dex

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I've just started A Memory of Light By Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan
The delights of Email addresses and not updating them. The book was apparently there for a couple of weeks just waiting to be read. They'd almost sent it back. The second daft thing was, The reserved books are on of course a seperate shelf and I was told to help myself mmm. Had some trouble finding it as they were stacked on the shelf Pages out! Nobody put books that way on a shelf, do they? Of course it was only after seeing all the other books I want to read first and one of the librarians checking it hadn't been reshelved that we found it, Oh well got it now.
I've got to page 200 and am enjoying it. The plot seems to be pulling together and action is being taken.
I actually lugged the breezeblock to work today and seem to have read an extra 18 pages, so I am at chapter 16. Judas Priest it was action packed. I think this is where the action from Towers of Midnight went.
Woke up early and read to chapter 19, So I'll save the effort of taking something else thick and heavy to work.
I've got to chapter 25 now and it is flowing quite nicely.
I'm on chapter 33 and Mat has now come to the forefront.
I'm about to start chapter 36 ,Unchageable things. Yet more helpful darkfriends have turned up, Surely if their were so many in the first place, they should have won by now. The Last battle is a long one, A 190page chapter. Where did that idea come from?
Wow what a bloody chapter, it was quite a relief to finish it and to be able to kill the rest of the book off. 10.30pm 26th, 64 pages left.
00.15 app. Finished.

Edited by dex

If the next book I read was Close to the Bone, A book I'm looking forward to. Would The Hunger games be a good next choice?
Well I've read the first hundred pages and it's not grabbed me yet.
He's tried to do a big shock to the system and all I'm thinking is How long has Logan lived in a caravan? As it's been so long since I read a Mcrae book. I also can't remember if Steele's girlfriend took a rennie for her indigestion or not.

There was too much Book reading going on at the start for me, everyone was doing it. A film is being made and a character is reading the book it was based on, then the police start reading the book and independently Logan is reading a different book to his girlfriend. Then the police are also reading a diary which may or may not be a work of fiction. It does settle down after a bit towards the end, will finish it tonight. Maybe I should have read the previous book again first.

Edited by dex

post-8563-0-14220600-1363979201_thumb.jpg

I'm going to try The Hunger Games next. I've taken a day off from reading today.
I started it Saturday morning and couldn't put it down, Sunday 19.17 got 14 pages left. I've enjoyed this book , It's quite fast paced and easy to read. It reminded me of Lord of the Flies andThe Running Man. Mockingjay is a continuation of Catching Fire and the two books form their own sequence.

I enjoyed the set overall, but I didn't think much of the ending.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try Linwood Barclay next, Too close to home page 100 ish. Grisham so far, Yes.

It was similar to the early grisham novels at the start, then it slowed down a bit as he introduced quite a few characters in one go. He also had quite a few plotlines running aswell. I did enjoy it but I think he tried to make it too complicated.

Fear The Worst, It was written from the point of view of a car salesman searching for his missing daughter, again he seemed to add too many plotlines. I did enjoy reading it, but it did get a bit daft at the end.

Edited by dex

I was looking at my bookshelves yesterday, for books that I won't read again. The only ones I could find were The Soul Collector and other. I took them to work to see if they find a home. I couldn't get rid of attempted authors as I want to give Lackberg and even Kerley 1 more chance. I also took the hunger games back and they are now onto their third reader since being brought in.

Edited by dex

I'm reading Fear The Worst by Linwood Barclay now, Its similar in theme to Too Close To Home. The premise is that a man's daughter has disappeared off the face of the earth and he has to find her. 

*Book recommendations*

For a fan of Stephen King, Clive Cussler (Not Co-ahthored), Chris Ryan, Andy Mcnab (Biographies like the iranian embassy siege, Sport .

Would read something like Terry Goodkind, but not G O T.

A definitely unrepentant Old Villain, With a KINDLE.

(Vic Crowe, Ron Saunders, Tony Barton EC.)

Edited by dex

All I can suggest is perhaps giving the literature map a go - it can be useful.

Fantastic Fiction also has that bit at the bottom of the page where the author may have recommended books and lists what other people where looking at at the same time that they visited that page - an indication of similar books / authors in most cases.

Any use?

Gave Roger, Darkly Dreaming Dexter to try over the easter break, He wants to try the next one now. He said it had a good story all the way through. He's going to be reading some Vampire books by Jim Butcher next.

Edited by dex

I'm enjoying reading The Stonecutter by Camilla Lackberg at the moment. After each long chapter there's a short one in which the past is being discussed. This allows me to recover from the amount of information included in the large chapters. It's a better read than the first two.

Edited by dex

post-8563-0-50111100-1365182259_thumb.jpg

I'm going to finish reading The Stone Cutter, Then I will read Double Dexter which is a library book and go back to Camilla Lackberg after.  :readingtwo:  :smile:

Double dexter, I've got to chapter 16 and Debs seems to have solved her case. Dexter has been followed by someone throughout the book. With all the characters who aren't dead, compared to the tv series his life is quite complicated.
This is a set I need to re-read. I've watched the tv series so many times that the books deserve another read through. 

Edited by dex

There is a new female officer either married to a psychologist or is just pretending as they may be siblings.

Camilla Lackberg - The Stranger, This is also a book that seems to be concentrating on personal relationships, rather than plot. Erica's planning her wedding with Anna's help as she gets over what she did to Lucas. Mellberg the useless boss fancies someone and Patrik has a possible murder case that has been made to look accidental.
They now seem to be on the trail of a serial killer, but the big brother storyline is leaving me cold. The book does get better the further you get into it, but it isn't one of her best efforts.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

Roger's reading Dexter Is Delicious and has enjoyed the series. I've lent him the Morse series by Colin Dexter to read next. The lady at work is reading the last short rebus at the moment and although she likes the character, she doesn't like some of the storylines i.e. Hypnosis and Terrorists. She has enjoyed the Bible John storyline.
I'm enjoying what I've read of The Hidden Child so far.

Edited by dex

I've just started The Drowning by Camilla Lackberg. Overall the set has been a good read both story and characterwise , Just like Resnick and his sandwiches the constant arrival of Babies has bothered me. They are well written, but poorly presented with overlong chapters (personal preference).

Edited by dex

What is it with Camilla Lackberg and babies, even a witness has had to dash off now because his grandaughter is having one. Fallbacka must be the Baby capital of the world.Patrick is going to be the first ever male to give birth, bet you £10.

Edited by dex

I first found out about Dexter from the Showtime series. When I found out that there were also books, I checked them out. The first season is very much like the first book. There are plotlines or asides that the series has picked up on that jeff hasn't expanded on.
post-8563-0-61911400-1369167647_thumb.jpg

Dexter has been affected at a young age by events not under his control, He hasn't learned how to relate to the outside world. Harry has given him a set of rules to control his impulses to kill, This is played more obviously in the Tv series with Harry appearing to Dex, than the books where it is Dex remembering.

Started Darkly Dreaming Dexter and am 1/2 way through app 1pm. The sun's got to me so I've gone out.
I think the 1st two books are great. They do follow a formula of Dexter being a well organised forensically savvy vigilante, whilst also trying to learn how to fit in with normal life.

I really enjoyed reading these two again. They also differ from the series as to who knows about Dex and when.

In the previous two books Dex has been confident and aware of any of his failings. In the third book he suddenly becomes a weaker character, when someone with a darker passenger arrives, this turns the book into a standard crime thriller and not a Dex book, imo.
Wedding plans i.e. caterers etc. Big Scary enemy, weird explanation of Dark Passenger at start, Dexter not doing a lot.
Weird. This is played more subtley in the Tv series when Dexter isn't immediately overpowered by the enemy.

Dexter By Design, Is a return to form and is a good read, It talks more of how Harry has controled Dex's impulses to kill, Being sure who has done the crime and having proof is the priority.
100 pages sunday morning, another 160 since. 90 pages to go chapter 29.) 23.15 Monday. Really enjoyed this one, it's as good as the first two imo.
I don't know about timings of the tv series to the books, but Jeff does make some comments on their plotlines,like the one at the end of this book about the use of a hammer.

Dexter Is Delicious. Dexter's new child is a girl, Lily Anne as opposed to a boy Harrison on the Tv series. Still at least they got one name right. Dex is trying to sort out his life, with his newly discovered feelings for His own child, he is going to try and sort out Astor and Cody. Almost immediately he senses he is being watched by someone and both Astor and Cody pick up on it aswell. The case he looks into is about two missing teenage girls. I enjoyed this book, it has surprises from the start and was a good read until the end.

Edited by dex

• 3 weeks later...