Frankie reads 2014

frankie

Helsinki is only a 14 minute train ride away at most (there are a few different trains, some faster than others). 2 friends are within an easy walking distance from the main train station in Helsinki, but to see some of the others, I'll have to switch trains or take the subway or a tram (if that's the word) or a bus. Oh, there's also one beer tram! :D

There's a bit of room for more books, yes (and one bookshelf if I don't mind putting some in the livingroom), but I'm thinking about challenging myself this year and not buy any more books :blush: I have so many already! 

The beer tram for me, please :P I bet you all have some good beer up there!  It's great you are now so close to your friends- one of my two best friends lives a 10 hour car ride from me and we are constantly trying to come up with ways to see each other.  They might even vacation in Disneyland with us next year :exc:

Can you REALLY get by a year without buying books?  lol

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The beer tram for me, please :P I bet you all have some good beer up there!  It's great you are now so close to your friends- one of my two best friends lives a 10 hour car ride from me and we are constantly trying to come up with ways to see each other.  They might even vacation in Disneyland with us next year :exc:

10 hours by car to see a friend, that would be horrible :(  :empathy:   But then when you see each other, it's all the more fun and visiting Disneyland would be hella awesome, I'm sure! :) 

Can you REALLY get by a year without buying books?  lol

I never said a whole year, I only said the end of this year :P:giggle2: 

I went to the book shop today, the one at the mall. Pretty books! :wub: And all the English titles were right there next to the entrance, too. Talk about temptation :D 

I also went to the library to get my library card. Very late of me, I know! There was this librarian with a small station with a laptop set up for her, and there was a sign saying she would handle the new library card applications. She was very nice and welcoming, and it only took a few minutes to get my card. It's the ugliest one I've ever seen, by the way :D Goodness me... She told me about the most basic rules and then I asked her a question about the reservation system, if it's free, and she said it was a good question actually, and that she would actually have to check from someone else. When she came back she told me reserving books is free, as long as I get them delivered to Espoo or the other cities, and not Helsinki. She was talkative and asked me where I'd come from and when I told her I moved from Joensuu, she said she'd studied there for a while! And that it gets cold in the winter up there. She started talking about eyelashes freezing... :D She also said her boyfriend bought his first woolly hat when she lived in Joensuu and he came to visit. Yes, that's Joensuu for you :D 

I then wandered off to take a look at the different sections. It seems like a big one! It was so curious, because I'm so used to the Joensuu library. I happened upon the English titles section by accident. And got one book off the shelf :giggle2: A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins. I also wanted to borrow Tom Holt's Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages but figured I should leave that for another time. I also got a Finnish copy of Herman Koch's The Dinner

This is what the library card looks like: 

I was just looking for some info on the library bosses, and had to go to the libraries' website, and do a search on staff members but came across an option for searching for the libraries that allow dogs in the premises :D Wohoo! I could make a list and go and visit the dog-friendly libraries :exc: 

I was just looking for some info on the library bosses, and had to go to the libraries' website, and do a search on staff members but came across an option for searching for the libraries that allow dogs in the premises :D Wohoo! I could make a list and go and visit the dog-friendly libraries :exc:

Oh  my gosh, that is so awesome!  I wish we had more things like that!

I'm just waiting for someone to make a comment about that! :lol:

Oh! OH!! :D Helmet!! :D

Yay for joining the library. I take it you were good and not tempted by the books in the shop? :)

Yes I was good :yes: Well I was tempted with one title, because it's one that I've never seen anywhere. An old true crime book. But didn't buy anything :) Imma good girl, me :yes:

I don't know why I didn't realize that before. Helmet! :D

You see, the only thing I found odd/funny about it is that 'helmet' means 'pearls' in Finnish. I think I learned where the name comes from... It's Helsinki metropolitan area libraries or something.

Oh! OH!! :D Helmet!! :D

Yes I was good :yes: Well I was tempted with one title, because it's one that I've never seen anywhere. An old true crime book. But didn't buy anything :) Imma good girl, me :yes:

I must admit to a childish snigger! :giggle:

Well done for not buying the book. Mind you, if it's one you haven't seen before maybe you should have bought it.  :lurker:

I must admit to a childish snigger! :giggle:

:lol: I'm now wondering how helmets might be connected to books... Well if someone throws them off the second floor, it's good that the people on the first floor are equipped with helmets!   :hide:

Well done for not buying the book. Mind you, if it's one you haven't seen before maybe you should have bought it.  :lurker:

I see your point but it's a book that's not very high on my priority list :) And I need to be good at the moment because I haven't found a job yet!  :lurker:

Our local library had make your own cards at one stage. This was years ago and I wish they would bring it back! Plain front, details all on back. You used markers to draw what you wanted. :)

She was talkative and asked me where I'd come from and when I told her I moved from Joensuu, she said she'd studied there for a while! And that it gets cold in the winter up there. She started talking about eyelashes freezing...

How do the temps compare in Espoo? What are warmest/coldest summer/winter temps? Will you have more daylight in winter?

100 loans, they say ;):D  :readingtwo:

What? You can borrow 100 books at a time? Have I misinterpreted that?

You see, the only thing I found odd/funny about it is that 'helmet' means 'pearls' in Finnish. I think I learned where the name comes from... It's Helsinki metropolitan area libraries or something.

When I saw HelMet, I wondered if maybe it meant Helsinki Metro. I was right! :D

I see your point but it's a book that's not very high on my priority list :) And I need to be good at the moment because I haven't found a job yet!  :lurker:

Did you ask about jobs at the library?

Our local library had make your own cards at one stage. This was years ago and I wish they would bring it back! Plain front, details all on back. You used markers to draw what you wanted. :)

That would be so cool! :cool:

How do the temps compare in Espoo? What are warmest/coldest summer/winter temps? Will you have more daylight in winter?

Well I'm not an expert and I've never kept statistics, but I'd say the temps in Espoo are maybe 10 degrees lower in the winter than in Joensuu. But that depends on things... These days, the summers are pretty much equally warm. This summer was hotter in Joensuu than in Helsinki, which I thought was cool :cool: And I think it rains more over here, because of the sea. Oh yes, I now actually live closer to the sea! I must remember this in the summer :)

The days get darker a bit later here in Espoo than in Joensuu, but in the summer the sun goes down earlier than in Joensuu. You win some, you lose some :D But it only varies by half an hour or so, so it's really not that big of a difference when we get so much sunlight in the summer and so little of it in the winter. Half an hour here or there doesn't make much difference in these latitudes. Or was it latitudes. Hm.

Today is a warm day for an autumn day, it's 9 AM and it's about 15 degrees Celsius.

But overall, the temperature differences aren't that huge. But it's going to be a milder winter for me, which I don't mind... But I fear that it's possible that I will not have a white Christmas and/or winter :( That would suck very, very bad!

What? You can borrow 100 books at a time? Have I misinterpreted that?

I can borrow 100 books at a time, yes, but I can't borrow 100 books every day... It means I can have 100 loans at a time and I can't borrow more until I've taken some back :)

When I saw HelMet, I wondered if maybe it meant Helsinki Metro. I was right! :D

Wohoo! :D The big M is there for a reason :D

Did you ask about jobs at the library?

I did, yes. I told the nice person I was going to ask for jobs and she gave me some info on whom to contact about it. But I have to get in contact with the unemployment agency before I can go and ask at the library. I've registered at the agency online, I'm now waiting for their call, they will get in contact with me within 14 days.

Edited by frankie

What's a Mr Blobby?

I've been to Goodreads for the first time in a while and my stats tell me I'm 12 books behind on my reading challenge this year :D I blame Espoo... 

I've placed 8 reservations for books at the library :giggle2: 7 yesterday, and one just now (I blame poppyshake for today's one! Oh yes I like to play the blame game :D). One of the books is Sophie Divry's The Library of Unrequited Love! :exc: I remember when I discovered the book and wanted to read it so much, but they didn't have copies at the Joensuu libraries... But they do in Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa/Kirkkonummi and one of the copies is actually on its way to my Sello library :exc: 

I may be 12 books behind, but on a more positive note, my GR stats say that I only have to read 21 books to have 1,000 titles marked as read! I'm aiming for that one, and surely I can achieve it by the end of the year :smile2: