Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2013

Kylie

Terry Pratchett The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch

x

I hope you like this one! I've got all three of the Science of Discworld books but I haven't read them yet. I'm unsure when would be the best time to read them, I've read 20-25 books of the Discworld series (I haven't counted in a while so it'll be somewhere around that number). Are you a fan of Terry Pratchett too? (well, I presume so or you wouldn't have bought a Science of Discworld book) I think his books are awesome, most of them (that I've read) are really good. I've got one shelf now only filled with Terry Pratchett books (double rowed).

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went on holidays for a week and read three books and bought 10 more:

Anthony Burgess Honey for the Bears

Simone de Beauvoir Adieu: A Farewell to Sartre

Simone de Beauvoir The Mandarins

Hans Fallada Alone in Berlin

Jonathan Franzen How to be Alone

Thomas Keneally Schindler's List

CS Lewis Surprised by Joy

Charlie Pickering Impractical Jokes

Terry Pratchett The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch

Danuta de Rhodes (aka Dan Rhodes) The Little White Car

I love that you casually mention you read three books, but list all 10 of the books you bought! :lol:  Anyone would think you enjoyed buying books more than reading them. :D

x

I hope you like this one! I've got all three of the Science of Discworld books but I haven't read them yet. I'm unsure when would be the best time to read them, I've read 20-25 books of the Discworld series (I haven't counted in a while so it'll be somewhere around that number). Are you a fan of Terry Pratchett too? (well, I presume so or you wouldn't have bought a Science of Discworld book) I think his books are awesome, most of them (that I've read) are really good. I've got one shelf now only filled with Terry Pratchett books (double rowed).

Yep, I'm definitely a Pratchett fan. :) I think I've only read about six Discworld books and the Truckers trilogy, but I have nearly all of the Discworld books. The Science of Discworld III (I don't have the first two) looks really interesting and not quite what I was expecting. I think I'll try to read a few more Discworld books before I read this though. :)

Yes, Pratchett's books certainly take up a fair bit of bookshelf space, don't they? :D

I love that you casually mention you read three books, but list all 10 of the books you bought! :lol: Anyone would think you enjoyed buying books more than reading them. :D

Hehe. I was planning to expand on the 'read' part by writing a few lines for each book, so I didn't bother going into details in that post. But given that I haven't written anything about any of the books I've read so far this year, who knows if I'll get around to it? :roll:

While I obviously love reading, I do get very excited when I buy books. I love cataloguing and listing them. :) Speaking of which, I received a large book package in the mail yesterday from a recent online book sale (Devi, have you received yours yet?) They're mostly non-fiction books.

Warwick Cairns About the Size of It: The Common Sense Approach to Measuring Things

Mark Carwardine & Stephen Fry Last Chance to See: In the Footsteps of Douglas Adams

Jennifer Egan Look at Me

Zac Goldsmith The Constant Economy: How to Create a Stable Society

Al Gore Our Choice

Edward Gorey The West Wing

Xavier Herbert Capricornia

Amanda Little Power Trip: Our Ride to the Renewable Future

George RR Martin (ed.) Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance

Alex Perry Falling of the Edge: Globalization, World Peace & Other Lies

VS Ramachandran The Tell-Tale Brain: Unlocking the Mystery of Human Nature

Oliver Sacks Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

Lynn Shepherd Tom-All-Alone's

William Stolzenburg Rat Island: Predators in Paradise and the World's Greatest Wildlife Rescue

:D

I didn't buy them in the end, because I have been so sick I completely forgot about the sale. When I did remember it was already over :(

Pretty bummed about it as I had found some good books.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't updated this with my last book-buying activity, which was a couple of weeks ago:

Susan Cain Quiet—The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Richard Dawkins The God Delusion
Christopher Hitchens Arguably
Christopher Hitchens God is Not Great
Christopher Hitchens The Portable Atheist

These all look great. I'm already partway through Quiet, and it's excellent so far.

I haven't updated this with my last book-buying activity, which was a couple of weeks ago:

Richard Dawkins The God Delusion

I've had this one on my shelf for a couple of years, I've flicked through it and read bits and pieces, and liked what I read.mLook forward to hearing what you think. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I visited a couple of excellent secondhand bookshops yesterday. They both had a great range but the books were a bit on the expensive side, so I limited myself (but not too much, because it has been about 6 weeks since I last bought any books!)

Simone de Beauvoir The Prime of Life

Alain de Botton How Proust Can Change Your Life

Lawrence Ferlinghetti Her

Jerome K Jerome Diary of a Pilgrimage

Vladimir Nabokov The Annotated Lolita

Ann Radcliffe A Sicilian Romance

Philip Roth The Ghost Writer

John Steinbeck The Short Reign of Pippin IV

Hunter S Thompson The Proud Highway

:)

I'm going to comment on the posts I've missed so far, you know how I've been behind on reading logs... So I'm sorry, but this looks really bad when I'm commenting many individual hauls of yours, it'll make it look like you've been buying heaps of books just recently :blush::giggle2:

John Boyne Mutiny on the Bounty

Wohoo for Boyne! I got this a year ago, I've loved the two Boynes I've read so far, I think he's a marvellous author :)

Charles Bukowski Notes of a Dirty Old Man
Charles Bukowski Tales of Ordinary Madness

I also like Bukowski, although if you read many of his books in succession they might start to sound a bit samey.

Evelyn Waugh The Letters of Evelyn Waugh

Oh, great find! If I remember correct, you've read and liked Brideshead Revisited? So you'll enjoy this :)

Virginia Woolf A Room of One's Own

Score! :D

Stephen Hawking A Brief History of Time

I'll be interested in hearing what this book is like.

Daniel Keyes The Fifth Sally

Isn't he the one who wrote Flowers for Algernon? I think I've only heard of that book by him, so I'll be interested in knowing what this one's like :)

Keith Richards Life

Jealous!

Oliver Sacks The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

I have this on my TBR pile, I think it'll be interesting.

Jon Ronson The Psychopath Test

Yay for getting this, I think you mentioned you wanted to read it when I'd borrowed it from the library... I've now had it almost for 5 months and haven't read it yet :blush: And I can't re-borrow it any more :giggle:

Simone de Beauvoir Adieu: A Farewell to Sartre

Simone de Beauvoir The Mandarins

Wohoo for Beauvoir! :)

Lynn Shepherd Tom-All-Alone's

I think this ought to be interesting! :)

Alain de Botton How Proust Can Change Your Life

I'm probably most excited by this, because I loved the book! I hope you do, too :smile2:

Hunter S Thompson The Proud Highway

And yay for more Thompson, I know you've enjoyed his books! :)

Is that Pythonesque?

Thanks for your comments, Frankie (and for making it look as though I bought all those books in one go! :P) I'll comment on your comments later. Right now, I need to go and belatedly join the read-a-thon!

• 2 weeks later...

I received some books in the mail earlier this week:

Jeffrey Eugenides My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead

Homer The Iliad

Charles Neider (ed) Punch, Brothers, Punch: The Comic Mark Twain Reader

Watkin Tench 1788

Evelyn Waugh The Diaries of Evelyn Waugh

Oscar Wilde De Profundis and Other Prison Writings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I've read that book in Dutch.. I believe my parents own it. I quite liked it! It's been quite some time though so I couldn't tell you a lot about it, other than that I liked it. I was quite impressed with the author's mathematical skills and memory.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I updated my thread. I've spent the last couple of days going through threads on the forum that I haven't read since early May. My, you lot are chatterboxes!

I also finally got around to completing the list of books I bought in 2012 (only 8 months into the new year!) I still haven't done a final tally of how many I bought - I only know the total to June. I'm far too scared to add it up, but I'll do it the next time I need to procrastinate. The good news is that I've been buying far fewer books this year (mostly because I'm broke - I guess because I spent so much last year on books!) I bought 94 books in the first half of this year, which is still rather excessive, but that's 67 books less than the same time last year. Hooray! :D

I'm planning on going to the Canberra bookfair next month. Last time I bought around 112 books, but this time I'm going to be very, very strict on myself and try to keep the number to less than 50 (subject to revision because I just randomly came up with that number :P). It really does help to not have any money, I guess. :)

My reading has been absolutely woeful; I can't remember the last time I finished a book. :( I keep starting books and never continuing on with them, even though I've been enjoying everything I've been reading. At the moment I'm about one-third of the way through Daniel Tammett's Thinking in Numbers, which is a collection of essays about numbers in our lives. It's going pretty well; I've learnt some interesting things (which I'm sure I'll promptly forget as soon as I finish the book :roll:).

I'm also about halfway through Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I've been reading it at a very slow rate, but it's excellent indeed. I plan on passing it on to my extroverted partner when I've finished so he can hopefully learn a bit more about why I am the way I am. :)

My, you lot are chatterboxes! 

They are aren't they? :giggle2:  :giggle:  :blush2:  :D 

Good to see you back mistress :) well done on the cutting back (so much better than cutting out :D) .. you should be proud of yourself. Can't wait to read which 50 books you come back from the fair with .. let's call it 67 to be on the safe side :D 

Strangely, I am an introvert who can't stop talking :blush2: .. I must be some sort of contradiction :D

Haha, Poppyshake. :) Actually, your thread is the last remaining thread I have to catch up on! I think I'm about 4 pages behind, although I've read some of the recent posts.

I'm still working on updating my reading thread here. I tallied up the number of books I bought in 2012, and while it was around 120 books less than I bought in 2011, it was still be second-highest total in the 5 years I'd been keeping track (2008–2012 inclusive).

This year, I'm well on track to buy the smallest number of books since before records began (in 2008), which will be a huge achievement. :D I have bought 104 books so far, and I'm hoping to keep it under 200, which means I could still buy 50 (or 67!) books at the book fair and have 'room' left over.

I wish I could say that my reading rate was still at the high level it was at a couple of years ago, but at this rate I'll be lucky to read about 20 books this year. :(

Oops. The whole point of my last post was to mention my recently acquired books, but I went off on a tangent.  :blush2:

So, here are the books I've acquired in the past 6 weeks.

Mary Elizabeth Braddon Lady Audley's Secret

Italo Calvino (ed) Fantastic Tales

Wilkie Collins The Woman in White

F Scott Fitzgerald This Side of Paradise

Germaine Greer The Whole Woman

Paul Jennings Uncollected (thanks Devi!)

Jack Kerouac Beat Generation

Peter Stewart Demons at Dusk

Tom Wolfe Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers

Oops. The whole point of my last post was to mention my recently acquired books, but I went off on a tangent.  :blush2:

So, here are the books I've acquired in the past 6 weeks.

Mary Elizabeth Braddon Lady Audley's Secret

Italo Calvino (ed) Fantastic Tales

Wilkie Collins The Woman in White

F Scott Fitzgerald This Side of Paradise

Germaine Greer The Whole Woman

Paul Jennings Uncollected (thanks Devi!)

Jack Kerouac Beat Generation

Peter Stewart Demons at Dusk

Tom Wolfe Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers

I love F. Scott Fitzgerald and can't wait to hear what you think of This Side of Paradise. It's on my TBR as well. :)