Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

I'm finding it a little too wordy - and I usually love wordy! - I think it is because I prefer books with a smaller number of characters where the author spends a lot of time on their characterisation, there is just too much going on at present.  I'm only 40 pages in though so hopefully things will improve soon.  I feel I have to finish it as my dad has been recommending it for so so long! :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding it a little too wordy - and I usually love wordy! - I think it is because I prefer books with a smaller number of characters where the author spends a lot of time on their characterisation, there is just too much going on at present.  I'm only 40 pages in though so hopefully things will improve soon.  I feel I have to finish it as my dad has been recommending it for so so long! :)

It doesn't get any less wordier :D Keep going though Hayley .. do it for your dad :D 

If those that aren't enjoying it can get through it .. it'll make for a really interesting range of opinions on the RC :smile: so far we only have two lovers :D 

Me, too, I thought it was brilliant! :D

Yay .. I am not alone .. and what great company :D

Edit: I think, though, that this is the type of book that you really need to be in the correct mood for.

:yes: I think so too and I'm very glad I was in it when I read it :D 

Yay .. I am not alone .. and what great company :D

Although I have to say I've experienced another 'tale' with a kitchen scene that might just rival the TG one... There was a woman with a big hand, and as she was shown a bisquit tin, her hand went in for one without asking permission, or without the hostess saying she could go right ahead... :D:giggle:

:yes: I think so too and I'm very glad I was in it when I read it :D 

I didn't think I was. The first page and half of the second were dreadful for me, but I persevered and then it was ON :D

Although I have to say I've experienced another 'tale' with a kitchen scene that might just rival the TG one... There was a woman with a big hand, and as she was shown a bisquit tin, her hand went in for one without asking permission, or without the hostess saying she could go right ahead... :D:giggle:

That was a scary scene was it not? :D

I didn't think I was. The first page and half of the second were dreadful for me, but I persevered and then it was ON :D

Oh I was 'on it like a car bonnet' right from the beginning :giggle: 

That plan:

Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence - started 14/10/13, finished 17/10/13

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian - finished 22/10/13

The Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell

Imperium by Robert Harris

The Legend of Deathwalker by David Gemmell

The Lamp of the Wicked by Phil Rickman

Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey

Having second thoughts about Imperium, as I keep hoping he'll get the final book of the trilogy written soon, so might wait for that before reading Imperium and re-reading Lustrum.  Not sure about The Lamp of the Wicked at the moment, either, might leave that for a while.  Might also swap out The Legend of Deathwalker for a couple of other Gemmell books.  There are a couple of others I might add, too. Hmmm.

The 'Expanse' books from James S. A. Corey (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) are being adapted into a tv series:

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/iron-man-writers-enter-sci-fi-mystery-tv-project-for-alcon-the-expanse-1200598499/#

Could be good :smile:

It doesn't get any less wordier :D Keep going though Hayley .. do it for your dad :D 

If those that aren't enjoying it can get through it .. it'll make for a really interesting range of opinions on the RC :smile: so far we only have two lovers :D 

Wordy I don't mind. 

I agree, when everyone either loves or hates a book, it's darned boring. :doh:

Yeah, but what did they think of the book? :shrug:

:hide:  :giggle2:

:rolol:  So. Very. BAD!  :day:

Great reviews, Steve :)!

x

As long as there's more fiction than science then I could probably handle it. The science bits put me off for the same reason as I dislike fantasy that goes into too much detail about magic systems - too much faff and not enough imagination. I'm sure you can think of a few examples of the latter. :rolleyes:

x

I'm a bit different, I quite like a lot of science in my science-fiction. Not in all science-fiction books, obviously, but I love science so seeing some science in SF can be very nice imo. I love hearing how for example technology works or how the ships work etc. Likewise I love hearing about magic systems too. I also love the fiction part though, so preferably a bit of both in my ideal book (if there is such a thing).

Edited by Athena

Book #65:  Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake

titus-groan_zpsa175a3ef.jpg

From Amazon:

As the first novel opens, Titus, heir to Lord Sepulchrave, has just been born: he stands to inherit the miles of rambling stone and mortar that stand for Gormenghast Castle. Inside, all events are predetermined by a complex ritual, lost in history, understood only by Sourdust, Lord of the Library. There are tears and strange laughter; fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings; dreams and violence and disenchantment contained within a labyrinth of stone.

Thoughts:

I won't review this one as normal, as it's being discussed in depth in this month's Reading Circle.  Peake's 'Gormenghast' trilogy is one that I'd thought about trying very occasionally in the past and, when I saw it was up for the RC I thought it was as good a time as any to give it a go.  I knew soon after starting it that it probably wasn't going to be my cup of tea.  It's kind of a Gothic fantasy written in a pseudo-Dickensian style and passed through a Tim Burton-tinted lens, with exaggerated caricatures instead of characters that I could engage or identify with. 

If it is a fantasy novel, it's one quite unlike any other I've read, and this can only be a good thing.  I think it's great when fantasy breaks away from the Tolkien mode and tries to do something different.  Unfortunately, as I say, this one didn't work for me.  There isn't much of a plot to speak of, although a couple of the sub-plots are better, and it's left to Peake's style to carry it through.  At times I found this worked well (mainly when dealing with Flay or Fuschia) and at others I found it quite annoying (particularly when dealing with Prunesquallor or the parrot-like twins).  I think this was mainly down to my sense of humour not matching Peake's.  Much of the dialogue involved irritating repetition.  I'm sure other people will find it amusing enough, though.

The book is around 380 pages long, but it feels much longer.  It is incredibly wordy, which I didn't mind, but I felt it needed a more substantial plot to really grab me.  I nearly gave up after about 100 pages because I just wasn't enjoying it at all.  It's easy to read, but I was finding it boring and was being easily distracted by thoughts of all the other books I might have been reading instead.  This is never a good frame of mind to be in, I'm sure most of us would agree!  I decided to push on, though, and I'm kind of glad I did because it does improve in the second half, and it's good to know that I've read it and can form an opinion on it.  I bought it on Kindle as part of the illustrated edition of the whole trilogy, but I don't think I'll be reading the other two.

I'd say that after the first 100 to 200 pages I would have given it a 3, but the second half improved enough that I would have given it a 5, so I'll split the difference.

4/10

I read this many years ago and don't remember it at all!  So it cannot have made a huge impression . I do remember a sort of Miss Haversham -like character...or am I imagining it?

Do you think you might ever go back to the Lyonesse trilogy Steve and finish that up?

Go on

go on

go on

I will be your best friend  :hyper:

A great review Karsa! [Titus Groan] I feel like you about it, maybe even more so, to the extent that I found it unreadable [and have given it a couple of goes over time.]It's certainly something different.......... but not in a good way , for me at any rate. :blush2: