Books that made you cry

Fiona

I think parts of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King were very sad and moving. There are moments which are truly touching and heart breaking :blush:

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leah same here, I wasn't even a quarter of the way through My Sister's Keeper, and I had already broken down several times. :lol:

I cry in emotional endings, and emotional bleh. When someone dies, when someone breaks up with someone... I cried in LOTS of books though. The most I've cried is at the end of Nicholas Sparks' At First Sight. It was so sad! :blush: Every Nicholas Sparks book ever, apart from True Believer, I cried in them. Time Traveler's Wife, Harry Potter 6 and 7, New Moon, The Boy in Striped Pyjamas..

I can't remember anymore, but prolly more'n that. I will be back! When I remember...

I am a real crier when it comes to books (less so movies, weirdly). The one that stands out lately is Marley and Me. I think I started sobbing halfway through and didn't stop reading or crying till I got to the end of the book.

I remember crying at Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. And I cried at the Bone Garden by Tess Gerritson (I loved this book!).

To be honest though, if I care about the characters, I will have a cry if the emotion is high, especially if there are tragic circumstances.

Right now, I can only think of a few. When I was growing up, I remember reading a true story about a boy who got Aids and died. It was so sad and depressing. Later they made a film of it which also made me cry, but less than the book.

When I was a little girl, I also had a comic about a girl who is an orphan, when she's ill in hospital she overhears nurses talking about a dying child and she thinks they mean her. When she's back in the orphanage, she is very nasty towards other children to make them stop loving her so they won't cry when she dies. After the children dislike her, she discovers when she runs into one of those nurses in town, that they were talking about a different child. In the end all turns out ok

On another thread I said I didn't like The NeverEnding Story but the chapter where the hero's horse dies made me cry - I can't remember what the place is called.
The Swamp of Sorrow (thank the OH for that one, I could only remember the name in Italian). Poor Artax... :D!

The Ill-Made Mute also made me cry. That book is such a vivid and well written book with good balance between landscape and characters.
I'd better prepare the tissues then - it might well be bumped up the TBR if you keep commending it that highly :)

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas..

Is that a good story I am thinking of buying the film. I love that era of the twentieth century - it's encouraging to see people survive such inhumane tortures and to see them get out - some (not all), reunited with their families and smiling.

Schindler's List was a book that definitely made me cry. What makes that particularly heartbreaking is that all what was written in that story was actual fact!

Is that a good story I am thinking of buying the film. I love that era of the twentieth century - it's encouraging to see people survive such inhumane tortures and to see them get out - some (not all), reunited with their families and smiling.

I thought it was quite good! Insanely short though, and the ending quite predictable. Lots of people thought the details were wrong though, stuff about the fence and the holocaust I dunno, I didn't care anyway. You should read it!

Harry Potter makes me cry every time! I can't believe I am admitting this because it was rather sad, but a certain chapter in New Moon does as well :006:

I am lucky! I was warned before I read My Sisters Keeper that it would make me cry and I read the ending at work so I was mentally preparing myself just so I wouldn't cry ;)

I cry every. single. time. I read HP7. It's just so... ;)

You're not the only one, I cried at the end of every HP book since the Goblet of Fire. I always made sure to be at home when getting into the last chapters.

I cried for some unexplainable reason with Spirit Away by Cindy Miles. Ok it was kinda sad at that part of the book but still it was the end of the book there was still a happy ending possible.

Me too. Sirius was a character I could never get to like. Particularly for the way he treated Snape also for the way he treated Kreacher (I loved Kreacher right from the start!)

Seven - I cried like a baby - it's not fair! How could she treat him like that?!?

This is for you writers out there ...

Do you cry when you write a particular scene?

This is for you writers out there ...

Do you cry when you write a particular scene?

I believe that a sad scene that doesn't make me cry is a sad scene badly written. After all, I'm emotionally attached to my characters, for they are my children - what would it say about my offspring if their own mother wasn't able to water their graves with tears? The way I see it, if I am not involved enough to cry, how can I ever hope that my readers will be?

I don't really cry with book and in fact can only think of a few books that have made me cry. The last couple of harry potter ones and Before I Die by Jenny Downham and I had the biggest lump in my throat at the end of Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult.