Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Thanks everyone! :)

Fun has been had by yours truly! Lahti was great, and Helsinki's been treating me good so far. 

I went to three secondhand bookshops today, there were about 15 books I wanted to buy but bought only the absolute must-buy ones:

Hand Me Down World by Lloyd Jones (a First Tuesday Book Club book)

Keltaiset krokotiilin silmät by Katherine Pancol (Eleonora, yay, I found a cheap copy of the first book in the series! :D)

En komikers uppväxt & Ett ufo gör entré by Jonas Gardell

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

These for 7e. 

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the two English books. I still haven't read Mister Pip yet, which I recall you enjoyed a lot. I have to admit that I can't remember this being on FTBC, so I can't remember anyone's opinions of it.

I also have A Game of Thrones and have been intimidated to read it. But I recently watched the TV show and now that I know what to expect, I don't think I'll be daunted. It'll help that I already know who the characters are. :) And the show is excellent.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you like the show, you'll like the book too I think! I love the book more than the show (mainly because of the fact that there's less violence and nudity in it). The book explains some things better than the show does, in my opinion. It has some extra scenes not shown in the show that really add to it. I hope you like the book :) (both of you!).

I went to three secondhand bookshops today, there were about 15 books I wanted to buy but bought only the absolute must-buy ones:  

I wish i could be as sensible as you Frankie  :D

If you like the show, you'll like the book too I think! I love the book more than the show (mainly because of the fact that there's less violence and nudity in it). The book explains some things better than the show does, in my opinion. It has some extra scenes not shown in the show that really add to it. I hope you like the book :) (both of you!).

I must admit i rather like the violence & nudity  :blush2:  I do sometimes get confused as to who is who in the series though so perhaps i'd get a better grip of the story if i was to read it  :smile:

I'm very far behind on people's reading logs, as well as my own (I'm not people... :hide: )

That's great, frankie! Storm Front is on my wishlist too. It's a shame your library doesn't have it ><. It's not nice that the one you found is the thirteenth book in the series (personally, I think it'd be helpful if they printed that kind of information on the cover or on one of the first pages in the book), I guess now at least you have it for a cheap price. I hope you find the other ones too (cheap too maybe?), so you can read the whole series (at some point at least). Maybe you could ask some books for your birthday? (I'm not sure when your birthday is tbh :blush:, it might be a long time until then :doh:)

Have you read any of the Dexter books, Athena? Just something I wondered because someone said the two series has some similarities (the Dresden Files series being fantasy, though). If you enjoy a bit of dark humour, macabre and crime novels, you might like it :cool:

It's one of my pet peeves that books do not list the books in the series somewhere inside the book, or at least say how manyeth that particular book is on the series :doh:  And some books have mentioned the other books, but they have listed them in an alphabetical or some random order. Who's that going to help anyone?? But yes, like you said, at least I got the copy cheap :) I think I'll be able to find cheap secondhand copies on play.com or somewhere when I finally want to get down to reading the series, so no worries :)

My Birthday isn't until mid December, unfortunately! Last year was the first time that my parents ordered books for me as pressies from some online bookshop, before that I didn't get books for years because they don't have any bookshops where my parents live, and the ones in the supermarket are ridiculously expensive. I'd tried telling them they could buy books online for years, but it wasn't until last Christmas that Mum got the hang of online book shopping :giggle2: She's been really at it ever since then, though! Whenever I go and visit she tells me 'oh I just ordered a few books again from the website' :D So I think it worked out very well for me ;) but also very splendidly for her, too!

Edited by frankie

Phew! It has taken me ages to catch up on this thread. You've been a busy gal, Frankie. :)

Naah, you're just procrastinating in other ways and don't come here often enough. We want our Kylie back!! *shakes fist menacingly* :lol:

I'm really glad you enjoyed Valley of the Dolls. I look forward to reading it even more now. I really like the cover artwork on your copy of the book as well. :) Even though I haven't read Peyton Place either (yet!), I have always linked both books in my mind because they seem a bit similar, so I'm glad they're both excellent reads. Ooh, and I recently bought Valley of the Dolls on DVD, but I didn't realise Sharon Tate was in it! Awesome. Now I really, really need to read the book soon so I can watch the movie.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sort of pairs these two books up together in their mind! I hesitate to talk too well about the books, though, because I don't know if you'll like them, if they're your thing (because I wasn't sure they'd be my thing either, before I read them!), but I have to say I really enjoyed them. I hope you do, too! :) I'm jealous of the VotD DVD. I wish I was there and we could watch it together :friends3:

Have you read the Manson book already, by the way? I forget :blush:

I think I want to buy the original English copies of these books at some point, but I don't think I could give up my Finnish copies, though. I've been thinking that maybe I could take them to Nurmes and stash them in my room there :D

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the Stephen King and Graham Greene books. :( I loved your review for Thinner ('So there.' :D). I thought Greene would be one of those authors whose books were all hits and no misses, but I have no idea why I would think that. Has it put you off reading other books by him? Have you read others in the past? I've only read The Third Man & The Fallen Idol by him (two short novellas). I mostly bought it because The Third Man is one of my all-time favourite movies, and I wasn't disappointed by the book. I thought they were both great stories. I have a few other books by him, and I'm hoping they'll be just as good, but I think I'll avoid the one you reviewed.

Sometimes 'So there.' is all one can say :lol: I don't think you were too wrong when you thought that his books were 'all hits and no misses', you just have to take out the word 'no' out of that equation... :giggle2: Seriously speaking, I think I read in the introduction that this was his last book (?) and the critics weren't too impressed by it :shrug: I've read Travels with Aunt but I don't think I enjoyed that one all that much, either... But I've never really had keen interest on Greene anyway, so I'm not that bothered. I think I'd find a bio on the man himself a lot more engaging. They had this course on him and his books years back at the uni, my friend took the course and said it was bloody interesting.

I'm not going to chime in on the parenting debate, but I will say, Frankie, that I think I would be an over-worrying parent too. And I would hate myself for it, but I bet I wouldn't be able to change. *rolls eyes* Oh, and as a monolingual person, if I ever had kids, I would really encourage them to learn at least one other language.

I think you might find the book interesting and insightful, you not being American, British or French. And I believe you could change if you really wanted to, if you ever had children :yes: I think having a baby changes everything per se, in the first place, so who knows, maybe you'd be a natural and you'd be amazed by what a lax Mum you turned out to be :yes:

I'm glad to see you haven't completely given up on buying books. ;) I was worrying about you for a while! Sorry to hear about your bookcase. Did you have to throw out the entire bookcase because of one shelf? Have you found another place for your books? Oh, and what's the Australia and Oceania book that you're referring to? That wasn't something you bought in Australia, was it?

Actually I'm on a book buying ban now :D I just decided that yesterday. I realised that although I've read far more books this year than I've actually acquired, I have only read 30 books of TBR pile, and so far I've acquired 29 books :rolleyes: So things haven't been balancing out at all.

Funny you should ask about the bookcase, because I had some real problems with it a few days ago :D Another shelf came off, and then I noticed a third one wasn't too far behind.... It was bloody awful! I also noticed that the rear panel wasn't in its place anymore and when I talked about the condition with a friend of mine, we figured that the rear panel is probably the cause of the shelves coming down and he told me to get hammering. That did the trick :D So now I can use the bookcase again, but this time I've put only one row of books (light paperbacks) on the shelves that have come down.

The Australia & Oceania book, I think I PMd you about it months ago. It's a geography book from the 70s or so :D Great pics ;)

Regarding Steve's comment about Liverpool, it might help if you think of Liverpool as being very, very similar to my home town in terms of the type of people who live there. ;) I felt very 'at home' when I visited Liverpool because they're my type of people (she says, proudly). So leave 'em alone, Steve. :P *shakes fist menacingly*

Yeah, Kylie and I are bloody proud of our boganism!

