Classic Doctor Who

Michelle

Despite a vague recollection of Doctor Who being on when I was young, I've only become a fan since New-Who. I recently decided I wanted to see the first few episodes, and so bought The Beginning. I loved the very 1st episode, found the next few episodes ok, and am looking forward to watching the first Dalek story.

I've now decided to give myself a taster of some more earlier episodes. I read part of a thread over at Gallifrey Base, and got some recommendations, then took a look at them on Amazon.

Edited: This is my up to date list, so I don't need to keep scrolling down!

First Doctor:
An Unearthly Child
The Daleks - part watched
The Edge of Destruction

Dalek Invasion of Earth - Daleks in London
The War Machines - early story of computers taking over
The Tenth Planet [on Regen box set] - bought

Second Doctor:
Tomb of the Cybermen - bought
The Mind Robber - land of fiction
The Krotons
The Invasion - Cybermen in London
The War Games [on Regen box set] - bought

Third Doctor:
Spearhead From Space - 1st
The Sulurians - bought
Inferno
Terror of the Autons
Day of the Daleks - bought
Curse of Peladon
The Sea Devils - bought
The Three Doctors - bought
Carnival of Monsters
Frontier in Space
Planet of the Daleks

The Green Death
The Time Warrior 
Death to the Daleks
Planet of The Spiders [on Regen box set]

Fourth Doctor:
The Ark in Space
Genesis of the Daleks
Planet of Evil - bought
Pyramids of Mars
The Deadly Assassin - Master - itunes
The Face of Evil
The Robots of Death
The Talons of Weng-Chiang - bought
The Invisible Enemy
The Key to Time series - bought - 1st Romana - started
The City of Death - bought
The E-Space Trilogy * - last Romana and K9
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis [on Regen box set]

Fifth Doctor:
Castrovalva
Four to Doomsday 
The Visitation - itunes
Black Orchid 
Time Flight - itunes
Arc of Infinity - itunes

Kinda
Earthshock
The Five Doctors - bought
Snakedance
The Black Guardian Trilogy
The King's Demons *
Warriors of the Deep - bought
The Awakening 
Frontios - itunes
Resurrection of the Daleks
Planet of Fire 
The Caves of Androzani [on Regen box set] 

Sixth Doctor:
Vengeance on Varos
The Mark of Rani - Master and Rani - itunes
Revelation of the Daleks - Davros back
The Trial of a Timelord series

Seventh Doctor:

Time and the Rani [on Regen box set] - bought
Remembrance of the Daleks [on Netflix] Dalek factions
The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
Ghost Light - itunes
The Curse of Fenric - bought
Survival

Eighth Doctor:
Doctor Who - The Movie - on Netflix [on Regen box set] - bought

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the stories I would recommend. 

It obviously helps if you see them in transmission order, but for the most part you don't need to have seen previous stories to make sense of them.

Hartnell

The Dalek Invasion of the Earth

The Aztecs

Troughton

Tomb of the Cybermen

Invasion

Pertwee

Spearhead From Space (watch this Pertwee story first as it sets up the back story for the next two series).

Inferno

The Three Doctors

The Green Death

Planet of the Spiders

Baker (Tom)

The Ark in Space

Genesis of the Daleks

The Hand of Fear

The Deadly Assassin

The Robots of Death

The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Horror of Fang Rock

City of Death

Davison

Castrovalva

The Visitation

Earthshock (to get the most out of this, it might help to see some earlier Davison and latter Baker stories, as something rather pivotal happens in this story). 

Ressurection of the Daleks

The Caves of Androzani

Baker (Colin)

Vengeance on Varos

The Mark of the Rani

McCoy

Remembrance of the Daleks

The Curse of Fenric

Ghost Light

---------

There are a load more stories that are very good, especially from the Pertwee and Tom Baker years, but the above are good ones to start with.  I can't really recommend the Paul McGann movie, but it is his only story and he was quite good in it - even if the story is very poor . . .

Edited by Raven

I would definitely recommend The Hand of Fear - we watched it not long ago, and although I'm not a big fan of classic Who, I thought it was pretty good. Although I think The Talons of Wang-Chieng is a good story, ventriloquist dummies freak me out, so it was a "watch behind the cushion" story for me!

Thanks to Raven, I've now added:

Dalek Invasion of Earth

The Invasion

Inferno

Planet of The Spiders

The Ark in Space

The Hand of Fear

The Deadly Assassin

The Keeper of Traken / Logopolis / Casttrovalva

Resurection of the Daleks

Vengeance on Varos

The Mark of Rani

Remembrance of the Daleks

Ghost Light

These are all on an Amazon wish-list, which means I can buy one or two when I feel like it. I think I'll be inclined to buy them as they appeal to me, rather than in order - are there any which HAVE to be in a certain order?

Having to watch things in order is something that only really came in with the new series, with the exception of two series in old Who; The Key to Time series (Tom Baker) and the Trial of a Tiimelord series (Colin Baker). 

Apart from that there is little you need to watch in order, though it does help if you watch The Keeper of Traken / Logopolis / Casttrovalva in order!

I'll probably pop into this thread and report on what I watch. I'm also hoping a few others have seen some and will join in. :)

We've just been watching some of the first Dalek story, and I couldn't help noticing how chatty they were! Its also interesting that they haven't actually changed that much from the basic design. I also think The Doctor is rather frail - he gets out of breath easily and is most affected by the radiation. It's no wonder he got younger with each regeneration!

Netflix has confused me - I thought I was going in order, but it appears not! I'm watching Resurrection of the Daleks ('84), then will go back to Genesis of The Daleks ('75). I love the way this is very 80's, and very 'spacy', with laser fights in starship corridors etc. Davros is brill, much more excitable than in the newer series. Peter Davison seems to be a rather calm Doctor. It's also quite amusing to see Leslie Grantham!

Having to watch things in order is something that only really came in with the new series, with the exception of two series in old Who; The Key to Time series (Tom Baker) and the Trial of a Tiimelord series (Colin Baker). 

Would you recommend those two?

The Key to Time is good, but very long.  I'd suggest leaving Trial of a Timelord until you've got some of the others under your belt (it's not the best Who out there!).

Also, if you think Leslie Grantham in Who is amusing, wait 'til you see Martin Clunes in Snakedance.

Thanks again Raven.

I started a thread over at Gallifrey Base, to keep a record of what I'd bought, watched, my thoughts etc. It now appears that I can't edit a post after a couple of hours, so I can't update my list. So, I'm going to add it here, so I can keep track. I won't post much more in here though, as it doesn't seem to be generating much interest - apart from Raven. ;)

So, next post will be my list, so I can keep coming back and updating it. :)

I think the war setting put me off, whilst the Greatest Show looked like it could be creepy!

I'm hoping to start off with one or two for each Doctor - my list for each will then increase or decrease depending on how much I enjoy them. :) I've already noticed I seem to be attracted towards the Fourth - I'm going to start with the 1st few, then see where I go from there.

I've added one or two - I've been convinced to add The Curse of Fenric, plus a few others. However, if I don't particularly enjoy a Doctor or companion, their further adventures may disappear from my list! ;)  I've almost done with Genesis of the Daleks, and am really enjoying it - I definitely prefer this era to the 80's era of Revelation of the Daleks, so will probably watch quite a few of these. 

This http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Regeneration-William-Hartnell/dp/B00BWU1ESO/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp is coming out in June, and I think it'll be a must-buy. It covers some of the stories on my list, and the accompanying book should be interesting. :)

Disc 1: The Tenth Planet / The War Games (Parts 1-5) | Final episode of William Hartnell
Disc 2: The War Games (Parts 6-10) | Final episode of Patrick Troughton
Disc 3: Planet of the Spiders | Final episode of Jon Pertwee
Disc 4: Logopolis / The Caves of Androzani | Final episodes of Tom Baker and Peter Davison
Disc 5: Time and the Rani / The Movie | First and Final episodes of Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann
Disc 6: Bad Wolf - The Parting of the Ways / The End of Time | Final episodes of Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant