Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

Book #68:  The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

Strain_zpsf3446e3f.jpg

From Amazon:

High-concept thriller with a supernatural edge from world-famous director, whose films include Pan’s Labyrinth and Hellboy.

A plane lands at JFK and mysteriously ‘goes dark’, stopping in the middle of the runway for no apparent reason, all lights off, all doors sealed. The pilots cannot be raised.

When the hatch above the wing finally clicks open, it soon becomes clear that everyone on board is dead – although there is no sign of any trauma or struggle.  Ephraim Goodweather and his team from the Center for Disease Control must work quickly to establish the cause of this strange occurrence before panic spreads.

The first thing they discover is that four of the victims are actually still alive. But that’s the only good news. And when all two hundred corpses disappear from various morgues around the city on the same night, things very rapidly get worse. Soon Eph and a small band of helpers will find themselves battling to protect not only their own loved ones, but the whole city, against an ancient threat to humanity.

Thoughts:

The first line of that blurb made me laugh: 'high concept'?  Seriously?  It's a blatant rip off, is what it is.  Yes, this is a vampire story.  Instead of the Demeter arriving at Whitby, we have an aircraft arriving in New York carrying a huge coffin containing, yes you guess it, earth.  Instead of a Dutch vampire hunter called Van Helsing, we have a Polish survivor of the Holocaust now vampire hunter called Setrakian.  Yes yes, heard it all before.

There are a couple of spins on the vampire myth that managed to hold my interest, though.  The modern setting and the protracted and somewhat slow first third of the novel sees the deaths on the aircraft being treated as a virus.  "Is it SARS?" someone asks.  There's a lot of medical detail - research has obviously been done.  Once the proverbial really begins to hit the fan there are some genuinely scary sequences - the first truly scary moments I've read in a horror novel for a long time - and hints are dropped that this is the beginning of a war between two groups of Master vampires and one loner who has gone rogue.  It also appears that the rogue has been aided by a human - but why?  Hence the trilogy, I guess.

So there's some genuine suspense and frights, but it soon tends towards repetition.  It's established early on that the vampires' first point of call will be their family and friends.  Several characters return to their various homes, find no-one about, and decide to go into the basement without the lights turned on.  Very sensible.  Even the main characters do this, when they know what's going on.  The main characters also seem to have remarkable durability in extreme circumstances, which I felt seemed to undermine the deadliness of the vampires with everyone else.

On the plus side, these vampires are nasty.  They don't fall in love, or sparkle in sunlight or any of that tripe.  They exist to feed, and they have a slightly different way of doing it.  They also work together and hunt in packs (del Toro and Hogan seeming to tap into the current zombie fever).  There is a relentlessness about them that I really liked.

Ultimately, though, the repetition is wearing, the characters somewhat one-dimensional and uninvolving, and - once I found out it was a trilogy - knowing the story wasn't going to have a proper ending in this book made it seem to drag on and on.  It's just under 500 pages long but it felt much, much longer to me.

This was apparently first proposed as a tv series by del Toro and, when there were no takers, it was suggested that he turn it into a series of books.  Since then there's also been a graphic novel adaptation, and a pilot episode in the works with a potential pick up for tv next year.  I wonder about this, and the overall plot of the book.  This rogue Master seems set on turning the whole world into vampires, because - once they are loose in the world - they just feed and feed, 'turning' each person they drain of blood.  If that continues exponentially, their main source of food will soon be gone.  Where does that get him?  I suppose I could read on and find out, but I can't be bothered at the moment  :shrug:

5/10

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even know this was a book... :o I suppose it's made based on the movie? Unfortunately I'm in the middle of packing etc and have no time to read the whole review. Too bad you didn't like it :( I suppose you would recommend to watch the movie instead? :D

I've not heard of a movie version, sorry - but yeah, whatever that film is about, go and watch it instead  :D   I don't think this can be the same story you're thinking of, as del Toro's going the tv route with this one  :smile:

I've not heard of a movie version, sorry - but yeah, whatever that film is about, go and watch it instead  :D   I don't think this can be the same story you're thinking of, as del Toro's going the tv route with this one  :smile:

:doh:  I'm a bit out of it because in a hurry and should not be on the computer right now at all.... Because duh, I did read the title, but then when I looked at the cover of the book, it said by the dude who made Pan's Labyrinth and then I just started thinking it's Pan's Labyrinth :blush::D

So yeah, my bad :giggle::D

Book #68:  The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

Strain_zpsf3446e3f.jpg

Nice review, although a shame you didn't enjoy it that much. It does sound like a rip-off (I imagine the authors would call it a 'homage', but we know the truth) of Dracula, although I guess it's difficult to be original where vampires are concerned these days.

I wonder about this, and the overall plot of the book.  This rogue Master seems set on turning the whole world into vampires, because - once they are loose in the world - they just feed and feed, 'turning' each person they drain of blood.  If that continues exponentially, their main source of food will soon be gone.  Where does that get him? 

Have you ever seen the film Daybreakers? This is basically the main concept of that film. Did you direct it? :giggle2:

OK, Steve.  :D  Today Amazon has on kindle sale for 1.99 USD The Heroes by Joe A.  Of course I hadda buy it.  I simply could not resist the Amazon synopsis.  It is as follows:

They say Black Dow's killed more men than winter, and clawed
his way to the throne of the North up a hill of skulls. The King of the Union,
ever a jealous neighbor, is not about to stand smiling by while he claws his way
any higher. The orders have been given and the armies are toiling through the
northern mud. Thousands of men are converging on a forgotten ring of stones, on
a worthless hill, in an unimportant valley, and they've brought a lot of
sharpened metal with them.

THE HEROES

For glory, for victory, for
staying alive.

:readingtwo:     :icon_eek:    :readingtwo:

Edited by pontalba

Have you ever seen the film Daybreakers? This is basically the main concept of that film. Did you direct it? :giggle2:

:lol:  I haven't seen that, no.  Shall I sue them for stealing my idea?  Assuming I can work out how they came up with it before I did :shrug:  :giggle2:

OK, Steve.  :D  Today Amazon has on kindle sale for 1.99 USD The Heroes by Joe A.  Of course I hadda buy it.  I simply could not resist the Amazon synopsis.  It is as follows:

:readingtwo:     :icon_eek:    :readingtwo:

:D   $1.99, you can't lose, even if you hate it :D

I like the end of the blurb the best: "Three men. One battle. No Heroes."  :cool::D

It's kind of a steal of The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld, isn't it?

I mean the combination of the idea and the title.

I have The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld and have read about a third of it. It's a nice idea when you want to tell other people about Discworld and I suppose it can be nice and entertaining to read, but I prefer reading the actual books themselves.

Edited by Athena

Loads of people on Facebook said he looked like David Beckham, too. :lol: Maybe one of the main plotlines is that they rediscover the secret of manufacturing hair gel? :giggle2:

I still think it looks awesome. :D Although possibly not as awesome as the Broken Empire ones . . . I'm surprised they didn't use the same cover artist.

ETA: Mark Lawrence said in response to the football comments: "well Beckham's done some damn fool things in his time... and ended up Prince of Football."

Edited by Signor Finzione

Book #69:  The Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell

LordsoftheNorth_zps68bb08bf.jpg

From Amazon:

The year is 878 and Wessex is free from the Vikings. Uhtred, the dispossessed son of a Northumbrian lord, helped Alfred win that victory, but now he is disgusted by Alfred's lack of generosity and repelled by the king's insistent piety.  He flees Wessex, going back north to seek revenge for the killing of his foster father and to rescue his stepsister, captured in the same raid.  He needs to find his old enemy, Kjartan, a renegade Danish lord who lurks in the formidable stronghold of Dunholm.

Uhtred arrives in the north to discover rebellion, chaos and fear.  His only ally is Hild, a West Saxon nun fleeing her calling, and his best hope is his sword, with which he has made a formidable reputation as a warrior.  He will need the assistance of other warriors if he is to attack Dunholm and he finds Guthred, a slave who believes he is a king. He takes him across the Pennines to where a desperate alliance of fanatical Christians and beleaguered Danes form a new army to confront the terrible Viking lords who rule Northumbria.

Thoughts:

Well that blurb says it all :lol:  This is the third book in Cornwell's 'Warrior Chronicles' series, weaving the tale of the warrior Uhtred into the reign of Alfred the Great in late 9th century Britain. 

Alongside Patrick O'Brian and Hilary Mantel, Cornwell is now pretty much my favourite author of historical fiction, and this book has only enhanced my opinion.  The final third of it is astonishingly good, thrilling stuff  written with a really intimate and yet cinematic drive, full of revenge for actions taken in the previous books.  It reminded me a little of the final act of the Daniel Day Lewis version of The Last of the Mohicans, in that it made me hate Uhtred's enemies so much that I was urging him onwards to dish out his vengeance.

Yet it starts on quite a subdued note, with Uhtred and Hild foresaking Alfred and heading north, with some half-hatched plan for Uhtred to deal with the man who stole his birthright - the fortress of Bebbanberg - many years before.  From there, I found it headed off in quite unexpected directions, particularly in part two ('The Red Ship'), which was very pleasing.

The characters are fantastic, from Uhtred himself (the story is told in the first person) to his adopted brother Ragnar, the priest Beocca, the slave Guthred and his sister Gisela, and on to the brilliant Irish slave Finan.  And the bad guys are just as good, but I won't spoil it! :D

But that last fifty pages.  Wow.  I just read them during my lunch break and, even with all the noise going on in the office, I couldn't tear my eyes away, and it doesn't overstay its welcome, either - far from it.  More please! :D  

Brilliant stuff.

9/10

Book #70:  The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

TheHobbit_zpse50ff381.jpg

From Amazon:

Bilbo Baggins enjoys a quiet and contented life, with no desire to travel far from the comforts of home; then one day the wizard Gandalf and a band of dwarves arrive unexpectedly and enlist his services – as a burglar – on a dangerous expedition to raid the treasure-hoard of Smaug the dragon. Bilbo’s life is never to be the same again.

Thoughts:

I've put off reading this for years and years, but I want to watch the film(s), so now seemed a good time - seeing as the extended edition blu-ray of An Unexpected Journey seems to have found itself on my shelf  :giggle2: 

I'm not Tolkien's biggest fan.  I think there are a few reasons for this.  From some time around my early teens my best mate always raved about The Lord of the Rings, saying it/they were the best book(s) he had read.  I remember him re-reading them practically once a year.  He even bought me a huge, one-volume edition (which I still own) to try and get me into it.  Unfortunately, in the meantime, I had discovered David Eddings.  I think it's one of those things, where you have a fondness for the author you read first at that age.  Had I read Tolkien first there would have been no contest, but I read Eddings and that was it.  Over the years I tried to read The Lord of the Rings four or five times but was repeatedly put off by its annoyingly twee beginning, the horrors of the Tom Bombadil episode, and the drudgery of the Council of Elrond.  On the first four attempts it was at that point that I gave up.  I eventually made it past that point on the fifth attempt, and went on to like the books very much, but they don't hold that special place for me that they do for so many.

Explanations out of the way, this is why I never really contemplated reading The Hobbit until now.  Given that, unlike its successor, it is very much a children's book, and given how much I hated the overly (imo) childish opening of The Lord of the Rings, it just never appealed.  Having just read it over the last couple of days, though, I'm happy to say I needn't have worried.  I've no doubt I'm one of the very few on this forum not to have read it until now, and so am likely to be preaching to the converted.  I enjoyed it very much.  There's an enchanting quality about it that I felt the early stages of Fellowship lacked - it's written for children, but it doesn't feel childish in the way mentions of 'eleventy-first' (  :banghead:  ) birthdays always do to me.  In fact, I found Bilbo here to be a charming and amusing character, who grows considerably over the course of the adventure.

And it does feel like a big adventure, with very little in the way of extraneous material.  It doesn't hang about, and it has moments that are exciting, occasionally scary, and generally very well written.  It doesn't overstay its welcome, either, which I thought LotR did.  What I found interesting was how much of it was later to be repeated in LotR:

from that passage beneath the Misty Mountains to the escape from the goblins to the giant spiders to the wood elves to the huge battle in the shadow of the Lonely Mountain

it all felt very familiar - but never in an annoying way, I have to say.  It was interesting to me to read a children's book about a world that has this feeling of a vast history behind it, hinted at in such tantalising ways that you can't help but want to know more.  I love that sort of approach.  Even if I hadn't already known of its classic status, it would have felt that way to me.

Any complaints?  Well, there are far too many songs in it for my liking (as there are in LotR), and there's not nearly enough of Smaug.  But hey ho, it seems churlish to complain  :D 

9/10