:giggle2:

Edited by frankie

Just Love the Wizards of the Sonic!! What a great beat.  Thanks for posting it. :D

It was a pleasure :D Was it a familiar song to you, have you heard it before or was this your first time?

Awesome! :)

I look forward to hear what you think of A Game of Thrones when you read it, since I'm reading that atm.

It might be a long time before I get to it, because I know the series is not complete yet, and it's one helluva big book :giggle:

I

Is that you in your profile pic?

Don't mind Karsa, he knows nothing. Yes, I was the beautiful gal in the picture :yes:

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the two English books. I still haven't read Mister Pip yet, which I recall you enjoyed a lot. I have to admit that I can't remember this being on FTBC, so I can't remember anyone's opinions of it.

You should get to reading Mister Pip, missy! :)  I don't remember much about what was said about Hand Me Down World... Or who was the one recommending it... But could it have been one of the guests on the show, when they were going through which books they would read during the summer? Or which book they are currently reading or have just read? If I remember correctly, the person talking about the book said that it's told in a backwards order: going from present to past.

I wish i could be as sensible as you Frankie  :D

I've not always been as sensible as this.... I think my TBR speaks for that... But that's why I'm trying to be very sensible these days! :giggle:

I must admit i rather like the violence & nudity  :blush2:  I do sometimes get confused as to who is who in the series though so perhaps i'd get a better grip of the story if i was to read it  :smile:

:D Hurrah for violence and naked people!

I had a really great trip. I felt so relaxed and happy, like I was on a holiday (which I suppose I kind of was). I talked about books with my Lahti friend, and also about my possible future move to the city... I've only just kind of recently realised what a good friend this person is to me, and I appreciate her friendship so much these days. We weren't always so close, I felt like I couldn't talk to her about certain things, but some things have changed and now I know I can talk to her about anything and she has such sound advice. And these days we are on the same wave length, too. I think this time I spent with her kind of cemented our friendship, at least for me :)

Helsinki was also great! The friends I have over there are the ones I've been friends with the longest. When I got to Helsinki on Monday, I was really tired by having having to haul all my stuff around and walk to my friend's flat, and almost decided against going to secondhand bookshops. Can you believe it? :o Anyhow, I sat down and rested for a bit and then got my act together and went to three different secondhand bookshops. One of the ones I've always gone to had closed down, but there was a new one right across the road so I popped in. What a great place! The shop keeper greeted with a huge smile when I went in, and boy he was rather good looking :giggle: Tall and handsome, great smile, and long hair. I browsed and found a lot of books I wanted to take home but they were a bit pricey for my taste, so I left empty handed. But I did say 'bye bye' as I was leaving, and got another huge smile :D Swoon! I told my friends about the shop and they said they have to go in some time.

Then me and my two long time close gal friends went on a cruise to Stockholm. I'd forgotten how much fun cruises are if you're with friends and not family... What was also great was that there were so many different nationalities represented there! I spotted a Danish couple, my friend konnichiwa'd a Japanese couple, we talked to a Swedish old man who had no idea how to work the elevator... He was exiting the elevator way before his floor and I yelled to him to come back and not leave our company in Swedish :D He said 'no there's no way I'll leave you' and mumbled something about hell... :D I also talked to the cruise troubadour who was African American and played rock and blues.

Oh, and I came across with some Brits, too! I was in the smoking room when in came 4-5 people who started talking really fast in British English and I just had to go over and ask them where they come from. They were all Londoners. We talked about different accents, and one of the girls started teaching me English phrases in different accents and dialects. It was fun :D They were really nice.

What else... When I got back from the cruise, I was really tired after not much sleep, so I stayed in and when my friend came home we just watched Shameless, the US version, which he absolutely loves, and I have to say, I was completely hooked by that one episode I watched! I told him we could watch more if he wanted... and ended up watching four eps altogether :)

Anyhow. Altogether, a fantastic trip! :)

On another note... I've thought about registering on a dating website for sometime now, and I got a bit of a confidence boost on my trip to south, so I finally plucked up the courage to sign up. That was two weeks ago. I got about 10 or so PMs in the first week, but they were all very generic, and it seemed like none of them had actually even read through my profile. In my ad I did say I like reading and I study languages so I do appreciate a fellow who can write normal sentences with capitals in the beginning and a period at the end. The PMs I got were lacking in this department, and they were also very basic 'hello you sound nice/look nice I wanna get to know you' type of thing :rolleyes:

So I kinda already thought that okay, this is not for me. However, this Monday I got a PM from a local guy who said he'd decided to PM me because there were quite a few things in my ad that sounded good, and that he also likes it when people can write, and like to write. We also have music in common. It was a really nice PM! I went to check out his profile after that and he sounds good on paper :) I knew I had to write back to him... I was really nervous about what to write, but on the other hand we seem to have a lot in common so it was easy to think of things to write. So I already got back to him, and to my surprise he'd already written back to me today :) He wrote a rather long PM, which I really appreciated, and there were a lot of interesting stuff in it.... I'll have to write back to him at some point, of course. But it feels weird that I actually got a nice PM from someone! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Hi Frankie,

So glad you had a nice trip - it sounds great! I'm trying to stop worrying about my TBR - 200 isn't so bad, and I figure I will get to them all someday!

You're PMing with writer dude sounds promising - hope for updates!

Hi Frankie,

So glad you had a nice trip - it sounds great! I'm trying to stop worrying about my TBR - 200 isn't so bad, and I figure I will get to them all someday!

200 is big, but it's not unmanageable! You can definitely get on top of things with your TBR :yes: And I don't think it's even very recommendable to get to TBR 0, if one's a moody person and likes to read books that suit one's current mood, otherwise one doesn't have books to choose from. One would always have to go and buy a new book based on one's mood. Or go to the library. Although that might be nice.... :giggle2:

You're PMing with writer dude sounds promising - hope for updates!

Yep, he sounds good so far. And he reads :smile2:

Knock him dead, Sari.  Not literally.  You know what I mean :D

:theboss:   So... not so much that he'd die, but enough to make him my very own Paul Sheldon? I could Annie Wilkes him? :shrug: I'd better start looking for houses in the deep woods....

:lol:

Good luck with your PMing! ... next thing you know ---> :kissing:

:lol: Well let's give it a bit more time, shall we :D

I had not heard Wizards of the Sonic before!  :D

Your trip sounds absolutely fantastic, meeting all sorts of people, bookshops, and friends.  Who could ask for anything more?

/clearing throat/ Your PM guy sounds interesting....but it's all "on paper" right now.  Remember, skepticism is a good thing.  Eyes wide open.

Um, 200 isn't a bad number..... :blush2:  :readingtwo:  :lurker:

good luck with Mr. pm! He sounds rather nice so far. :)

Thanks Devi :) Mr PM, I like that :D In the possible future updates I shall call him that.

I had not heard Wizards of the Sonic before!  :D

Okay, wow :D  It's one helluva legendary song from the 90s. Hm. I'm going to offer you another song by the same:

Just as legendary as the first, if not even more so. :cool:

/clearing throat/ Your PM guy sounds interesting....but it's all "on paper" right now.  Remember, skepticism is a good thing.  Eyes wide open.

I appreciate your concern, pontalba :friends3:  He sounds great on paper, yes, but it's another thing what he's like in person, and I'm rather a pessimist when it comes to guys. I'm thinking there's no way he's as great in person and that we probably won't mix. Also, I've been in one really bad relationship in my life, and in one really good, so I know what I don't want and I know what I want and I know what I don't deserve.

In other news:

It's Helsinki Pride week this week, and as usual they selected Mr Gay Finland 2013, but this year was the first time that they also had a Miss Gay Finland 2013 competition. I was just reading an article on her on the daily paper and it said that she's spontaneous and optimistic and thinks there's more to be gained in life if you're feeling optimistic about things. What was cool and kind of surprising was that she said she'd watched the movie Yes Man and one day had decided to start living by the idea of saying yes to everything. I thought it was such a funny coincidence because I read the book some months ago and started to say yes more. Cool :cool:

Have you read any of the Dexter books, Athena? Just something I wondered because someone said the two series has some similarities (the Dresden Files series being fantasy, though). If you enjoy a bit of dark humour, macabre and crime novels, you might like it :cool:

x

No, I haven't. Am I correct in that Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first one (this is what GoodReads says)?

x

It's one of my pet peeves that books do not list the books in the series somewhere inside the book, or at least say how manyeth that particular book is on the series :doh:  And some books have mentioned the other books, but they have listed them in an alphabetical or some random order. Who's that going to help anyone??

x

I fully agree with you, this can be very annoying in my opinion.

x

My Birthday isn't until mid December, unfortunately! Last year was the first time that my parents ordered books for me as pressies from some online bookshop, before that I didn't get books for years because they don't have any bookshops where my parents live, and the ones in the supermarket are ridiculously expensive. I'd tried telling them they could buy books online for years, but it wasn't until last Christmas that Mum got the hang of online book shopping :giggle2: She's been really at it ever since then, though! Whenever I go and visit she tells me 'oh I just ordered a few books again from the website' :D So I think it worked out very well for me ;) but also very splendidly for her, too!

x

Nice to hear it all worked out :)! Normally with my birthday, sometimes I order the stuff I want, since my parents don't know as much about it as me, and then I tell them how much it cost. Sometimes they arrange stuff with my boyfriend, that he orders things and they pay him. They always go out to the shops and buy some things there for me too (that you can't as easily get online or that they just come across and think I'll like). Generally it's pretty hard for anyone to give me a book (unless they have my book list or are my friend on GR etc), since they don't know what I already have or what I've already read and liked/disliked. So I usually make a little wishlist of things I'd like to get for my birthday. I'll try and remember to congratulate you in mid-December!

Actually I'm on a book buying ban now :D I just decided that yesterday. I realised that although I've read far more books this year than I've actually acquired, I have only read 30 books of TBR pile, and so far I've acquired 29 books :rolleyes: So things haven't been balancing out at all.

x

Good luck!! It's going to be difficult but I hope it will feel nice that you'll have more of a balance. We'll try and support you here :hug:.

x

I had a really great trip.(...)

x

I'm so glad you had a great trip, it's nice to read about your experience!

x

On another note... I've thought about registering on a dating website for sometime now, and I got a bit of a confidence boost on my trip to south, so I finally plucked up the courage to sign up. That was two weeks ago. I got about 10 or so PMs in the first week, but they were all very generic, and it seemed like none of them had actually even read through my profile. In my ad I did say I like reading and I study languages so I do appreciate a fellow who can write normal sentences with capitals in the beginning and a period at the end. The PMs I got were lacking in this department, and they were also very basic 'hello you sound nice/look nice I wanna get to know you' type of thing :rolleyes:

So I kinda already thought that okay, this is not for me. However, this Monday I got a PM from a local guy who said he'd decided to PM me because there were quite a few things in my ad that sounded good, and that he also likes it when people can write, and like to write. We also have music in common. It was a really nice PM! I went to check out his profile after that and he sounds good on paper :) I knew I had to write back to him... I was really nervous about what to write, but on the other hand we seem to have a lot in common so it was easy to think of things to write. So I already got back to him, and to my surprise he'd already written back to me today :) He wrote a rather long PM, which I really appreciated, and there were a lot of interesting stuff in it.... I'll have to write back to him at some point, of course. But it feels weird that I actually got a nice PM from someone! :smile2:

x

I wish you a lot of luck and fun! I met my boyfriend via the internet, though not via a dating website (it was actually via a forum). Of course you should be careful and see if a person is really what you want, but it is possible imo to find love online (and then meet up). I hope things work out for you, you deserve it :hug:.

:rolol:  I'm playing it right now!  Great beat.  Where was I??

OK, full disclosure.  I don't know if I've really posted this (in public)  before. I met my husband through a film/book forum that we'd both migrated to from the New York Times (old) forums.  We corresponded, Skyped for several years, met.....and married.

So....I know it can happen.  I'll also add that I did due diligence, I googled him extensively before I got in too deep. I found him as author of a technical paper that backed up exactly the professional background he'd told me of.

x

No, I haven't. Am I correct in that Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first one (this is what GoodReads says)?

Yep, that's the first in the series (and I did see you added the book on your wishlist on GR already :D frankie approves!). The titles can be a bit tricky to remember, at least in which order they came, because Lindsay likes to use alliteration in the titles :)

xx

Nice to hear it all worked out :)! Normally with my birthday, sometimes I order the stuff I want, since my parents don't know as much about it as me, and then I tell them how much it cost. Sometimes they arrange stuff with my boyfriend, that he orders things and they pay him. They always go out to the shops and buy some things there for me too (that you can't as easily get online or that they just come across and think I'll like). Generally it's pretty hard for anyone to give me a book (unless they have my book list or are my friend on GR etc), since they don't know what I already have or what I've already read and liked/disliked. So I usually make a little wishlist of things I'd like to get for my birthday. I'll try and remember to congratulate you in mid-December!

x x

Yeah, you can order something for yourself and then just tell them how much it cost, but it's really not as much fun and there's no element of surprise! I like the plan where your parents arrange something with your boyfriend, I bet he has a much better idea of the books you have read and which you already own, and which you would like to own at some point :) And that wishlist of books from which your parents can choose a few from is also really handy, I'm definitely doing that with my parents this year again, if they ask me what I'd like. Although maybe I shouldn't wish for books... I'm becoming old: I'm thinking maybe I'd like to ask them for an electric toothbrush :blush: Oh dear... I'm both old and practical :rolleyes:

Good luck!! It's going to be difficult but I hope it will feel nice that you'll have more of a balance. We'll try and support you here :hug:

Thanks :blush: I hope bookswaps don't count, I'm doing one with chesilbeach :giggle2:

I wish you a lot of luck and fun! I met my boyfriend via the internet, though not via a dating website (it was actually via a forum). Of course you should be careful and see if a person is really what you want, but it is possible imo to find love online (and then meet up). I hope things work out for you, you deserve it :hug:.

I also believe that love can be found online. I have loads of friends who've met their other halfs via dating websites, and I also have a friend who was pen pals with an Italian guy for many, many years, and then she went to Italy to travel and meet him and on her last night she felt she didn't want to leave without telling him that she actually really, really likes him, and she plucked up the courage to tell him, and he felt the same way :wub: Awwww! She's been living in Italy for years now and is very happy :)

Oh dear, this reminds me that I've completely forgotten about replying to Mr PM :doh:

:rolol:  I'm playing it right now!  Great beat.  Where was I??

I don't know, was your head buried in the sand perhaps? :D

Here's another great song from the 90s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt9UyhTH87A

:cool:

OK, full disclosure.  I don't know if I've really posted this (in public)  before. I met my husband through a film/book forum that we'd both migrated to from the New York Times (old) forums.  We corresponded, Skyped for several years, met.....and married.

Awwwww :wub: That's so amazing! How did the two of you finally decide to meet? Were you already smitten with him before you actually met him in real life, or is that too personal?

I'm currently visiting my parents in Nurmes. As some of you know, I've been thinking about moving to another city at some point in the near future. So, I've been going through my books to see which ones I could get rid of. There are quite a few which I've already read but don't want to part with, but which I might go and take to the free book trolley at the library, when I'd be finally moving out. So, instead of having to do that, I've brought a bunch of books to my parents house, to keep in my bedroom. This way I don't have to bring any books with me to read when I'm visiting, and if I end up wanting some of the books back, I can get them when I'm visiting. Genius!

I also brought a few books off my TBR pile: books I'm not sure if I want to read in the future, but then can't make myself get rid of, when I look at them more closely and read a line here and there.

