Frankie reads 2015

frankie

Me either :D It's like, you get the nicest gift ever, but it comes with responsibilities and the fear of making the good, right choices... :D But like you said, I'll never not have a book to read! (And yes, I did make a few celebratory book reservations last night after the great discovery :giggle2: )

Second last day at the temp job... Employer's going to a hair dresser today, so I'm going to be taking my book with me as there will be time to just sit and wait :) Unless I'm just drawn to her stories again... I've been wondering when she taps out and will start repeating the old ones, but she always has new stories I haven't heard before. Great memory and great sense of story telling. I'll miss her sense of humor after it's over :( 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just found out that reserving a book is now free also in Helsinki, and not just Espoo... Oh dear... I thought moving to Helsinki would end my manic book reserving binges and make me concentrate on my TBR pile, but now... The rules have changed... I can continue to reserve as many as 50 books at a time...  :hide:

Wow :o! Here reserving a book costs some money, and I can only reserve 5 at a time. Unless you pay an extra yearly amount, then you can reserve much more books. I can see how this would be very tempting :D

Second last day at the temp job... Employer's going to a hair dresser today, so I'm going to be taking my book with me as there will be time to just sit and wait :) Unless I'm just drawn to her stories again... I've been wondering when she taps out and will start repeating the old ones, but she always has new stories I haven't heard before. Great memory and great sense of story telling. I'll miss her sense of humor after it's over :(

Awww :(. I'm glad you had such a great time, but it makes sense you will miss her.

Wow :o! Here reserving a book costs some money, and I can only reserve 5 at a time. Unless you pay an extra yearly amount, then you can reserve much more books. I can see how this would be very tempting :D.

I've never quite understood why in some countries you have to pay to join the library and/or pay more to be able to borrow more. I think all libraries everywhere ought to be free of charge to everyone.

Awww :(. I'm glad you had such a great time, but it makes sense you will miss her.

Such is life. She was asking me today about the 4H clubs I'm going to be leading after next week, and later she said she asked me about those because she wanted to know about my schedule, because she'd like to be able to contact me if she needs someone to do a gig every now and then, on one-off basis. I told her she's more than welcome to call me if she ever needs an assistant. I know she'll have her permanent assistant back after this weekend, but if there's anything, ever, where that assistant can't go, she can contact me.

Wow .. sounds as if it's been a great experience frankie :hug: Hope the lady will bear you in mind if she is ever in need of an assistant in the future. How great that she is a book and dog lover .. perfect!! :D 

It was definitely a great experience, and I'm really grateful for it. I can't believe it was only 2 weeks ago that I went in for the interview, and now the job's over. Time went by so fast!

I'm currently at my friends, I'm doggy sitting again :) I had to come here straight after work to let the dogs out, and give them food. Then I had to go home to get my stuff and do some things. The dogs were quite wild when I came back, they probably thought I'd ditched them :( The other came with me to the bathroom, probably just to see that I was only using the loo and not leaving them again!

I've never quite understood why in some countries you have to pay to join the library and/or pay more to be able to borrow more. I think all libraries everywhere ought to be free of charge to everyone.

I don't know either, I agree with you. I think it's because the libraries could not afford things otherwise, but that's just a guess. As far as I know, our libraries are free for children under 18.

Such is life. She was asking me today about the 4H clubs I'm going to be leading after next week, and later she said she asked me about those because she wanted to know about my schedule, because she'd like to be able to contact me if she needs someone to do a gig every now and then, on one-off basis. I told her she's more than welcome to call me if she ever needs an assistant. I know she'll have her permanent assistant back after this weekend, but if there's anything, ever, where that assistant can't go, she can contact me.

That's so nice :).

I'm currently at my friends, I'm doggy sitting again :) I had to come here straight after work to let the dogs out, and give them food. Then I had to go home to get my stuff and do some things. The dogs were quite wild when I came back, they probably thought I'd ditched them :( The other came with me to the bathroom, probably just to see that I was only using the loo and not leaving them again!

I hope you enjoy the doggy sitting :). What kind of breed(s) are the dogs?

I don't know either, I agree with you. I think it's because the libraries could not afford things otherwise, but that's just a guess. As far as I know, our libraries are free for children under 18.

It must be about money. Personally I think the Netherlands is such an advanced country and I admire a lot of its policies, that it surprises me that they would have to ask for money when it comes to libraries.

I hope you enjoy the doggy sitting :). What kind of breed(s) are the dogs?

One's a Chihuahua and the other's a Jack Russell Terrier :)

It must be about money. Personally I think the Netherlands is such an advanced country and I admire a lot of its policies, that it surprises me that they would have to ask for money when it comes to libraries.

Thank you! Yes, I don't know either. Children are free, up to 18, but adults have to pay. It was already like that when I was a child. Apparently some libraries also charge you money per book (like 10 cents or something). I'm really glad my library doesn't do that. It would cost me if it did!

One's a Chihuahua and the other's a Jack Russell Terrier :)

Awww that's so nice :).

I had a great dream last night! I dreamed that when I was visiting a library, they had this section where they put all their English titles that weren't being borrowed often enough, and they were all in pristine condition, and one was allowed to take as many as one liked. It was also a bit of a book swap thing, people were encouraged to donate a book when they took one. But there were so many other people ogling the books that I felt that if there was one that I really coveted, I'd better snatch it and come back to donate my own books later. But they kept adding to the section, they kept bringing new books left and right and I was hogging them like a greedy book barstard :D I picked about 20 titles and felt so greedy :D

(Had another dream, too, more like a nightmare, though... Had moved back to Espoo and my previous roommate came back to live with me and it was night and I woke up when she came back home from the gym and started cooking and talking on the phone and generally making a lot of noises. I went to her room to ask if she was now back and if she was going to continue making noises all night, every night, and she was like, yes. And I was like, nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!  :banghead:   :lol: Was so relieved when I woke up.)

I'm starting a new 'job' today. A friend of mine fixed me other 4H clubs to supervise :D Today I'm supervising two theater groups, for 6-9yo and 10-13yo kids. I'm not a performer of any kind myself, I hate public speaking and being at the center of attention, but then again, I'm not there to act or perform, it's the kids job :D I'll just be supervising. Tomorrow I'm going to supervise two art clubs for kids in similar age ranges as today. I'm looking forward to doing both! :smile2: I'll be doing it as long as I'm unemployed, but if I land a 'real' job, then of course I need to quit supervising the 4H clubs. 

The groups have more than a dozen kids in them, so it's going to be a lot more hectic than in the pet club I supervised, with 5 kids :D And it's only one hour per group, and not two hours. I have no idea how I'm ever going to learn all the kids' names :D

Edited by frankie

I think it went alright. The club for the younger ones was much more fun, and very lively :D I think I learned almost everyone's name, oddly enough. The group for the 'seniors' was a bit boring... :blush: There were only five girls, and already it seems like there's a group of three girls and the two others are on the outside. Not that anyone was ostracized or teased, because we won't tolerate that, but I think they might feel or might begin to feel a bit isolated. I'm going to see to it that the girls will be mixed up, if I can help it. 

Looking forward to the art clubs tomorrow... I think I might like those better. 

Sounds like you're keeping yourself busy. What are the 4H clubs? Are they holiday clubs for kids? We have various clubs over here but mine have normally only got involved with the sporty ones. When I was in my teens I lived in a big town and they had free play centres in the school holidays and I worked there through my sixth form and college years, I used to love it, lots of sport and other activities. :)

Woo-hoo for jobs and double woo-hoo for art clubs!  Love those :D.

We have 4-H over here, is it the same organization in Finland?  Wiki says it's a 'Global network of youth organizations whose mission is "engaging youth to reach their fullest potential while advancing the field of youth development."

Libraries here are for the most part free.  I haven't been in awhile but I think the only books they charge for are brand new best-sellers where there are a lot of people waiting to read.  That's kind of odd to me, you'd think that maybe they'd shorten the borrowing time or something so everyone would have a chance with a book, not charge extra.

I'm glad your job went okay, Frankie :). The art clubs sound like fun too.

Peacefield, that is strange! In the Netherlands the borrowing time for brand new best-sellers is one week instead of three, as far as I know. I'm not sure if there is a fee involved, for my library I don't think so. But when I was a child, there was a fee involved in reading the best-sellers.

Sounds like you're keeping yourself busy. What are the 4H clubs? Are they holiday clubs for kids? We have various clubs over here but mine have normally only got involved with the sporty ones. When I was in my teens I lived in a big town and they had free play centres in the school holidays and I worked there through my sixth form and college years, I used to love it, lots of sport and other activities. :)

I guess you guys in the UK don't have 4H :) Here's info on it on wikipedia. I find it interesting how they have 4H in the USA and Canada and Finland, but not in the UK, and not in many other countries, either. Very random :D If you don't feel like reading the wikipedia page, it's basically a club for kids with different sort of activities. I think in the olden golden days it was more about agriculture but nowadays it's more versatile. It's good clean fun for kids, kind of like scouts. Nothing to do with holidays in itself, although they do have different camps and activities for school holidays, too. But the whole organization and activity is a throughout-the-year sort of thing. 

Woo-hoo for jobs and double woo-hoo for art clubs!  Love those :D.

We have 4-H over here, is it the same organization in Finland?  Wiki says it's a 'Global network of youth organizations whose mission is "engaging youth to reach their fullest potential while advancing the field of youth development."

Yeah, it's the very same organization :) I love the play on the 'h': you guys have "head, heart, hands, and health", and over here that doesn't work as it would be 'pää, sydän, kädet ja terveys'. 1P1S1K1T club? :D Nope... So instead we have "harkinta, harjaannus, hyvyys ja hyvinvointi": 'harkinta' means rational thinking which is for 'head', 'harjaannus' means practice and it's for 'hands', 'hyvyys' means being good which goes for 'heart' and 'hyvinvointi' means well-being which of course is for 'health'. :) 

I liked the art clubs more than the theater clubs! The groups were smaller and it was fun to see kids making a telescope from empty toilet paper rolls and drawing treasure maps :D I told them on numerous occasions to pull up their sleeves so as not to get paint on their sleeves, and then when this one boy got paint all over his sleeve, I helped him clean up, and asked him if he'd been warned about the whole thing. He said no! I said we'd told them at least three times about it... :D The kids won't mind things like that, but you never know about their parents and I'd hate to get feedback about sending their kids home looking like they were painted on by Picasso. :D 

Libraries here are for the most part free.  I haven't been in awhile but I think the only books they charge for are brand new best-sellers where there are a lot of people waiting to read.  That's kind of odd to me, you'd think that maybe they'd shorten the borrowing time or something so everyone would have a chance with a book, not charge extra.

I agree, it would make more sense to shorten the borrowing time than to charge for the new best-sellers. That's what we do over here: you can borrow the best-sellers for two weeks instead of the full month. 

Peacefield, that is strange! In the Netherlands the borrowing time for brand new best-sellers is one week instead of three, as far as I know. I'm not sure if there is a fee involved, for my library I don't think so. But when I was a child, there was a fee involved in reading the best-sellers.

I find the three week period so very random. But it's fun to learn about different library cultures in different countries :) 

I'm ploughing through The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters and I'm not enjoying it as much as I would've hoped :unsure: I really want to finish it soon so I can start a new book. I started thinking back, wondering when was the last time I read a really gripping novel. It's been a long while! :( It was Small Steps by Louis Sachar, and that was in September... in the beginning of September, I think. I've read the following books since then and notice how every book's been rated 3/5 at the most: The Cardturner by Louis Sachar 2/5, Vinttikamaripoika by Pertti Koskinen 3/5, The Lie by C. L. Taylor 3/5, The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald 3/5, The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand 3/5,  Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper 3/5. 

Sigh! 

I noticed a few weeks ago that they'd ordered a new Monk novel for the library and I immediately reserved a copy. I got it last week and I'm planning on reading it next. I've never been let down by Monk and I'm hoping it will do the trick for me this time, too! :smile2: 

It's great to hear about the 4H clubs. I don't know if my country has them, to be honest. I think maybe we do. I don't like being around children myself but I do like hearing stories about them and their activities. I'm glad you're having fun :).

Awwww, I hope you read a more gripping book soon :(. I hope the Monk novel will be good :friends3:.

Thanks gals! Thankfully I finished The Paying Guests last night. It took me at least 1,5 weeks! I moved onto the Monk book, managed only 17 pages before I fell asleep. 

I've managed to contract some sort of flu so now I'm bedridden. It's not fun being sick, but at least I'm allowed to just lie in bed and read as much as I like! If reading gets too tiring, I'll just continue with Dexter

Thanks Claire!  :flowers2:   I'm trying to take it easy, and am having lots of tea and fluids. Last night I also boiled some water and inhaled it, keeping my head under a blanket, like I used to do when I was a kid and was constantly sick. I don't like doing it but it can help get the mucus/phlegm going. 

I'm feeling a lot better, thanks! :smile2: The hot water inhaling and neti potting helped, I'm breathing a lot more easily now and I don't feel as clogged up :smile2: Need to take it easy for a few more days, not 100% myself yet. Managed to go grocery shopping yesterday which was nice. The weather was so lovely, and it was nice to have some fresh air. Mid way to the store I stopped to take a breath, all randomly (:giggle:) but conveniently in front of the secondhand bookshop, and gave the shop window and the books inside a good, appreciative browse. When I was done with them and wanted to see what might be looming in the bookcases at the back, I noticed that the shop keeper had been sitting at the arm chair by the window the whole time. I got spooked and left :D The shop was closed, what the hell was he doing inside, and in the dark, too?? :lol: