Frankie reads 2014

frankie

Will we see a picture of the book case at some point :blush2:?

When I have the time and inclination to take pictures and download them :) 

I can't tell you how much I freak out over this happening to me.  I never ever leave any liquids next to my computer or (OMG) Kindle.  I don't even leave them near anything that can be knocked over.  I worked at a radio station for many years, one time, a stupid DJ opened a bottle of Champaign over the soundboard and it went everywhere (obviously).  Ruined the whole brand new $10,000 board.  :o

It takes awhile to get that "homey" feeling in a new place- once, I moved to an apartment that was exactly the opposite of my previous one!  I'd be in the kitchen, trying to find the bathroom :giggle2:

I once served my laptop some coca-cola. Never again :P 

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to the library yesterday to see if I could find a map, or if the good library folk would at least tell me where to find one. When I was looking for someone to ask about it, I came across an info board on happenings and meetings at the library. Some interesting stuff! And there was also a book club in Finnish, and one in English...! Bloody hell... The English titles didn't sound too interesting, though. Not ones that I've been wanting to read :shrug:

As I was going over all the details, some man came over to look at the board, too. After a while he asked me if I was a staff member. And I was wearing sweatpants and jogging shoes and an old T-shirt :lol: I said 'no...?'. He apologized and said it was my key swinging that made him think I was. I told him I'd just moved in two weeks ago, and we talked a bit about the events advertised on the info board. He also told me where to ask if I had any questions about Espoo, there's a particular section at the library for that. What a nice, helpful man! :)

Then I went in to the section and I was looking for the machine from which to get my number to wait in line, but I happened to see there were all sorts of brochures on some stands and started going over them. I found a few maps and a magazine with all sorts of tips on what to go and see in the southern Finland this autumn, and I also found a leaflet on a free of charge exercise group for adults that meets every Tuesday at a local school, which I've happened to walk by a few times so I know it's only a 5 minute walk from my place. Awesome! :)

I then got home and spread all my brochures and leaflets on the dining room table and started looking at the map, trying to figure out where I was and what different areas there are in Espoo. I was a bit baffled by one of the maps: on the other side there was a not-so-detailed map of the whole of Espoo, and on the other side there was a very detailed map of a certain area in Espoo and then a map of the center of Helsinki :D What the hell? It's an Espoo city map! :rolleyes: I said as much to my flatmate Elle, and she then barged in and wanted to show me all the places she's lived in over the years, on the map. She was hogging my map! Bloody hell.... 

Later I went for a walk, and I'm ashamed to say it was actually my first real walk in Espoo :blush: I stayed in the neighborhood, but found some really nice looking buildings and I also saw glimpses of this wooden house area behind tall buildings. That seemed like a really nice area, I'm going to go there for a walk soon! :)

Edited by frankie

The library sounds brilliant. How fantastic to have somewhere like that on your doorstep. :)

I love exploring places just by walking around. It doesn't matter if you get a bit lost as you've only walked there, so you can't be too far away from somewhere you know, and you find all sorts of gems of streets, architectures, shops, places to sit and read, and who knows what else?! :D

As we're staying at home while I'm on holiday this year, I've been doing a bit more exploring around my own town too. Now, admittedly, it's a pretty small town compared to a big city, and I have lived here since I was seven (albeit with a couple of years away when I first left home), so I know most of it, but there are some areas I rarely go to. It's all residential, so I'm not going to stumble on any surprise bookshops or libraries, but it's mostly a Victorian town, so it's nice to look at styles or architecture around.

It's nice that your library does so many events, Frankie! I've been browsing the site of my library but they aren't doing many things I'm interested in.

I'm glad you're having fun exploring Espoo :). I looked up Espoo on Google Maps, it looks like a nice place :).

Don't worry about the photos, I'm happy to wait as long as it takes :). I'm glad you're settling in allright.

You are settling in beautifully!  Great descriptions of your walkabouts. :) 

It does sound like lots of fun. :D 

When we moved up here from N.O., we drove around, just aimlessly.....not a walkable place, unfortunately.  Everything is very far apart.  Auto necessary here. 

It's such fun discovering a place. :)

The library sounds brilliant. How fantastic to have somewhere like that on your doorstep. 

It really is great. When I was sick and had to go get some medicine, I was so happy that the pharmacy was just a few minutes' walk from home, and that the library is on the way :D I got a few books to keep me company :blush: 

I love exploring places just by walking around. It doesn't matter if you get a bit lost as you've only walked there, so you can't be too far away from somewhere you know, and you find all sorts of gems of streets, architectures, shops, places to sit and read, and who knows what else?! 

Exactly! It's far better than driving by. You get so much more out of it when you have the time to take everything in and you can just pause and look at things. 

As we're staying at home while I'm on holiday this year, I've been doing a bit more exploring around my own town too. Now, admittedly, it's a pretty small town compared to a big city, and I have lived here since I was seven (albeit with a couple of years away when I first left home), so I know most of it, but there are some areas I rarely go to. It's all residential, so I'm not going to stumble on any surprise bookshops or libraries, but it's mostly a Victorian town, so it's nice to look at styles or architecture around.

I'm so envious of you guys for having such old architecture, great old buildings just lying about :D I have a particular fondness for Tudor houses, for some reason. They are so cozy and pretty :smile2: We don't have many old historical buildings in Finland, so the sceneries are not quite as varied as in the UK. 

And sometimes when you've lived in the same place for years and years on end, you sometimes become blind to the things surrounding you. You don't look at them the way a visitor would. So I think it's great that you are going for walks and trying to look at it from a fresh perspective :) 

It's nice that your library does so many events, Frankie! I've been browsing the site of my library but they aren't doing many things I'm interested in.

There are so many events going on that one's mind boggles :D Almost too much to handle! There's a lecture on stress and how to handle it at the library this Saturday and I'm thinking about going. I want to see if they have any great tips :) 

I'm glad you're having fun exploring Espoo. I looked up Espoo on Google Maps, it looks like a nice place.

When I went for a walk last week, I'd already decided on a route I'd take, but I took a detour when I found a sign saying 'Alberga's manor' (Alberga is my city area's name in Swedish). I wanted to see a manor! And this is what I found, only a few minutes' walk from my house:

alberga_5.jpg

You are settling in beautifully!  Great descriptions of your walkabouts.

It does sound like lots of fun.

When we moved up here from N.O., we drove around, just aimlessly.....not a walkable place, unfortunately.  Everything is very far apart.  Auto necessary here. 

It's such fun discovering a place. 

I really should go for more walks now that I've recovered from my flu :) The weather's great, too, and I should do some serious exploring before next week. The weather's going to be turning awfully cold then. 

My local library is being shut down by the council because of cuts in spending. It is to be run entirely by unpaid volunteers from Sept 27 onwards.

That's such a shame!! :( And an outrage!!  :banghead:   A very rotten decision indeed.

Some pictures of my books and my bookcase etc :)

Magnetic bookmarks that I got from a friend as souvenirs from her trip to the UK

post-4458-0-26510900-1411055876_thumb.jpg

Library loans

post-4458-0-51386200-1411055901_thumb.jpg

Library loans on a bookshelf

post-4458-0-65430600-1411055930_thumb.jpg

And my bookcase

post-4458-0-32458900-1411055988_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankie

Nice shelves, Frankie- how many do you have now?

I've been contemplating a read of Interview with the Vampire, (and Queen of the Damned).  Do you know if they stand alone?  How did you like the Twilight series?

Nice shelves, Frankie- how many do you have now?

Do you mean shelves or bookcases or books? All those books are crammed in that one bookcase :) I guess you could say I have 16 shelves that fit three rows of books per shelf.

I've been contemplating a read of Interview with the Vampire, (and Queen of the Damned).  Do you know if they stand alone?  How did you like the Twilight series?

I don't know if the subsequent books stand alone, but IwtV you can definitely read and not read any further if you don't wish to. But then again it's the first in the series :shrug:

I liked the Twilight series, yes :) Some books more than others. I read the first two in 2008 I think, then it took me till 2013 to re-read them and continue on with the rest of the series, books 3 and 4. It was a real marathon read :D Good stuff. If you don't take it too seriously. Or if you like, you can take it seriously, too, if you're into that sort of thing :)

Edited by frankie

Great shelves, Frankie! It's great to see all your lovely books :D!

Interview with the Vampire can certainly be read standalone if I remember it correctly. I don't know about Queen of the Damned, since it's number three in the series. I read them in order many years ago so I couldn't say :blush2:, sorry.