Frankie reads 2015

frankie

Ah, I didn't know that you can combine the challenges. It had actually crossed my mind that I might probably do something like that, but I didn't realize it was noted in the rules. And of course no one has to do all of the challenges, as there is no challenge police policing around, checking that everyone will abide by the rules. At least I hope there aren't! :o   :hide:   Or maybe there are. Like in the library police in a Stephen King novel.  :hide:   :giggle2:

I'm not sure if the video mentioned it, because this is I think the third? year in a row that they do this and it was mentioned in the earlier years' videos. I hope there is no such police, either :hide:!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure if the video mentioned it, because this is I think the third? year in a row that they do this and it was mentioned in the earlier years' videos. I hope there is no such police, either :hide:!

To be honest, I couldn't watch through the whole video because the girl was a bit too ... energetic for me.... :blush: I got exhausted just watching her :blush:

Edited by frankie

To be honest, I couldn't watch through the whole video because the girl was a bit too ... energetic for me.... :blush: I got exhausted just watching her :blush:

That's okay, I understand that :). I do think she was quite energetic in that video specifically, I don't know if she is like that in real life too or not. It would tire me out if she was.

One can't blame her, though, because it's books and she's super jazzed :D Some people have more energy to express that super jazziness :D

Edit: She's also promoting the event, I believe, so there's another reason for her to keep it up-beat and enthusiastic :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

I joined a dating website some time ago, and I was just now browsing through some of the profiles on there, when I came across this one guy who said the following thing in the section where they ask you about books: 

"• I have never been a book human. Im more self thinking guy, learning from mindfulness. I courage you to do same because books have ideology that may not represent you and you could endup finally buy that ideology in you."

:o What a dimwit! Self-thinking guy. As if someone who reads books doesn't think for themselves. As if we just absorb whatever's written in the latest book we're reading and forget all else. What a complete tool!  :D As if we couldn't appreciate a well written book even though we don't share its possible beliefs and agendas. Wow :D 

I joined a dating website some time ago, and I was just now browsing through some of the profiles on there, when I came across this one guy who said the following thing in the section where they ask you about books: 

"• I have never been a book human. Im more self thinking guy, learning from mindfulness. I courage you to do same because books have ideology that may not represent you and you could endup finally buy that ideology in you."

:o What a dimwit! Self-thinking guy. As if someone who reads books doesn't think for themselves. As if we just absorb whatever's written in the latest book we're reading and forget all else. What a complete tool!  :D As if we couldn't appreciate a well written book even though we don't share its possible beliefs and agendas. Wow :D

Dear self-thinking guy,

You are an absolute twerp. I courage you to go out and actually read a book or two yourself before judging all book readers to be mindless.

Yours sincerely,

Book Human

:D

I mean c'mon, if you only learn things through mindfulness, you are basically in your own head, in your own thoughts. How can you learn anything about the rest of the world if you only focus on your own mind. Through books you will get to know so many different people, different countries and cultures, religions, ideas, fates... You are broadening your horizons! 

I mean, I don't know much about mindfulness, so I might have that thing completely wrong. But trust me, reading books can't be harmful for you! Good god. I'm just speechless. Words fail me :D 

What a numpty! I'm guessing you won't be dating him? :lol:

Hell no :D Just goes to show, you can't judge a book a person by his cover: he's cute but... a judgey judgerson. He can't be a seriously mindful person for thinking books are out to get us all! 

Edit: Here's another person whom I won't be dating: "Look you are whitie and I am brownie, let make a baby together"  

:thud: 

And this one! "You look so beautiful that I had to forget my pick up line, how are you today?"

:lol: 

Edited by frankie

Edit: Here's another person whom I won't be dating: "Look you are whitie and I am brownie, let make a baby together"  

Someone genuinely said this?!? :no: That's crazy!

Good luck sifting through all the weirdos, whitie . . . :lol:

Edited by Signor Finzione

Someone genuinely said this?!? :no: That's crazy!

Yep! What's adding to the amusement is that he lives in a whole other continent... I wonder how he thinks he's going to impregnate a girl who's thousands of miles away. Great swimmers, I suppose...

Good luck sifting through all the weirdos, whitie . . . :lol:

Thanks :D I need all the luck I can get... It ain't easy out there! :no:

Edited by frankie

Still thinking about the booktubeathon challenge (without actually having done anything to actually, actually, start doing it :blush:), and am wondering about the book choices... 

1. Read a book with blue on the cover - I immediately thought of Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, but I'm not sure if there's blue on the cover, just on the side... Should check out the library copy - Update: I'm also thinking about Poppy Shakespeare because I've got it borrowed from the library... If it's blue. It's kind of a blueberry in yoghurt -blue :D 

2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name - Difficult  :D I could only think of Stephen King without resorting to my TBR list. I don't want to do any re-reads so these will be my choices: 

- Kazantzakis, Niko: Zorba the Greek 

- Kekki, Lasse & Kaisa Ilmonen: Pervot pidot – Homo-, lesbo- ja queer-näkökulmia kirjallisuudentutkimukseen 
- Kerouac, Jack: Maggie Cassidy
- Kilpi, Volter: Alastalon salissa
- King, Stephen: The Dark Half
- King, Stephen: Salem's Lot 
- Kirkland, Gelsey: Dancing on my Grave 

- Koren, Yehuda and Negev, Eilat: A Lover of Unreason: The Life and Tragic Death of Assia Wevill, Ted Hughes' Doomed Love
- Kosonen, Päivi: Naissubjekti & postmoderni 

Update: This will probably prove to be the most difficult thing for me.... Most of them are non-fiction, and some are long novels... The King books might be the easiest. 

3. Read someone else's favourite book - Whose and what book??! Phantom Tollbooth??   :hide:  (But is it Kylie's absolute favorite, though?) Update: This is still a very valid choice! Have not come up with anything else. 

4. Read the last book you acquired - The last book I acquired was Susan Coolidge's What Katy Did, I found a copy at the library's book swap shelf. A suitably short and easy read I should say!  :D Update: still happy with this :D 

5. Finish a book without letting go of it - This would have to be a short, light one. Update: Might have to try and use this category for The Phantom Tollbooth, too! 

6. Read a book you really want to read - Too many to choose from!   - Perhaps The Opposite of Fate which I started back in 2012, making it to almost the very end but not quite finishing. I was just re-reading the Amy Tan thread and it reminded me of how much I enjoyed the book  :wub: 

Update: This is also difficult because I'm getting really whimsical! :blush: I have a lot of books I really want to get to! (And I'm in the mood for fiction at the moment.) I was going to list the books I most want to get to now, but it started to seem pretty useless because it was going to be a long list :D I guess it's good that I still want to read my TBR books!! :D 

One can't blame her, though, because it's books and she's super jazzed :D Some people have more energy to express that super jazziness :D

Edit: She's also promoting the event, I believe, so there's another reason for her to keep it up-beat and enthusiastic :smile2:

Yes, she is :). I wouldn't have that amount of energy, for sure, but it's nice she's excited about books.

I have never been a book human. Im more self thinking guy, learning from mindfulness. I courage you to do same because books have ideology that may not represent you and you could endup finally buy that ideology in you."

What!! That is just.... I have no words. Some people are idiots I guess :P.

And this one! "You look so beautiful that I had to forget my pick up line, how are you today?"

:lol: [/size]

:lol: at least those lines make you laugh.. but yeah..

Good luck with your reading plan, as I said in the BookTube-A-Thon thread, it looks good :)!

Yes, she is :). I wouldn't have that amount of energy, for sure, but it's nice she's excited about books.

Me either! I'm sort of jealous of her energy... I wish I had more :D 

What!! That is just.... I have no words. Some people are idiots I guess :P.

Yep! :D I've also gotten requests to have carnal relations with people, some have mentioned that it would be in exchange for money... I kid you not! (They've not added their photo on their profile, can you imagine that! :o:D:rolleyes: )

The weirdest contact was, however, a guy who asked me if I'd like to be in complete charge of his finances. He didn't mean he'd give me his money and I could spend it, he meant that he'd give me his real bank details. Meaning he'd like to give the complete power over his finances to another person and rely on them. That was the weirdest thing!! Although I've heard of that kind of thing before: a friend of mine received the same kind of PM when she was looking for her other half on a dating website. But I was still flabbergasted... 

:lol: at least those lines make you laugh.. but yeah..

The funny thing is, the guy who said the thing about the pick up line... I was having a moment and I decided I'd respond, for once. Usually I ignore these sort of PMs, but to him I replied, and I wrote 'That's really tacky'. He responded by saying 'Really? How are you doing today?' 

:thud::D

Good luck with your reading plan, as I said in the BookTube-A-Thon thread, it looks good :)!

Thanks! I don't need to wish you good luck with yours, I know you're just whizzing through it :D  :readingtwo:

Edited by frankie

Yep! :D I've also gotten requests to have carnal relations with people, some have mentioned that it would be in exchange for money... I kid you not! (They've not added their photo on their profile, can you imagine that! :o:D:rolleyes: )

And there was me wondering how I could earn a bit of extra holiday money :D 

I wonder if anyone would pay to be read to? :D 

The weirdest contact was, however, a guy who asked me if I'd like to be in complete charge of his finances. He didn't mean he'd give me his money and I could spend it, he meant that he'd give me his real bank details. Meaning he'd like to give the complete power over his finances to another person and rely on them. That was the weirdest thing!! Although I've heard of that kind of thing before: a friend of mine received the same kind of PM when she was looking for her other half on a dating website. But I was still flabbergasted...

That is seriously weird :unsure: 

The funny thing is, the guy who said the thing about the pick up line... I was having a moment and I decided I'd respond, for once. Usually I ignore these sort of PMs, but to him I replied, and I wrote 'That's really tacky'. He responded by saying 'Really? How are you doing today?' 

:thud::D

:D Thick skinned but still optimistic :D 

And there was me wondering how I could earn a bit of extra holiday money :D 

I wonder if anyone would pay to be read to? :D 

I'm sure some would, but I don't think you will find them on the dating website... :D They might get the wrong idea! 

That is seriously weird :unsure: 

Yep! Certainly not the creepiest or nastiest thing I've received, but weirdest for sure! 

:D Thick skinned but still optimistic :D 

:D I guess I should applaud his outlook on life :D 

Getting a bit tired of the whole thing, I must say. 

Onto other things! Booktubeathon things, that is. 

1. Read a book with blue on the cover - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn  Wohoo! :exc: 

2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name - ? I'm very unlikely to do this challenge

3. Read someone else's favourite book -  Phantom Tollbooth?

4. Read the last book you acquired - What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge

5. Finish a book without letting go of it - Don't You Know Who I Am? History of Arrogance by Ari Turunen

6. Read a book you really want to read - The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan

7. Read 7 books - No

1/6... Three days to go, and I'm going to be busy tomorrow morning and today morning, for that matter... 

I was actually thinking that while other's are doing this booktubeathon for the week, why not do the challenge as long as it takes, to complete it. It might be refreshing to have a challenge to finish :smile2: Not promising anything but I'm considering it. 

My friend's currently putting her kids to bed. My Godson who's 7 years and his little sister who's 6. I'm in my room, on the computer, and listening to the sounds. My Godson just said to his Mom, "Every evening before I fall asleep I have to read something, at least a little bit." :wub: I'm so proud! What a fine boy he is!! He doesn't know it but I bought a copy of Astrid Lindgren's Brothers Lionheart for him years and years ago, and I've been saving it for a time when he's old enough to read a longer novel. :) 

My emotional, proud moment was interrupted when my friend told Godson's little sister that no, she's not to go brush her teeth in the balcony! I had to stifle a giggle. 

Brilliant! It must be his bookish godmother's influence :lol: It sounds like it won't be long before he'll be getting that present you've been holding on to. ;)

It must be because his Mom (my friend from wayyyyy back) doesn't read books, and I don't think his Dad does either. Although... It cant' really be my influence because unfortunately I haven't seen that much of him for ages. So he must've picked it up himself.

On another note: it is 8.8.2015, so it's my 7th BCF Anniversary! :D  A massive long time stretch thingy!

Edited by frankie

That is very weird!

:giggle2:!

Thanks! I don't need to wish you good luck with yours, I know you're just whizzing through it :D  :readingtwo:

Thank you :D!

1/6... Three days to go, and I'm going to be busy tomorrow morning and today morning, for that matter... 

I was actually thinking that while other's are doing this booktubeathon for the week, why not do the challenge as long as it takes, to complete it. It might be refreshing to have a challenge to finish :smile2: Not promising anything but I'm considering it.

Sure, if you feel like it, why not :).

It must be because his Mom (my friend from wayyyyy back) doesn't read books, and I don't think his Dad does either. Although... It cant' really be my influence because unfortunately I haven't seen that much of him for ages. So he must've picked it up himself.

On another note: it is 8.8.2015, so it's my 7th BCF Anniversary! :D  A massive long time stretch thingy!

It's so nice your godson is getting more into reading! And how sweet that you're saving up the copy of Brothers Lionheart for him.

Congratulations :D!!

It's so nice your godson is getting more into reading! And how sweet that you're saving up the copy of Brothers Lionheart for him.

I was thinking about getting him a notebook where he could record all the books he has read / will read in the future. That is, if he'd like to do something like that. It's what his Mom and I did in school when we were a few years older than he was :smile2: 

I'm sure you probably know, but just in case, thought I'd mention that I've spotted a few tweets about the filming of a new series of Peep Show!   :D   

https://twitter.com/sambaintv/status/631004735991119872

I still haven't watched any myself, but I will try it eventually … promise! :lol:

What, they are making a new season??? Awesome! :exc: And no, I didn't know!!! :D So thanks for that, this cheered me up loads!! :smile2: (Off to read the content in the link....)

Continuing with the Booktubeathon even though it has ended officially... 

1. Read a book with blue on the cover - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn  

2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name - ? I'm very unlikely to do this challenge

3. Read someone else's favourite book -  Phantom Tollbooth?

4. Read the last book you acquired - What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge

5. Finish a book without letting go of it - The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson - Latest update

6. Read a book you really want to read - The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan

7. Read 7 books - No. Maybe?

Aww no last name challenge? Have you read any Barbara Kingsolver? Animal Dreams and The Bean Trees are older YA, and The Poisonwood Bible is good too...but a bit longer.

Edit: Burial Rights by Hannah Kent has been one of my fave of the year.

Edited by Anna Begins