Frankie reads 2015

frankie

Started to arrange the books in the bookcase, and now there are books everywhere and it's messy and it's 8 PM and I'm tired and want to take a shower and go to sleep :D I'm finding this difficult! Also, the lighting in this apartment is not book friendly... The owner's opted for atmospheric lighting and not eye-seeing-friendly lighting  :doh:  :lol: It would be great if I had a BF and needed some atmosphere, but I only have my books :D 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Invest in a lamp. :D

I would if I had any extra cash lying around... :blush: Moving is expensive!

Glad the move has gone well and you're managing to unpack your books though. 11 weeks in and our books are still in boxes in the garage :(

I'd hate for my books to be away from me, and in a garage as well :o Poor books, all alone in the cold and dark :(

I'd also like to do something new and different: arrange a section with TBR and non-TBR. But that would feel very cut-throat :blush::D It's like I'd divide the books into two camps and they were each other's enemies :unsure:

I have a separate bookcase for my unread books - I feel like a really mean person now!  :wibbly:  :P

I have a separate shelf for my TBR books but they're starting to encroach on the rest of my book case.  I plan on rearranging this weekend.  I tend to keep quite a few little non-book related things on my case with my books like framed photos and miniature chairs.  I'll have to post a photo in the 'Show Us Your Bookshelf' thread when I'm finished!

I know what you mean about feeling unsettled and unable to relax, Frankie.  That'll come in time after it subconsciously sinks that you'll be there for awhile :D.

I have a separate bookcase for my unread books - I feel like a really mean person now!  :wibbly:  :P

:lol: But you have two separate bookcases so you're bound to have to divide the books in some way! I'm only operating with one bookcase... :lol: 

I have a separate shelf for my TBR books but they're starting to encroach on the rest of my book case.  I plan on rearranging this weekend.  I tend to keep quite a few little non-book related things on my case with my books like framed photos and miniature chairs.  I'll have to post a photo in the 'Show Us Your Bookshelf' thread when I'm finished!

Don't read what Jänet wrote above and how I responded to her message, please. :blush::giggle2:

I've just finished organizing my bookcase, so I'm now passing on my patience to you :D I hope you'll have fun. I was seriously lacking the energy myself. But it's now done! It might need some fine-tuning a bit later, though. And there are empty spaces :o I might have to start using the case for knick knacks, too! :D

Oh yeah and do post pictures! Maybe even before and after -shots? :)

I know what you mean about feeling unsettled and unable to relax, Frankie.  That'll come in time after it subconsciously sinks that you'll be there for awhile :D.

Yeah, it's bound to happen at some point :) I've been sleeping on a spare mattress on the floor this time, and tonight I might take the plunge and sleep in the loft bed and store the mattress somewhere. It'll be nice when I don't have to start the morning by shoving the mattress on top of the couch to make room on the floor :D

What's the thing with you and miniature chairs? Just out of curiosity :D

Edited by frankie

I've just finished organizing my bookcase, so I'm now passing on my patience to you :D I hope you'll have fun. I was seriously lacking the energy myself. But it's now done! It might need some fine-tuning a bit later, though. And there are empty spaces :o I might have to start using the case for knick knacks, too! :D

The good thing is, you can live with it for a while and if you find you need a different organisation system, you can start all over again! :D

I have to say, I like to keep my TBR books separately, just so I know where there are, but then we've got books everywhere not just in one bookcase, so it's sort of a necessity really. :roll:

The good thing is, you can live with it for a while and if you find you need a different organisation system, you can start all over again! :D

That is very true, and quite relieving! :D I guess it's just that my books were in a certain order for a year, and the bookcase fit them perfectly and I had the books in perfect order... It was more tricky this time, the shelves being different sizes. But it's good that it's not cramped, it'll be easier to change things around.

I have to say, I like to keep my TBR books separately, just so I know where there are, but then we've got books everywhere not just in one bookcase, so it's sort of a necessity really. :roll:

I can understand that, wanting to know where your TBR books are and seeing how much there's left, but personally I couldn't separate a certain author's books, especially if it was a series, based on which books I've already read and which I still have to read. That would feel so weird and messy :blush:

I tried going up to the loft bed, had major second thoughts about it... If I have a hard time going up there to put the sheets on the bed, what are the chances I'll feel comfortable sleeping up there  :hide:  :lol:

But the longer I procrastinate instead of just doing it, the less time I have to dedicate to the read-a-thon... :unsure:

I have sad news: my first night on the loft bed turned sour. No, I didn't fall, but a book I'd been reading in bed did. It took a nasty hit, and spent the rest of the night all cold on the floor, abandoned. Thank goodness it was a hardcover. Sorry, Herman Koch. :unsure: 

Visited my new 'home' library today for the first time ever. I've seen the building many times when I've been on my way to a friend, but have never been inside. 

I set off at 1 PM with a map. I know some streets in my new neighborhood from before, but not all the streets in between, connecting the different places. I knew it would take me about 15 minutes to get to the library... I went for a walk yesterday, too, and missed this one street that would conveniently lead me to the subway station and the library, and I missed the same freaking street today, too. So I ended up going around in circles... Even though I had a freaking map! At one point I'd reached the bloody subway station even though it was in the wrong direction... And I ended up in one particular street where there's a secondhand bookshop twice!! It was so annoying... It took me an hour to find the freaking library!  :doh:  By then I was so cold that I popped in a kiosk and got a coffee. I was drinking the coffee in front of the library when this guy came out through a side door and started smoking. I asked him if he works at the library and if he knew how I could ask for a job. But he was 'only' doing his civil service thing. We talked for a while and he then asked if I was from Joensuu :D My dialect is a dead giveaway...

Anyhow, then I went in and checked out the library. A bit small... Not that many books around. Surprisingly few titles! :( I guess all the branch libraries over here are small... But it was a nice and comfy library. I needed to scan a document for a thing and the customer service was great and obliging. I also found a few titles I've been wanting to borrow for a while: Mike and Psmith by P. G. Wodehouse (have never seen a copy of this before!), Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper (started this once before but then mojo ran away) and The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker. And this one's a signed first edition :o I saw the signature on the first page and thought it was a poor joke, but then read the sticker on the front cover :o 

When I walked back, I decided to just follow the tram tracks, and by golly, I was home in 15 minutes... :blush: Well it was good exercise! Fresh air! 

#61. The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand 

From the book cover: Madeline King and Grace Pancik are best friends and the envy of Nantucket for their perfect marriages, their beautiful kids, their Saturday night double dates with their devoted husbands. But this summer, something's changed, and if there's anything Nantucket likes better than cocktails on the beach at sunset, it's a good rumor. And the rumor has it...

... that Madeline, a novelist, is battling writer's block, with a deadline looming, bills piling up, and blank pages driving her to desperation - and a desperately bad decision;

... that Grace, hard at work to transform her backyard into a garden paradise, has been collaborating a bit more closely than necessary with her ruggedly handsome landscape architect;

... that Grace's husband, successful island real estate developer "Fast Eddie" Pancik, has embarked on quite an unusual side project;

... that the storybook romance between Madeline's son, Brick, and Grace's daughter Allegra is on the rocks, heading for disaster. 

As the gossip escalates, and they face the possible loss of the happy lives they've worked so hard to create, Grace and Madeline try mightily to set the record straight - but the truth might be even worse than rumor has it. 

Thoughts: A readable book which is not something to frown upon if one's been having problems with one's mojo... However, if I had my usual reading capacities intact, this would've been very much a meh book. It's now only semi meh. Or rather, a full-on meh, but I'm just happy to have been able to read a book. I liked the cover, too :D Very soothing. A sunny day on the beach. I wish it was summer and the sky was clear and the sun was shining and it would be warm again... As it just so happens, I finally visited the seaside this Monday for the first time since I moved to south. The beach wasn't as white and soft as one would have liked, but the sea was there! :smile2: It was a cold day, though. But I did get to walk along the beach :)  Very much off-topic, but why not, when one hasn't got that much to say about the actual novel...  :lurker:

3/5

What's the thing with you and miniature chairs? Just out of curiosity :D

Ever since I took a class in college about decorative arts and furniture, I've been fascinated with chairs, especially during the mid-century modern time period which according to Wikipedia is roughly 1933-1965.

Because I can't really afford original chairs from this era I have 22 miniature versions, which are about 1/12th the size of the real thing.  Although last weekend I went to a flea market and found my own full size chair for only $25!  It's not by a famous designer but it looks to be from the 1960's so I'm very happy :D.  I've been meaning to start my own general thread (like the old Coffee Shop) and post a photo.  I'll have to post photos of my mini chairs too!

Aren't you glad you asked about my chair obsession?! :P:lol:

Ever since I took a class in college about decorative arts and furniture, I've been fascinated with chairs, especially during the mid-century modern time period which according to Wikipedia is roughly 1933-1965.

Because I can't really afford original chairs from this era I have 22 miniature versions, which are about 1/12th the size of the real thing.  Although last weekend I went to a flea market and found my own full size chair for only $25!  It's not by a famous designer but it looks to be from the 1960's so I'm very happy :D.  I've been meaning to start my own general thread (like the old Coffee Shop) and post a photo.  I'll have to post photos of my mini chairs too!

Aren't you glad you asked about my chair obsession?! :P:lol:

Weird what college can do to you! :D :D So cool that you finally found a real, full size chair that, even though it's not totally designer-guaranteed antique, is old and totally fanciful and in your price range! :smile2: I'd definitely like to see pictures of your collection, big and small :D

In answer to your question, yes, I am glad I asked :D I'm quite sure other people would find your chairs interesting, too! :yes:

Edit: I find it so curious that you've been meaning to start your own thread and post on the subject, and here I asked you about it! Well, you did mention them yourself first, so it's not that great of a coincidence... :D 

Edited by frankie

Am somewhat mega tired. A friend of mine told me about this personal assistant's temp job last Thursday, and I went for an interview the next day, last Friday, and started work today. It all happened so fast! It's only for two weeks, but I ain't complaining. I could use the experience, and the money, and my employer is such a fun and nice lady :smile2: She actually told me today that it's a shame that I hadn't applied for the job a month or so ago, because that's when she was looking for a new full-time employee and now someone else has filled the position. I took it to mean that if I'd been interviewed then, she might have hired me full-time! But it was at the time when I was looking for a new flat and had no energy to be looking for a job simultaneously. Oh well, such is life sometimes. 

This is my first job as a personal assistant so it's all very new to me. The term personal assistant might be a bit misleading, though, I find. What it means is that I'm working for a person who has a disability or disabilities of some sort, and I help them with different aspects of their everyday life: cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry, shopping, etc. I think I'm pretty darn lucky that my first employer is such a nice person with such a great attitude in life. She has so many funny stories, I don't know how she remembers so many things that have happened in her life! 

What's a tremendous bonus, is that she's a bookworm and loves dogs :lol::cool: That was totally coincidental! Her sister has two dogs and she told me about them and I saw a picture of one of them, too. He looked soooo adorable! :wub: 

So very tired. But happy. I've enjoyed the work and the company of the employer :) I recommended her some books after hearing her talk about some books she's really enjoyed. I mentioned a few titles to her yesterday but we didn't have time to check them on the computer, and didn't have time for that today, either, but she really wanted me to write the titles down so she can look them up herself. The first one is a Finnish novel about a reporter going undercover and visiting old people as a nurse or caretaker of some sort, in order to write an expose on how old people are treated. It was a really thought-provoking novel, and it made me think about what it's going to be like when we get old. It paints a very bleak picture, and it can make you depressed, so better not to think about it too much. But my employee really liked the sound of the novel. 

She's read Untinen-Auel's novels so of course I recommended her Linda Lay Shuler's books. Then I suggested she read A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. I have loads of other suggestions but I thought we ought to start small :) 

My own reading's been suffering though. Too tired. 

Forgot to add that I went to the library today, because Dexter season 6 had arrived, and I knew some other novel might be there, one I've reserved. Was astounded when I saw it was the new Harper Lee novel! :o I didn't expect to get a copy of the book so soon! It's a Finnish copy. I didn't think it would matter if I read it in English or in Finnish, I read the first novel in Finnish too, so doesn't make a difference. Usually new English novels don't get translated into Finnish so soon, but this one was bound to be a popular novel so I assume the translators in different countries may have gotten the English original way before it was even published in English, so that they could start their work on the novel as soon as possible. 

I also found a copy of Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole. I don't remember where I got wind of the novel, but I really like the sound of it. 

If only I could settle down with one novel. Have tried reading a few different books in the past few nights but nothing's stuck so far :( 

I'm glad you enjoyed the work :). I hope you'll feel less tired soon.

Woohoo for the new Harper Lee novel. It's already translated in Dutch too, came out on the same day as the English version I believe. Unusual, usually we have to wait quite a bit of time.

I hope your mojo comes back soon :(.

I'm glad you enjoyed the work :). I hope you'll feel less tired soon.

Thanks! :) I'm not too tired today. My body's having to get used to all the lifting and stuff, but I'm glad it's not given up yet :D My neck is tense today, it might also be due to the going in from the cold and getting back out and it being cold again, but some friends are coming over today to see my new apartment and the evening involves a bit of wine, so I hope that will relax my muscles overall, and neck in particular :) 

Woohoo for the new Harper Lee novel. It's already translated in Dutch too, came out on the same day as the English version I believe. Unusual, usually we have to wait quite a bit of time.

Very cool that you also got the Dutch version so early! :smile2: I suspect it's the case with a lot of different countries and languages.

I hope your mojo comes back soon :(.

Me, too! :unsure: 

Where are you up to in Dexter? Season 6 already? If so, I've fallen way behind!

No no no, I'm not up to season 6!! But the DVD arrived sooner than I'd thought, after reserving it, so I already have it. I've not started season 4 yet :( Haven't had the time! 

Just found out that reserving a book is now free also in Helsinki, and not just Espoo... Oh dear... I thought moving to Helsinki would end my manic book reserving binges and make me concentrate on my TBR pile, but now... The rules have changed... I can continue to reserve as many as 50 books at a time...  :hide: