Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Hi Frankie  :006: Just caught up with your news. The translating job sounds fantastic & the fact that you're able to do it wherever your living is definitely a bonus. The guy sounds like an all or nothing sort of person to me, people like that are usually very insecure & tend to be a bit smothering so i think your better off keeping your distance. 

I so wish the translating job worked out... I mean I haven't thought about translating in ages, but I think I might quite like it, actually. As long as I could work out the vocabulary, of course, but that's just part of the job, I'd have to figure it out :)

Yeah, I agree about the fella. Good riddance!

The translating job sounds awesome :)!

I agree with everyone else, probably best you're rid of this guy.

Agreed! Very much so :)

My friend still has one week of holidays, so after that she can talk to her boss. I'll be meeting her sometime next week, I think I'll ask about the thing again.

On another note: And this is very much off-topic, no books involved! I met a guy at a bar the Friday before last and talked to him a lot, but didn't fancy him at all... Anyhow, he texted me last Sunday and I agreed to go out with him. And it turned out he was actually quite nice and I think our moral values and all the important stuff was the same, eventhough I don't think we generally have that much in common... I texted him the next day saying I'd like to meet him again, and was getting quite nervous when I didn't hear from him, but in the end he texted that it would be nice to see me, and could we arrange the details in the beginning of next weekend.

I had a text from him just an hour or two ago, asking me out next Tuesday. :blush: Bloody hell!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed :) I have no idea where this is going, but I'll try and enjoy the ride, and like you said, if we end up as only friends, I'll still have more than I started out with :shrug::)

That is exactly the way to look at it frankie.  I say this from experience both ways. :D

That is exactly the way to look at it frankie.  I say this from experience both ways. :D

What I like about him is that he did contact me when I gave him my number Friday night (men never usually do :rolleyes:), then he asked me out, and eventhough he said he doesn't read books, it turns out that he does read biographies and some non-fiction. Poppyshake might be interested in knowing that the next book he's going to read is David Bowie's bio :D

Also, he's mentioned his parents quite a few times, as well as his sister and sister's daughter. I like it in a man that he has good relations with his family :)

And he still owns a VCR and watches his old movies on it :D

(Never mind that he has quite a nice bod... I mean honestly, I've not been neeeeked with him, but from the looks of it, him having his clothes on, he does look nice :giggle2: I know that's nothing to go by, as far as seeking the one and only, but it's a bonus :giggle2:)

:rolol:  Bonus is a good thing.

And, seriously, the parents thing is an excellent indicator of good character.

It's the kind of thing I wouldn't have given a second thought when I was much younger, but these days I take that well into consideration :yes: He's actually godfather to his sister's daughter, and he spoke quite fondly of her :) When I was at his apartment on Friday, I found this funny little game thingy I used to have as a kid, and I played with it, and last Tuesday I mentioned it and he said he'd bought the same game for his goddaughter :) I have no idea what the game's called in Finnish, let alone English...

Oh they were all the rage over here in Finland, too!!! :lol: I've seen them at stores every now and then and have quite fancied buying one... :blush: I wish I still had mine from my childhood!!

What do you call those in English, though? Some type of puzzle, I presume, from chesil's comment?

I can't remember what they were called, other than the generic "Puzzle" game.

I've just asked a few childhood friends about it on FB, and they've come up with nothing re: the name :shrug: Smart Americans, knowing what to call it :D

I used to love those puzzles but I don't remember them having a name. I just googled and found 'sliding block puzzle' or sliding tile puzzle'. That would work!

Oddly enough I used those same words when I was searching for them, but in Finnish and came up with nothing. I had to switch to English and then I found quite quickly what I was looking for :shrug::)

Great news about the man you met! I hope it goes well, he sounds like a really nice person :).

We have such puzzles here too, though I don't remember what they were called. I haven't seen them in ages, I presume they may still be around though for today's kids (I haven't seen any in the toy shop but I haven't looked for it. Is it odd, sometimes I go into a toy shop, not only to look at the video games and dvds etc. (the adult stuff) but sometimes it's nice to look at the kids' stuff too and reminisce about what it was like when I was a child.).

Poppyshake might be interested in knowing that the next book he's going to read is David Bowie's bio :D

He has excellent book/music tastes and obviously excellent taste in women :) .. what with the nice body and caring nature etc he sounds quite perfect but obviously I don't know about his toast preferences .. you might be wise to check that out frankie ;) 

Great news about the man you met! I hope it goes well, he sounds like a really nice person :).

We have such puzzles here too, though I don't remember what they were called. I haven't seen them in ages, I presume they may still be around though for today's kids (I haven't seen any in the toy shop but I haven't looked for it. Is it odd, sometimes I go into a toy shop, not only to look at the video games and dvds etc. (the adult stuff) but sometimes it's nice to look at the kids' stuff too and reminisce about what it was like when I was a child.).

It appears there are no global/cultural boundaries, these games are everywhere :D I don't see them everywhere, but sometimes I can catch a sight of them... I think it's lovely that you will pop in just to have a look and think about your childhood... It's like a cheap way to rejuvenate oneself :giggle2:

He has excellent book/music tastes and obviously excellent taste in women :) .. what with the nice body and caring nature etc he sounds quite perfect but obviously I don't know about his toast preferences .. you might be wise to check that out frankie ;) 

I knew you'd appreciate the David Bowie thing :D He said DB is one of his favorites. And he likes to listen to some 70s stuff. 80s, if he had to choose between 80s and 90s, which is not what I would choose, but I'll let it slide... ;):D

He also seems like a gentleman, because when we were at a bar and he asked me if I'd like to have another one and talk a bit more before going home, he was offering to pay for my drink. I didn't let him, I'm modern that way, but I appreciate it that he offered. He also offered to pay for my coffee on our date but I respectfully declined :)

I have to ask him about toast... Although I wonder if he'll find that a bit odd :D

My friend was over for a bit of gossip and stuff (coffee! Never too hot to drink coffee :D) and we talked about the translating job... I asked if she was still going to suggest it to her boss(es) and she said yes. She said she'd suggest it as a uni trainee position, and that in that way they wouldn't be expecting too much of me. They've done things like that before, although maybe not with translators, but maybe they have. I asked her how long she thought they would think it would take a person to translate a 20 pages long article, for instance. In my head I thought if it's only two days, there's no way in hell I could do it. Not when I don't know the vocabulary. She gave it a long hard think and said 'maybe a month?'. And I thought, if that's the case, and even if it's half as long as that, I wouldn't have a problem! Wow.... Crap, I'm getting quite excited about the prospect, and I fear I shouldn't because I fear I might jinx it by thinking about it too much... Yikes!

Edited by frankie

I hope the best for you, frankie ^_^!!

I don't know about Finnish, it'd take me longer than two days to translate a Dutch article into English, but less than a month (assuming I work 38 hours per week, which I couldn't do because of my disability but anyway..). I think I'd be able to do it in 38-76 hours worth (or one-two weeks worth if you work full-time), if the article contains some complicated words and sentences. If it's easily written with very common words, I could do it faster. I'm not a professional translator though! :blush:

I think professional translators would do several times more checking to make sure everything's perfect-ish, whereas when I translate things I don't check it as often (just once or twice afterwards). Btw, the more you translate (and the more often you do it), the easier it becomes! In my opinion. I help my dad translate some of his writings, now and then (and also of course for secondary school).

Okay, there's no reason to prolong this so let's just get it out and in the open: had a call from dude just now, and he said quite early on and quite bluntly that he's not into me in that way. :shrug: Apparently there's no chemistry. I thought our date was great yesterday and I felt chemistry, but obviously it must've been onesided :shrug: I didn't really want to get into why, because there's really no reasoning behind the matters of heart, and it wouldn't change a thing. I'm happy he told me very honestly about it and so early on :)

I think it's going to be just books, dogs and jogging for me from now on, I've had quite enough of men for a while ;)