Frankie reads 2013

frankie

It just sounds like common sense parenting to me!

My children didn't misbehave in restaurants - they slept through the night - my son by nine months (he was 6 weeks premature and the medical professionals said he'd do 'milestones' according to his due date) and my daughter by six months - they didn't tantrum in the playground or interrupt me on the phone...

They are great teenagers too - no "Kevin the Teenager" (a Harry Enfield character) tendencies.

I very much think it comes down to how people go about parenting and French parents don't have the exclusive ability to be good ones!

Just my opinion though. :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope nobody thinks that what I'm saying is that all American and British parents are bad parents. That's definitely not what I'm saying! I don't think it's what the author's trying to say either. I think she just genuinely likes the calm and rational ideas of the French people she's met.

And yes, it's really all common sense, I'm not denying that. But I'm one of those people who've not had any children so I have no first hand experience in what to do with kids when they are actually there 24/7. And I do think that I probably might go for an over-worrying approach if I didn't check myself and try and stay calm.

I hope nobody thinks that what I'm saying is that all American and British parents are bad parents.

No, not at all - it does sounds like that's what she's saying though! :)

I can only speak for myself, but having suffered from bad postnatal depression with my eldest, I clung to Dr Miriam Stoppard's baby manual until my husband threw it in the bin when our son was about 5 months old, reminding me that babies neither come with an instruction manual, nor have they read one!

I guess books like this have their place but different children respond to different methods/parenting styles and books like this could actually prevent parents from relaxing and enjoying their children. :)

Phew! It has taken me ages to catch up on this thread. You've been a busy gal, Frankie. :)

I'm really glad you enjoyed Valley of the Dolls. I look forward to reading it even more now. I really like the cover artwork on your copy of the book as well. :) Even though I haven't read Peyton Place either (yet!), I have always linked both books in my mind because they seem a bit similar, so I'm glad they're both excellent reads. Ooh, and I recently bought Valley of the Dolls on DVD, but I didn't realise Sharon Tate was in it! Awesome. Now I really, really need to read the book soon so I can watch the movie.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the Stephen King and Graham Greene books. :( I loved your review for Thinner ('So there.' :D). I thought Greene would be one of those authors whose books were all hits and no misses, but I have no idea why I would think that. Has it put you off reading other books by him? Have you read others in the past? I've only read The Third Man & The Fallen Idol by him (two short novellas). I mostly bought it because The Third Man is one of my all-time favourite movies, and I wasn't disappointed by the book. I thought they were both great stories. I have a few other books by him, and I'm hoping they'll be just as good, but I think I'll avoid the one you reviewed.

I'm not going to chime in on the parenting debate, but I will say, Frankie, that I think I would be an over-worrying parent too. And I would hate myself for it, but I bet I wouldn't be able to change. *rolls eyes* Oh, and as a monolingual person, if I ever had kids, I would really encourage them to learn at least one other language.

I'm glad to see you haven't completely given up on buying books. ;) I was worrying about you for a while! Sorry to hear about your bookcase. Did you have to throw out the entire bookcase because of one shelf? Have you found another place for your books? Oh, and what's the Australia and Oceania book that you're referring to? That wasn't something you bought in Australia, was it?

Regarding Steve's comment about Liverpool, it might help if you think of Liverpool as being very, very similar to my home town in terms of the type of people who live there. ;) I felt very 'at home' when I visited Liverpool because they're my type of people (she says, proudly). So leave 'em alone, Steve. :P *shakes fist menacingly*

I learnt Indonesian in primary school, and Italian in Highschool. Sadly due to my memory issues I was unable to retain Indonesian after I left primary school.

Sadly since my father passed away, I understand Italian more than I can speak it now.

No, not at all - it does sounds like that's what she's saying though! :)

I can only speak for myself, but having suffered from bad postnatal depression with my eldest, I clung to Dr Miriam Stoppard's baby manual until my husband threw it in the bin when our son was about 5 months old, reminding me that babies neither come with an instruction manual, nor have they read one! )

This really tickled me! He's right of course, I've just got this great image of him binning it with a flourish!

Yeah.  They're called Scousers :giggle2:  ;)

:giggle2:

I've not had time to fully concentrate on getting back to the posts on here, have had to run errands and stuff.

I'm off to Lahti in one hour, I'm traveling with my uni friend, who's big on books and reading so I expect to get loads of recommendations, and get to do a good big book talk :D I'm also giving her my copy of Elizabeth Flock's Me & Emma which I just recently re-read and loved, but I don't think I'm going to read it again. I think she might like the book, we have a rather similar taste.

She was actually the one to recommend me Augusten Burroughs's Running with Scissors, come to think of it!! :o That led to a whole lot of awesomeness :)

I'll be staying at her place today, and leave for Helsinki tomorrow or the day after. She has a great big bookcase full of books, I can't wait to see what she's bought since my last visit!

In Helsinki I expect to do a bit of secondhand bookshopping... :blush: Not too much! I'll also be going on a cruise to Stockholm with two gal pals, and coincidentally it's a 90s cruise so they'll be playing good music :D I can't wait!

I'll be back to Joensuu next Saturday. I might pop in a few times to see what's up, but I don't expect to have much time for that.

I'll be leaving to the tune of this 90s gem....

Just Love the Wizards of the Sonic!! What a great beat.  Thanks for posting it. :D

Even though you prolly won't see this, have a fantastic time!  :snowballfight:  :rolol:

Oh, lest I forget.....I found the Robert Goddard books at last!! Hurrah! :readingtwo:

Have a fun and safe trip Frankie! Happy book shopping too, cant wait to see what you get. :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Fun has been had by yours truly! Lahti was great, and Helsinki's been treating me good so far. 

I went to three secondhand bookshops today, there were about 15 books I wanted to buy but bought only the absolute must-buy ones:

Hand Me Down World by Lloyd Jones (a First Tuesday Book Club book)

Keltaiset krokotiilin silmät by Katherine Pancol (Eleonora, yay, I found a cheap copy of the first book in the series! :D)

En komikers uppväxt & Ett ufo gör entré by Jonas Gardell

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

These for 7e. 

• 2 weeks later...