Classic Doctor Who

Michelle

Ah.. well that wouldn't be too bad then, they just have to wait!  :lurker: For me, it's pretty perfect - I want to see each Doctor's regeneration, and some of the titles are on my existing list, so to have them accompanied by a nice book is ideal. 

I've been watching Planet of the Spiders already, mind you, and am finding it too dated, it's quite laughable really.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah.. well that wouldn't be too bad then, they just have to wait!  :lurker: For me, it's pretty perfect - I want to see each Doctor's regeneration, and some of the titles are on my existing list, so to have them accompanied by a nice book is ideal. 

I've been watching Planet of the Spiders already, mind you, and am finding it too dated, it's quite laughable really.

Those spiders terrified me as a kid!

So glad you liked Genesis Of The Daleks Michelle- this one left an indelible impression on me as a  kid and is the best Dalek story to me.

Other must haves are The Ark In Space, The Green Death and The Face Of Evil. All great stories.

I watched it earlier this year and Planet of the Spiders did make me laugh quite a bit, especially the Spider council. 

That's part of the charm of old Doctor Who for me though; the stories usually still stand up, but you can also get great enjoyment from laughing at the effects/sets/acting (good though they probably were at the time).  Highlights for me include a spectacularly funny sound effect in The Robots of Death when Leela throws a knife at one of the robots and the Loch Ness Monster in Terror of the Zygons (to be release on DVD this September).  The less said about the giant green phallus (no, really) which mysteriously changes shape to something less, err ... suggestive ... between episodes one and two of The Creature From the Pit the better!

Sets and effects I expect to be 'bad', and I enjoyed it more once they were on Metebelis III. The part I found more difficult was earlier on, with the earthbound stuff. Lupton didn't work as a baddie, and driving and flying around in hover cars etc just looked silly. I understand most of Pertwee's era was based on Earth, so I don't think it'll be for me.

I've found that classic series DVDs we have already are:

Earthshock
The Caves of Androzani
The Robots of Death

After I mentioned it to my other half, he's keen to watch them too (not surprising as he was the one I bought them for in the first place, and he was a big fan when he was a kid), so we've been having a look at which ones are available on iTunes as well, so there's a few others we'll look at getting at some point in the future.  I will, however, not be watching any third Doctor stories, as I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere, but I can't watch Jon Pertwee as I'm still traumatised by Worzel Gummidge all these years later, and can't watch him without coming out in a cold sweat and feeling a bit queasy! :lol::roll:

Anyway, when you come to watch any of these, let me know, and we'll try and watch them too. :)

Earthshock has been recommended a few times, but I'm probably leaving it for a while, on Raven's advice. Apparently something important happens, and it's worth watching some others before. The Caves of Androzani has brought out mixed views from fans. Robots of Death is in my long Tom Baker list. 

I've said for a long time that I wanted to watch a few old episodes, to get an idea of the older Doctors, but as soon as I started researching it, I realised there were lots I wanted to see. If I had the time and money, I'd simply start at the beginning and work my way through, but I've had to go with a) recommendations b) important characters or stories and c) a story which looks interesting. :) 

Claire, I've managed to watch Pertwee without seeing Worzel, but I also won't be watching many of his, as many are earth-bound, which doesn't interest me so much.

I'm not sure where to go next - I have a few DVDs waiting, but if the TV is being used by everyone else, I need to find something on You Tube or Netflix. 

I've watched a Dalek story with the 5th, and he's very laid back. The Awakening looks quite good, do let me know what you think, and I may add it to my list. (And if the Grand Prix proves a boring one, I may watch it myself :)

I enjoyed it!  It's an Earth based story, but I liked the mix of modern and historical with the extraterrestrial.  It was a bit strange, as one of the memories I have of Doctor Who as a child was the fifth Doctor in a village location going back and forth through a lychgate, and this story had that in abundance, so it may well be one of the ones I watched as a child and have just forgotten the story.

I liked that it was only two episodes, as it kept the story tight, and it actually made me think it would have fitted well into the RTD Who series, although the Doctor was a little bit too serious for me - could have done with a bit more humour, or is that just a new Who trait? Anyway, a thumbs up from me.  :D

Edited by chesilbeach

Earthshock (to get the most out of this, it might help to see some earlier Davison and latter Baker stories, as something rather pivotal happens in this story). 

I'm just watching The Ark in Space, and I'm very keen to get to The Keeper of Traken/Logopolis/Castrovalva, and then Earthshock. Is there anything else you think I should see before Earthshock?

I've kept my Gallifrey Base thread updated, and have gotten some interesting feedback and extra information. My little mini reviews may contain spoilers if you don't want to know anything before watching. If you're interested, and want to read the thread, it's here: http://gallifreybase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167503

As a summary, I have surprised myself by really liking the 3rd Doctor, and at this point would happily watch all of his episodes. I've seen 2 of the 2nd Doctors, The Mind Robber was set in 'the land of fiction', was rather surreal and I liked that one. The Krotons I wasn't so keen on. I'm leaving that era for now.

Amy and I are watching The Ark in Space, and I've watched one of the 4th Doctor's Dalek episodes - I think I'd be quite happy to see some more.

All in all, I'm really enjoying this experience, and am glad I finally got around to it. (I just need a lot more time, and money!!)

^ You have to be a member of Gallifrey Base to read their threads (I am, I have, and I can't believe you said that - have you no shame?).

The Mind Robber isn't a very good story, Tomb of the Cybermen is a very good however and you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch it.  Tomorrow.  Or later in the week.  Or next month.  But do watch it. One day.

I actually liked The Mind Robber, it was The Krotons didn't really like. Tomb of the Cybermen is still on my list, and I will come back to it at some point - I shall probably watch a few different Cybermen stories together.

Do you mean I have no shame by mentioning GB? :) Do you post on there - have you already spoken to me in an alternative identity? ;)

My point was, if you liked The Mind Robber you should love Tomb of the Cybermen because it is orders of magnitude better!

I'm Raven on GB as well, if that saves [some] confusion.

As for post 37, it would help if you've watched Kinda before Earthshock, as it will help to depend your appreciation of the latter.

Tom Baker - I rather enjoyed The Ark in Space, but some reason I wasn't keen on Pyramids of Mars, despite being told it's a favourite of many. I'm now on the trilogy I've been looking forward to for some reason. The Keeper of Traken was pretty good, but I'm loving Logopolis - I love the confusion of the different Tardis's, the humour of landing on a boat instead of in the Thames, the strange figure in white, the mention of the cloister bell, chameleon arc etc :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that classic series DVDs we have already are:

Earthshock
The Caves of Androzani
The Robots of Death

After I mentioned it to my other half, he's keen to watch them too (not surprising as he was the one I bought them for in the first place, and he was a big fan when he was a kid), so we've been having a look at which ones are available on iTunes as well, so there's a few others we'll look at getting at some point in the future.  I will, however, not be watching any third Doctor stories, as I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere, but I can't watch Jon Pertwee as I'm still traumatised by Worzel Gummidge all these years later, and can't watch him without coming out in a cold sweat and feeling a bit queasy! :lol::roll:

Anyway, when you come to watch any of these, let me know, and we'll try and watch them too. :)

I watched Earthshock the other day, and forgot you had it on your list. :( It wasn't the most enjoyable, but Tegan is good, and the ending is also good.

As for Pertwee, that's a shame if you can't watch, coz he's my 2nd favourite (classic) Doctor so far.

Also, if you think Leslie Grantham in Who is amusing, wait 'til you see Martin Clunes in Snakedance.

OMG - I watched that one over the past 2 nights - he's actually quite good as the character, but it's SO funny to watch, especially his costumes!  :giggle:

I really like Earthshock, it's from the time when I really started to get into Doctor Who.

Hell, even Beryl Reid is good! (she didn't have a clue what she was doing most of the time, but that all adds to the fun!).

When it first aired the production team went to great lengths to keep the fact that the Cybermen were in it a secret - even to the point of cancelling a planned Radio Times cover - so it was a big surprise when they appeared at the end of the first episode. 

The ending is also the icing on the cake, because I really didn't like Adric at the time!

Did they keep the Adric thing a secret? I actually didn't mind Adric, he's a know-it-all, but not arrogant.

I seem to have opposing views to many, as from what i've seen so far, I don't really like Tom Baker that much.

I don't think it was a secret, I have a vague idea it was in the newspapers the morning before the episode aired (but I was 10 at the time so I might be miss-remembering).

Which Tom Baker stories have you seen so far?