Frankie reads 2014

frankie

Don't I know it :D When you see a book on your bookshelf and go 'bleh....' and sigh at the thought of having to read it, it's best to let go :giggle2: Poor book, though! But I will give them to the library, as donations if they'll take them, or then I will leave them at the bookswap bookcase they have there. I've already snatched one book from there (I can't believe I forgot what it was.... Oh yes!! The Elegance of the Hedgehog! I remember when I read it and liked it (it was an RC book, I was the host) but then gave it to a friend, thinking I wouldn't probably re-read it. I've regretted giving it away ever since and was so happy to find a free copy at the library!), so I'm going to need to bring something back :) 

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished Mr. Monk Gets On Board last night in bed and have thus read 1,000 books according to my Goodreads account  :readingtwo:   :boogie:   It was one of the challenges I set for myself for this year am I'm happy to have down it now :) 

On to the next read... Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham. 

I finished Mr. Monk Gets On Board last night in bed and have thus read 1,000 books according to my Goodreads account  :readingtwo:   :boogie:   It was one of the challenges I set for myself for this year am I'm happy to have down it now :)

Congratulations!! Well done :).

Don't I know it :D When you see a book on your bookshelf and go 'bleh....' and sigh at the thought of having to read it, it's best to let go :giggle2: Poor book, though! But I will give them to the library, as donations if they'll take them, or then I will leave them at the bookswap bookcase they have there. I've already snatched one book from there (I can't believe I forgot what it was.... Oh yes!! The Elegance of the Hedgehog! I remember when I read it and liked it (it was an RC book, I was the host) but then gave it to a friend, thinking I wouldn't probably re-read it. I've regretted giving it away ever since and was so happy to find a free copy at the library!), so I'm going to need to bring something back :)

So do all libraries in Finland have a book swap section? How does the one in Espoo compare to the one in Joensuu?

Ha, funnily enough, I believe I recently added The Elegance of the Hedgehog to my pile of books I've decided not to read (in your words, a 'bleh...' book :D). The RC reviews kind of put me off reading it. But at the same time, I think it's on at least a couple of my lists, so I feel like I should read it. I have the ebook version though, so I won't be totally lost if I get rid of my hard copy. If only I could have given it to you!

On to the next read... Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham. 

Yay for 1,000 books! And even more yays for Lena Dunham!  :exc:

Congratulations!! Well done.

Thanks! :) 

So do all libraries in Finland have a book swap section? How does the one in Espoo compare to the one in Joensuu?

I don't know, but I don't see any reason for them not to have. I mean it's basically just a book trolley and the librarians do not have to manage it in any way. People will bring books and take books, and it's as easy as that. Even my hometown library now has one :)

The Espoo book swap section doesn't differ from the Joensuu one in any way except for the fact that in the Joensuu main library they have a book trolley, and in the Sello library they have a bookcase sort of thing. I would say that Espoo doesn't have more books on offer at any given time than Joensuu, when you take into account the number of inhabitants.

Ha, funnily enough, I believe I recently added The Elegance of the Hedgehog to my pile of books I've decided not to read (in your words, a 'bleh...' book ). The RC reviews kind of put me off reading it. But at the same time, I think it's on at least a couple of my lists, so I feel like I should read it. I have the ebook version though, so I won't be totally lost if I get rid of my hard copy. If only I could have given it to you!

Oh man :D Where did I say bleh? :D:blush: It's weird how you sometimes think more highly of a book after it's been a while after you read it... Because I nowadays have very fond notions of the book :)

And thanks for your consideration  :hug: But I like the Finnish paperback copy, and the translation is very good, too. After all, the original is in French so it's really all the same to have a Finnish copy than an English copy. 

Yay for 1,000 books! And even more yays for Lena Dunham! 

:D You really liked the book, didn't you! 

Congrats on 1,000 books read Frankie! :D

Thanks Devi! :D  :b7ydance:  

Oh and my flatmate is coming back today to get the rest of her belongings and then the apartment's officially mine. She moved out on Monday, but she still has a few bags here, which she's coming to get today. She had jars of this and packets of that and a little of this and a little of that left in the cupboards, packets and jars she will probably say that are empty and can be thrown to the trash. I've put them all next to her belongings on the table and if she says they're fine to take to trash I might just not be able to contain myself and ask her why she didn't put them in the trash then. :blush: It's so simple, to get rid of your waste when you move out... Why leave it to the ones that are left behind? :shrug:

After she's gone, I'm going to put my DVDs in the livingroom and rearrange my bookcase :exc: 

Oh and my flatmate is coming back today to get the rest of her belongings and then the apartment's officially mine. She moved out on Monday, but she still has a few bags here, which she's coming to get today. She had jars of this and packets of that and a little of this and a little of that left in the cupboards, packets and jars she will probably say that are empty and can be thrown to the trash. I've put them all next to her belongings on the table and if she says they're fine to take to trash I might just not be able to contain myself and ask her why she didn't put them in the trash then. :blush: It's so simple, to get rid of your waste when you move out... Why leave it to the ones that are left behind? :shrug:

After she's gone, I'm going to put my DVDs in the livingroom and rearrange my bookcase :exc:

I fully agree with you, that's just rude behaviour in my opinion. I don't like it when people don't clean up their trash, it's so selfish.

Have fun with your organising :)!

I don't know, but I don't see any reason for them not to have. I mean it's basically just a book trolley and the librarians do not have to manage it in any way. People will bring books and take books, and it's as easy as that. Even my hometown library now has one :)

The Espoo book swap section doesn't differ from the Joensuu one in any way except for the fact that in the Joensuu main library they have a book trolley, and in the Sello library they have a bookcase sort of thing. I would say that Espoo doesn't have more books on offer at any given time than Joensuu, when you take into account the number of inhabitants.

Ah, OK. I wondered about the selection because I picked up on the fact that you mentioned a 'bookcase' in Espoo but I remembered the 'trolley' from Joensuu, and I was picturing two very different-sized selections.

You Finns must be very honest people for the libraries to set out books to swap and not worry about people just pinching all the books without leaving anything behind. :)

Oh man :D Where did I say bleh? It's weird how you sometimes think more highly of a book after it's been a while after you read it... Because I nowadays have very fond notions of the book :)

Oh no, you didn't say 'bleh' about The Elegance of the Hedgehog! I was referring to the 'bleh' in the post I quoted, where you referred to books in general that one might own and then change their mind about reading. I was saying that that was how I felt about TEotH. Sorry for being confusing.  :blush2: 

:D You really liked the book, didn't you!

Maybe a little. ;) I wouldn't give it 10/10, but it was pretty enjoyable.

Ah, OK. I wondered about the selection because I picked up on the fact that you mentioned a 'bookcase' in Espoo but I remembered the 'trolley' from Joensuu, and I was picturing two very different-sized selections.

The selection is smaller in Joensuu, but not that much smaller. The book trolley holds four 'bookshelves'. The 'bookcase' at the Sello library is tall but it's oddly sectioned, so there isn't that much room in the bookcase. As for the books that I've seen in the Sello library, they have not been as varied and interesting as in Joensuu, but it's only been a while. I'll give the Sello library a chance ;):D 

You Finns must be very honest people for the libraries to set out books to swap and not worry about people just pinching all the books without leaving anything behind. :)

Hehe :) I suppose so. But hey, Australians are honest, too! I remember shopping at a bottle shop and I think I gave the cashier an even sum and she didn't even count the money! I remember mentioning this to you and you said it's not that unusual :) 

Oh no, you didn't say 'bleh' about The Elegance of the Hedgehog! I was referring to the 'bleh' in the post I quoted, where you referred to books in general that one might own and then change their mind about reading. I was saying that that was how I felt about TEotH. Sorry for being confusing.  :blush2:

Oh!  :doh:  Now I got it, I completely misunderstood the first time :D 

Maybe a little. ;) I wouldn't give it 10/10, but it was pretty enjoyable.

Yeah I saw you gave it 4/5 on GR. I wonder why you didn't give it 5/5. It's very readable, isn't it. But it's a bit all over the place, what with chapters constructed in different ways (for example, one being a list of things Lena has actually said to people in a flirtations manner. That one was a weird chapter. Sometimes I can't make up my mind about whether she's in for the shock value or if it's genuinely funny and witty. I'm on the fence!).

Congratulations on 1,000 Frankie, that's amazing! :yes:

I hope that everything goes well now that you're on your own in the flat and have some extra space - lord knows I could do with some extra room for books! Speaking of giving them away, though, I'm starting to think I should do something similar. There's a lot that have been on my shelves now for just too long, and I think it's about time I started shuffling my shelves around in order to read the one's I want to.

Life's too short right? :shrug:

I hope that everything goes well now that you're on your own in the flat and have some extra space - lord knows I could do with some extra room for books! Speaking of giving them away, though, I'm starting to think I should do something similar. There's a lot that have been on my shelves now for just too long, and I think it's about time I started shuffling my shelves around in order to read the one's I want to.

Good luck if you decide to do it :).

Thanks Ben! :)

And I say do it! Going through your books, taking a closer look at what you've got, it'll make you notice which ones you're not that keen on anymore, and it might push forward some books you'd perhaps even forgotten you owned. It's cathartic when done right :D

Life's definitely too short, and the books we wanted to read years ago are not all supposed to interest us anymore: we change with time and our tastes change. And if worse comes to worst, you can always borrow the book you gave away but then wanted to read again from a library. Or buy a used copy. Giving a book away is not the end of the world, is what I've learned throughout the years :)

(Just don't give away any precious copies, with autographs of the authors or books you've been given as presents from very special people :) But you know that :D)

Flatmate didn't come to collect her stuff yesterday, so I gathered all her things and put them in her room and shut the door. Out of sight, out of mind. Today I will go through the fridge, and just mercilessly through away the food that's spoiled. Yesterday I went to the storage unit and got the bookcase, it's in the kitchen now, temporarily. I spent most of yesterday sitting on the couch, admiring the minimalist decor of the place. I tell you, it echoes in the apartment :D

Edited by frankie

Congratulations on 1000 books Frankie! Your mojo is going great guns, and it sounds like life is going really well for you in Espoo too :)

I've not got rid of any books yet, but I am making an effort to read ones I've had on the TBR since before this year. I read one from 2011 last month and it was fantastic, and I'd forgotten all about it, including the synopsis! Our tastes definitely change - been looking at some books I downloaded when I first got my kindle and wondering WHY - but there are some gems too.

I got rid of a few books this year, though there are some that are still in the attic ready to be donated / given away / etc. I've put an "Anticipation Rating" in Book Collector, in which I hope to put a number for each book on my TBR, that will tell me how much I want to read it. 10 means I cannot wait to start it, 1 means I'm not interested in it at all (this would be my boyfriend's technical manuals for planes and tanks :D). I haven't yet filled it in much though :blush2:.

Frankie, did you know that David Mitchell's new book is out? Any chance that a nearby library would have it?

No I did not know!! :o I searched for it at the library's website but they haven't got any copies :( 

I wonder if poppyshake knows! 

Congratulations on 1000 books Frankie! Your mojo is going great guns, and it sounds like life is going really well for you in Espoo too :)

I've not got rid of any books yet, but I am making an effort to read ones I've had on the TBR since before this year. I read one from 2011 last month and it was fantastic, and I'd forgotten all about it, including the synopsis! Our tastes definitely change - been looking at some books I downloaded when I first got my kindle and wondering WHY - but there are some gems too.

Thanks Alexi! I wish I had more time for reading, I wish I didn't have to go out and take part in social gatherings during the weekends. I'd love just to stay at home and read :blush: 

You know, it's really tricky when it comes to getting rid of books that have been on the TBR pile for a while: how does one know that a certain book is something that would've suited one's tastes years ago but not anymore, or that it's one of those gems? Only by reading :( I remember how I was giving away my copy of A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe last year, thinking I'd never get to it. I started reading a random page and was surprised by the content and thought I really want to read this. It took me another year to actually get to it, but I loved it when I read it. It's actually one of my most favorite books I've read this year. 

I wish you good luck with focusing also on the books that have been on your TBR for a longer time. You've already discovered one great gem, and I'm sure you're bound to discover a lot more! :smile2: 

I got rid of a few books this year, though there are some that are still in the attic ready to be donated / given away / etc. I've put an "Anticipation Rating" in Book Collector, in which I hope to put a number for each book on my TBR, that will tell me how much I want to read it. 10 means I cannot wait to start it, 1 means I'm not interested in it at all (this would be my boyfriend's technical manuals for planes and tanks :D). I haven't yet filled it in much though :blush2:.

Is the Book Collector site your personal site or is it for you and your BF? I could never bother with a significant other's technical manuals. My books are my books, his books are his books. Unless I like his books :giggle2: Oh, the imaginary he with books... Sigh :blush: 

56. Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek

From Amazon:

No witnesses.

Twelve-year-old Josy has an inexplicable illness. She vanishes without a trace from her doctor's office during treatment. Four years later, Josy's father, psychiatrist Viktor Larenz, has withdrawn himself to an isolated North Sea island in order to deal with the tragedy.

No body.

Thoughts: I've already given away my copy so I couldn't check the back cover for the blurb, to see how much was revealed in it. So I copied the above ^ from Amazon and left out a few paragraphs, just so that I wouldn't give away too much of the plot.

I've had this book on the bookshelf for years and years and I know I bought it based on some recommendations on here, but when I went through the first pages of my older reading logs, I couldn't find any mention of whose review or recommendation made me acquire a copy.

When I finally got into the novel, on the fourth or fifth try, I liked the way the story started. I've not really studied all the different genres and sub-genres of literature, but I suppose this is a psychological thriller. And a good one! Every time I read a great psychological thriller or a detective or crime novel, I am amazed at how some people come up with these stories. And how they can spin the stories in such a manner that a reader (at least this reader!) doesn't have a clue of what's going on. Yet again I was very much surprised by the ending and 'what up'. It would be very interesting to read the book again, this time knowing the deal up front. 

Recommended. 

4/5

Is the Book Collector site your personal site or is it for you and your BF? I could never bother with a significant other's technical manuals. My books are my books, his books are his books. Unless I like his books :giggle2: Oh, the imaginary he with books... Sigh :blush:

It's a program for on the computer. I had just my books in it at first, but I find it handy to know if we have certain books (I use the app on my phone for that, that's related to the program) and I'm interested in some of his manga, so I added his books. It allows you to set an owner of the books if you want to, so with a few clicks I can make his books disappear from the screen and only look at my own (and my own statistics and such)! I'm not interested in my boyfriend's World War II technical books on WW2 tanks and planes and such. But I am interested in his manga and for example his Terry Pratchett books :).

His books are in his office, mine are in my library and in the living room. Books we jointly buy, that we are both interested in, tend to be with my books, because it seems more important to me than to him :blush2:.

Do you think you'll want to have a partner (with books?) at some point in your life, or are you very happy being on your own (or both)? Sorry if this is prying, you don't have to answer if you don't want to :).

No, I was just sighing for my own amusement :D 

I was away this weekend, I was visiting a friend and her family in Lahti. I was going to spend the train rides reading my book, but on the way there I forgot to take my book from my back pack before I put the bag up in the luggage shelf and couldn't be bothered to get it after I'd sat down, the train being so full of people and not having a lot of room to move about. I also didn't get any reading done at bed time either night, being so tired from all the daily activities. And so I was eagerly waiting for the train ride home, so I could catch up with my reading, but my friend's husband's sister came for a surprise visit and she decided to take the same train back to Helsinki as I did, so I 'had' to socialize with her. She's really nice though, so it was fun. But I'm really, really looking forward to going to bed tonight with my book.  :readingtwo:  I've had social gatherings and meet-ups every weekend for the last three or four weekends, so I'm looking forward to the next weekend when I have no engagements and I can just do whatever, or nothing at all if that's what I feel like. I might just curl up under a blanket and read :smile2: And go to the library to get more books. 

I always take a book with me to read on the train and inevitably end up not reading it or not reading much. It's an ideal place to get some reading done and yet, when I'm actually there I don't feel like reading for some reason.

I always take a book with me to read on the train and inevitably end up not reading it or not reading much. It's an ideal place to get some reading done and yet, when I'm actually there I don't feel like reading for some reason.

I know what you mean. You're spending x minutes sitting in one place and can go nowhere else, so it's an ideal time to catch up on one's reading. But when I used to visit my parents by train, I would never read, I would just look out the window and watch the scenery. Even though it's the same places each and every time :D But the seasons change, the weather changes... There's something about a moving train or a bus that just lulls me into a quietness, to look out the window and let my mind wander. 

I hope you'll get some more reading time in soon, Frankie :).

I always bring a book or my Kindle with me when I'm on a longer train journey, though I don't always get it out and read (it depends how tired I feel).

I'm going to try and get some reading done today :) I also want to visit the library. I've missed it :blush: We did go and visit one of the Lahti libraries but my friend's little fella in his pram was getting too hot in his winter clothes and we couldn't spend a lot of time there. But at least we got to check out the children's section which my friend has never been to.

Re: Kindle. We went to a little Christmas party on Saturday and there were a few single guys there that my friend was hoping for me to get to know. The other one, the one I knew even beforehand that we probably wouldn't mesh, well he and I got to talking about Kindles and he actually said that it's 'teenager-y' to use Kindle. :D How is it 'teenager-y'?? I would've understood if he'd said it was a hipster thing to do (although I wouldn't have agreed with him) but teenager-y... :D He was very much against Kindles. And Spotify. No love lost there :D 

I don't agree either that Kindles are for teenagers.  :no: Maybe he thought that only younger people would be likely to use Kindles because it's relatively 'recent' technology?  :shrug: And perhaps because some older people don't use as much technology as young people?  :shrug:

I'm pleased you're going to finally have some reading/library time. :)