Maria Semple Where'd You Go, Bernadette

:)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought about mentioning you with that title, Poppyshake, but I thought it might be stating to obvious to say that you influenced that purchase. :D

I might have mentioned it once or twice :blush2: Hope you've filed it safe and sound Kylie .. I'm terrified of people reading it after raving about it so much :hide: There's no way they'll forget it was me who recommended it :D I sent it to my niece for her holiday read and she loved it so that was good but you know, one down, nine hundred and ninety nine to go :D

Btw .. whatever happened about that spider? :lurker: 

It's gone, thank goodness. My BF came and found it dead near where I had sprayed it. He got rid of it for me. :D

I'm reading this at the moment, and really loving it. :smile:

Excellent! I want to start reading this very soon.

I was a bit torn about buying books at the sale because there's a good chance I will find them cheaper next month. This was particularly true for WYGB, and it's also a trade paperback (I prefer smaller paperbacks). But then I thought how disappointed I'd be if I didn't find it at the bookfair next month, and I don't even think it's out in the smaller paperback format, so I decided I couldn't pass it up!

It's gone, thank goodness. My BF came and found it dead near where I had sprayed it. He got rid of it for me. :D

Excellent! I want to start reading this very soon.

I was a bit torn about buying books at the sale because there's a good chance I will find them cheaper next month. This was particularly true for WYGB, and it's also a trade paperback (I prefer smaller paperbacks). But then I thought how disappointed I'd be if I didn't find it at the bookfair next month, and I don't even think it's out in the smaller paperback format, so I decided I couldn't pass it up!

Yes my local Waterstone's had the larger format paperback and I managed not to buy it .. when I went to Paris, Shakespeare & Co had the smaller paperback and so yippee!! .. but d'you know what? I paid about £12 euro's for it :blush2: .. oh well it has the Shakespeare & Co stamp in it but when I came home the smaller paperback was everywhere .. in Tesco's (supermarket) for instance at about £3.99 :banghead: .. I shouldn't be allowed out :D

So glad you're enjoying it bobbs :)

Also .. very happy to hear the spider is RIP'ing :D 

Yes my local Waterstone's had the larger format paperback and I managed not to buy it .. when I went to Paris, Shakespeare & Co had the smaller paperback and so yippee!! .. but d'you know what? I paid about £12 euro's for it :blush2: .. oh well it has the Shakespeare & Co stamp in it but when I came home the smaller paperback was everywhere .. in Tesco's (supermarket) for instance at about £3.99 :banghead: .. I shouldn't be allowed out :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does it! It's especially frustrating because if I do see a smaller version at the bookfair, I'll always buy it, so I end up buying the book twice. I'll never learn!

Also .. very happy to hear the spider is RIP'ing :D 

Well, I don't know about RIP'ing because he got flushed down the toilet (and I know for a fact it was a 'he' because my BF checked... :o).

Why have I put a £ sign in front of euro's? :giggle2: 

:) I didn't even notice (shows what a great editor I am!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does it! It's especially frustrating because if I do see a smaller version at the bookfair, I'll always buy it, so I end up buying the book twice. I'll never learn!

I often buy a book twice if I see a preferable cover :blush2: oh dear .. no wonder I'm poor :D

Well, I don't know about RIP'ing because he got flushed down the toilet (and I know for a fact it was a 'he' because my BF checked... :o).

Oh goodness gracious me :o .. I've never been close enough to a spider to give it a full examination but ours are so small you probably wouldn't be able to tell .. oh my! :wibbly: 

I expect your editor's brain has learnt to switch off when reading my posts :giggle2: 

My reading has been absolutely woeful; I can't remember the last time I finished a book. :( I keep starting books and never continuing on with them, even though I've been enjoying everything I've been reading. At the moment I'm about one-third of the way through Daniel Tammett's Thinking in Numbers, which is a collection of essays about numbers in our lives. It's going pretty well; I've learnt some interesting things (which I'm sure I'll promptly forget as soon as I finish the book :roll:).

I'm also about halfway through Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I've been reading it at a very slow rate, but it's excellent indeed. I plan on passing it on to my extroverted partner when I've finished so he can hopefully learn a bit more about why I am the way I am. :)

x

I'm glad to hear you're liking both of these books. The first one I've read and the second is on my wishlist.

It's really nice to read about (all) your book buying habits :). I'm glad to hear I'm not the only 'bad' one here! I buy more books than I read, too. Good to hear from you again, Kylie :hug:.

Thanks Athena. :) I'm enjoying some of Tammett's essays more than others. I loved reading about pi, and when I read that he had spent hours reciting around 24,000 digits of pi, I had to go and find a video to see it for myself (well, just part of it!) Imagine being able to memorise all of those numbers!! I'm lucky if I can remember my phone number.  :giggle2:

Buying more books than we can read is such a problem, isn't it? But what a lovely problem it is! :)

Burial at Sea .

I once had 2 pet goldfish ,named Orrville and Wilbur (after the Wright Brothers) .

Why name a fish after men who liked to fly airplanes ? Not sure.

Anyhow, the first time I cleaned their fish bowl, took them out with a small net to move until I put the clean water in . They both JUMPED from the net. They thought they could fly . 

Next day, they were both floating on their sides . I'm no fish expert, but when your pet goldfish is floating sideways, its time to pick out funeral music and make burial arrangements.

Sadly, they were also buried at sea.

Moral of the story : If you get a pet fish, name him Moby or Dick or some such NAUTICAL name .

Moral of the story : If you get a pet fish, name him Moby or Dick or some such NAUTICAL name .

:haha:  :haha:

Julie, you crack me up! (But I'm also sorry that you lost your goldfish. :()

I called mine Gollum which is sort of nautical (him living in a lake and all) but he still ended up belly-up .. a lot sooner than I (or he I imagine :D) expected. Goldfish are very unrewarding pets .. at best they just swim about and I didn't even find that soothing :D

I like wildlife but the spider shouldn't have come in .. Kylie's house is not for spiders and neither is Poppyshake's. I recently heard something about a spray that you put around all your exits (well :giggle: of course I mean your house's exits :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle: ) and spiders won't come in because they don't like the smell. I think it's essence of chestnut or something. Trouble is, what if I don't like the smell and it deters me from coming in? :D 

I like wildlife but the spider shouldn't have come in .. Kylie's house is not for spiders and neither is Poppyshake's. I recently heard something about a spray that you put around all your exits (well :giggle: of course I mean your house's exits :giggle::giggle::giggle: ) and spiders won't come in because they don't like the smell. I think it's essence of chestnut or something. Trouble is, what if I don't like the smell and it deters me from coming in? :D

We need a spray like this for around bookshop doors! Maybe we would all save more money then :giggle2: Edited by Devi

I have bug spray that I can use around my house exits. But as I recall, the last time I used it, it just encouraged loads of cockroaches to come in! Maybe the spray was past it's use by date or something. :)

Devi, no! We should invent an anti-spray for that just in case! Speaking of book sprays, I remember seeing a pic on Facebook advertising a (fake) can of spray that smells like old books. I really wish someone would invent that for real.

Aha! There's a whole website devoted to it (and other bookish smells) here.

I went back to the book sale today to check up on a couple of books that I hadn't made up my mind about last week. I bought:

Frank Beddor Looking Glass Wars #3: Arch Enemy

Adolf Hitler Mein Kampf (had this on my wish list for a while)

:)

I received a book in the mail today:

PG Wodehouse A Life in Letters

I just flicked through it to read a little bit at random and found this:

'I have also met Scott Fitzgerald...I believe those stories you hear about his drinking are exaggerated. He seems quite normal, and is a very nice chap indeed. You would like him. The only thing is, he goes into New York with a scrubby chin, looking perfectly foul. I suppose he gets a shave when he arrives there, but it doesn’t show him at his best in Great Neck. I would like to see more of him.'

:D

I received a book in the mail today:

PG Wodehouse A Life in Letters

I just flicked through it to read a little bit at random and found this:

'I have also met Scott Fitzgerald...I believe those stories you hear about his drinking are exaggerated. He seems quite normal, and is a very nice chap indeed. You would like him. The only thing is, he goes into New York with a scrubby chin, looking perfectly foul. I suppose he gets a shave when he arrives there, but it doesn’t show him at his best in Great Neck. I would like to see more of him.'

:D

:DThat's going to be an awesome book .. it's guaranteed :)