What's Up in March?

risingdawn

@Talisman

Good luck, it sounds like you're going through a tough time.

@Noll

I agree with you, I don't like such a drinking culture either (I'm not Irish, but still). Wise to stay indoors!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it gets all sorted for you soon Pontalba. As much as it's criminal, it's the inconvenience to the victim with al the hassle required to sort it all out. Gggrrr!

The bank is sending my new credit card, should receive it this week.  The irritating thing is that I have 2 back orders through Amazon that have been delayed on account of this bugger.  grrr   Oh well, it'll all come in time. :)

No, it's not Dover (I don't live anywhere near there) but part of the Box Hill National Trust estate near where I live. They call it the White Cliff even though it's not near the sea, as it's a very steep wooded area, made of chalk. The box trees, from where Box Hill takes its name grow along its slopes. It's basically the path that climbs up the hill from the main road at the bottom of the hill - those who saw the Olympic Cycling Races on TV last summer will have probably seen parts of it. It's not really a long walk, but it is quite steep for those of less than average fitness, and a good place to sit and watch the world go by when the sun's out - sadly it isn't today, so I think most of my reading will be done on the settee !    

Oh, now I remember your speaking of the Olympic Races last year!  Sounds delightful.

Uh, customer service. :)

Good luck to him.  Customer service can be a tough business.  Of course anything to do with placating the public can be difficult.

Not a good weekend for me - I have been the only housekeeper on duty all weekend (normal here unfortunately as well as in my old job, not that they told me this at the interview), expected to clean 55 rooms plus another 15 bathrooms. Today I found one bathroom floor flooded, which no one bothered to tell me about, plus one sink blocked up and then I found that a resident had used his rubbish bin as a toilet. If that wasn't all bad enough, I then discovered that they have changed the date of some training we all have to do from April to next week, without bothering to ask if I can do the overtime or even let me know. I am tempted to tell them I have made plans and can't do it. Not surprisingly I have a pounding headache and ache all over. If every weekend is going to be like this I will have to think very carefully as to whether I want to work Monday to Friday like everyone else seems to.   

Of course they didn't tell you, they wanted to hire you and not scare you off.  If you don't do the training bit when they've changed it to, will you be able to pick it up another time?  I guess it comes down to how much it will actually inconvenience you.  Pox on them, do what is best for you.  Taking into consideration any back lash from management that could come your way.  :mad:

It's Paddy's Day today. Aka "National Irish Alcoholism Day". Or, if you're anything BUT Irish, "Patty's Day", the use of which is almost enough to drive the Irish to not drink. The same people who call it Patty's are the first people to mention leprechauns and the fact that they are Irish. They're not. They do get one thing right though, they also drink themselves silly.

In case you can't tell, I hate the Irish drinking culture and am generally ashamed of how the Irish, and the Irish-"celebrating" world conducts itself on this day.

I'm staying indoors.

Oh, yeah, the parades are here too.  At least down in New Orleans.  There is an uptown section called The Irish Channel.  Lots of green beer is being consumed, and cabbages thrown at the parade.  :rolleyes:  I'm not Irish, but I really hate the so called reputation that is given...it doesn't seem fair to me to brand every person of any background like that.

We've stayed in today as well, although it is mostly from being tired from day trips two days in a row. :)

It's raining.  :exc: The first rain we've had since the beginning of December.  It's still hot, though, so it's really muggy.  And it's not enough to break the drought.

On other, bigger news, my mum got married on Saturday.  It's great to see her happy finally.  She left her abusive partner of 30 years last year.  She married an old boyfriend she met up with again a few months ago. 

Good luck to him.  Customer service can be a tough business.  Of course anything to do with placating the public can be difficult.

Yeah. He's worked in customer service for a few years now but obviously with the job market the way it is he couldn't be picky. He's got great people skills and everything so he has no issues on that front. I've been helping him with his questions etc as I have had to do some stuff on legislation etc when doing my BTEC Business course.

In other news, just went to get my glasses adjusted as they kept slipping. Turns out my bridge is too narrow and so he tightened the glasses a bit and put some sticky things on the part that sticks on your nose so that it will sit properly.

Yean, good on Macy's!

Macy's customer service has really gotten better

(I work for them)

Oh, and since Spring is literally a couple days away, naturally we are getting yet MORE snow tonight.....4-6 inches....lucky us.

Edited by Sofia

Of course they didn't tell you, they wanted to hire you and not scare you off.  If you don't do the training bit when they've changed it to, will you be able to pick it up another time?  I guess it comes down to how much it will actually inconvenience you.  Pox on them, do what is best for you.  Taking into consideration any back lash from management that could come your way.  :mad:

That's fair enough until you consider that I specifically asked whether I would be expected to work on my own at the weekends, and I was told no. The reason I asked that was because it was like that in my previous job, and I knew how stressful that was and didn't want a repeat performance. Bear in mind the fact that this new home has more than twice the number of rooms. On the weekends, we have just 5 minutes to clean each of them which is not enough - hence the fact that many families complain that their relatives rooms are not done properly. Having said all of this, this last weekend was particularly difficult because of all the other issues with the flooded floor etc - not every weekend (I hope) will be like that. They still imo though need to get more cover.

As for the training, it will only mean finishing half an hour later than normal, so its not really that big a deal. It was the principle of not having been asked, especially after everything else that happened. It's mandatory training for all who work in the care industry, so I would have to do it as some point.

Today was thankfully a better and much more relaxed day.  :smile:

Edited by Talisman

Someone stole my credit card number, and charged a couple of large charges to it.  I caught it last night and phoned the CC company and they blocked my card.  Went to the bank today and signed the papers for dispute of those charges.  Now I have to wait for a new number and card to come in the mail.  grrrrrrr! 

Funny the way I caught it though.  Macy's sent me an email thanking me for shopping with them.  :icon_eek:  Macy's had my email address because I'd ordered something from them in February.  Anyhow, as soon as I received the thank you for the purchase I'd NOT MADE,  :motz:  I went on the bank website and saw the fraudulant charges. more grrrrrrr!  :Tantrum:

So sorry to hear this. It's not that you've lost money but the thought that someone did it to you deliberately. I find it really upsetting when things like that happen. It's like when my mobile phone was stolen and they charged loads of money to my account :( The spite of it was almost worse than the money tbh.

Not a good weekend for me - I have been the only housekeeper on duty all weekend (normal here unfortunately as well as in my old job, not that they told me this at the interview), expected to clean 55 rooms plus another 15 bathrooms. Today I found one bathroom floor flooded, which no one bothered to tell me about, plus one sink blocked up and then I found that a resident had used his rubbish bin as a toilet. If that wasn't all bad enough, I then discovered that they have changed the date of some training we all have to do from April to next week, without bothering to ask if I can do the overtime or even let me know. I am tempted to tell them I have made plans and can't do it. Not surprisingly I have a pounding headache and ache all over. If every weekend is going to be like this I will have to think very carefully as to whether I want to work Monday to Friday like everyone else seems to.   

Ugh - how horrid June. That sounds so stressful. Hopefully it was just a one-off bad weekend.

That`s dreadful talisman. My wife works in a nursing home, they get no housekeeper in at all Sat or Sun..same at the psychi hospital I work at..cue bins full to the brim, etc. You know, we all seem to work ourselves silly for peanuts.... :blush2:

It's Paddy's Day today. Aka "National Irish Alcoholism Day". Or, if you're anything BUT Irish, "Patty's Day", the use of which is almost enough to drive the Irish to not drink. The same people who call it Patty's are the first people to mention leprechauns and the fact that they are Irish. They're not. They do get one thing right though, they also drink themselves silly.

In case you can't tell, I hate the Irish drinking culture and am generally ashamed of how the Irish, and the Irish-"celebrating" world conducts itself on this day.

I'm staying indoors.

Love that approach nollaig. Thanks. From an Irish family, and believe me that side of the culture is a grave downer for me....

It's raining.  :exc: The first rain we've had since the beginning of December.  It's still hot, though, so it's really muggy.  And it's not enough to break the drought.

On other, bigger news, my mum got married on Saturday.  It's great to see her happy finally.  She left her abusive partner of 30 years last year.  She married an old boyfriend she met up with again a few months ago. 

Great news, good for your mum.

Have been away Wednesday to yesterday at my boyfriend's brother's wedding. My boyfriend was best man, and he looked so handsome in his suit. Got to meet the whole of his family, I will never remember all the names!

Today have been chilling a bit today and had a driving lesson in preperation for my test tomorrow (eek!)

Love that approach nollaig. Thanks. From an Irish family, and believe me that side of the culture is a grave downer for me....

And me! Never been a fan of it. I've always been the odd one out as an Irish girl who doesn't really drink much.

I'm back to work today, though I haven't done work so far so much as watch more Lizzie Bennet Diaries... there isn't a lot for me to do right now, though, it's kinda quiet.

Good luck with the test, Lucy!

Yean, good on Macy's!

Macy's customer service has really gotten better

(I work for them)

Oh, and since Spring is literally a couple days away, naturally we are getting yet MORE snow tonight.....4-6 inches....lucky us.

Of course they've improved since you are there. :D

Snow....of course.  :rolleyes:

That's fair enough until you consider that I specifically asked whether I would be expected to work on my own at the weekends, and I was told no. The reason I asked that was because it was like that in my previous job, and I knew how stressful that was and didn't want a repeat performance. Bear in mind the fact that this new home has more than twice the number of rooms. On the weekends, we have just 5 minutes to clean each of them which is not enough - hence the fact that many families complain that their relatives rooms are not done properly. Having said all of this, this last weekend was particularly difficult because of all the other issues with the flooded floor etc - not every weekend (I hope) will be like that. They still imo though need to get more cover.

As for the training, it will only mean finishing half an hour later than normal, so its not really that big a deal. It was the principle of not having been asked, especially after everything else that happened. It's mandatory training for all who work in the care industry, so I would have to do it as some point.

Today was thankfully a better and much more relaxed day.  :smile:

Glad the days are improving. 

Is the fact they told you a lie in the interview something you can bring up to them?  Or do you think that weekend was a one-off thing?

So sorry to hear this. It's not that you've lost money but the thought that someone did it to you deliberately. I find it really upsetting when things like that happen. It's like when my mobile phone was stolen and they charged loads of money to my account :( The spite of it was almost worse than the money tbh.

Ugh - how horrid June. That sounds so stressful. Hopefully it was just a one-off bad weekend.

Miserable people! 

I am so very happy for your mother! 

That weekend was a particularly bad one due to the problems with the flooded floor and so on, but sadly the fact that I was on my own will not be a one off. Since they stopped paying staff more to work at the weekends most of them have stopped doing it. The thought had crossed my mind. They are though I hear getting someone else who will work weekends soon, but whether he will work every weekend remains to be seen. If not, there will be one person in one weekend and two the next, so it will be pot luck as to whether he works the same weekends that I do. As to whether I can bring it up, yes it has been mentioned, but all they said was "do the best you can, and what doesn't get done doesn't get done". Not really an answer imo, as some fo the families complain if their residents rooms are not done, but I am not a miracle worker and am not going to work myself into the ground for little more than minimum wage.

Having said all of this, it is still though ten times better than my old job, as at least here you don't get shouted at and bullied, neither do I have start work at 7am or work for 7 or sometimes 8 days in a row, or do the washing up and laundry.

Yay!  The so called Beer Escalator (a tax that was raising beer duty automatically every year) has been scrapped and beer duty is being reduced by 1% later this month!  Hopefully that will translate to cheaper ale at the pump!

So today has been quite good. Found out that my comparison essay is only 1500-2000 words. I've got over by about 200 but I think we're allowd 10% over anyway. Also went into town to buy my boyfriend's birthday present. Just got him a razor as he wanted one to replace his rusty old one.

I've noticed my itching for eczema getting worse recently. I had a few weeks where I didn't need to take antihistamines but I'm gonna have to start up. The only real issue is that I'm only really itching at night and I'm paranoid about taking them like an hour before bed. I took one about  20 mins ago as I'm not sleeping til about 11-12.

The snow has hit here, I thought we were going to escape it again but no such luck. Will have to assume Robbie's football is off and not sure whether the leisure centre will be open for badminton as its entrance is through our country park and the road is steep and usually the first to cause problems.. That and the fact that I'm not a snow fan means we'll probably have a snow day at home..