Books that made you cry

Fiona

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardest I've ever bawled while reading a book was Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Such sadness and it really got to me!

Recently I cried near the end of The Historian, which kind of surprised me. Even while I was talking to my friend about it at work after I finished the book I started to get teary-eyed!

I cried at the start of "The Book Of Lost Things" by John Connolly.

Me too, I was reading it at my bf's and I didn't want him to see and take the wee so it didn't last long, a few tears fell tis all.

Also shed a tear while reading Boudica - manda scott (book 1) when I read about the sexual abuse a young boy was recieving.

I normally try and steer clear of those abuse journal books. I'm too emotional as it is I don't need to be a bubbling mess and If I read too much I would be more of an angry person lol

Hiya. I'm an emotionally retarded bloke, so I don't often cry. I, too, got a bit teary during The Book Thief, at the end of The Historian (incidentally, one of my favourite books ever) but most of all, the time I sobbed quite unashamedly was when

Lee Scoresby dies in The Subtle Knife and his Daemon, Hester,

gets closer and closer to him. Ooh, I get a bit choked even thinking about it, even now...excuse me...:smile2:

oh that bit of the subtle knife is sad! I have only actually cried when reading the last Harry Potter book, and even then it was more teared up, and I was close in Half-Blood Prince

when Dumbledore died, even though I expected it

. I don't cry that easily generally though, unless drunk, I make a very emotional drunk!

Right, well, I'm back now, after doing manly things, like...err...fixed my car...erm...built a wall and...err...hunted for food?:smile2:

oh that bit of the subtle knife is sad! I have only actually cried when reading the last Harry Potter book, and even then it was more teared up, and I was close in Half-Blood Prince

when Dumbledore died, even though I expected it

. I don't cry that easily generally though, unless drunk, I make a very emotional drunk!

It's quite true, however, that I get very emotionally involved with certain books. I'm pretty sure that others have made me weep a little, but I'm being distracted by The Now Show on listen again.

Have you seen the movie based on this novel? Stars Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins. It's a very gentle but passionate portrayal of the human, in this case,english caution in revealing true feelings. "He who hesitates, is lost", springs to mind.

Edited by Kell
Added capitals

I've been known to cry at sad endings, because they depress me, and happy endings, because happiness makes me go all mushy. I am a hugely sensitive person and - given believeable characters who make me root for them - I will well up for their successes and failures. In particular, there's one book I've read a fantastillion times, which has never failed to make me cry once:

"The P

• 3 months later...