My little library at my parents house

- Camus, Albert: The Plague (TBR)

- Chabon, Michael: The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (TBR)

- Cunningham, Michael: Specimen Days (TBR)

- Goldman, William: Marathon Man (Finnish copy, I'd like to acquire an English copy)

- Härkönen, Anna-Leena: Häräntappoase

- Jotuni, Maria: Huojuva talo (TBR)

- Metalious, Grace: Peyton Place (Finnish copy, I'd like to acquire an English copy)

- Susann, Jacqueline: Valley of the Dolls (Finnish copy, I'd like to acquire an English copy)

- Tervo, Jari: Pyhiesi yhteyteen

(there are a few others but I can't remember them at the moment and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to look :lol:)

Ooh say hello to mum and dad won't you :006: (as in from me :blush2: I know you probably have already said hello yourself :D)

How lovely to set up a little library at your parents house :) .. genius idea :)

Awwwww :wub: That's so amazing! How did the two of you finally decide to meet? Were you already smitten with him before you actually met him in real life, or is that too personal?

We corresponded for about 4 years, and we just felt the same about so many things.  During that time we skyped, and endlessly corresponded and telephoned.  I think I knew before he did, but he told me that one day he was walking through a shopping mall up there (he lived in New York) and he suddenly knew that he loved me, and that was why he was so happy lately. :wub:   He came down for a visit, stayed a month then went back up to NY and closed up his life up there, and was back down here in about 3 months.  We married a bit later. 

And, my books have been disorganized ever since!  His, mine and ours. lol  He is Paul on this forum. :)

Ooh say hello to mum and dad won't you :006: (as in from me :blush2: I know you probably have already said hello yourself :D)

What do you mean I've probably said hello? I just walk upstairs and make a few grunts, does that count?

I said hello to Mum, she says hello back :D Dad's at work, plumbing the plumbings. He currently does plumbing at this local house for the elderly, and yesterday he had an interesting story to tell when he came home. He was doing his work at some corner when an elderly lady came in with a walker and asked Dad if he was going to be long. Dad said it can be negotiated, why does she want to know? Then the lady said that the cross country skiing competition was going to start at that exact same spot! Dear Daddy kept his cool and asked her when it started, and when the lady replied 'at 11 o'clock sharp', Daddy said why of course he shall be done by then, for sure :yes: 

How lovely to set up a little library at your parents house :) .. genius idea :)

It is very convenient! And I now have had the chance to go upstairs and look up the other books I brought home:

- Saisio, Pirkko: Punainen erokirja

- Frank, Anne: The Diary of a Young Girl

- Leon, Donna: Death at La Fenice

Although I brought the Donna Leon book only because I thought Mum might want to read it.

We corresponded for about 4 years, and we just felt the same about so many things.  During that time we skyped, and endlessly corresponded and telephoned. 

Four years is a long time, and you can really get to know one well in that time, in my opinion. Especially when it's started as a friendship and you've discussed things that are of mutual interest to you both, and you're not getting to know him to only 'score' :giggle:

I think I knew before he did, but he told me that one day he was walking through a shopping mall up there (he lived in New York) and he suddenly knew that he loved me, and that was why he was so happy lately. :wub:  

Awwwww :wub: I'm actually getting teary-eyed just thinking about it! :friends3:

He came down for a visit, stayed a month then went back up to NY and closed up his life up there, and was back down here in about 3 months.  We married a bit later. 

And, my books have been disorganized ever since!  His, mine and ours. lol  He is Paul on this forum. :)

:lol: Well it's true love if your books have been disorganized ever since but you can still live with it (and him) and be happy :D I had no idea he was also on here! :)  I promise I won't start grilling him, because you already did all the necessary detective work for yourself :D

Yeah, you can order something for yourself and then just tell them how much it cost, but it's really not as much fun and there's no element of surprise! I like the plan where your parents arrange something with your boyfriend, I bet he has a much better idea of the books you have read and which you already own, and which you would like to own at some point :) And that wishlist of books from which your parents can choose a few from is also really handy, I'm definitely doing that with my parents this year again, if they ask me what I'd like. Although maybe I shouldn't wish for books... I'm becoming old: I'm thinking maybe I'd like to ask them for an electric toothbrush :blush: Oh dear... I'm both old and practical :rolleyes:

x

XD, well sometimes I ask for practical gifts too so I understand. I don't mind the element of surprise much, I don't like most surprises, so as long as there's a few gifts in there that I don't know about, I'm fine with knowing some of the other gifts. (EDIT: Also, knowing what you get but not knowing 100% what it looks like IRL is a bit different too).

