Kylie

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, our humour is very high-brow. :giggle:

Thanks for the comments everyone. It was indeed a great evening. I noticed today that Jared Diamond (author of Guns, Germs and Steel etc) is giving a talk at the same place next month. I reckon that would be worth going to as well, although I haven't read any of his books yet.

I didn't get to meet him in person, but I didn't mind. It was just exciting to hear him speak.

I forgot to mention one interesting thing he said that night. I'm not sure if it's common knowledge (I suspect it is), but he's planning on writing two sequels to American Gods. Apparently he was actually starting to write the second one when The Ocean at the End of the Lane 'happened' instead. He has just blogged about his Australian trip here.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a few bookshops on the weekend and restrained myself admirably:

Alex Ayres The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain

Italo Calvino Hermit in Paris

Simone de Beauvoir All Said and Done

Susan Faludi Stiffed: The Betrayal of the Modern Man

Jasper Fforde The Woman Who Died a Lot

Joseph Stiglitz Globalization and its Discontents

Elizabeth Wurtzel Prozac Nation

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a few bookshops on the weekend and restrained myself admirably:

Alex Ayres The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain

Italo Calvino Hermit in Paris

Simone de Beauvoir All Said and Done

Susan Faludi Stiffed: The Betrayal of the Modern Man

Jasper Fforde The Woman Who Died a Lot

Joseph Stiglitz Globalization and its Discontents

Elizabeth Wurtzel Prozac Nation

Great haul, Kylie! I'd like to read Prozac Nation some day myself, Fforde's always recommendable reading, and I'm happy to see you found yet another Calvino title :D I have the de Beauvoir title myself, so I don't have to be jealous of that. The Faludi sounds like the most interesting in my opinion, quite oddly!

Oh and hey, congratulations, babe, for going over 10,000 posts!!! :friends3::flowers2::JC_cookies::alc::bestw::party::kiss::cows:

I have been naughty.

Two online bookshops recently had big sales and, well, you all know me well enough to know what happened. The books have all coincidentally arrived on the same day, so I'm currently surrounded by new books and packaging. Here's the damage:

Fiction

Poul Anderson Tau Zero

John Boyne Mutiny on the Bounty

Charles Bukowski Notes of a Dirty Old Man

Charles Bukowski Tales of Ordinary Madness

Philip K Dick Ubik

Dashiell Hammet The Maltese Falcon

Christopher Isherwood Mr Norris Changes Trains

Kurt Vonnegut The Sirens of Titan

Non-Fiction

Edmund Burke The Evils of Revolution

Albert Camus The Myth of Sisyphus

Miles Franklin My Congenials

Walter Hadwen Premature Burial: How It May Be Prevented

Jack Kerouac Wake Up: A Life of the Buddha

Niccolo Machiavelli The Conspiracies

Anthony Marshall Fossicking for Old Books

Yoko Ono (ed) Memories of John Lennon

George Orwell Why I Write

John Ruskin On Art and Life

Evelyn Waugh The Letters of Evelyn Waugh

Virginia Woolf A Room of One's Own

I read Ubik a few years ago, it was complete mess-with-your-head stuff, as I recall.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that Philip K. Dick and I do not get along.  He is good at the ideas, but even in his more accessible books, like The Man in the High Castle, he buries the ideas in stories that are so opaque you can't see what is going on.  I prefer books by the likes of Clarke and Wyndham, who are also good with ideas, but also better at the story telling.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your thoughts on my last book haul, folks. A mixture of reviews there!

I visited my parents' place this weekend. Their town has an annual Shakespeare festival, so I went up to check it out. My English friends might be tickled (or not) by some of the connections to England...The festival is held in a small, picturesque town called Gloucester. On the way there, I drive through an even tinier town called Stratford, which sits next to the Avon River. Yes, really. I wonder if that's why they chose to hold the Shakespeare festival in that area? :)

I attended a production of Romeo and Juliet, where most of the roles were played by young, talented teenagers. It was a contemporary telling, so it was set in a caravan park on the north coast. In the scene where Juliet traditionally stands on a balcony, in this production she was standing at the window of an unattractive toilet/shower block with a towel wrapped around her head. :giggle: It was a bit sad to see that I was one of very, very few people under the age of 60 in the audience, but the town is a place for retirees, I guess, so I shouldn't be surprised.

On my way home today, I finally checked out a book sale that I have been meaning to visit for ages. It seems to be a charity sale that is run by volunteers, and it's held in a random building on the side of the road (hehe, I love country towns). My Mum had been there once and didn't think much of it (I don't think the books were in any order when she went there), but I found the selection quite good and the books were ridiculously cheap! I managed to get a hardcover copy of Keith Richards' Life autobiography for $4, and it looks brand new! Here are the rest of the books I bought (the prices averaged out to $2 each):

Woody Allen The Insanity Defense

Ernest J Gaines A Lesson Before Dying

Stephen Hawking A Brief History of Time

Patricia Highsmith Nothing that Meets the Eye: The Uncollected Stories

Patricia Highsmith The Two Faces of January

Michel Houellebecq Lanzarote

Daniel Keyes The Fifth Sally

Rohinton Mistry Such a Long Journey

Keith Richards Life

Oliver Sacks The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

Robert Silverberg The Book of Skulls

Stephen Hawking A Brief History of Time

Possibly the book with the highest proportion of non-finishers of all time?? It's a great book and I really enjoyed what I read, but I got to a point where I realised I understood every word, but just couldn't get my head around what he was talking about: the concepts were just way beyond my ability to comprehend. Offspring, studying physics at Masters level, did finish it, and said that it was 'one hell of a read' - but even he struggled in places. Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...

A few exciting purchases today (effectively freebies because I had a book voucher):

Richard Dawkins The Selfish Gene

Alain de Botton The Consolation of Philosophy & Status Anxiety

Jon Ronson The Psychopath Test

I have The Psychopath Test on my wishlist. Just waiting for it to come down a bit in price.

I was in the same situation! But I couldn't resist splurging on the full price book seeing as I had a voucher. :) I'd really like to read Ronson's Lost at Sea, too, but it's only a recent release so I have to wait for the smaller paperback version to be released (and a smaller price).

I haven't tackled A Brief History of Time, but my husband enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed The Psychopath Test though, I will read more of him, for sure.

I love your list. :)  I've read lots of Highsmith, but not those...but they're on the shelf waiting for me to get in a Highsmith Frame of Mind again. :readingtwo:

I have The Psychopath Test on my wishlist. Just waiting for it to come down a bit in price.

I have it on my wishlist too.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on holidays for a week and read three books and bought 10 more:

Anthony Burgess Honey for the Bears

Simone de Beauvoir Adieu: A Farewell to Sartre

Simone de Beauvoir The Mandarins

Hans Fallada Alone in Berlin

Jonathan Franzen How to be Alone

Thomas Keneally Schindler's List

CS Lewis Surprised by Joy

Charlie Pickering Impractical Jokes

Terry Pratchett The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch