Chaliepud's Reading in 2015.

chaliepud

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has nothing to do with books, but last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again... that I was walking through a huge outside market somewhere with Peter, and we walked past a dog grooming table and I recognised Jojo standing on it having a wash, cut and blow-dry! :giggle2:  She was standing very still and absolutely covered with foam from the shampoo and the groomer was massaging it into her and then hosing it off with a hosepipe!  :giggle:

This has nothing to do with books, but last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again... that I was walking through a huge outside market somewhere with Peter, and we walked past a dog grooming table and I recognised Jojo standing on it having a wash, cut and blow-dry! :giggle2:  She was standing very still and absolutely covered with foam from the shampoo and the groomer was massaging it into her and then hosing it off with a hosepipe!  :giggle:

Ha brilliant!! Standing very still? Are you sure it was Jojo? ;):D Must have been all that fiddling you did with her picture for the photo comp thread, you ingrained her in your brain for bedtime! :)

BTW, love the Rebecca reference.. love that book!  :P

Peter says my brain must be a strange and peculiar place to be! :giggle2:  :D

The market bit comes from our recent holiday in Mallorca (Alcúdia, to be precise) and yes, the doggy bit from our conversations yesterday.  Jojo didn't look like Jojo (but was definitely her).  I didn't recognise you in my dream but you were wearing a white crocheted beret even though it was boiling hot - but I recognised her!  

We used to have a cocker spaniel (sadly things didn't work out with him), Charlie - he adored water, unless it was clean!  A muddy puddle? Yes.  A stagnant pond? Definitely.   A nice warm (but not too warm) bath. No way!!  :giggle:

Brilliant, a beret! :D wonder where you dreamed that up from! :D

Spaniels and other gundogs seem to adore filthy water, there is a Golden Retriever we see most days laying in mucky puddles! Luckily Jojo wants to swim so normally holds off till we get to the big ponds where she can throw herself in and try and get to the heron that sits in the middle of the lake! :)

Just a week till we go on our cruise, I need to decide what books to take! I suppose something not too heavy, in both a literal and literary sense, I'll probably only take two as we're only going for a week and there won't be huge amounts of lazing around time as we like to be active on holiday and try new things. I need to browse my TBR list (on my first page) and decide soon! :) There is a library onboard the ship so I'm sure I'll find something there if I manage to finish both. :)

The only thing I hate about holidays is leaving my doggies behind. :(

I hope you have a great time. :) Peter and I had never really fancied the idea of a cruise, but we are now thinking a Mediterranean city cruise might be nice.

((Hugs)) for missing your dog-persons though. :hug:

Thanks Janet :)

I would imagine a city cruise away from the school holidays and intense heat would be wonderful, and definitely something Steve and I would like to do when the kids are able to be left at home. You'd be better with one of the smaller ships that can go into the smaller ports like Venice though, we are on one of the huge ones because it has the best activities for the kids, so it only stops at the major ports.

Just a week till we go on our cruise, I need to decide what books to take! I suppose something not too heavy, in both a literal and literary sense, I'll probably only take two as we're only going for a week and there won't be huge amounts of lazing around time as we like to be active on holiday and try new things. I need to browse my TBR list (on my first page) and decide soon! :) There is a library onboard the ship so I'm sure I'll find something there if I manage to finish both. :)

How about The Stand by Stephen King? 

:giggle2: Kidding! It's massive. And too scary for a cruise. But this sounds like just the type of book to take with, because there's ice cream in the title and it's to do with Italy: The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop - Abby Clements :D 

The only thing I hate about holidays is leaving my doggies behind. :(

I wish I could come and doggy-sit! I know you're going to miss your posse very, very much, and they are going to miss you... But think of the wonderful welcome you'll get when you go back! :smile2: 

How about The Stand by Stephen King? 

:giggle2: Kidding! It's massive. And too scary for a cruise. But this sounds like just the type of book to take with, because there's ice cream in the title and it's to do with Italy: The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop - Abby Clements :D

I wish I could come and doggy-sit! I know you're going to miss your posse very, very much, and they are going to miss you... But think of the wonderful welcome you'll get when you go back! :smile2:

I did look at The Stand actually, as then I'd only have to take one book.. but may be a bit uncomfortable to hold and heavy to carry around.. The Ice Cream one is a good shout but Claire has said that it's the sequel to another book so I'm waiting to get that one. 

You'd be a great doggy sitter as you'd respect their likes and dislikes, not everyone does. Obi will be very happy as he is going to stay with my Mum and Dad, who he adores. Jojo is going to a doggy friend who has 2 Dalmatians and a little Jack Russell/ Chihuahua cross so she won't be bored! :)

The cruise sounds idyllic Hayley .. you'll have a fabulous time! You don't really want to read anything too taxing .. how about the Clare Balding book? Easy to dip into and lots of doggy talk (though .. that might make you sad :( ) Looking forward to seeing your pics .. will be envious I know :D xx 

I hope you have a great time on your cruise :)!! It makes sense you'll miss your dogs, though :(. I always miss our dogs too when I'm not at home for longer than a day (which doesn't happen often at all, but okay).

I did look at The Stand actually, as then I'd only have to take one book.. but may be a bit uncomfortable to hold and heavy to carry around.. The Ice Cream one is a good shout but Claire has said that it's the sequel to another book so I'm waiting to get that one.

So funny that you actually did consider The Stand... :D Too bad about The Ice Cream being a sequel, but at least you found out beforehand! Phew :)

You'd be a great doggy sitter as you'd respect their likes and dislikes, not everyone does. Obi will be very happy as he is going to stay with my Mum and Dad, who he adores. Jojo is going to a doggy friend who has 2 Dalmatians and a little Jack Russell/ Chihuahua cross so she won't be bored! :)

Sounds like both Obi and Jojo have the best possible care takers for the duration of the trip! :) I remember Obi adoring your Mom, because of that one video where he swims... He only obliged because your Mom threw the stick :D 

The cruise sounds idyllic Hayley .. you'll have a fabulous time! You don't really want to read anything too taxing .. how about the Clare Balding book? Easy to dip into and lots of doggy talk (though .. that might make you sad :( ) Looking forward to seeing your pics .. will be envious I know :D xx 

Hmm, that's a good suggestion Kay.. will hook it out, about time I read it! Thank you x I will post some pics on Facebook at some point, although they will probably look exactly the same as the ones three years ago, we'll all just look a bit older!  :giggle:  I'm looking forward to being able to join in the activities this year though as I had an injured arm last time so couldn't rock climb etc. :)

I hope you have a great time on your cruise :)!! It makes sense you'll miss your dogs, though :(. I always miss our dogs too when I'm not at home for longer than a day (which doesn't happen often at all, but okay).

Thanks Gaia, I will miss them dreadfully, but I won't miss being woken up far too early with Jojo licking my face!  :giggle2:  :giggle2:

So funny that you actually did consider The Stand... :D Too bad about The Ice Cream being a sequel, but at least you found out beforehand! Phew :)

Sounds like both Obi and Jojo have the best possible care takers for the duration of the trip! :) I remember Obi adoring your Mom, because of that one video where he swims... He only obliged because your Mom threw the stick :D

Oh he does, I'm sure if he could speak he would ask if he could go and live with Nanny!  :o  :P

Ok.. I bought a new bookcase and that is now as full of books as the other one! Time to stop buying books for a while as I am back to a 100+ on my TBR shelves, it used to be shelf! :D The only exception I will make is Vanessa Diffenbaugh's new book, We Never Asked for Wings which is due out in September.

Surely it can't be any harder than giving up bread and sugar?!  :giggle2:

Oh he does, I'm sure if he could speak he would ask if he could go and live with Nanny!  :o  :P

:lol: I'm sure he wouldn't!! Well he might for a while, but then he'd miss you so badly he'd re-think it and come back  :empathy:  :lol: 

Ok.. I bought a new bookcase and that is now as full of books as the other one! Time to stop buying books for a while as I am back to a 100+ on my TBR shelves, it used to be shelf! :D The only exception I will make is Vanessa Diffenbaugh's new book, We Never Asked for Wings which is due out in September.

Surely it can't be any harder than giving up bread and sugar?!  :giggle2:

Did you buy it from one of those stores where you first and foremost want to buy a bookcase, but then can choose to have it delivered full stacked? Did they have a wide range of fillers? :D 

We want pictures!! :) 

Wouldn't that be amazing?!:D

I got it from good ol' Marks and Spencer's, a British institution.. Plus my Mum gets a 20% discount. :)

Have taken a couple of pics, will put up later if I get a chance, we are off to a wedding this afternoon, the boys aren't looking forward to it at all! :)

Wouldn't that be amazing?! :D

There's an idea for a bold entrepreneur... :D One with a solid truck that can hold tons :D

I got it from good ol' Marks and Spencer's, a British institution.. Plus my Mum gets a 20% discount. :)

Funny thing that M&S's, because there's one in Helsinki, right next to the railway station! :D I only noticed it for the first time last fall, I think it's been there for 1,5-2 years. I've yet to go in and take a look! Oh hey ho, I'm actually going to the city today to see a friend, I think I'm going to ask if she'd like to go in with me and see what it's all about!! :)

Moms are the best, discounts and all :giggle2::D

Have taken a couple of pics, will put up later if I get a chance, we are off to a wedding this afternoon, the boys aren't looking forward to it at all! :)

:D Boys hardly ever do. Unless they swing another way... I hope they don't get too bored! I hope you have a really lovely time! :smile2:

There's an idea for a bold entrepreneur... :D One with a solid truck that can hold tons :D

Funny thing that M&S's, because there's one in Helsinki, right next to the railway station! :D I only noticed it for the first time last fall, I think it's been there for 1,5-2 years. I've yet to go in and take a look! Oh hey ho, I'm actually going to the city today to see a friend, I think I'm going to ask if she'd like to go in with me and see what it's all about!! :)

Moms are the best, discounts and all :giggle2::D

:D Boys hardly ever do. Unless they swing another way... I hope they don't get too bored! I hope you have a really lovely time! :smile2:

The guy with the truck would need to be big and strong too .. sounds like perfect boyfriend material to me! ;)  :giggle2:

I wonder what your M&S will be like, you must report and let us know, it sounds like one of the mini food ones? They must sell Percy Pigs, jelly sweets shaped into pig heads, Maddie adores them and they have quite a following over here. Their fresh produce is lovely and in summer they sometimes sell the hugest strawberries, so sweet and juicy!  :P

I suppose I'll find out today about my boys.. if I can't drag them off the dance floor or their phones, I suspect it'll be the latter! :D

This is my old bookcase, that I dismantled and rebuilt in the dining room.. excuse Obi photo bombing! :D This bookcase has my favourite read books and some of mine and the kids non-fiction. :)

post-9751-0-39947500-1438161171_thumb.jpg

This is my new bookcase, I love it, the wood is so solid and the colour is deep and warm. The middle three shelves are my TBR's, the top shelf is Steves and the bottom is mainly made up of my dog books. :)

post-9751-0-34888800-1438161191_thumb.jpg

These are the books that are on my holiday short list..I need to whittle it down to two, plus one to start now. :)

post-9751-0-30914900-1438161207_thumb.jpg