Karsa Orlong

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book #66:  Elric by Michael Moorcock

Elric_zps0a022a4e.jpg

From Amazon:

Elric of Melniboné is the haunted, treacherous and doomed albino sorcerer-prince. An introspective weakling in thrall to his black-bladed, soul-eating sword, Stormbringer, he is yet a hero whose bloody adventures and wanderings through brooding, desolate lands leads inexorably to his decisive intervention in the war between the forces of Law and Chaos. This volume brings together The Stealer of Souls and Stormbringer, the first two published books of Elric's adventures, and confirms Michael Moorcock's place as one of the most important fantasy writers of our time.

Thoughts:

I've somehow unintentionally continued with my journey back to read through some of the stories that created the sword and sorcery genre.  Apparently, Michael Moorcock created Elric of Melniboné as a response to - and reversal of - the cliches found in many The Lord of the Rings copycats, and as a direct antithesis of Robert E. Howard's Conan.  Elric is a brilliant anti-hero, allied to Chaos (much of Moorcock's work, apparently, centres on the balance between Law and Chaos), wielding a god-wrought sword of pure evil called Stormbringer, which eats the souls of its victims.  More than that, Elric - an albino and weak since birth - draws his strength from the blade and with each life it takes the stronger he gets.  Unfortunately, the sword has a mind of its own, howling as it does its work, and often controlling Elric's arm, with tragic consequences.  This symbiotic relationship is central to the tales.

There are six stories in this edition; five short stories and one novel:

The Dreaming City

While the Gods Laugh

The Stealer of Souls

Kings in Darkness

The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams

Stormbringer

Remarkably, Moorcock wrote most of this in the early 60s, when he was between the ages of 21 and 23.  What I really liked about these stories is the continuity.  Whereas the Conan stories are all standalone, can can be read in any order and don't require any previous knowledge of the character, there is a definite flow to these stories, beginning as Elric, who has been through a self-imposed exile from Melniboné, returns to take revenge upon his cousin Yyrkoon and, in so doing, reveals his treacherous side, and carrying on the tale through to a brilliant and fitting conclusion in Stormbringer, which is mooted by some to have the best ending in fantasy fiction (and it is pretty damn good!).  He is a character with issues that take the stories in directions I didn't entirely expect.

I'm not sure why I avoided reading Moorcock for so long.  Maybe it was the tacky covers of his books, that gave the impression it was pure pulp.  These stories are far from that.  His writing is excellent, his stories inventive, and his characters memorable.  There's even an excellent map.  He went on to write many other Elric stories but, by all accounts, these are the best, and I can see why they are regarded as classics.  I'll definitely be reading more of his books.

"Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance," Elric says early on in the book.  "Well, then - let it be thus so - and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melniboné and Stormbringer, his sword.  We are two of a kind - produced by an age which has deserted us.  Let us give this age cause to hate us!"

8/10

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I'm sure it's the abridged version.  Just wait till Peter Jackson gets hold of it :doh:  :giggle2:

Don't give him any ideas!! :giggle2:

Glad you enjoyed some Moorcock... :hide:

The only thing I've read of his was Behold The Man and I didn't care for it but I would give some of his proper work a go.

Glad you enjoyed some Moorcock... :hide:

I might try some Dick next :unsure:

The only thing I've read of his was Behold The Man and I didn't care for it but I would give some of his proper work a go.

I read that one a couple of years ago, too - a real oddity, and mercifully short, I thought.

I should add that my reason for reducing the Elric score to an 8 was that I felt the short stories were better than the novel, Stormbringer, which had a couple of slow patches in it.

ETA: That, plus I started Abercrombie, which puts most other fantasy books immediately in their proper place :cool::D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Not sure if you saw or not but there's a Phil Rickman book in todays Kindle Deal... You like him right?

Yeah, I do.  Thanks for the link.  I read that one earlier this year (review) and it was very good.  Well worth it at that price, if you're at all interested, although you might want to read The Bones of Avalon first (only £2.99 on Kindle at the mo).

This sounds really interesting. I like the idea of him actually being quite weak and controlled by his sword (or is that a metaphor? :unsure:).

I can see why you think Erikson was influenced by this, especially with his fascination for chaos (especially in relation to Dragnipur!). May have to put this edition on my wishlist . . . :D

Glad you're enjoying Abercrombie!

Ooh I love both westerns and Joe Applecrumble :D I am definitely getting this .. great review Steve :smile: 

Thanks! :D

But what is 'Grimdark' when its at home? :confused: 

It's this label some people are giving to the grittier, darker books in the fantasy genre, where there's lots of violence and moral ambiguity, and Joe's been saddled with it, among others.

Brilliant review Steve! I read your first two words then had to panickingly check the rating you gave it  :lol: I knew there was no way you couldn't like it.

You see why I straight away went out and bought the rest of his work. And way I felt that the First Law wasn't as good as it could of been.

So if you had to pick a favourite...?

Brilliant review Steve! I read your first two words then had to panickingly check the rating you gave it  :lol:

:giggle2:

You see why I straight away went out and bought the rest of his work. And way I felt that the First Law wasn't as good as it could of been.

Indeed, although to be fair I reckon you could have started with any of his last three books and ended up doing the same :smile:

So if you had to pick a favourite...?

I'd probably go for The Heroes, as it's the one that really got me into him, but I have to say I rate his last three books just about equally :smile:

I'm going to have to do a full re-read of all his books next year, I think.

I'd probably go for The Heroes, as it's the one that really got me into him, but I have to say I rate his last three books just about equally :smile:

Glad to hear it :)The Heroes sounded the most interesting to me, and I'm looking forward to getting round to it.

I'm going to have to do a full re-read of all his books next year, I think.

Good idea :)

Great review, Steve, glad you enjoyed it! :)

I think my main problem with this book was the shift in genre. The First Law trilogy is (more or less) 'traditional' fantasy, and Best Served Cold (which is my favourite) is just amazing. You mentioned how The Heroes is a war story and Red Country is a Western: if we're thinking in terms of movies, I dislike both these genres, which maybe explains why I didn't get as much out of these two books as others have.

What I do love about all Joe's books is their unique style and readability, and the fact that there's gritty humour even in the darkest of moments. And I totally agree with what you say about his characters and relationships: you get to know them, even when they're very minor. Even though I didn't enjoy TH or RC as much, the Applecrumble is still up there with my favourite writers.

After reading your review I really do wish I'd enjoyed this book more. Like you, I'll definitely be doing a re-read of his full works at some point (although god knows when), and hopefully I'll enjoy this (and the Heroes) more the second time round, when I know what to expect. After all, 'you have to be realistic about these things.' ;)

Great review, Steve, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Thanks! :smile:

I think my main problem with this book was the shift in genre. The First Law trilogy is (more or less) 'traditional' fantasy, and Best Served Cold (which is my favourite) is just amazing. You mentioned how The Heroes is a war story and Red Country is a Western: if we're thinking in terms of movies, I dislike both these genres, which maybe explains why I didn't get as much out of these two books as others have.

Yeah, see that's pretty much what I thought - if you're not a fan of the genre you won't get as much out of it, you just won't.  But I guess he must have known that would be the case, and I'm glad he didn't compromise on his vision in order to satisfy everyone.  Selfish, I know, but there you go! :D

What I do love about all Joe's books is their unique style and readability, and the fact that there's gritty humour even in the darkest of moments. And I totally agree with what you say about his characters and relationships: you get to know them, even when they're very minor. Even though I didn't enjoy TH or RC as much, the Applecrumble is still up there with my favourite writers.

I do think his books are more about the characters than anything else.  The stories themselves are all pretty straightforward and the depth comes through the characters and their relationships instead.  Plus he writes some of the best action scenes: the ones in Red Country took my breath away at times, they are so exciting and terrifying, too.  And the scene during the storm is so vivid.  Real 'big screen' writing, if you like :smile:

After reading your review I really do wish I'd enjoyed this book more. Like you, I'll definitely be doing a re-read of his full works at some point (although god knows when), and hopefully I'll enjoy this (and the Heroes) more the second time round, when I know what to expect. After all, 'you have to be realistic about these things.' ;)

Maybe you could watch Deadwood before you re-read Red Country.  Seriously - assuming you haven't seen it before, of course  :D 

Yeah, see that's pretty much what I thought - if you're not a fan of the genre you won't get as much out of it, you just won't.  But I guess he must have known that would be the case, and I'm glad he didn't compromise on his vision in order to satisfy everyone.  Selfish, I know, but there you go! :D

I'm glad too! Even though I personally preferred the style of the first four books, I know others (like you and Tim) much prefer the other two. I like that there's something for everyone, and that the Western/War styles might encourage people to read his other books who otherwise might not have done. :D

I do think his books are more about the characters than anything else.  The stories themselves are all pretty straightforward and the depth comes through the characters and their relationships instead. 

That's so true. That's what everyone says when they talk about his books: "I loved Logen Ninefingers!", "Glokta is my favourite character EVER!", "Bayaz is awesome!" It's always the characters that people remember; very rarely do they say "oh, yeah, he builds tension really well in THIS scene", etc. I love character-driven stories so much. I think it's part of why I loved the Broken Empire, because it gets you really invested in the main character.

(Speaking of the BE: voting is open for the final round of the Goodreads Choice Awards, and Emperor of Thorns is in the final ten for Best Fantasy! :D)

Maybe you could watch Deadwood before you re-read Red Country.  Seriously - assuming you haven't seen it before, of course  :D 

I've never seen it or heard of it before! At first I thought you meant Torchwood, and got confused. :D

So I got a little confused with the titles being mentioned by joe Abercrombie, am I correct in assuming the best place to start with his books is The Heroes? Sorry for asking, my mind is barely functioning at the moment, so I'm a tad confused.