you were talking about? Glad it's fixed now! I hope you don't need any filling in your tongue :giggle2:

All good now, and glad it's over, tongue working fine thankfully, though whether the kids are happy about that I don't know?......  :giggle:

Edited by chaliepud

• 3 weeks later...

Life has been busy busy, but Steve is home for half term so I had a much needed day out with one of my closest friends. We went to St Albans, I haven't been there since i lived in the area around 20 years ago and it has barely changed. It has the most amazing cathedral, it is huge but every part of it is beautiful with amazing carving and stained glass. We had a quickish look around but will definitely go for a proper look, Maybe in the spring when it is a little warmer. As luck would have it there was a charity book sale in the Town Hall so we of course couldn't refuse. The paperbacks were only 50p or three for £1, there were the usual tattered older books but also lots of recent releases in great condition. My friend and I shared them between ourselves and will swap around as we read them. :)

This is my share of the books:

The Secrets of the Notebook - Eve Haas

The Twilight Hour - Nicci Gerrard

Swan Music - Sarah Harrison

I Let You Go - Clare Mackintosh

One Step Too Far - Tina Seksis

The Bed I Made - Lucie Whitehouse

The Carriage House - Louisa Hall

11.22.63 - Stephen King

Before I Met You - Lisa Jewell

The Ice Twins - S.K Tremayne

I have been a little book spending crazy over the last couple of months, I blame my excitement over my new bookcase.  :giggle: I need to calm down now though as I have entered the overflow phase again. I have well over 100 TBR now which certainly wasn't my plan for 2015 as it probably translates to over 2 years reading at my current pace! Plus, it means my bookcases are looking a bit messier again and that ruins my other aim for 2105, a clean, tidy and uncluttered home! :) I'll update my TBR list now and see for sure how many I have to read. :readingtwo:

Sounds like I should give it a go soon, I may have to go back to the Book Box method of selection as I'm up to almost 120 on my TBR shelves now, which makes it so hard to choose my next read. I think it's almost certainly the highest it has ever been, I must exercise some self restraint! :o

Sounds like I should give it a go soon, I may have to go back to the Book Box method of selection as I'm up to almost 120 on my TBR shelves now, which makes it so hard to choose my next read. I think it's almost certainly the highest it has ever been, I must exercise some self restraint! :o

120 sounds like a model of restraint.  I'm currently on around 1350!!

120 is plenty for me thanks, I couldn't have more than I could hope to read in my lifetime and I struggle to pick a book as it is.

Robbie has pulled out 'Sheltering Rain' (Jojo Moyes) from my Book Box. It's one of her older and less well received titles so I'm not expecting anything too amazing. :)

I hope you enjoy your new books :)! I have read 31 Dream Street and The Truth About Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell and I liked those. I have Before I Met You but I haven't yet read that one, I hope you like it.

I'll look those two up if I like Before I met You, I've actually got it twice, it wasn't until I typed the titles onto Goodreads that I realised I already have it on my Kobo, unsurprising though as Steve has been using it for the last year! :)

I'll look those two up if I like Before I met You, I've actually got it twice, it wasn't until I typed the titles onto Goodreads that I realised I already have it on my Kobo, unsurprising though as Steve has been using it for the last year! :)

That makes sense :). I hope you don't mind having both a physical and a digital copy of a book. I always feel so bad when I accidentally buy a physical copy of a book I already owned physically (if that makes sense).

That makes sense :). I hope you don't mind having both a physical and a digital copy of a book. I always feel so bad when I accidentally buy a physical copy of a book I already owned physically (if that makes sense).

I would mind normally but seeing as the physical copy was only 50p it'll be fine, plus a friend or a charity shop will certainly benefit from my mistake! :)

I'm currently reading Jojo Moyes's first novel, Sheltering Rain, it has had mixed reviews but I'm enjoying it so far. :)

Oh yes, I am a very moody reader, that was the reason I left the local book club as I found it hard to read what I was told to read..even when it was a book I had originally chosen! 

Very late in getting back to this, been so busy with stuff recently :(  But I know what you mean about not feeling like reading the book you've chosen yourself in the end :D It's a bit embarrassing when you've managed to convinced the other persons to pick the book up and then don't feel like making the effort yourself, just because it doesn't fit your mood :giggle2::D 

He certainly knows what he likes, but so far has no idea what he wants to do as a career. He really isn't keen on going to university as he can't bear the thought of even more years of intense studying, I'm also not sure he would suit university life, he would love the sports side of getting involved but would bore quickly of the party lifestyle and would very quickly get fed up of looking after himself! I think he will be here for a while yet! He likes the idea of an apprenticeship and thankfully the UK are really encouraging companies to take on more apprentices so that may be the direction he goes in.

I think apprenticeship is a great idea. Not everyone needs to go to uni to make something of themselves and make a living. There are so many overqualified uni graduates out there these days who are unemployed and unable to get a job that matches their education. An apprenticeship is a much more practical way of learning new skills. Whatever works for each individual :yes: 

My poor boy has a sarcoma on his shoulder, close to his neck and it is growing rapidly sadly. The vets are not keen to move it as it is in his shoulder joint and muscle, he hasn't tolerated anaesthetics well in the past and he truly hates being at the vets, he has to wear a muzzle and gets so frightened he becomes a bit aggressive which in turn makes him (and everyone else!) very stressed. He will be 12 on the 10th of this month which is a good age so we will let nature takes its course. He is now on anti inflammatories and a nerve blocking pain medication which is working wonders for his pain and comfort levels so he is very happy for now. He can still enjoy his walks and a little ball play and can still climb the stairs to sleep beside my bed. We will review his situation when we need to, for now he is getting a few extra treats and lots of hugs which are his favourite thing in the whole world.  

I'm so very sorry to hear this :( :(  :console:  :console:  And I'm sorry to hear that Obi doesn't do well at the vet's and so it's more difficult to treat him :( It must be so frustrating for you and your family!  :empathy:   It's so hard when there's nothing to do but to try and make his life as comfortable as possible. I'm so happy that the meds are working so well, that's so important! He can still have happy days and months and go about life the way he's used to :smile2: He is such a special boy, and this may seem a bit odd to you as I've never even met him, but it's always been so much fun to read about him and his adventures and he's had a soft spot in my heart for quite a while now :blush: 

Give him a treat for me, will you :smile2: And plenty of huggles!!! 

On another note, so nice to hear Steve's home!  You deserved a bit of bookish splurging :D I can't say I've read any of the titles you purchased, but I've heard of the I Let You Go novel and it's on my wishlist. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when you get to it :) 

I'm so very sorry to hear this :( :( :console::console: And I'm sorry to hear that Obi doesn't do well at the vet's and so it's more difficult to treat him :( It must be so frustrating for you and your family! :empathy: It's so hard when there's nothing to do but to try and make his life as comfortable as possible. I'm so happy that the meds are working so well, that's so important! He can still have happy days and months and go about life the way he's used to :smile2: He is such a special boy, and this may seem a bit odd to you as I've never even met him, but it's always been so much fun to read about him and his adventures and he's had a soft spot in my heart for quite a while now :blush:

Give him a treat for me, will you :smile2: And plenty of huggles!!!

He's what behaviourists call 'a complex character' :D but he is such a sweetie with us and it is so hard to see his health deteriorating when he used to be such a strong, vital dog that could command respect from all. I think I will make an appointment at the Vets and she if there is any other medication that may be worth trying to make him more comfortable. I know that he only has a limited time left with us and I want that to be decent for him as I don't want to see him suffer in any way. :( Edited by chaliepud

Awwww the poor thing :(. I missed your post about him because I was on holiday. I hope he won't suffer so much and I wish you lots of strength :(.

I'm sorry to read about your boy too.  :hug:   It sounds like you're doing all you can to keep him comfy and happy (of course  you are - we wouldn't expect anything less of you).  Give him a tummy rub from me.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I hope he's still doing OK and being spoilt!  What type of dog is he?  And I read the earlier post about Jojo's foot, is that OK now?

Thank you all, we have taken him off the nerve blocker as it was making him so woozy and miserable. He is more like his old self today, following me around a little like he always has, not especially mobile but he seems comfortable enough for the moment. I think I will make an appointment for early next week to discuss any other possible meds. He's such a cuddle boy still, I love him to bits! :)Madeleine, he and Jojo are blue Australian Cattle Dogs, very challenging, but they are very special and rewarding to own. (Jojo's foot is fine now thanks) 

Oh no, sorry to hear about Obi. :hug: Our previous dog wasn't good with the vet either and had to be muzzled, as he really kicked off a few times. :blush2:  Hopefully the vet can prescribe some other medication that will help ease his pain and make him a bit more comfortable. Happy to hear he is being spoilt - they so deserve it, don't they? :smile:

He's what behaviourists call 'a complex character' :D but he is such a sweetie with us and it is so hard to see his health deteriorating when he used to be such a strong, vital dog that could command respect from all.

:lol: He sure seems complex, from all the stories you've told us :D He is no ass kisser, he ain't! :D But he loves his family dearly and devotedly. I bet he loved the roast dinner! Nom nom nom :smile2: 

He did indeed and he has had a little homemade chicken soup today and a couple of maltesers. :) The kids are having sausages this evening so no doubt some will find its way to him. Jojo isn't overly impressed as her dodgy digestive sysyem precludes most of the yummy things us humans eat! 

I did wonder where Jojo leaves with all this: she must be noticing all the extra treats Obi's getting, but you probably can't be giving her the same amount of stuff Obi's getting because she'd put on weight, me thinks! And she might develop too fine a taste and not go back to a more regimented diet...