Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read 15 so far, out of 21.

Bit annoyed though, I keep them all at home and went back for Christmas to find that my Dad had read them all and broken the spines of every single one!  :Tantrum:

I almost did! I bought all of them second hand, yet made sure they were like-new copies. Took me flippin' ages! Will probably get rid of them now, not like I have any space for them.

exactly!

Yeah I concur, except I had a go at him and he didn't even realise he had done it, then when he did he didn't care at all. 

Oh, Tim!  Much sympathy!  I think that last ^^^ is possibly the worst though, not to even care just takes the cake!    I'd be absolutely mortified if I'd damaged someone's book. 

I hope you don't leave any other books there!! 

Connected, but not the same...that's why I never lend books, one just never knows.  I'll give the book away to someone, but lend?  Nah.

What, you mean like you did with Gardens of the Moon:P  :giggle2:

Thanks Kay, I'm looking forward to it  :smile:

Add The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome Book 1) by Colleen McCullough to my list of purchases - I've wanted this one for ages but the sheer size of the paperback put me off.  The series has just been released on Kindle, though, and this one is currently only 99p!  :D

I like McCullough in general.  I read one of that series a long time ago.  I remember not being too crazy about the way she depicted Julius Caesar.  The details are gone by now though.  Ahhh, ha!  Time for a reread. :doh:

Oh, Tim!  Much sympathy!  I think that last ^^^ is possibly the worst though, not to even care just takes the cake!    I'd be absolutely mortified if I'd damaged someone's book. 

I hope you don't leave any other books there!! 

It's OK he has never cared about anything that hasn't revolved around him in some way.

Unfortunately that's where the bulk of my books are, I am only renting my current place and there is no room for them, don't want to be dragging them all over the country until I can put permanent roots down, although if he does it again I may have to bring my books here for safe keeping. 

It's OK he has never cared about anything that hasn't revolved around him in some way.

Unfortunately that's where the bulk of my books are, I am only renting my current place and there is no room for them, don't want to be dragging them all over the country until I can put permanent roots down, although if he does it again I may have to bring my books here for safe keeping. 

You are a generous son, Tim. :)

Something I always go by is the old adage "fool me once, shame on you.....fool me twice, shame on me."

What, you mean like you did with Gardens of the Moon:P  :giggle2:

:giggle: Oh! ... but ... but ..:blush2: ... I didn't understand it and that won't be a problem for you here I'm sure. I will go a wandering in the old gardens of the moon again one of these days .. when I've collected my wits (anyone seen them?  :D)

x

That must be difficult :(! I hope it doesn't happen again.

As I'm not going to finish another book this year I guess this thread is drawing to a close.  Thanks to everyone who stopped by to read my waffle, or just for a chat, or even to point and laugh ( :P  :giggle2: ), it wouldn't be the same without you   :thankyousigna2: 

A few stats to finish things off:

I finished 77 books in 2013, 19 of which were ebooks, and I didn't give up on any!

I gave eight books 10 out of 10.  They were:

The Iliad - translated by Robert Fagles

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

My average score for the year was 7.6  :giggle2:

My favourite book of the year, bar none, was Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

As for the rest . . .

My favourite science fiction book of the year was a re-read - A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

My favourite fantasy book of the year was by Joe Abercrombie, but don't ask me to choose between Best Served Cold and Red Country (they had the best covers, too)  :D

My favourite character of the year was Gretel from Ian Tregillis's brilliant 'Milkweed Tryptich'

My funniest read of the year was Ready Player One

My most read author in 2013 was Vernor Vinge (five books)

My favourite discovery of 2013 was Blood Song by Anthony Ryan 

My favourite series of 2013 was between Patrick O'Brian's 'Aubrey/Maturin' and Bernard Cornwell's 'Warrior/Saxon Chronicles' - can't decide, they're both brilliant

My favourite classic was The Iliad (I read two epic poems in the end - and, before anyone says anything, I did read four or five classics this year :P  :giggle2: )

The book I was surprised I liked as much as I did was East of Eden by John Steinbeck

My biggest disappointment of the year was finding that I don't like Jules Verne much at all :(

My lowest score of the year was 2, which means my least favourite book was On Basilisk Station by David Weber

Thanks everyone, see you in 2014!  :D

Its been a pleasure reading your thread! I look forward to your new thread :)

Edited by Devi

Great thread as always Steve :smile: Glad the 'Applecrumbles' came out tops (in their genre) .. I bought them for Alan and will be borrowing them of course  :giggle: 

Very encouraging news about East of Eden .. that's on my list for 2014 .. with about 300 others  :giggle: I haven't bought any Jules Verne's though so phew!!  :D

Bring Up the Bodies was awesome indeed :) 

Looking forward already to your 2014 thread .. and the reading of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell which is bound to take place at some point  :party:   :D

Happy Reading!  :smile:  

Great stats Steve! I always love reading your thread and look forward to what the 2014 one will bring. :D

:( You might have to box them up to keep them safe. :(

:giggle: Oh! ... but ... but ..:blush2: ... I didn't understand it and that won't be a problem for you here I'm sure. I will go a wandering in the old gardens of the moon again one of these days .. when I've collected my wits (anyone seen them?  :D)

I think I spotted them tumbling down the street in the wind earlier, but it might just have been a crisp packet. :D Gardens of the Moon is brilliant, but the first time I read it I almost gave up because I didn't know what was going on. I got to the end of the first 200 pages, and then re-read them (I had a lot of time on my hands back then), and then it all made sense. :giggle2:

I haven't bought any Jules Verne's though so phew!!  :D

Oh but you might like him, cos you love vintage science fiction  :smile:   I feel a bit bad, cos I got that big hardback with seven of his novels in it last Christmas, but there you go.  It still looks nice on the shelf  :smile: