Frankie reads 2015

frankie

And what do you know, the last book was by Pertti Koskinen, so that makes 3/7 :D Wohoo! 100% coincidental. 

1. Read a book with blue on the cover - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn  
2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name - ? Vinttikamaripoika by Pertti Koskinen
3. Read someone else's favourite book -  Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - Group Read 
4. Read the last book you acquired - What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge
5. Finish a book without letting go of it - The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson
6. Read a book you really want to read - The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan ?
7. Read 7 books -

3/7 challenges completed - 11.9.2015

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:roll::lol:

Poor Kylie hehehe!

I didn't say anything so as not to embarrass her. Not to make fun of her! Should anyone have gotten the wrong impression... :D

Shame you didn't enjoy that one as much. I still haven't tried any of his yet, but I'll avoid that one I think!

Yep, definitely to be avoided unless one's a huge bridge fan or wants to learn the game.

I like that phrase "Nordic crime thrillers," Frankie!  I've often wanted to learn a bit of Norwegian, just so I could do a more expanded search on my family history.  If I knew Finnish though I'd definitely read some of the books on that list!

Scandinavian crime thrillers just doesn't work because it rules out Iceland and Finland and we can't accept that, can we :D

Are you going to frame your diploma??  You could hang it when you eventually get your own place.  You could even put a spotlight on it!  Yeah! :P:lol:

I love the spotlight idea :D I don't know about the framing. You see, it's not a diploma that's just one sheet of paper, having all the info on that one a4. It's got a cover page with just the title 'degree diploma' and then all the needed information is on page three :rolleyes: I want all the juicy stuff on the cover, man!! Put the rest at the back :D

I'm pretty sure we call courgettes zucchini here, or zucchini squash.  I just shredded some up tonight so I could make blueberry and raspberry zucchini bread this weekend, in fact!  Yum.

Ah!! Because zucchini sounds a lot more familiar. It's again American English vs British English, and that's what cramped my style!

#59. The Lie by C. L. Taylor 

Blurb: Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She's happier than she's ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist.

Five years earlier Jane and her then best friends went on holiday but what should have been the trip of a lifetime rapidly descended into a nightmare that claimed the lives of two of the women. 

Jane has tried to put the past behind her but someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won't stop until they've destroyed Jane and everything she loves... 

Thoughts: Another random pick that I found on the new acquired books list at the library. Unfortunately my reading suffered due to stuff that happened in real life (nothing bad, no worries), and I couldn't concentrate throughout the whole novel :( One thing I can say for sure, though, is that I didn't really feel connected to any of the characters. Sometimes that doesn't matter, but with this book it was a flaw. 

A decent enough thriller that did remind me of The Beach, as was 'promised' at the back of the book, at least that's what Louise Douglas was sure enough to vouch for. Not sure if I would recommend it to people who loved TB, but I wouldn't unrecommend it, either :) 

I might give Taylor's other novel, The Accident, a try at some point, if I like the sound of the blurb. 

3/5

Amazon keep telling me about this - and offering it dead cheap (under a pound normally). Might be worth picking up if they ask me again - but don't think I'll go out my way to get it. 

Hope everything is okay anyway, Frankie. :friends0:

Amazon keep telling me about this - and offering it dead cheap (under a pound normally). Might be worth picking up if they ask me again - but don't think I'll go out my way to get it. 

Hope everything is okay anyway, Frankie. :friends0:

I won't say this or that about it, I'm afraid to recommend it but I also don't want to specifically not recommend it :D 

Everything's okay'ish, thanks. Just having to wait till Sunday to hopefully hear some excellent news - or some horrid news. I have no patience :lol: The stressing's making me really really tired. :unsure: 

Thanks Athena! Feeling loads better, because I already got the news I was supposed to be getting next Sunday, and they were good news! :D But they may be such great news that I might not be able to read because I'm too happy and excited :D

That is much better than that it would be so sad news you wouldn't be able to read because of tears in your eyes, I'm very happy for you :D!!

Yep, better to not be able to read because of being so happy than because of being too sad :D 

I probably shouldn't say anything, because I'm afraid I'll jinx it... But the news I was waiting for was about an apartment I went to check out last Sunday. The owner PMd me yesterday that he'll rent it out to me! :wub: I'll be able to move and live all on my own!!! :exc: After a year of living with many different people, and being in a very crowded apartment, I couldn't wish for anything else. No more horrible flatmates! I'll be able to come and go and do what I like! :) 

It's a furnished apartment, and I was worried there wouldn't be enough room for my books, but there's a big ass bookcase and it's going to be all empty and I'm positive my books will fit! :smile2: 

This also means that I'll be living in Helsinki ... Not too thrilled about it, but at least it's a good neighborhood, and one I'm somewhat familiar with. Close to the center but not too close. And I'm going to be living so much closer to my friends in Helsinki! Two of them live 1-1,5 kilometers away from my flat :exc: 

I'll now have to see which library in Helsinki will be the closest one.... :D  I don't think they have a library in that particular part of the city I'll be living in, but I know one close to where my friend lives, so there's at least one that's 1 kilometer away from my apartment... This apartment is really close to where my ex used to live, and so I've walked by the street on my way to his place many, many times :D He still lived there when I joined this forum back in 2008... I think! It's sort of like going back in time, but totally moving onward with my life! :D 

Oh, the sad thing is, that in Helsinki the reserving of library material costs 1€ per book/DVD/CD, so no more reserving books for old frankie :(  :D But maybe that's a good thing, because I've only read fewer than 5 books off my TBR list this year... :blush: I'll get cracking with that pile after I've moved to Helsinki. 

I'm just so super jazzed!!!!!!! :D:wub: 

Yes, the peace and quiet! And no random visits from landlord's brother and the kids! Don't get me wrong, all the kids are nice and fun, but ... I didn't sign up for it when I moved here, and now I'm starting to find it somewhat stressful when people are always coming and going and I just don't know when I will have some peace and quiet all to myself. Maybe never :D Except now, of course, with the moving looming in the near future... :exc: Best news this year, after graduation! 

Edited by frankie

Oh dear! I do have a date on Sunday.... But that can't be it :lol: Not with my luck! 

Maybe I should start shopping for a hat and checking out flights to Finland? :D  Seriously though, good luck, enjoy! Make sure you tell him that you will have an apartment all to yourself...for entertaining... ;)