Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

That's really odd... Why would they offer something in this and that edition if they can't guarantee it? I personally would've liked the black cover a whole lot better, but I'm mighty happy you are content with the red one :D *phew*

I've got plenty of books with black covers - it's nice to have a change :lol:

... As long as you don't bust a vein... 'That's not how I pictured her!!' :D:giggle2:

Oh but it's about Nikki Heat, not Beckett   :giggle2: 

I'm glad to hear that! How far are you? Maybe you'll want to read Mistress Masham's Repose after this one... :giggle::lol:

:lol: I don't know about that . . .

I'm about 40 pages into the second book, The Witch in the Wood. I really enjoyed The Sword in the Stone, it was quite whimsical and very funny in places, but I sense it's going to get a bit darker from now on  :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got plenty of books with black covers - it's nice to have a change :lol:

Well I suppose that's good :D I didn't really know about your favorite colors and preferences so thought I'd go with solid black :)

Oh but it's about Nikki Heat, not Beckett   :giggle2:

Oh, it's the same thing... surely... :giggle2::lol:

:lol: I don't know about that . . .

That's really odd, because I remember you taking part in a reading circle earlier this year and this is an RC book :P

I'm about 40 pages into the second book, The Witch in the Wood. I really enjoyed The Sword in the Stone, it was quite whimsical and very funny in places, but I sense it's going to get a bit darker from now on  :)

Hm. So ... it's an omnibus? (Don't know much about the book, only that I've been moderately curious about reading it :blush:)

Right, recent additions (mainly thanks to the Amazon daily and Christmas deals) <<takes deep breath>>  :giggle2:

Treebooks:

The Once and Future King by T. H. White

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Heat Wave by Richard Castle

Ebooks:

Emperor: The Death of Kings by Conn Iggulden

Emperor: The Field of Swords by Conn Iggulden

Emperor: The Gods of War by Conn Iggulden

Emperor: The Blood of Gods by Conn Iggulden

Noonshade by James Barclay

Nightchild by James Barclay

Elfsorrow by James Barclay

Shadowheart by James Barclay

Demonstorm by James Barclay

Ravensoul by James Barclay

Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds

Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds

Diamond Dogs & Turquoise Days by Alastair Reynolds

Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds

Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell

Sharpe's Triumph by Bernard Cornwell

Sharpe's Fortress by Bernard Cornwell

Sharpe's Trafalgar by Bernard Cornwell

Grunts by Mary Gentle

Son of Heaven (Chung Kuo Book 1) by David Wingrove

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Lionheart by Sharon Penman       

The Mangle Street Murders By M. R. C. Kasasian

:doh:   :giggle2: 

Hope you enjoy the Susanna Clarke, Steve, i plan on re reading it again this year it's such a good book & you can't go wrong with a Sharpe book as far as i'm concerned great stories full of derring do  :D I also have The Passage to read so i'll look forward to your review  :smile:

Hope you enjoy the Susanna Clarke, Steve, i plan on re reading it again this year it's such a good book & you can't go wrong with a Sharpe book as far as i'm concerned great stories full of derring do  :D

I so nearly bought them all when they were 99p each  :giggle2:   Probably should have, cos I'm sure I'll end up reading them all eventually.  Might take a few years, though!  :D

Good choice on the Sharpe books, I love the first three set in India, also be interesting to see how Trafalgar compares to the O'Brian books.

Have you read all of them, Tim? :unsure:

Add The Queen's Man by Sharon Penman to the above list - just bought it for Kindle for £1.19 :rolleyes:  :giggle2:

I have read 15 so far, out of 21.

Bit annoyed though, I keep them all at home and went back for Christmas to find that my Dad had read them all and broken the spines of every single one!  :Tantrum:

Aaaaaaaaagh! :(   I'd've gone mad  :banghead:  :D

Hm. So ... it's an omnibus? (Don't know much about the book, only that I've been moderately curious about reading it :blush:)

Pretty much, yeah - it was first published in 1958 and contains five stories, three of which were written in the '30s and '40s, one which was first published in the 1958 edition, and one that was added later in the '70s  :smile:

I finished The Witch in the Wood last night, and have started on The Ill-Made Knight today  :smile:

I think I'd cry if someone did this to my books. :(

I almost did! I bought all of them second hand, yet made sure they were like-new copies. Took me flippin' ages! Will probably get rid of them now, not like I have any space for them.

Aaaaaaaaagh! :(   

exactly!

I almost did! I bought all of them second hand, yet made sure they were like-new copies. Took me flippin' ages! Will probably get rid of them now, not like I have any space for them.

What an awful thing to do, and ^ that makes it so much worse. :( :( Our books are our babies, and you can't manhandle babies! :no: Your Dad should make it right by replacing the copies, in as great condition as they were initially.

What an awful thing to do, and ^ that makes it so much worse. :( :( Our books are our babies, and you can't manhandle babies! :no: Your Dad should make it right by replacing the copies, in as great condition as they were initially.

Yeah I concur, except I had a go at him and he didn't even realise he had done it, then when he did he didn't care at all. 

Bit annoyed though, I keep them all at home and went back for Christmas to find that my Dad had read them all and broken the spines of every single one!  :Tantrum:

x

This is terrible :(! Poor you :empathy: (and poor books). 

Steve, that's one great haul! I have some of the James Barclay and Alastair Reynolds books on my TBR. I hope you enjoy all your new books :).

Right, recent additions (mainly thanks to the Amazon daily and Christmas deals) <<takes deep breath>>  :giggle2:

Treebooks:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke     

Well this is brilliant news just brilliant :D I'm sure you're going to enjoy all your new books Steve but really will be keeping my fingers crossed that you love this one. Remember to bear with it .. it does start slowly and there's a lot to take in and you will be thinking every five mins 'yes .. but when does Jonathan make an entrance' but all will be well .. in fact all will be excellent .. I hope :blush2:  :giggle:  

He should make it up doubly by buying them brand new! Poor babies. :(

Yeah I concur, except I had a go at him and he didn't even realise he had done it, then when he did he didn't care at all. 

I'm actually furious at him on your behalf, Tim.  :motz:  

This reminds me of when I lent my sister a whole bunch of my books (she's doing the exact same Literature course at uni that I did), and got them all back with post-it notes stuck in them everywhere, pencil notes in the margins, and loads of pages with bent corners.  :banghead:  Her response? A roll of the eyes and a cocky and insincere "Sor-RY."  :motz:

WHY DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND THAT BOOKS ARE PRECIOUS TO US???

This reminds me of when I lent my sister a whole bunch of my books (she's doing the exact same Literature course at uni that I did), and got them all back with post-it notes stuck in them everywhere, pencil notes in the margins, and loads of pages with bent corners.  :banghead:  Her response? A roll of the eyes and a cocky and insincere "Sor-RY."  :motz:

WHY DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND THAT BOOKS ARE PRECIOUS TO US???

x

Ack :banghead:! That's pretty bad too! It's a shame so many people don't understand that books are precious. Personally, I'm always very careful whenever I have borrowed something from someone, never to make it in a worse condition than it was. I don't often lend out my books these days (except to people I trust), there are some that I've never got back and the stories here don't exactly make you have faith in humanity not to damage them.

I'm sure you're going to enjoy all your new books Steve but really will be keeping my fingers crossed that you love this one. Remember to bear with it .. it does start slowly and there's a lot to take in 

What, you mean like you did with Gardens of the Moon:P  :giggle2:

Thanks Kay, I'm looking forward to it  :smile:

Add The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome Book 1) by Colleen McCullough to my list of purchases - I've wanted this one for ages but the sheer size of the paperback put me off.  The series has just been released on Kindle, though, and this one is currently only 99p!  :D