Frankie reads 2015

frankie

Thanks for the sympathy, it is very much appreciated! :smile2:

I don't have a place yet. The landlord + landlordess and their two kids will be moving in the apartment (they are taking ex flatmate's room and the living room) next week. It's going to be crowded... I wish I can find a flat which I can move into at the start of next month, so please everyone, keep your fingers crossed!!! :unsure:

Edit: For those who don't know/remember, landlordess is an old, old friend of mine and so I know her family well and they are all great and it's going to be fun seeing them more often, but of course it'll feel like I'm a houseguest and overstaying my welcome, until I move out... But we have to manage somehow :)  Fortunately the library's so close by, I can always go there if I feel like a fifth wheel. 

Edited by frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm so glad your ex-flatmate has moved out! She sounds like she's very difficult to live with. I'm also somewhat tidy and quiet, and how inconsiderate of her to treat you so unkindly! I'm glad she's gone now and you won't see her again! My symphaties :friends3:.

Thanks Athena! :smile2: I think a lot of us members on here would apparently make great flatmates, as we're tidy and don't like noise :D I should've put 'seeks an introvert' in the ad when I was looking for a flatmate :D

Edit: Landlord/ess haven't finished unpacking and the little sprucing up they're doing in ex flatmate's room, so they are coming tomorrow again. I was hoping they'd finished by today but what can you do :)  I can't wait to get the apartment to myself for a few days because it's been stressful. I know landlord/ess are stressed, too, and it's no fun task to unpack a whole family's belongings and I'm sure they'd love to be able to settle down for real and not have me here, so we all need to be very patient and work together. 

Edited by frankie

I forgot to say earlier that I've started culling books... :unsure: I took 9 books to the library's bookswap bookcase. Five of them were Merri Vik's Lotta books, which I've read, but I'm not overly particular about keeping them. They are Swedish girls' novels I really enjoyed reading as a kid. One book was a book on Margaret Drabble that my professor gave me when I was doing my essays on her. The professor's retired by now (:giggle:) and besides, it was one of those very cheap author intro booklets so I didn't feel too guilty for having realized I still had my copy and then giving it away. Two books were by Morris Gleitzman and they were about toads :D I wanted to read them but... Maybe I'll borrow them some day. And one novel was Laurie Lee's Cider with Rosie  :hide:  I've started reading it a few times and it didn't stick, and besides, it was a cheap, bruised copy bought from the library's removed books section, and I didn't much fancy the copy. 

I also went through my TBR list and came up with about 30 titles which I could give away without feeling too sad about it. I've listed them on a Finnish book forum to see if anyone there would like to buy them (for a very cheap price). 

And one novel was Laurie Lee's Cider with Rosie  :hide:  I've started reading it a few times and it didn't stick, and besides, it was a cheap, bruised copy bought from the library's removed books section, and I didn't much fancy the copy.

It's a bit of a relief to heear that. I read Cider with Rosie last year, and was completely underwhelmed by it. However, everybody else I know seems to rate it, and it's been a set text recently for GCSEs.

It's a bit of a relief to heear that. I read Cider with Rosie last year, and was completely underwhelmed by it. However, everybody else I know seems to rate it, and it's been a set text recently for GCSEs.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the book! But to each their own... I've certainly become wary of reading it but I do think I will read it at some point in my life, it being on a few challenge lists of mine. Who knows, maybe it turns out to be a real corker! I think we all have our specific books that we've not liked much at all while others rave about them :) 

I've just remembered. You guys know the adult coloring books, that people have talked about on here in a specific thread? I mentioned them to my friend who's had a bit of a stressful period in her life for the past few years and thought she might like the idea. She said she's heard about them from her Mom, and I told her more about them and how it's supposed to be de-stressing. I think it also came to mind because her daughter was coloring in her book earlier that day. I googled adult coloring books and read that it's the sort of repetitive thing that takes your mind off your worries and woes, and it's been compared to knitting and crocheting in that respect. My friend had actually googled adult coloring later that day herself and said that that's exactly what it is, and she's noticed it when she's knitting (she's a real mean knitter! :D She can read and watch TV while knitting and she'll make things very quickly). 

Later that day I went to the library and this is going to be yet another praise of the Finnish libraries, so my apologies: I noticed there was a table where there were two adult coloring books and color pens and a sign saying one's free and welcome to do a bit of coloring on the books. 

:thud: I think I might go and take advantage of it some day! 

Edited by frankie

I agree, de-cluttering is great, but I do not much like the idea of giving away books unless it's voluntary and not needed because of a move or something similar....

Have to, otherwise there'd be no room for us in our house!  Thank goodness for the Kindle!

Have to, otherwise there'd be no room for us in our house!  Thank goodness for the Kindle!

I think that you have a lot more books than I do, to begin with :D And I don't even own a Kindle... or any other eReader. 

Sorry to hear you had a bad time with your roomie and that you're going to have to move. Fingers crossed you find somewhere lovely in the perfect location with lots of lovely people and dogs close by, and most importantly a decent roommate! :)

I love to declutter, friends actually ask me around to help them with theirs.. I often think I should do it for a living! ;):D

Thanks chalie!   :console:  Fingers crossed that I find a decent place for myself, indeed! This time I want to live on my own, I don't want any roommates. I've had enough of them :D 

The landlord/ess have been here for the last three days, but I think they are pretty much done with what they planned to do this week, and they are going away tomorrow, for a week in landlordess's hometown. I'm really looking forward to being on my own for a while, but I have to say, it's been fun to socialize with them, at times. My friend is a good laugh, and so's her husband, and I do adore their two kids :smile2: 

If you have any free time and the money to travel, you are very welcome to come and help me with decluttering :D :D And bring Jojo and Obi with, would you please!! :smile2: 

First morning in the flat without flatmate and knowing that landlord/ess won't be coming over to do stuff. The flat was a real mess yesterday, and the livingroom was full of their stuff, and I'd really thought they'd leave their stuff in the living room till they are back from their trip to hometown, but they did put everything that wasn't unpacked in their one room and the common areas look really nice now! The living room's great, there are two new couches, the sort I would probably go for myself if I had the money to be buying couches. And there's a real table in the dining area! I'm currently sitting there and using the table to my advantage, not having to keep myself to my room for the next x days. It's so roomy and lovely! I'm so going to miss this apartment and the area...  :cry:   But I'm not as worried about having to share the apartment with landlord/ess and family as I was before, because I know we'll gel. And the kids will be back to school in no time and so it won't be as crowded during the days. 

It's just such a nice feeling not to stress about the move so much... I was really really anxious throughout this week but now I'm optimistic, and I've actually started to look forward to finding my own place :wub: It won't be as big and comfortable and great as this, and there will be no dishwasher and no sauna and probably not even a balcony, but it will be my own little nook in the world and there will be no flatmates to cramp my style :D And I will make the most of it no matter where I will move. I'll miss having the easy access to the library and the big shopping mall (and the two big super markets with their reasonable prices for groceries), but I'll adapt :yes: I feel like these next few days are my goodbyes... Even though I might most likely have to live here for another month. But this is my own time. 

I'm definitely planning to :D It feels like I can breathe :smile2: The sun is shining outside, it's nice to sit at the table and look out from the big windows. 

I think decluttering will also be easier because I can bring the stuff I need to go through into the living room and/or the dining area and go through it here, where there's more space. It would be more difficult in my small room where there's just not enough space. If I start taking out stuff from the closets and put them anywhere in my room, it feels really claustrophobic in an instant. 

Oooh and I can do a bit of dancing now in the living room, too! Boogie like there's no tomorrow, if I feel like it :smile2: 

Don't forget to run around nekkid!! What fun is having a place to yourself if you have to keep wearing clothes? :D

I'm glad the old flatmate is gone and you have some time to yourself. And I'm glad you're being optimistic about finding a new place for yourself. :) Have you started looking yet?

I've just remembered. You guys know the adult coloring books, that people have talked about on here in a specific thread? I mentioned them to my friend who's had a bit of a stressful period in her life for the past few years and thought she might like the idea. She said she's heard about them from her Mom, and I told her more about them and how it's supposed to be de-stressing. I think it also came to mind because her daughter was coloring in her book earlier that day. I googled adult coloring books and read that it's the sort of repetitive thing that takes your mind off your worries and woes, and it's been compared to knitting and crocheting in that respect. My friend had actually googled adult coloring later that day herself and said that that's exactly what it is, and she's noticed it when she's knitting (she's a real mean knitter! :D She can read and watch TV while knitting and she'll make things very quickly). 

Later that day I went to the library and this is going to be yet another praise of the Finnish libraries, so my apologies: I noticed there was a table where there were two adult coloring books and color pens and a sign saying one's free and welcome to do a bit of coloring on the books. 

:thud: I think I might go and take advantage of it some day! 

What a brilliant idea :D It appeals to me as I'm not sure I'd sustain interest if I had a whole book .. I'm a terrible wanderer off-er  :blush2: But then, I'd be annoyed if the previous colourer-in-er (?) had used all the wrong colours :D Would be just like the clay dinosaur I made at school .. another class were allowed to put the glaze on and when I picked him up someone had coloured him (best Ron Weasley voice :D) maroon!! Not my idea of dinosaur colours at all and not even vibrant .. if you're going to go off-piste then for goodness sake make it dynamic. Mum still has the dinosaur but it offends my eyes tbh!  :blush2:  :giggle: 

Glad flatmate has gone .. this calls for cows :cows: :cows: :cows::lol: 

Hope you can find something soon xx be nice to have your own space but it sounds as if it'll be good to spend a bit of time with your friend and her family :) Like Kylie, I do hope you have been running around nekkid!! Freedom!!  

Don't forget to run around nekkid!! What fun is having a place to yourself if you have to keep wearing clothes? :D

I've already started that ... process :giggle2: I wasn't going to advertise it on here but now that you mention it... :D

I'm glad the old flatmate is gone and you have some time to yourself. And I'm glad you're being optimistic about finding a new place for yourself. :) Have you started looking yet?

Of course I've started looking. I've signed up for council housing in Espoo and Helsinki and have also signed up for different flat agencies. There were a few apartments available this week that I quite fancied but they were gone really quick :( One needs to be very alert.... :unsure:

What a brilliant idea. It appeals to me as I'm not sure I'd sustain interest if I had a whole book .. I'm a terrible wanderer off-er.  But then, I'd be annoyed if the previous colourer-in-er (?) had used all the wrong colours. Would be just like the clay dinosaur I made at school .. another class were allowed to put the glaze on and when I picked him up someone had coloured him (best Ron Weasley voice) maroon!! Not my idea of dinosaur colours at all and not even vibrant .. if you're going to go off-piste then for goodness sake make it dynamic. Mum still has the dinosaur but it offends my eyes tbh!  

It is indeed a brilliant idea, and very generous of the library :smile2: I agree, I would worry about not doing as much coloring as I would plan if I bought a coloring book for myself. I fear that I'd lose interest somewhere along the way, and then I'd just feel bad for spending the money :blush: Especially as I have way more pressing monetary pitholes at the moment...  

Colorer-in-er :lol: You'd just have to take Alan with you and show him the book and tell him to find a none-colored-in page and open it for you so you wouldn't have to see what others have done :D Because we now know through your example that not all people are to be trusted with colors.. :o:D What a sorry sight!!

There are websites where you can find different color-in pictures and you can print them out. Or you could do what I did yesterday: I was watching Survivor, and I was tidying up my room at the same time, and I was putting away the color pens and the drawing paper I'd had out for my friend's daughter. Then I decided to just start doodling, mindlessly, while watching Survivor. I just kept drawing lines on the paper, making geometric patterns. When I was done, I started coloring them in :) And that was very soothing! 

And if that sounds boring, you could always ask Alan to draw something for you to color in? :smile2: I bet he could come up with a lot of interesting stuff. Hey, there's an idea for a business for you two! :smile2: 

Glad flatmate has gone .. this calls for cows :cows:

Hope you can find something soon xx be nice to have your own space but it sounds as if it'll be good to spend a bit of time with your friend and her family. Like Kylie, I do hope you have been running around nekkid!! Freedom!!  

Bye bye cow Hello celebratory cows! :giggle2::D

I've not been running around nekkid, as that would make one's... fatty bags swing too freely and that hurts :giggle2:

Freedom!!!! 

:lol:

Edit: I was on a date today and somehow ended up talking about coloring books with the man. Adult coloring books. He took the 'adult' to mean something very different altogether! :lol: 

Edited by frankie

When I was in school, our art teacher taught us a trick.  You draw blobs on a page and then you draw vertical lines from the top to the bottom of the page.  But you have to keep the lines parallel, going around the blobs.  It takes a lot of concentration and it is amazingly calming.  Your breathing slows, your heart rate drops and you stop worrying about stuff for a while.  You become focused in the moment.  It's very Zen.

And you don't have to spend money on a colouring book.  

Is there any chance you could post a picture? Because I'm not 100% sure what you meant with the instructions. Vertical lines that are  parallel but have to go around the blobs... So they don't have to be straight lines, right? Might sound like a silly question but I'm having a bit of a blonde moment :blush::D