What's up in April?

Kell

Had a good night last night with the girls. We went to a pub/restaurant called Bistro Pierre, or something like that. Had a jug of Pimms, which I thought tasted alright. And then had a jug of Bridgette Bardeux (sp?) and I hated that one. It tasted too much like cucumber which I hate. I wouldn't choose to have either of them but if Pimms was put before me I could just about manage it. So instead of the second one, I got a glass of vodka and coke. They were asking me what vodka I wanted as I was like any! Haha. I didn't know the difference between Grey Goose and whatever else there was.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eleonora, sorry about your friend.  It's tough to lose someone like that, but at least they are still healthy, and will probably come back as soon as they are able.  Something to look forward to, right? :) I don't know why you couldn't see him then....

Two quiet days here, staying in, surfing the forums, reading, eating, just lazing about.  We sat outside this morning for a couple of hours,  till it was too sunny and talked and drank coffee and tea, enjoyed the pines. 

It is nice to take it easy once in a while and do nothing but "laze" around. I take it that neither of you are into gardening...flowers or vegetables.

We are enjoying spinach salads with spinach fresh from our garden and also spring onions (I eat about a dozen a day) and radishes. We bought 2 more Coral Bell plants yesterday (have 12 already in beds around the house). We also bought some Cosmos plants, basil, pepper plants, and zinnia plants. I will plant them early next week as it is going to rain today and tomorrow.

risingdawn - vodka and coke sounds like a horrible combination. Rum and coke is good as is vodka and orange juice.

Edited by muggle not

I spent the weekend buying lots of plants for my empty pots. I needed to get some pretty flowers (geraniums, petunias, and other lovely flowering plants). Plus I bought some bio herbs that I planted into a huge planter. Mint, parsley and thyme. I need to find a basil plant first to finish it up. I already have rosemary in the garden-taking over a huge area.

I trimmed up my hybiscus bush and tried to kill a few more weeds trying to take over my garden. Then I spent a couple of hours just relaxing in the sun with my i-pod (an audio book). Glorious sun....although the wind was too chilly still. I enjoyed the sounds of the neighborhood children (finally) playing their outdoor games. Tomorrow they say rain, so I've glad I was able to get so much done already.

It won't be so easy, seeing each others I mean, because there will be 900 km between us and italian situation is tragic right now: I could reach him by plane or with a 2 days travel by ferry.. but the costs are definitely too high, I couldn't afford them even if I had a job. We'll phone and keep in touch, obviously. In the mean time I hope this economic crisis will finish: last year 146.000 firms closed in Italy, 40% of the population is unemployed and governement has no money for doles or unemployment compensations. Something has to change or this crisis will kill Italy. We can't simply go on like this.. things can only be better.

Well, I actually meant whenever he is able to return to Italy. 

I hope things straighten out in your country, soon.

It is nice to take it easy once in a while and do nothing but "laze" around. I take it that neither of you are into gardening...flowers or vegetables.

We are enjoying spinach salads with spinach fresh from our garden and also spring onions (I eat about a dozen a day) and radishes. We bought 2 more Coral Bell plants yesterday (have 12 already in beds around the house). We also bought some Cosmos plants, basil, pepper plants, and zinnia plants. I will plant them early next week as it is going to rain today and tomorrow.

risingdawn - vodka and coke sounds like a horrible combination. Rum and coke is good as is vodka and orange juice.

No, neither of us are into gardening.  I used to keep loads of potted plants, and had hanging plants all over the house, but finally between one of the dogs I had at the time, and one of our cats, that's a no-go.  As far as growing in the garden.......the earth is so darned hard around here, it's impossible for me to dig.  That blasted red earth isn't that good for much.

When my Aunt and I first moved up here from south of the lake (where one only had to drop a seed in the beautiful, black dirt for it to flourish) we actually trucked in a couple of loads of "good dirt" and had a guy come in with a huge machine, a disk-er,  I believe it was called.  We planted lettuce, broccoli, corn and green beans, oh, and sunflowers. :)  That only lasted a few years.  Neither she, nor I had the strength to keep it up.  She has passed now, and I just don't have the interest.

I will say, that was the best corn, broccoli, lettuce and green beans I've ever eaten though!

Re vodka and coke.....ewwwww.  vodka and 7up (or any lemon-lime drink), vodka and oj, vodka and tonic, or simply on the rocks....good.  :) 

Oh, and risingdawn.....Tito's is the best vodka, (imo) Stolichnaya is next best. :)  I've tasted others, and, no thanks. lol

I don't think I could stomach rum. Vodka and coke is actually quite nice. Most of the time you can't taste the vodka and it still tastes like coke. It's only when you put quite a bit of vodka in that you can taste it.

Re vodka and coke.....ewwwww.  vodka and 7up (or any lemon-lime drink), vodka and oj, vodka and tonic, or simply on the rocks....good.  :)

Oh, and risingdawn.....Tito's is the best vodka, (imo) Stolichnaya is next best. :)  I've tasted others, and, no thanks. lol

I don't get why people don't like vodka and coke. :lol: And I've never heard of Tito's xD or Stolichnaya. I tend to always have Smirnoff. Never really tried any others unless you count the cheapy one's that the supermarkets do. :P

LOL risingdawn...as my Aunt used to say...to each their own kettle of fish! :)

One man's ewwwww, is another's yum.

The two vodkas I mentioned are from the supermarket here.  Nothing exotic. :)

My husband is from New York, and they don't sell liquor in the regular grocery stores, only Liquor Stores.  Down here, around New Orleans, every supermarket, grocery store sell all kinds of liquor.  Some more brands than others. 

Supermarkets around my neck of the woods don't really sell alcohol either.  You have to go to a liquor store or an upscale market to get it.  Are liquor stores allowed to be open on Sundays in LA, Pontalba?  They aren't up here.

I had a busy weekend so would have loved one more day to just relax!  I went out for breakfast on Saturday with my mom and then I picked up a shiny new grill for the patio.  I also went out for dinner that night to celebrate my friend's birthday and then I went to CB2 and spent my birthday gift certificate on more stuff for outdoor entertaining.  Yesterday I put up some shelves in the garage and got all the pots and boxes ready for flowers.  It's a bit too early up here to plant so we're going to wait a couple more weeks.  I would LOVE to have a proper vegetable garden again.  We had one as a family when I was growing up and there's nothing like growing your own food :D.

I hope everyone has a great week!

LOL risingdawn...as my Aunt used to say...to each their own kettle of fish! :)

One man's ewwwww, is another's yum.

The two vodkas I mentioned are from the supermarket here.  Nothing exotic. :)

My husband is from New York, and they don't sell liquor in the regular grocery stores, only Liquor Stores.  Down here, around New Orleans, every supermarket, grocery store sell all kinds of liquor.  Some more brands than others. 

Yes that's true haha. But considering it's the drink lots of teenagers drink round here. xD We don't really have off licences (specially sells alcohol) that much in the UK. Or if we do I never see them.

What are off licences?  Pubs that sell bottled liquor?

Just to explain it a bit more ... pubs, bars and restaurants are "licensed premises" in that they are licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. Off licenses were traditionally the shops which were licensed to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises, but as the supermarkets have changed over the years, they've become bulk buyers of alcohol, and along with their ever extending opening hours, most off licenses can no longer compete, hence the disappearance from UK towns. When I was a kid, my parents would most commonly have gone to the "offie" when friends or family came to visit on a weekend and stayed for the evening, so Dad would have popped out for a few beers and a bottle of sherry or port and some soft drinks for us kids, as my parents never really kept alcohol in the house.

Off licences are shops that sell all sorta of alcoholic beverages, for example, wine, beer, spirits along with soft drinks and maybe snacks too..

Just to explain it a bit more ... pubs, bars and restaurants are "licensed premises" in that they are licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. Off licenses were traditionally the shops which were licensed to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises, but as the supermarkets have changed over the years, they've become bulk buyers of alcohol, and along with their ever extending opening hours, most off licenses can no longer compete, hence the disappearance from UK towns. When I was a kid, my parents would most commonly have gone to the "offie" when friends or family came to visit on a weekend and stayed for the evening, so Dad would have popped out for a few beers and a bottle of sherry or port and some soft drinks for us kids, as my parents never really kept alcohol in the house.

Thanks, both of you. :)  They sound like what we simply call 'liquor stores'.  Not sure if ours sell snacks or not, I've never been in one, as the grocery stores here all sell all liquor. 

Well, I have been in one...not sure how local it is though, Martin's Wine Cellar.  They specialize in all sorts of wine, although they do sell a certain amount of plain liquor.  And snacky stuff, like pates, etc.

Just had a lovely weekend (extended) with festivities and bar-b-que. The weather was sunny (well...half way anyway) but the wind was darned cold. I really do want some normal May weather. Under our veranda it was a nice 25 degrees celcius, but out in the wind it was closer to 16 degrees celcius. We went to a swap meet this weekend and I was able to pick up 4 books to add to my collection. I'm very happy.

I've been busy the past while. One of the things I did was going to the book fair (it was awesome. I bought many books)! I've also been to the cinema, to see Iron Man 3. My brother found a free bag of M&Ms just sitting there, so we enjoyed that.

Last Tuesday here it was Queen's / King's Day. We have a king now! I don't know how many of you have heard about it. It was quite a big event. I went out to the Vrijmarkt, traditionally everyone is allowed to sell their old stuff on Queen's Day (from next year on to be King's Day, as long as we have a King). I hadn't been to one in many years so we thought it'd be nice to go there. I bought a few books XD.

We've been spending some time outside, when the weather was nice, working in the garden.

At school right now, just got there from the dentist. Almost been an hour and my mouth is still numb. Had fillings done :(

Sympathies!!

Ahh, yes, the dentist.  Know him well.  :icon_eek:  I'll be seeing him later today. /sigh/ 

I've been busy the past while. One of the things I did was going to the book fair (it was awesome. I bought many books)! I've also been to the cinema, to see Iron Man 3. My brother found a free bag of M&Ms just sitting there, so we enjoyed that.

Last Tuesday here it was Queen's / King's Day. We have a king now! I don't know how many of you have heard about it. It was quite a big event. I went out to the Vrijmarkt, traditionally everyone is allowed to sell their old stuff on Queen's Day (from next year on to be King's Day, as long as we have a King). I hadn't been to one in many years so we thought it'd be nice to go there. I bought a few books XD.

We've been spending some time outside, when the weather was nice, working in the garden.

Yes, as a matter of fact I saw the articles about the abdication.  Some are wondering if Queen Elizabeth will consider the same now.  Hah, doesn't seem likely, but wdik.

Book fairs are wonderful. :)  We have one coming up around the middle of May. 

Sympathies!!

Ahh, yes, the dentist.  Know him well.  :icon_eek:  I'll be seeing him later today. /sigh/ 

Ah, what are you having done?

Feels a bit weird having new fillings in as they're all rough. A good few cleans with the toothbrush and they'll be smooth! :D

I am looking forward to a three day weekend, especially given the weather forecast. Tomorrow is food shopping day, followed by reading somewhere suitably warm and sunny, and Saturday will be a trip to Guildford to stock up on Lush goodies. Sunday will no doubt be a nice long walk somewhere else suitably warm and sunny. :smile: I don't mind having to work on Monday, as the weather is set to change by then, and I get double time.   

Decided to bake an apricot loaf cake when I got home, so that's in the oven smelling delicious as I write. :smile2: Will hopefully see us through into the middle of next week.

Looking forward to the bank holiday weekend, and hoping for plenty of reading time.  :readingtwo:  

Parent's evening today. Always a bit tiring. Only had to do an extra 45 mins though which isn't so bad. Glad to get home and have a cuppa.

Me and the boyfriend have started looking at houses so booked an appointment to go and see a new development over the weekend. Bit scary but exciting.

Ah, what are you having done?

Feels a bit weird having new fillings in as they're all rough. A good few cleans with the toothbrush and they'll be smooth! :D

Having a permanent cap put in a tooth that had a root canal two weeks ago. 

It does feel strange!

Have to go back sometime and get a few fillings.