Chaliepud's Reading in 2015.

chaliepud

Jojo has a dodgy digestive system so she rarely gets anything than her usual food, most of my pockets have some of her kibble in (as does the washing machine  :blush2: ). She is allowed the odd piece of chicken, potato or veg but it isn't worth risking much else as we all suffer the results!  :o

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was buying Christmas pressies on Amazon and my finger slipped! I seem to have purchased three books in the three paperbacks for £10 deal!

Inside The O'Briens - Lisa Genova

The Letter - Kathryn Hughes

The Throwaway Children - Diney Costeloe (A new author to me, I am currently halfway through The Ashgrove and it is great!) :)

Maybe I 'll be good from now on....maybe.....  :P

Jojo has a dodgy digestive system so she rarely gets anything than her usual food, most of my pockets have some of her kibble in (as does the washing machine  :blush2: ). She is allowed the odd piece of chicken, potato or veg but it isn't worth risking much else as we all suffer the results!  :o

Awww, poor Jojo :(  My ex's sister's dog is multi-multi-allergic and he had to be tested for a lot of things, they had to figure out what it was that he could actually eat. It took a few years (I'm not even sure if they've figured it all out by now!) and the poor chap was always on a diet of one or two very simple food items in order to see how he could deal with them. He really suffered because he's one of those dogs that would eat anything and everything in sight. It's heart breaking when you can't explain to them that it's for their own good :( 

I was buying Christmas pressies on Amazon and my finger slipped! I seem to have purchased three books in the three paperbacks for £10 deal!

Inside The O'Briens - Lisa Genova

The Letter - Kathryn Hughes

The Throwaway Children - Diney Costeloe (A new author to me, I am currently halfway through The Ashgrove and it is great!) :)

Maybe I 'll be good from now on....maybe.....  :P

:lol: Had someone oiled your keyboard?? How else do you explain the finger slipperage? :D 

I forget, have you read Lisa Genova's books before? Was it perhaps you who'd added the ItO'B on your wishlist on Goodreads and it was there that I found out about it and added it to my own wishlist? I hope it's good. It sounds really really interesting. I've only read one of her books before but it was awesome. 

Thankfully Jojo is more than happy to be rewarded with playing, she loves to tug and wrestle and she would play fetch all day if we let her. Of course she likes cat herding too but we try to keep that to a minimum! :D

I haven't read any Lisa Genova yet, I did have Still Alice on my TBR but then went to see the film (excellent but heart rending) with a friend so ended up giving the book away. Hopefully I'll get to it soon. 

I've today started Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon, think this may be an unusual one! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Nicola-Yoon/dp/0552574236/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446823028&sr=1-1&keywords=everything+everything

Thankfully Jojo is more than happy to be rewarded with playing, she loves to tug and wrestle and she would play fetch all day if we let her. Of course she likes cat herding too but we try to keep that to a minimum! :D

That's a good thing! :D Think if she was a Lab or a Goldie, she'd be miserable not being able to eat whatever :D 

I haven't read any Lisa Genova yet, I did have Still Alice on my TBR but then went to see the film (excellent but heart rending) with a friend so ended up giving the book away. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.

I had to go and check my Goodreads feed. I swear, someone had added the book to their wishlist or TBR pile and that's how I got wind of the novel. Then I added it to my own wishlist, and then I remember you liking that status. But I couldn't see that status update by whoever it was, anymore. It's a mystery!  :hide:

Ah sorry, yes I did add it on Goodreads but only a few days ago I think. But I must've got the idea from somewhere.. Who knows?! :D

Obi would hate to not have any treats, his favourite is licking the butter wrapper, that would be one of the worst possible things for Jojo! :(

Ah sorry, yes I did add it on Goodreads but only a few days ago I think. But I must've got the idea from somewhere.. Who knows?! :D

:lol: Checked GR again and according to that website, I added it to my wishlist on 1.11., and you added it on 5.11. So I think you may have added it on your wishlist after having seen it on mine? If that's the case, then it remains a mystery who added it to their list before me, and from whom I got the idea :D 

Obi would hate to not have any treats, his favourite is licking the butter wrapper, that would be one of the worst possible things for Jojo! :(

Ewww, licking the butter wrapper :D Yuck!! :D 

Maybe it was one of those trending recommendations? A few of those have caught my eye.

A soggy day here, watched the boys play and referee football in the rain and gales and just walked Jojo, thankfully not raining quite as much for that, it's so mild she even managed a little swim, not bad for November! :)

Off to badminton next, then maybe the fireworks if Robbie is bothered. :)

Maybe it was one of those trending recommendations? A few of those have caught my eye.

It may have been... It must have been, because I haven't found out who it was. :shrug: No matter, as long as one got wind of the book! :D I'll have to give it a rest because I'm never going to find out who/what it was! :D (It's silly how the smallest things can sometimes bother one so much :rolleyes::D )

A soggy day here, watched the boys play and referee football in the rain and gales and just walked Jojo, thankfully not raining quite as much for that, it's so mild she even managed a little swim, not bad for November! :)

Off to badminton next, then maybe the fireworks if Robbie is bothered. :)

Wow, a swim in November? It's been unseasonably mild over here, too: we've actually set a few new records for November :)

Is it some special day over there, what with the fireworks?

Yes, the 5th of November is Guy Fawkes night where we commemorate his attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, bonfires and fireworks abound in the week around the date with many public shows taking place. Robbie wasn't keen in the end so we just watched a few from our window and had a quiet night in. Charlie went out with a few friends to the village show and Maddie went to Wentworth Golf Course with a friend and her family for the large show held there. Thankfully Obi and Jojo aren't overly bothered by the bangs so I was just careful to wait until they had all finished before letting them in the garden. :)

I've started The Humans by Matt Haig, not what I was expecting at all! :D

I quite liked V for Vendetta. I'm not British though, so that's from a Dutch point of view, but still. I would recommend it if it sounds like your sort of film :).

It was on Sky On Demand so I have downloaded it to watch with my older two. :) I'm not sure when though as I'm A Celebrity starts on Sunday and they are both big fans and despite by reticence I always end up watching it too!  :P

Haven't been around much so it's ages since I posted in here. Sorry to hear about Obi :(

Thanks Noll, he seems to have stabilised for now as long as I only take him for short walks, basically just a chance to have a good sniff round and grumble at the odd Golden Retriever! :D

In book news, I am helping organise the Christmas Fair at Robbie's school and unfortunately a lot of the books have been dropped off at my house.. You all know what that means!  :o  :blush2:

Ha, these dogs are such characters! I'm probably late to notice but is Pamuk named after the author Orhan Pamuk? :)

No, though my mum did buy a book by him once she found out there was an author with the name Pamuk :). 'Pamuk' means 'cotton' in Turkish, and that's what she was named for, because her fur is white / cream-ish and reminded whoever named her, of white cotton. She came from Turkey when she was ~8 months old and was brought here, because the people couldn't care for her in Turkey. We ended up adopting her, after she spent a few weeks at a foster family.

Yes, the 5th of November is Guy Fawkes night where we commemorate his attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, bonfires and fireworks abound in the week around the date with many public shows taking place. Robbie wasn't keen in the end so we just watched a few from our window and had a quiet night in. Charlie went out with a few friends to the village show and Maddie went to Wentworth Golf Course with a friend and her family for the large show held there. Thankfully Obi and Jojo aren't overly bothered by the bangs so I was just careful to wait until they had all finished before letting them in the garden. 

Ah, Guy Fawkes! Of course I've heard of him but I will freely admit that it's one of the traditions / annual days by the Brits that I always forget about. I've been taught the story behind it all but I'm not very good at history and it's one of those things that I've forgotten about... :blush: In my defence, I suck at Finnish history, too :giggle2::D 

It's great that Obi and Jojo don't get freaked out by fireworks! I know they can be a huge nuisance with some. When I was doggy sitting for a friend a few weeks ago, some kids lit a few things (I don't know what they were, but just those small things, that go bang) at the park where I was heading and the Jack Russell Terrier got really scared and didn't want to go there. We took a turn and went some place else. I had a good mind to go over and tell the kids off for it! (But then kids are kids... They only did a few. It was just poor timing, unfortunately)

It's great that Obi and Jojo don't get freaked out by fireworks! I know they can be a huge nuisance with some. When I was doggy sitting for a friend a few weeks ago, some kids lit a few things (I don't know what they were, but just those small things, that go bang) at the park where I was heading and the Jack Russell Terrier got really scared and didn't want to go there. We took a turn and went some place else. I had a good mind to go over and tell the kids off for it! (But then kids are kids... They only did a few. It was just poor timing, unfortunately)

Poor little thing! :( That's how a lot of noise phobias start. :( Hope fully he will be ok next time he hears loud noises. I probably would have had words with the kids, especially as it is illegal over here for kids to handle them, and for them to be let off during the day. Little monsters!  :censored:

No, though my mum did buy a book by him once she found out there was an author with the name Pamuk :). 'Pamuk' means 'cotton' in Turkish, and that's what she was named for, because her fur is white / cream-ish and reminded whoever named her, of white cotton. She came from Turkey when she was ~8 months old and was brought here, because the people couldn't care for her in Turkey. We ended up adopting her, after she spent a few weeks at a foster family.

That makes sense, I like names for dogs that mean something.. An Obi is a blue rainforest bird (He is a blue Cattle Dog), it was a waste of time putting the effort in to his name though as of course the question we are always asked is whether he is named after Obe Wan Kenobe! So much so that we often now call him Obi1! :D :D

Poor little thing! :( That's how a lot of noise phobias start. :( Hope fully he will be ok next time he hears loud noises. I probably would have had words with the kids, especially as it is illegal over here for kids to handle them, and for them to be let off during the day. Little monsters!  :censored:

Kids here keep doing the same things, it's really annoying and makes the dogs bark every time (any loud bangs generally). My parents normally play loud music when it's midnight at New Years, so the dogs won't hear the fireworks as much. They're not afraid of them but they do bark at them. Yossi, our first dog, was afraid of them. He always wanted to hide under the table or under my desk, at New Years.

That makes sense, I like names for dogs that mean something.. An Obi is a blue rainforest bird (He is a blue Cattle Dog), it was a waste of time putting the effort in to his name though as of course the question we are always asked is whether he is named after Obe Wan Kenobe! So much so that we often now call him Obi1! :D :D

I like that too. That's so nice to hear about Obi's name origin :D.

I'm very happy to report that Obi Is doing really well at present, he is back to decent length walks for his age and is certainly happier and more like his regular self, he chased off a naughty Labrador this morning so definitely a much happier boy! I have no idea how long it will last but I am just so happy we have found the right medication and have our boy back for now. :)