Classic Doctor Who

Michelle

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Third Doc - Terror of the Autons was a bit disappointing, I thought they were much better done in Spearhead from Space, and I preferred the actor playing the Master in Logopolis. I then watched Carnival of Monsters, which was great fun, one of my favourites so far. :)

Fifth Doc - Black Guardian Trilogy. I wasn't so keen on Mawdryn Undead, but I really liked Terminus and Enlightenment. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been really enjoying it, as well. :) I watched Caves of Androzani and am sad to say I was a bit disappointed. I wasn't at all keen on Peri as a companion, and I wish the Doctor's previous companions had still been with him when he regenerated. Jek was rather strange and creepy, and for me just didn't 'fit' in Doctor Who. 

I really like Davison's Doctor, so it was sad to see him regenerate. 

• 3 months later...

There was a rumour doing the rounds earlier this year that the Beeb had come into possession of a number of missing Doctor Who episodes from the Hartnell and Troughton years. 

It did the rounds for a number of days with some credible sources saying it was true before the rumours were shot down, but the story didn't completely die and now the BBC themselves have confirmed that later this week BBC Worldwide will be holding a press conference to announce the recovery of a number of missing episodes.  The Doctor Who rumour mill has gone into overdrive with everything from a couple of missing episodes having been found to all 106.  I would be surprised if it is the latter, but I am hoping it is at least a couple of missing Troughton stories as his back catalogue is the one that suffered the most when the BBC had their film/tape purge in the 60s and 70s.

Roll on the end of the week . . .

And the news is, that from the 106 missing episodes, 9 have been recovered! (that might not sound like much, but believe me, this is fantastic news!).

So what have we got?  One complete story (the sinisterly titled The Enemy of the World) and one near complete story (all but one episode of The Web of Fear).  Two of Patrick Troughton's best stories, available now for download on iTunes and to be released on DVD in November and 2014 respectively.   The Web of Fear, for those who may not know/who may be interested features the first appearance of one Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart!

Whilst it is fantastic news that these episodes have been recovered after such a long time, for me the bigger hope here is that there are still more missing episodes out there still waiting to be discovered.

I've watched the entire Aztecs story of classic Doctor Who and a couple episodes of the new one but didn't really get into it. Maybe if I watched a few more I'd understand, but it's just not my thing. 

• 7 months later...

I've had a bit of a break from this, but I still have lots I plan to watch. :)

The Doctor Who magazine has just done a readers poll of their favourite episodes, by decade. I won't list them all, but will give the top 3 for each. I wonder if anyone agrees or disagrees?

60s

1. The War Games

2. The Web of Fear

3. The Power of the Daleks

70s

1. The Genesis of the Daleks

2. City of Death

3. The Talons of Weng-Chang

80s

1. The Caves of Androzani

2. Remembrance of the Daleks

3. Earthshock

2000s

1. Blink

2. The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances

3. Human Nature / The Family of Blood

2010s

1. The Day of the Doctor

2. The Eleventh Hour

3. Vincent and the Doctor

Oh..

Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane Smith

That's amazing that after all these years Tom Baker and Sarah-Jane Smith came out on top, as that's exactly the way I would have voted.

Genesis of The Daleks definitely a yes from me, but I can't much judge the 80's and 2000s as I didn't watch Dr Who during those years.

Of the modern stories I really enjoyed The Girl Who Waited because of both the time travel and human elements. It was well thought out. 

Edited by vodkafan

They do this every few years and the results don't really change that much for the old stuff. 

The big changes this time are Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World scoring high in the 60s, because most people have only recently seen them for the first time, and The Day of the Doctor topping the overall list, but I would just put that down to it being new (good though it was, it's far from being the best story ever).

I'm surprised War Games came first for the 60s though, it's a long ploddy story (Tomb of the Cybermen is much better, imo).

ETA:

Although thinking about it, I think Web of Fear may have always done well as it was one people always thought was good without having seen it.

Edited by Raven

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a pile of classic Who DVDs for Christmas, mainly plugging holes in my collection, and over the last week I've watched Sylvester McCoy's first two stories Time and the Rani and Paradise Towers again, for the first time since they originally aired in the late 80s.  I didn't really know what to expect, except that they would be bad, but I was surprised to find that neither was as bad as I thought they would be.  They have dated badly in places, but also both of them have their moments.  Melanie/Bonnie Langford is incredibly irritating though; all she does is scream.  A lot.  It's largely not her fault, but you can see why the character was written out so quickly.  Dragonfire is up next - Ace!