Frankie reads 2015

frankie

Aww no last name challenge? Have you read any Barbara Kingsolver? Animal Dreams and The Bean Trees are older YA, and The Poisonwood Bible is good too...but a bit longer.

Edit: Burial Rights by Hannah Kent has been one of my fave of the year.

Well K is a difficult letter... Unless I go with a Finnish author, of course, then it becomes easier. Initially I couldn't think of any authors besides King, and so I had to go and check my TBR list and found a few. And none of those books appealed to me in that moment. And as I only had a week to do the challenges... I thought I would have a better shot with the other challenges and sit this one out. But now that I'm continuing with the challenge semi seriously, I might try to find something that fits. I might read the Zorbas book :) Or go and see what I have on my wishlist. I'd rather keep to books that I already own or that are on my wishlist, but thanks for giving it some thought and trying to help a girl out! :D  :flowers2:    (Actually I think Burial Rights might be on my wishlist... But I don't remember who it was by.)

Edit: Yep, it is by Hannah Kent. Did you just randomly think of her or did you go and see my wishlist? :D 

Edited by frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you enjoy The Suicide Club? Sorry if you've written your thoughts elsewhere and I missed it, but I just saw a mention of you reading it in the Booktubeathon thread. I love Robert Louis Stevenson and was intrigued by the title so looked it up. It sounds interesting. :)

Did you enjoy The Suicide Club? Sorry if you've written your thoughts elsewhere and I missed it, but I just saw a mention of you reading it in the Booktubeathon thread. I love Robert Louis Stevenson and was intrigued by the title so looked it up. It sounds interesting. :)

I haven't yet written anything about it on anywhere. I rated it 2/5. I really liked the idea, like you do, but the execution was a bit too confusing for me. But that's most likely due to it not being the kind of book that I should be reading now... I may not have had my smart brain with me when I was reading it :( It's a mojo/stress thing. I think if I'd read it at some other point I may have liked it better! I didn't dislike it, though.... I would recommend you give it a go! :) I was reading the intro and there was talk about how he was appreciated as an author in his own time (i.e. when he was alive), but during the period of modernism he was considered as an old-fashioned popular novelist. But then in the 1950's people started to appreciate his work again, and that's mostly thanks to Jorge Luis Borges and Italo Calvino who were great fans of his! ;):cool: 

Good news that you got rid of the flatmate. Definitely sounds like the flatmate from hell!

Edit: I was on a date today and somehow ended up talking about coloring books with the man. Adult coloring books. He took the 'adult' to mean something very different altogether! :lol:

LOL!

I joined a dating website some time ago, and I was just now browsing through some of the profiles on there, when I came across this one guy who said the following thing in the section where they ask you about books: 

"• I have never been a book human. Im more self thinking guy, learning from mindfulness. I courage you to do same because books have ideology that may not represent you and you could endup finally buy that ideology in you."

:o What a dimwit! Self-thinking guy. As if someone who reads books doesn't think for themselves. As if we just absorb whatever's written in the latest book we're reading and forget all else. What a complete tool!  :D As if we couldn't appreciate a well written book even though we don't share its possible beliefs and agendas. Wow :D

Wow. Just wow! So anyway are you going to date him :lol:

Actually I think that that will suffice as a review of the novel :D Thanks for asking, now I don't have to think about having to write it! :D

You're welcome!  :lol:

Even though it wasn't what you'd hoped, I still want to read it. Hopefully I'll fare better!

Good news that you got rid of the flatmate. Definitely sounds like the flatmate from hell!

Yep!! :D I've even had a few nightmares about her, even now that she's already gone  :hide: 

Wow. Just wow! So anyway are you going to date him :lol:

No, but only because he visited my profile after I visited him, and he didn't 'like' me or send me a message  :wibbly:  :wibbly: 

:lol: 

You're welcome!  :lol:

Even though it wasn't what you'd hoped, I still want to read it. Hopefully I'll fare better!

I'm sure you will! :yes: 

On another note... My Godson had his first day at school today! Very exciting. He's now on the second grade. He'd already gotten some homework! A text to read... Too bad he's always so busy running around with his cousins (who live very close by) and his sister, otherwise I'd ask him more about his day and I'd also like to see his homework :D His little sister started pre-school today, very exciting! :) And Godson's been given a key of his own, to their home... They were here earlier today, and then went to his uncle's house, and then his Mom and Dad came here and told me he'd lost his key and started looking around for it. When I saw them later on, turned out he hadn't lost it, it had been at his uncle's house, on a chair, and his Mom had accidentally nudged it on the floor when she sat on the chair :lol: Well done, Godson! :smile2: 

Little sister's tooth is loose but she's too scared to yank it off and she's also scared when her Mom tried to wiggle it off... We are going through some very exciting times in this household :lol: 

Oh man, I could just listen to my Godson talk all day long ... :D He has no accent or dialect, he speaks Finnish very formally and uses big words when he knows them, and this is not very usual for kids... He sounds like a small, young grown-up :D I could just listen to him talk all day long! 

He came to my room just now and asked what I was doing, and I showed him this game I was playing online. It's one where you are to make words from adjacent letters. But then I told him that unfortunately the game is in English. Then I showed him how you make a word, and I found 'air' and told him what it is in Finnish, and he said he knows that. Clever boy!! I asked him what other words he knows, and he said he knows 'black' and 'red'. And when I was out of time and it said 'Game Over', my Godson told me what that means. 

He will be starting English next year :wub: Oh how I wish he started it this year so we could talk about it :wub: I know his parents are more than capable to oversee him doing English homework as they know their English, but as an Anglophile I'd love to be able to watch him do his English homework! I'll have to remember to do that next year when I visit. 

For self, for Booktubeathon:

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King

Hietakehto by Sirpa Kähkönen (MN. Kuopio-sarja) -L-SU-S

Ihmepoika by Elias Koskimies (Sakke)
Neljäntienristeys by Tommi Kinnunen (Sakke)
Tummempaa tuolla puolen by Kaj Korkea-aho -L-SU-S
A Big Little Life by Dean Koontz (about Trixie <3)

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
A Shepherd's Watch by David Kennard (chesilbeach)
A Beginner's Guide to Acting English by Shappi Khorsandi (Janet)
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent  -L-E-

Ghosting by Jonathan Kemp (Jänet) -L-E- 

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica (nursenblack) -L-SU- 

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (Janet)  -L-E-

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (chesilbeach, poppyshake) -L-E
I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young-Ha Kim Brian

Kerrigan in Copenhagen by Thomas E. Kennedy -L-E-
The Mangle Street Murders by M. R. C. Kasasian (poppyshake) -L-E-
Man Walks Into a Room by Nicole Krauss (chesilbeach)  -L-E-

A Matter of Life and Death by Andrey Kurkov -L-E-

The Milkman in the Night by Andrey Kurkov -L-E-S-

Mind of Winter by Laura Kasischke -L-E- 
The Minds of Billy Milligan by Daniel Keyes

Naapuri by Herman Koch
The Tiny Wife by Andrew Kaufman poppyshake -L-E-
The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac (Kylie, Rory Gilmore -thread)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera Brian -L-E-
An Unexpected Guest by Anne Korkeakivi (pontalba) -L-E-

Edited by frankie

I was thinking about getting him a notebook where he could record all the books he has read / will read in the future. That is, if he'd like to do something like that. It's what his Mom and I did in school when we were a few years older than he was :smile2:

That would be so nice :)!

Your godson sounds like a clever boy, I'm glad he's doing well in school :). I love that you can talk with him about bits of English.

He will be starting English next year :wub: Oh how I wish he started it this year so we could talk about it :wub: I know his parents are more than capable to oversee him doing English homework as they know their English, but as an Anglophile I'd love to be able to watch him do his English homework! I'll have to remember to do that next year when I visit. 

You sound like a very fun godmother :)  How old is he?

For self, for Booktubeathon:

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent  -L-E-

I gotta vote again for this one :) 

Inspired by a true story: the final days of a young woman accused of murder in Iceland in 1829.  Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution.

That would be so nice :)!

I think I will ask his Mom if she thinks he might like it, just to be on the safe side :)

Your godson sounds like a clever boy, I'm glad he's doing well in school :). I love that you can talk with him about bits of English.

It's a real pleasure to be able to see him on a daily basis. I've missed so much of his childhood for having lived so many hundred kilometers away from him! :(

Yesterday he came home straight from school and did his homework (math). And then he was looking for the controls for the Playstation :D I told him his Dad probably has them and he'll have to go and ask him. It was the same thing the day before, and he wasn't given the controls that day because his Dad had caught him jumping up and down at the balcony, clinging on to the railing. Godson was showing me yesterday where he had been jumping and that it wasn't dangerous and I told him that it might be and that he has to go by what his Mom and Dad tell him. I'm a fun godmother but damn it, I'm going to be a responsible one, too! I want this darling kid to live a long life and prosper :D

You sound like a very fun godmother :)  How old is he?

He is now 7 years old, he'll turn 8 in December. He's a Sagittarius as am I and his Dad and Mom :D Sagittariuses rule! (His Mom and I first met at the maternity ward, she was born one day after me :D)

I gotta vote again for this one :)

Inspired by a true story: the final days of a young woman accused of murder in Iceland in 1829.  Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution.

:D I'm not feeling very Icelandic at the moment, though. Not while it's the summer and it's actually getting nice and warm over here!

Edit: I don't know why but for some reason I thought the novel takes place in the winter. I have no idea if this is true! :D 

Edited by frankie

#46. Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood by William J. Mann 

From Amazon

The Day of the Locust meets The Devil in the White City and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in this juicy, untold Hollywood story: an addictive true tale of ambition, scandal, intrigue, murder, and the creation of the modern film industry.

By 1920, the movies had suddenly become America’s new favorite pastime, and one of the nation’s largest industries. Never before had a medium possessed such power to influence. Yet Hollywood’s glittering ascendency was threatened by a string of headline-grabbing tragedies—including the murder of William Desmond Taylor, the popular president of the Motion Picture Directors Association, a legendary crime that has remained unsolved until now.

In a fiendishly involving narrative, bestselling Hollywood chronicler William J. Mann draws on a rich host of sources, including recently released FBI files, to unpack the story of the enigmatic Taylor and the diverse cast that surrounded him—including three beautiful, ambitious actresses; a grasping stage mother; a devoted valet; and a gang of two-bit thugs, any of whom might have fired the fatal bullet. And overseeing this entire landscape of intrigue was Adolph Zukor, the brilliant and ruthless founder of Paramount, locked in a struggle for control of the industry and desperate to conceal the truth about the crime. Along the way, Mann brings to life Los Angeles in the Roaring Twenties: a sparkling yet schizophrenic town filled with party girls, drug dealers, religious zealots, newly-minted legends and starlets already past their prime—a dangerous place where the powerful could still run afoul of the desperate.

A true story recreated with the suspense of a novel, Tinseltown is the work of a storyteller at the peak of his powers—and the solution to a crime that has stumped detectives and historians for nearly a century.

Thoughts: Years ago I read a review on here on some other non-fiction book on the early days of Hollywood and the film industry. I can't remember for sure who wrote the review but I'm thinking Ruth... And I can't remember the title of the book. Last year when I was browsing the new acquired books for the library on their website, I came across this title and remembered the review, and I thought this might've been the very same book... Turns out it wasn't, but as I'm a true crime buff and felt I was beginning to get really interested in the 1920's-1930's Hollywood life, I reserved a copy. 

I don't think I've ever heard of William Desmond Taylor. Or any of the actors, directors etc. that played a part in this book. That didn't bother me much. I liked learning about the industry and how it evolved, and what it was like back in the day. It's made me want to read more on the subject. 

As a true crime book, this wasn't an awfully good one. For the most part the book talked about Adolph Zukor and his business, which I found very interesting but a bit besides the point when he wasn't even a suspect in the murder. :rolleyes: I would sometimes actually forget that William Desmond Taylor was the victim and this book was about him... :D

I haven't read The Devil in the White City, but I know Kylie has and she very much loved the book. I know Kylie's tastes and so I would venture to guess that this book isn't on the same level...  But if you're into movies and want to read about them, I'd recommend the book :)

3/5

Edited by frankie

#47. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 

Selected bits from Amazon: Reporter Camille Preaker faces a troubling assignment: she must return to her tiny hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. For years, Camille has hardly spoken to her mother or to the half-sister she barely knows. Now, installed in her old bedroom in her family's Victorian mansion, Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims.

Thoughts: The above ^ doesn't say much, but I left a lot of details out, not wanting to spoil too much for anyone. 

What can I say sing... I like Gillian Flynn's books and I cannot lie...! :D She's good. I started with her latest novel, Gone Girl, last year, and loved it. Very shortly after that I read her second novel, Dark Places, and loved it even more than GG. And now I've finally read her first novel, Sharp Objects, which I also loved. No surprises there :D 

I was a bit hesitant about reading SO because I'd read a few reviews on here, I believe, and had gotten the impression that it's not as good as Flynn's latest two. I didn't want to go back to the debut and be disappointed in it. I'm really glad I did, though, because I thought this one was better than Gone Girl. I've much preferred the female narratives of these two, compared to the male narrative on GG. I don't mean to say I can relate to them or even sympathize with them, right from the start, because they are flawed, dark characters, and I guess you could say I'm a bit scared of them to start with :D But they are realistic. People have flaws. It's the flaws that make us unique and interesting. And you want to know what happened to them in the first place, to get them to the point where they are now... 

I want more! Waiting eagerly for Flynn's next novel :yes: 

5/5

I think I will ask his Mom if she thinks he might like it, just to be on the safe side :)

That's a good idea :).

It's a real pleasure to be able to see him on a daily basis. I've missed so much of his childhood for having lived so many hundred kilometers away from him! :(

Yesterday he came home straight from school and did his homework (math). And then he was looking for the controls for the Playstation :D I told him his Dad probably has them and he'll have to go and ask him. It was the same thing the day before, and he wasn't given the controls that day because his Dad had caught him jumping up and down at the balcony, clinging on to the railing. Godson was showing me yesterday where he had been jumping and that it wasn't dangerous and I told him that it might be and that he has to go by what his Mom and Dad tell him. I'm a fun godmother but damn it, I'm going to be a responsible one, too! I want this darling kid to live a long life and prosper :D

Awww, that's such a shame :(.

Awww, he sounds cute! It's good how responsible you're being :). It's so good of him to do his homework straight away, I've known a lot of children (and old classmates of mine) who wouldn't do that (or who wouldn't do it at all). In the Netherlands you don't get much homework at primary school, except a bit in the last year (to prepare you for secondary school where there's a lot of homework). It shows real strength of character that your 7-year-old godson does his homework straight away :)!

Great reviews, btw :)!

#48. The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson

From Amazon: A generous and remarkable young prince, together with his loyal and brave servant, find more adventure than they bargained for in The Suicide Club, Robert Louis Stevenson's engrossing trilogy of short stories about a bizarre club for people with a strong desire to end their lives.

In these interrelated tales, Prince Florizel of Bohemia and his aide, Colonel Geraldine, travel incognito through some of the most dangerous haunts of 19th-century London. [...]

Brimming with heart-stopping drama, this rare, lesser-known work by a master storyteller will appeal to a wide circle of readers, including fans of the great 19th-century English writer as well as lovers of a good mystery story.

Thoughts

I haven't yet written anything about it on anywhere. I rated it 2/5. I really liked the idea, like you do, but the execution was a bit too confusing for me. But that's most likely due to it not being the kind of book that I should be reading now... I may not have had my smart brain with me when I was reading it :( It's a mojo/stress thing. I think if I'd read it at some other point I may have liked it better! I didn't dislike it, though.... I would recommend you give it a go! :) I was reading the intro and there was talk about how he was appreciated as an author in his own time (i.e. when he was alive), but during the period of modernism he was considered as an old-fashioned popular novelist. But then in the 1950's people started to appreciate his work again, and that's mostly thanks to Jorge Luis Borges and Italo Calvino who were great fans of his! ;):cool:

2/5

Edited by frankie

I was checking my list of acquired books this year, and seems like I'm doing at least as well as last year. Last year I acquired 41 books, this year we are 8,5 months into the year and I've acquired 24 books. 

That was of course before I went to the library today and noticed a copy of Ernest Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa in the book swap bookcase... :D And then when I came back to note it down on my TBR and acquired books list, I noticed I hadn't written down What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge that I also got for free from the same bookcase. So that's 26 books so far this year. Of the 26, 12 were bought, and those have cost me 14,80e in total. 

Edited by frankie

That is really well done :)! Congratulations :D.

Thanks! :) A friend of mine recently told me there's this -80% sale at the big bookstore in Helsinki... The one I love, the big ass one. So tempting!!! :D I told him that I can't be buying any books at the moment but thanks for the thought...

I hope you enjoy your two new books, too :).

Thanks! :)

As some of you know, I've been culling my TBR books in order to give away the books I'm not all that tempted to read anymore, because of having to move to some place else soon (and not even owning a bookcase to call my own). I removed about 50 titles from my shelves, and those have been kept in this small bookcase sort of thing in the kitchen, where they are probably taking up space that my landlord/ess's family could use... 

There's a monthly flea market at the nearby park here, where you can just turn up and start selling your stuff, without having to obtain a permission or having to pay for it. I'd been planning on going there for a month now, to try and sell those culled books. I'd even asked a few friends of mine if they'd like to join me. One of them was interested, she's into making stuff herself and was planning on selling stuff she'd made herself, but in the end, she didn't join me. I didn't want to go on my own because it wouldn't be as much fun and well, as silly as it might sound, I was a bit anxious about having to go there myself and set up my books and then just having to sit there while people walked by and took a look at me and my stuff. 

However, I'd already told my landlordess-friend that I wanted to do it, and on Saturday morning she asked me about it and I thought, I can't back down now, I might as well go. It might be fun! Landlordess even said I could borrow a cardboard box and their hand truck (that they've been using for their move). Otherwise I would've had to haul my books in several plastic bags... Turns out it was really clever and handy! I packed the books in the box and set it on the hand truck and left :D I couldn't get out of the building without a stranger helping me by holding the door for me, though... :D

The park is only a block away. When I got there, the place was packed. I was pushing the hand truck and trying to find a spot. I had to walk around for a few minutes, but in the end I did manage to find a free spot that was in the shade. Perfect!  While I was pushing the hand truck, and thinking I might not find a spot and might have to go home, it struck me that I might seem a little funny, hauling my books around... Other people were pushing their prams with their kids, but I was pushing my hand truck with my books... :D 'What a lovely day, to go for a walk about with my books. They don't get out much.'

My first customer didn't buy a book, but one of the three CDs I'd chucked in at the last minute :D

My second customer didn't buy anything, but he was fun to talk to. He was a bibliophile through and through. He said I had a really eclectic selection. He was showing me this tourist guide book that he'd bought earlier, and then I noticed he was holding a portable cassette player, and I asked him if it was really what I thought it was. Wow! I haven't seen those babies in years! :D He'd just bought that one from someone at the flea market. He didn't know if it worked but it had been cheap and he'd decided to take his chances :D

My third customer was walking with her friend when she saw my books and then she told her friend in a loud voice that she'd caught sight of books, and she would be a while! :D We talked a little, and she said she'd read a lot of the books I had and that's why she thought that she'd probably find something to interest her. But she only found one book. But it was my first sold book... Hurrah! (When she was close by, looking at the books nearest to me, I saw she had earrings. And not just any kind of earrings. They were handcuffs! :D :D Never underestimate a reader.... :giggle2: )

The fourth customer bought three books, he spent quite a while checking out my selection. He was boring and had no sense of humor, but he added fat to my wallet. :shrug: Then one guy bought one book, and then I think there was my last customer. She didn't seem like a real bibliophile because she didn't go through everything, but she did ask me if I could recommend any thrillers. She liked Swedish thrillers but I didn't have any of them. I recommended A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver, which she happily took. Then I went for it and told her that an earlier customer had told me she'd read The Raw Shark Texts (that I had a copy of) and that it was a book like no other she'd read, and in a good way. I held out the copy to her and she said she'd read reviews of it... But she had a 2e coin on her and so she bought both. I felt like a real saleswoman at that point, getting a customer to buy two books instead of the one she'd planned on. 

It was fun, I sat there for longer than I thought I would (I got there at 11.30 or so and stayed till the end, 2 PM). All in all I sold 7 books and 1 CD. And I got to see a lot of dogs :D

While I was sitting there, I kept myself busy and amused by reading one of the books I'd brought with me to try and sell. It's a book on the history of literature. It's more like an overall review, giving the reader a short outline of things and then mentioning the most important names. When I was reading it, I thought, I can't sell this book! :blush::D Another thing that kept me in jolly good spirits was the music that the two young girls opposite me were playing on their boombox or something. Good stuff :D Although I have to say I almost lost it when they played 'I like big butts and I cannot lie' and I almost started singing, 'I like big books and I cannot lie'. :D

Edited by frankie

#49. The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell

Blurb: New York City, 1924: the height of Prohibition and the whole city swims in bathtub gin. 

Rose Baker is an orphaned young woman working for her bread as a typist in a police precinct on the lower East Side. Every day Rose transcribes the confessions of the gangsters and murderers that pass through the precinct. While she may disapprove of the details, she prides herself on typing up the goriest of crimes without batting an eyelid. 

But when the captivating Odalie begins work at the precinct Rose finds herself falling under the new typist's spell. As do her bosses, the buttoned up Lieutenant Detective and the fatherly Sergeant. As the two girls' friendship blossoms and they flit between the sparkling underworld of speakeasies by night, and their work at the precinct by day, it is not long before Rose's fascination for her new colleague turns to obsession. 

Thoughts: I picked this book up very randomly at a library, as I was drawn to the title (and the font which had been used for it). I liked the sound of the blurb and so I had to read the novel. 

This novel combines a few very dear elements: there's crime, and there's typing :D I love typing. I've also just recently read a book on Hollywood in the late 1920s, and so it felt suitable to continue on that vein and read this novel shortly afterwards. I'm also a sucker for psychological stuff and the complex relations between different people. 

I'd say the book's very readable, and it was also engaging. It started to lose a little wind by the end, though, and I was a bit disappointed by the ending, or the things that led to it. This is a debut novel and as such a very good one, but it didn't fully meet my expectations, and therefore I couldn't give it 5/5 that I had in mind for it in the early stages of the reading. 

4/5

Edited by frankie

I'm glad your book-selling adventure went allright :). It was nice to read it. I hope you can maybe donate the rest of your books you're getting rid of. Maybe one day in the future you will have more space for books, I hope it for you :).

My maturity exam has been approved and now it's only a matter of a few formalities (I'll have to look into it) before I have my BA degree!!!!!!! I have been waiting for this for I don't know how long....  :exc:  :exc:  :kiss:  :woohoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :boogie:

I'm actually going to graduate.... ! Holy sonovaship!! Best day EVER!!!