Nice to hear about your parents, and the love your friends have found :). You too, pontalba!

For me and my boyfriend, we were friends for about 4+ years when I fell in love with him. I've never started a relationship in which I wasn't friends with the person first, I guess that might be how it works for me. We were friends for a long time, we met up quite a few times over the years, he was here, I went there, we also talked a lot via IM (I used to use it a lot, not so much these days). During most of this time I was with my ex. I broke up with my ex after I realised he's a selfish jerk and what-not. Some time after that, my boyfriend (then my friend) told me that he liked me as more than a friend. I wasn't too sure at first, but then I met up with him and fell in love. During this meet up, my ex was there too (since when we made the appointment I thought I could stay friends with my ex, this was before I realised how angry I was at him). So, during this meet up, I was with one person who wanted me back (my ex) and one person who wanted me (my boyfriend). I also was having some confusing feelings regarding something else. After the meet up, my boyfriend (at the time my friend) and I decided to meet up again soon after, and I took some time to think about things. Then I realised what I felt for my boyfriend was much more than friendship and so I told him I wanted to give our relationship a chance. It's the best decision I've made in my life, I think. From the moment I decided that, I was very happy. When we met up, it was a week / few days filled with happiness. I love him so very much (as you can probably tell from this story XD).

Edited by Athena

Pyhiesi yhteyteen

by Jari Tervo

7742492.jpg

This is a novel by a Finnish, well established author, whom I know best from this TV series called Uutisvuoto. The format of the show is based on Have I Got News for You, and the Finnish name for the show would be translated as 'newsleak' in English. I've never really liked Tervo, but I've seen a movie called Rikos ja Rakkaus, which is based on this book many times and it's one of my favorite Finnish movies. When I saw this book at a library sale some time ago, for only 20cnt, I had to buy it.

I would say that if I hadn't seen the movie so many times, I would've struggled with all the (many) different characters, and the way the story unfolds from all of their narratives. The names are quite imaginative and some of the characters have nicknames which are sometimes used, and sometimes not. It would've been difficult to put together how all the different characters are related to each other and the story. Aside from that difficulty, the rest of it was pure genius. I think Tervo captured all the different characters and their viewpoints and 'voices' very well, and  the story itself was great. What I also liked about the book is that it is set in the northern Finland, which I haven't come across with a lot in Finnish novels. A great book, and this will actually now rank as one of my favorite Finnish novels! I'm kinda annoyed that the person I've disliked, Tervo, clearly has great talent and now I have to appreciate him at least for his literary skills :D

5/5

Edited by frankie

I said hello to Mum, she says hello back :D Dad's at work, plumbing the plumbings. He currently does plumbing at this local house for the elderly, and yesterday he had an interesting story to tell when he came home. He was doing his work at some corner when an elderly lady came in with a walker and asked Dad if he was going to be long. Dad said it can be negotiated, why does she want to know? Then the lady said that the cross country skiing competition was going to start at that exact same spot! Dear Daddy kept his cool and asked her when it started, and when the lady replied 'at 11 o'clock sharp', Daddy said why of course he shall be done by then, for sure :yes: 

Awww bless her :) Alan and I did some carol singing at an old people's home (as part of the local community) and some of them asked us what school we went to :D .. then Alan was chatting to a lady and telling her he was putting up his Christmas tree the next day and she said 'what? .. in summer?' Bless them they were happy to be away with the fairies .. I hope they were anyway.