Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

I read this many years ago and don't remember it at all!  So it cannot have made a huge impression . I do remember a sort of Miss Haversham -like character...or am I imagining it?

Do you think you might ever go back to the Lyonesse trilogy Steve and finish that up?

Go on

go on

go on

I will be your best friend  :hyper:

Threats won't work :P

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book #65:  Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake

I'm sure other people will find it amusing enough, though.

:giggle:

4/10

Ouch!!

Sorry you didn't enjoy it Steve .. I feel guilty now for urging you (though you did say you already had it etc etc). I didn't know it would turn out to be such an acquired taste :blush2: Looking on the bright side, at least you'll be able to free up some space :D (or was it a kindle read? :blush2:)

:giggle:

Ouch!!

What?! :hide:   I wasn't having a dig, just saying that the humour didn't work for me :D

Sorry you didn't enjoy it Steve .. I feel guilty now for urging you (though you did say you already had it etc etc). I didn't know it would turn out to be such an acquired taste :blush2: Looking on the bright side, at least you'll be able to free up some space :D (or was it a kindle read? :blush2:)

:lol:  Yeah it was a Kindle read.  Don't feel guilty -  I'm glad I gave it a go, even if it wasn't really my cup of tea it was good to find out what it's really like after hearing so much about it over the years  :smile:

In other news, I've managed to avoid sticking to the plan (again) and on an impulse started Michael Moorcock's Elric stories.  Not one you'd want to ask about in Waterstone's, I suspect:  "Can I help you?"  "Yes, I'm looking for Moorcock" :doh:  :giggle2:

Anyhoo . . .

What?! :hide:   I wasn't having a dig, just saying that the humour didn't work for me :D

No I know .. I just found it funny that's all :giggle: I'm quite used to my sense of humour parting company with everyone else's :D The 'ouch' was for Mervyn .. but I don't think he felt anything anyway :blush2:

:lol:  Yeah it was a Kindle read.  Don't feel guilty -  I'm glad I gave it a go, even if it wasn't really my cup of tea it was good to find out what it's really like after hearing so much about it over the years  :smile:

Oh well .. I don't feel so bad then :smile:  

poppy1_zps2bd2eede.jpg

And now the page before us blurs.
An age is done. The book must close.
We are abandoned to history.
Raise high one more time the tattered standard

of the Fallen. See through the drifting smoke

to the dark stains upon the fabric.
This is the blood of our lives, this is the payment

of our deeds, all soon to be

forgotten.
We were never what people could be.
We were only what we were.

Remember us

(Steven Erikson)

In other news, I've managed to avoid sticking to the plan (again) and on an impulse started Michael Moorcock's Elric stories.  Not one you'd want to ask about in Waterstone's, I suspect:  "Can I help you?"  "Yes, I'm looking for Moorcock" :doh:  :giggle2:

Anyhoo . . .

I laughed at this more than I should have.  :blush2:  :giggle:

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Titus Groan very much. I'm so curious about this book given the very mixed reviews. I would start it immediately if I didn't have so much else on my plate.

poppy1_zps2bd2eede.jpg

And now the page before us blurs.

An age is done. The book must close.

We are abandoned to history.

Raise high one more time the tattered standard

of the Fallen. See through the drifting smoke

to the dark stains upon the fabric.

This is the blood of our lives, this is the payment

of our deeds, all soon to be

forgotten.

We were never what people could be.

We were only what we were.

Remember us

(Steven Erikson)

Lovely, Steve.  Thank you. :smile:  :smile:

I saw on the Waterstone's website that they already had the paperback of Red Country in stock, even though it's not supposed to be out until the end of this week, so I popped down there just now to get it. 

I asked the assistant to use the points on my loyalty card, so it reduced the price from £8.99 to £7.06.  Cool!  I gave him a £10 note.  He asked if I wanted a bag - I don't, usually, but the weather is filthy and I didn't want the book getting wet, so I said 'yes please'.  So he put the book and the receipt in the bag, handed it to me, and turned to start talking to his colleagues.  I said 'Um, can I have my change please?' :rolleyes:

Five minutes of messing around later I was able to walk out with the book and my change :rolleyes::D

Still, worth it.  New Abercrombie to read!  :exc::D

Yeah, good job it's only a sticker! I'm losing track of how many of my books are forever tainted by the opinions of him and his pee-stained beard . . .

That simple description paints a truly awful picture in my head. And I don't even know who the bearded gentleman is.

They are nice, but I already have a couple of really gorgeous editions (well I bought them for my wife). The 50th anniversary of LOTR and 75th of the Hobbit.

But you can also get matching Simarillion and Children of Húrin which I really want which I want to get her as a present!

attachicon.gifLotrdeluxe2004-coverang.jpg

attachicon.gifCLP0006.jpg

Tim, out of interest, has your wife ever actually read these copies, or are they on display and she uses the paperbacks to read?  I've been hunting for reviews of these deluxe hardbacks but can't find any.  I'm sure you posted some other photos of them somewhere, I'll have to go and search.

I'm curious, because I was asked what I want for Christmas and - having gone off the idea of a new Kindle for the moment - it's a toss-up between these matching deluxe editions of LotR and The Hobbit, or the Del Rey six volume collection of Moorcock's Elric stories.

Tim, out of interest, has your wife ever actually read these copies, or are they on display and she uses the paperbacks to read?  I've been hunting for reviews of these deluxe hardbacks but can't find any.  I'm sure you posted some other photos of them somewhere, I'll have to go and search.

I'm curious, because I was asked what I want for Christmas and - having gone off the idea of a new Kindle for the moment - it's a toss-up between these matching deluxe editions of LotR and The Hobbit, or the Del Rey six volume collection of Moorcock's Elric stories.

I'm not sure she has ever read them cover-to-cover, she has some tattered old copies that are her 'reading' copies. But she certainly uses them for reference. I am planning an LOTR re-read next year and I will probably use her nice editions... if she lets me.

I think I posted some pictures a while back... if you can't find them let me know and I can take some more :D

I've asked for a nice Count of Monte Cristo edition :D

I'm not sure she has ever read them cover-to-cover, she has some tattered old copies that are her 'reading' copies. But she certainly uses them for reference. I am planning an LOTR re-read next year and I will probably use her nice editions... if she lets me.

I think I posted some pictures a while back... if you can't find them let me know and I can take some more :D

Thanks Tim :smile:

I found this video review which pretty much tells me what I wanted to know :smile:

I've asked for a nice Count of Monte Cristo edition :D

Ooh, which one?  :smile:

That simple description paints a truly awful picture in my head. And I don't even know who the bearded gentleman is.

The bearded gentleman would be George R R Martin. :D

Isn't your birthday not that long after Christmas? You could have the Tolkien for Christmas and the Moorcock for your birthday. :D

Isn't your birthday not that long after Christmas? You could have the Tolkien for Christmas and the Moorcock for your birthday. :D

Now there's a thought :lol:

Mind you, I'm not sure I'd get away with Christmas and my birthday without getting socks :doh:   :giggle2: