How many pages do the books you normally read have?

Dabrowski

I guess most of my books average around 400 pages, though I rarely check explicitly.

I don't mind thick books at all, but they tend to pose a logistical problem since I take my current book with me where ever I go, and my small backpack can only hold so much.

I wouldn't say thick books are necessary more difficult to read, but the plot can be more complex and obviously there tend to be more characters and facts that need to be remembered, which can be a problem for me. Especially with character names. After a few hundred pages I just forget who this person was and why I should care in the first place.

I wanted to get this book [admin edit: link removed] and it has 1030 pages that is all and it looks a really good book.

Just wondering if it would be more difficult or whether I should push myself to read more than what I do anyways otherwise a book that size you will be there all day.

How long would 1030 pages take the average reader?

Edited by Michelle

On average the amount of pages the books I own have, is about 400. I'm not sure if it's the same for which ones I read. It might take a while to get through, but generally I find it nice when a book has lots of pages, it means there is a lot of story or information in it. I read quite fast myself, not sure how fast the average reader reads, depending on how much time you have each day, it could take a month or longer to get through.

I am not sure what the average page count is for me to be honest, as these days I prefer Kindle where page numbers are somewhat irrelevant. If I had to guess though based on when I did used to buy paper books, I would probably say about the 400 page mark.    

I have read a few of books just under or just under 1000 pages, and in all cases, I was so gripped by the story, the pages flew by, and I didn't even notice how long they were.  As to the time it would take to read, it really depends on the book.  Even looking at short books, reading times vary depending on how the writing flows, how complicated the storyline is, how much dialogue is involved (I find books heavy in dialogue are quicker to read) and even down to the typeface and if it's easy on the eye, how small it is and the spacing of it.

I've read 400 page books in a day, and 400 page books over two weeks, it really does depend on the individual book.

No idea what the average is for me. Possibly around the 400 page mark? I've read books with 1,000+ pages and it's no bother if the story is good. Similarly, I have read 200 page books but struggled through each page because it wasn't to my liking. I guess it's probably more to do with whether the book is the kind you would enjoy, rather than how many pages it has.

I think that a realistic average for me could be 300 pages. 

I do not find more difficult reading a long book. I have read books of 1000 pages and still I was not bored by them and I would have liked to have 1000 pages more to read. On the other hand I cannot reach the end of books of 200 pages if I do not like them.

I think that the more I like a book the longer I would like it to be, because I do not tend to get bored by stories that really catch me and flow on well. :) 

Most of the books I read are 3/500 pages long, and take between 3 and 5 days to read, depending on the writing and how I Feel. 1000 pages would probably be 2 weeks or a totally relaxed readathon.

Edited by dex

You should totally push yourself to read the book. You shouldn't be put off by a large number of pages. It will just take you a little longer is all. Personally, when I read a long book, I have to read a few shorts afterwards to let my brain unwind, if that makes sense. I just finished reading a book with 174 pages. The one before that had 709. I am currently reading a book with 183, and on my TBR list are books with 286 and 557. It varies widely really.

I haven't a clue what the average length of the books I read is, and think the number irrelevant anyway: last week I read a book that was 122 pages long (A Month in the Country), whilst I'm currently reading one that has 700 pages (Scotland, The Story of a Nation).  In both cases, the length is neither here nor there; what does matter is that, in their own individual ways, they are great books to read.  In other words, don't be put off by the length: it's whether it's a good book or not that matters, and you'll only find out if you read it.  If it's no good, don't feel obliged to finish it; if it is good, you'll have over 1000 pages of pleasure!

Edited by willoyd

Tough to answer I guess because they vary with me, I don'd read books by their amount of pages so it's real diverse but i;d guess it'd be maybe 400-500 pages average? Maybe more though but Willoyd stated it pretty well, worry about it's quality, not its quantity.

Most novels I tend to read are in the 350 to 500 page range, but the Game of Thrones books have pushed that up into the 600 to 800 page range.

I have noticed that some of the reading lists on here give page counts, I might start doing the same.

• 3 weeks later...