Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2013

Kylie

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW Kylie! You are the Master of Lists, the Bestest Organizer Ever!

Would you like to come and live with us for however long it takes to organize our books?? Please?? LOL

Is that Gaimen's dog? Gorgeous. Reminds me of a dog I had.

Read Banville. :readingtwo: :readingtwo: :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

So very cool!! :D I bet you're proper excited :exc: One of the poor man's doggies died just recently, I hope the trip will take his mind off of things. Why don't you flash him a little flesh, aye?

I am *very* excited! I saw a clip of him speaking at (I think) a university graduation thing recently, and he was awesome.

Yeah, I saw the pics of his doggie. :( Poor thing.

I would consider flashing him some flesh, but I'm not sure that my date would appreciate it. ;) Maybe throwing some sexy underwear on the stage would be more appropriate (or at least, a little less inappropriate)!

Very exciting Kylie! Maybe I should actually read one of his books in honour of you meeting him!

I've read Neverwhere, Coraline and The Graveyard Book. I have quite a few others on my TBR pile, so I'm thinking of reading one before I go and see him. I'd like it to be American Gods, but I'm sure I won't have time to finish that in 9 days, so maybe I'll go for Stardust instead.

Kylie, will you get a chance to chat with Neil do you think? Or at least ask questions?

I don't think I'll actually get to meet him, but there will be a Q&A, so maybe I could ask a question. I'm rather shy at the best of times though, and I can only imagine how that would be magnified when speaking to someone like Gaiman, so I probably wouldn't ask anything. But if one of you lovely folks has a question, I can try to pass it on (maybe I'll get my date to ask - he's much more confident than me).

This is exciting, I wish you lots of fun!! His new book sounds quite interesting.

Thanks Athena! I think his new book sounds great too. :)

WOW Kylie! You are the Master of Lists, the Bestest Organizer Ever!

Would you like to come and live with us for however long it takes to organize our books?? Please?? LOL

Read Banville. :readingtwo:

Aw, thanks Pont! And YES, I would absolutely love to come and live with you while I organise your books! It would probably be a permanent job though, because you'd be buying them as fast as I could catalogue/organise them! :D That sounds like a dream job!! (Seriously, if that was a real career option, I would absolutely become a Book Organiser.)

I am woefully behind with Banville, as you probably noticed. I will make it my mission to read one Banville books this year. :)

Those lists - good lord! :thud:

Ah, I don't have that one, only have American Gods and I'm not buying anything new remember! :)

American Gods is fantastic - I didn't like The Graveyard Book (it was good, but too short/simple) - but I LOVED American Gods.

I have some very cool news! :cool:Neil Gaiman is giving a talk in Sydney on 25 January, and I'm going!

Oooohhh!! I am very, very, happy for you and only the teensiest bit (make that a humongous bit :D) jealous. That book sounds amazing and you're going to have a fantastic time, no doubt. His talks always look brilliant whenever I've caught them on YouTube or wherever, he's just so full of stories. What's this about a date though? Have I missed important news? This is a very bookish sounding date ... that sounds extremely promising.

I've always thought that Tom Pinch (in Dickens' Martin Chuzzlewit) got given the best job in the world when he was given the keys to a great big dusty (old and neglected) library and told to sort and catalogue all the books. I remember it was, more or less, right on his doorstep and it paid more money than he'd ever had before. His employer was a mysterious man he never saw (and never knew the identity of until later) and so he was left to his own devices all day .. just sorting out the piles of books .. even reading some of them and taking them home to finish. I want that job! :D

Aw, thanks Pont! And YES, I would absolutely love to come and live with you while I organise your books! It would probably be a permanent job though, because you'd be buying them as fast as I could catalogue/organise them! :D That sounds like a dream job!! (Seriously, if that was a real career option, I would absolutely become a Book Organiser.)

I am woefully behind with Banville, as you probably noticed. I will make it my mission to read one Banville books this year. :)

Thass ok, you'll catch up. :)

You know.....I bet there are those that would pay to have their libraries organized and catalogued. Probably not enough to make a real living at, at first. However who knows what could develop? Seriously.

American Gods is fantastic - I didn't like The Graveyard Book (it was good, but too short/simple) - but I LOVED American Gods.

TGB was more of a young adult novel though, wasn't it? Do you like it better looking it at in that light, or were you still expecting more?

I think I'll make American Gods my next Gaiman after Stardust. And I really must get to Good Omens this year! My friend suggested today that I should ask if there's going to be a sequel to Good Omens.

I feel like i need to book extra computer time just to read your lists Kylie :doh:

Happy reading this year :D

Thanks Kidsmum. :)

I agree - I would love to be a Book Organiser!!!

Get in line! :P

Oooohhh!! I am very, very, happy for you and only the teensiest bit (make that a humongous bit :D) jealous. That book sounds amazing and you're going to have a fantastic time, no doubt. His talks always look brilliant whenever I've caught them on YouTube or wherever, he's just so full of stories. What's this about a date though? Have I missed important news? This is a very bookish sounding date ... that sounds extremely promising.

I've always thought that Tom Pinch (in Dickens' Martin Chuzzlewit) got given the best job in the world when he was given the keys to a great big dusty (old and neglected) library and told to sort and catalogue all the books. I remember it was, more or less, right on his doorstep and it paid more money than he'd ever had before. His employer was a mysterious man he never saw (and never knew the identity of until later) and so he was left to his own devices all day .. just sorting out the piles of books .. even reading some of them and taking them home to finish. I want that job! :D

Yes, I have met a lovely bookish chap. :blush2: He read me poetry on our second date and is already planning on coming to the next book fair with me. :D You recently 'liked' one of his pics on Facebook, actually (the panoramic pic where my nose looks disproportionately large). He's not in the pic though.

Ooh, I like the sound of that section in Martin Chuzzlewit! I must bump that up my TBR pile. :)

You know.....I bet there are those that would pay to have their libraries organized and catalogued. Probably not enough to make a real living at, at first. However who knows what could develop? Seriously.

I remember reading an article once about a woman who has a job buying/organising books for clients. Except that she doesn't buy books that the client wants to read - they are bought for decoration only. As much as I want to be a book organiser, my soul would die a little bit every day if I had to organise books for people who didn't care for them. (I'll try and find that article again and post a link.)

TGB was more of a young adult novel though, wasn't it? Do you like it better looking it at in that light, or were you still expecting more?

I think I'll make American Gods my next Gaiman after Stardust. And I really must get to Good Omens this year! My friend suggested today that I should ask if there's going to be a sequel to Good Omens.

I knew it was YA when I bought it, and the illustrations, cover and story idea were great. Just felt the writing and final plot was a bit half-hearted, underdeveloped and ultimately left me wishing it had had a bit more substance. Just because it's YA doesn't mean it can't have substance - look at books like A Monster Calls. Gave my copy of TGB away to someone who wanted it more than me, in the end!

American Gods, however, is awesome. I'm really looking forward to checking out his new novel in 2013, as well.

I finally finished The Casual Vacancy today! Woohoo! Too bad I was reading an ebook that wasn't actually listed on my TBR pile, so that number won't decrease. I'll try to post some thoughts later.

I'm now going to start on Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

I recently had to order a book from overseas for a friend, so I took the opportunity to buy a few books for myself, including a couple of books on feminism, a couple by/about authors from the Beat generation, and one that was highly recommended by VF. :) I received them today:

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

Go by John Clellon Holmes

The Beat Hotel: Ginsberg, Burroughs and Corso in Paris, 1957-1963 by Barry Miles

Woman's World by Graham Rawle

Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women by Elizabeth Wurtzel

It is. At least I think it is :D I'm pretty sure it is. A great photo! It looks like the doggy's doing a bit of foruming himself. Only aided by Gaiman if needed.

What kind of dog was it that you had? :)

I would consider flashing him some flesh, but I'm not sure that my date would appreciate it. ;) Maybe throwing some sexy underwear on the stage would be more appropriate (or at least, a little less inappropriate)!

Oh, forget about the date, it's Gaiman!! :D

I finally finished The Casual Vacancy today! Woohoo! Too bad I was reading an ebook that wasn't actually listed on my TBR pile, so that number won't decrease. I'll try to post some thoughts later.

Wohoo for finishing yet another book, you're on a roll, woman! :friends3: What did you think of TCV? Can you please write a review and can I then just copy+paste it on my log? :giggle:

I can't wait to hear what the va-jay-jay has to say.

The Beat Hotel: Ginsberg, Burroughs and Corso in Paris, 1957-1963 by Barry Miles

Oh this is probably going to be pretty awesome :D And right up your alley, too!

This is a Rory book, is that why you got it? Or hmmmm, have you talked about it before, wishing you'd own a copy? Let me know what this is like, I've been intrigued by the title (who wouldn't be).

I recently had to order a book from overseas for a friend, so I took the opportunity to buy a few books for myself, including a couple of books on feminism, a couple by/about authors from the Beat generation, and one that was highly recommended by VF. :) I received them today:

Go by John Clellon Holmes

Woman's World by Graham Rawle

That's an interesting list of books Kylie!

I hope you get to them soon - would love to know your thoughts on them.

I can't wait to hear what the va-jay-jay has to say.

Sorry that made me :giggle:

She did, and we enjoyed her no end. We had a miniature chihuahua at the time, and he absolutely worshiped her. To see the two of them was hilarious to say the least. He followed her around like a teeny shadow. :cool:

Zazu was beautiful, she looks like she had a lovely gentle soul. :)

She did, and also she loved, I mean loved the cats. Most of them wouldn't give her the time of day, but one of them would wrestle with her. Now, that was a picture I wish I had!

What a beautiful dog! It's always tough to lose such a sweet dog.

Thanks. And so true.

An Evening with Neil Gaiman at the City Recital Hall, Sydney

On Friday night, my BF and I went to see Neil Gaiman give a talk in Sydney. He read the first two chapters of his new novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which will be released in June. We were also able to collect a printed sample of the first three chapters of the same novel. It was lovely watching so many people simultaneously reading the same book during the intermission. :) The novel starts off very well, and I look forward to reading the rest.

For the second part of the evening, Neil was accompanied by an Australian jazz quartet called Fourplay. Neil sang a couple of songs while they played, and then he answered some audience questions that people had written down beforehand. He is a great storyteller (obviously) and quite funny. Frankie, given your suggestion that I throw my underwear at him, you might be interested to know that one question he received was 'has anyone ever thrown their underwear at you on stage?' It was signed from someone in the 'first row'. :D His answer was 'no' (and neither the chick in the first row, nor I, threw our underwear on the stage - I was too far away, for one thing ;)).

Next, Neil read to us from a book he has coming out in October this year (although I was alarmed to see that the Book Depository has the publication date listed as June 2014!) It's a young adult book called Fortunately the Milk, which is about the extraordinary adventures of a man who goes out one morning to buy some milk for his kids' breakfast while they wait for him at home (he sees a UFO and meets some aliens who have come to renovate Earth - he opens the door of their spaceship and 'lets in' the space time continuum, which send him backwards/forwards in time and space etc). Fourplay played sounds effects and music to accompany. The story is very funny and inventive, and I can't wait to read the rest. :D (Poppyshake, you might like to know that both books talk about toast!)

Neil Gaiman and toast!!! I'm in :)

Sounds like you had a great evening Kylie :) He really packs a lot into his evenings doesn't he?, you're lucky if you get a chat and a Q&A normally. I like that he incorporates music into his talks.

Will be adding the books to my wishlish tout suite :) Thanks for your lovely report Kylie, so glad you enjoyed the evening :friends0: