Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

In other news, you probably already know this, but Scott Lynch has announced that the fourth book in the 'Gentleman Ba-stard' sequence, The Thorn of Emberlain, is due to be published in Q3 2014 :o  :D

I heard this, pretty happy about it!

I will starting the Legend series next year :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, The Desolation of Smaug.  It had its moments but generally I spent more time thinking "why did he (Peter Jackson) do that?" rather than enjoying it.

Pros:

• Martin Freeman
  • Smaug
  • (even though I'm terribly arachnophobic) Giant Spiders!
  • The music
  • No songs!
  • No washing up!
  • Did I mention Martin Freeman?

Cons:

• Not nearly enough Bilbo
  • it's at least an hour too long
  • The ending!
  • Too much Richard Armitage looking serious and not enough Martin Freeman looking confused!
  • Legolas
  • Not enough Bilbo
  • Beorn (what a waste!)
  • All the new stuff in Lake-Town (a total waste of time)
  • Stupid Orcs (this annoyed me in LotR as well)
  • Ian McKellen's incomprehensible mumbling (at times)
  • The barrel chase (yawn)
  • NOT ENOUGH BILBO!!!

I was so peed off with the way it finished - sitting through two and a half hours of that to see a film that doesn't have a proper ending.  I heard a review the other day saying he was brave to end it in such a manner.  Rubbish.  He should at least have finished with Smaug's demise and given the film a proper climax  :banghead:

I didn't have a problem with them making up a character so much (and Evangeline Lilly looks gorgeous even with red hair and pointy ears :wub: ), especially since Tolkien's work is decidedly light on female characters, and she was infinitely less irritating than Arwen (damning with faint praise, there), but the whole 'romance' thing was completely pointless and not a little stupid.  Including Legolas was just annoying.  All he seemed to be there for was to have him killing orcs in stupid fashion - I couldn't see any other reason for him to be there :shrug:  And what the hell's going on with his eyes?  Plus, it's tough to have an elf look ageless when the actor playing him is ten years older and looking a bit porky :giggle2:

The barrel ride really annoyed me, too.  How come the barrels didn't just sink?  In the book, Bilbo seals the dwarves in the barrels, doesn't he?

I can understand why some changes were made, cos some things that work on the page don't make for very entertaining big screen entertainment, especially for the modern multiplex audiences, who all seem to suffer with ADHD and can't go 30 seconds without playing with their smartphones  :rolleyes:  I liked the stuff with Gandalf going to Dol Godur (although I hate the way PJ handles the Orcs, in this and LotR :banghead: ).  I can understand why he got the dwarves involved with Smaug, because having the dragon just disappear and leave the place unguarded like he does in the book wouldn't make much sense in a filmic way.  But then, as usual, he took it way too far.  The scenes with Bilbo and Smaug were brilliant, but then the whole thing dragged on for another half hour with Smaug and the dwarves.  Funny, because I thought there was too little of Smaug in the book, but there's almost too much of him in the film (and no doubt another hour to come in the next one).  That said, the dragon is so impressive on the screen - best dragon ever, I reckon.  And Cumberbatch does the voice perfectly.

And what about Bilbo??  Martin Freeman is the best thing in the film, and it's called The Hobbit, and the fricking Hobbit spends most of his time in the background.  When he's front and centre the film's so much better.  The funniest moment in the film, when I thought most of the humour fell flat, was Bilbo's reaction when all the barrels had gone and he realised he couldn't get out :lol:

And I'm horribly arachnophobic, but I thought the spiders were awesome, at least until the fecking elves arrived.

Also, I don't think it particularly benefited from the 3D.  I felt the 3D just made the cgi look more fake :shrug:

*sigh*  :rolleyes:

Sigh indeed. I agree with most of your points, what don't you like about PJ's Orcs?

As I said in the other thread I could have forgiven the Legolas addition if he hadn't gone to Laketown as well, makes no sense them two leaving the woodland realm.

The spiders were good, but cut short, in-fact the whole first 30 minutes until they reach the elves was very rushed, which is annoying as it was actually pretty good. Beorn was completely wasted. Though i'm sure there will be more of him in the extended edition :giggle2:

By far the worst addition was the character Alfrid (The Mayor of Laketown's assisstant or whatever he was), clearly trying to replicate Wormtongue but utterly failing.

Remember lines like this from LOTR:

"Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in? So fair, yet so cold like a morning of pale Spring still clinging to Winter's chill."

And in the hobbit we get a pantomime-esque villian with a mono-brow who trips up the underdog allowing him to be falsely imprisoned just when he is needed to save the day :banghead:

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the film so much :(. I'll probably be seeing it in the Christmas holidays and will be posting my thoughts somewhere too, though from your spoiler (which I read since I've read the book) I think I'm likely to agree with a lot of what you all say!

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it that much. :( I really enjoyed it, except for- wait, do I have to use spoiler tags? *sigh* Alright.

It annoyed me that there were so many elves - it's supposed to be about Hobbits and Dwarves! The romance thing annoyed me, because the time they spent on Tauriel could easily have been spent instead on Beorn or the spiders or, you know, the desolation of fecking Smaug.

Just copying this over from the David Gemmell thread and updating it so I know which ones I still need to buy (before they change the cover style of all of them).  Ones I've read so far in blue, ones still on my TBR list in green.

Legend (1984)
King Beyond the Gate (1985)
Waylander (1986)
Wolf in Shadow (1987)
Ghost King (1988)
Last Sword of Power (1988)
Knights of Dark Renown (1989)
The Last Guardian (1989)
Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
Lion of Macedon (1990)
Dark Prince (1991)
Morningstar (1992)
In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
White Knight Black Swan (1993) (pseudonym of Ross Harding)
Bloodstone (1994)
Ironhand's Daughter (1995)
The Hawk Eternal (1995)
The Legend of Deathwalker (1996)
Dark Moon (1996)
Winter Warriors (1997)
Echoes of the Great Song (1997)
Sword in the Storm (1998)
Midnight Falcon (1999)

Hero in the Shadows (2000)
Ravenheart (2001)
Stormrider (2002)

White Wolf (2003)
The Swords of Night and Day (2004)

Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow (2005)
Troy: Shield of Thunder (2006)
Troy: Fall of Kings (2007) (posthumously finished by his wife, Stella)

I didn't realise he'd written so many.  :o

Would I have to read Legend and King before I read Waylander?

No, not at all.  They pretty much stand alone. 

ETA: to clarify, King takes place hundreds of years after Legend, and Waylander - although set in the Drenai world - is a completely separate story.

Maybe I should break that list down so it shows the various different sub-sets, would that be of any use? :unsure:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Perhaps, but only if you had the time. :) As you know I've never read any of his books, but have had Waylander sitting on my shelf for weeks. I was just asking about the other two because I'm considering reading it when I'm finished with Vance.

Oh you've no worries then, Waylander can be read completely on its own.  It's a great book, imo, although I think I prefer Sword in the Storm   :smile:

Okay, here you go  :smile:  

This is a list of David Gemmell's books grouped chronologically by setting. 

Drenai:

Knights of Dark Renown (standalone)

Morningstar (standalone)

Waylander

Waylander 2: In the Realm of the Wolf
Waylander 3: Hero in the Shadows
The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (prequel to Legend)
The Legend of Deathwalker (prequel to Legend)
White Wolf (Skilgannon the Damned Bk 1)
Legend
The King Beyond the Gate
Quest for Lost Heroes (sort of sequel to The King Beyond the Gate)
Winter Warriors (standalone)
The Swords of Night and Day (Skilgannon the Damned Bk 2)

Stones of Power / Sipstrassi:

Three sub-sets within this series.  The 'Stones of Power' feature in all of them, but that's the only link as far as I'm aware.

Lion of Macedon (Parmenion Bk 1)
Dark Prince (Parmenion Bk 2)

Ghost King (Stones of Power Bk 1)
Last Sword of Power (Stones of Power Bk 2)

Wolf in Shadow (Jon Shannow Bk 1)
The Last Guardian (Jon Shannow Bk 2)
Bloodstone (Jon Shannow Bk 3)

Hawk Queen:

Ironhand's Daughter
The Hawk Eternal

Rigante:

Sword in the Storm
Midnight Falcon
Ravenheart
Stormrider

Troy Trilogy:

Lord of the Silver Bow
Shield of Thunder
Fall of Kings (posthumously finished by his wife, Stella)

Other Titles:

White Knight Black Swan (as Ross Harding)
Dark Moon
Echoes of the Great Song

Regardless of this, it's best - in my opinion - to start with either Legend, Waylander, Sword in the Storm, or the Troy Trilogy (even though Knights of Dark Renown is fantastic!)  :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Conn Iggulden's 'Emperor' series (five books) going for 99p each on Kindle in today's 'Daily Deal'  :smile:

James Barclay's 'Raven' series (seven books) has been reduced from £27.99 to £18.19

Same for Alastair Reynolds0' 'Revelation Space' series (seven books)

I'm considering buying all of them :giggle2:   Bloody hell, that's 19 books  :hide:

ETA:  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!

:giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong