JackM Crime 2013

dex

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm Suffering with too many annikas in my life at the moment. Liza Marklund has got a main character called it, There was an error in my version of Prime Time, Where a character called Anne gets called annika. Also in the Camilla Lackberg books there's a police officer called Annika.

I'm actually quite partial to that name and almost named my little girl that :D

Have a good reading year dex :)

Is Lawrence Block's - Matthew scudder series like Jo nesbo's - Headhunters, or does it have Multiple points of view?

I'm reading The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg now and I'm finding the chapters really long. I liked this book but the chapters didn't fit my reading rate, There always seemed to be another5 or 6 pages till the end of the chapters than I wanted to read.

Edited by dex

I'm reading The Gathering Storm by Brandon Sanderson. I'm enjoying it so far and have just finished chapter 23. The two plot points I've enjoyed so far involve Faile at the start of the book, and Cadsuane in chapter 23. He seems to be moving it on quite well. He needs to sort out the Tower now he's set out the position with the Seanchan. So with a bit of waffling they have finally moved the plot on re: the tower. I think overall they have done a good job with this book. I've no idea how much was Sanderson. The only problem if you're reading from the start would be the constant presence of helpful darkfriends or black ajah. Always there! Lucky. There is a tendancy to waffle as well. I've enjoyed overall and am now starting Towers of Midnight.

Edited by dex

I'm reading Towers of Midnight by Brandon Sanderson. :-) Yes , but I'm only at the part about Apples.

Well the first 100 pages are read and it's time for the whitecloaks to have a sort out. With a few appearances from Rand and the Aes Sedai. Mat and the band are trying to get into contact with Elayne, while she is trying to sort out her own rule of andor and potential takeover of caemlyn. Perrin's mentioned travelling to Cairhein.Things seem to be coming together well. Egwene continues to sort the tower out aswell. Page 200. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm on page 332, A choice. Everyone still faffing about. just about to start chapter 23, Matt's finding out about the tower of ghenji from birgitte. Maighdin needs to decide wether she's going to reveal herself to help perrin. It's taking too long for the alliances to be made between various parties. It's gone slow for me. Perrins trying to control the wolf dream, Gawyn is trying to get the younglings to be tower guards. Rand's trying to bring order to a city in a couple of days. They seem to have got into a lot of technicalities they didn't need to. I've got to chapter 39 now and a lot of the details for alliances have been worked out ,but they still haven't happened yet. I'm on chapter 44 now Working Leather. This has suffered from the need to cover all the other charactrers with token appearances from Rand which have seemed forced in the case of the blight one. With so many characters and plotlines to finish BS seems to have made them too complicated for the sake of it.

Edited by dex

The nice lady at work who I introduced to both Stuart Macbride and Michael Connelly, keeps buying the hardbacks. This is why I always forget whether or not I have them on my shelf. Today she offered to lend me one and because I've just started Towers of Midnight, I said I'd maybe borrow it in a couple of weeks. She's going to borrow Rebus from me. Closer To The Bone - Stuart Macbride.

Edited by dex

Do you ever get a different impression of a character to other people. My reading partner says DI Steele, from the Logan Macrae books is Skinny, but I didn't get that impression.

I guess it is all very individual, dex. When reading Elizabeth George, the inspector Lynley novels, I always simply imagine him with dark hair, a la his TV  actor, similarly I imagine Havers with those big , big eyes. Thanks for this thread, must venture into crime stories again soon.