Frankie reads 2013

frankie

I'm glad that Yes Man helped lighten your mood and get you through your ills.

Thanks Brian, it was a wonderful book! I didn't really expect to be influenced by it, though, so that was definitely a huge bonus :D Only last week I said 'yes' to something I would've otherwise been too lazy to do, and I had a great time! :)

I have added Yes Man to my wish list, thought usual problem is not saying no enough!! :D

:D I wonder if there's a No Woman book for you.... :D

x

Thank you! I'll keep it in mind :) (maybe it'll be one of the last books I read on Sunday or something, or I may not read it just yet, for the read-a-thon).

Yeah, maybe leave it til last. But then again, if you feel like going straight to it, just jump in! I'm so excited that the read-a-thon's starting tomorrow, it's going to be so much fun, and I think the biggest attraction will be to see how others have been doing and which books they read. :smile2:

So glad you enjoyed Still Alice, one of my favourite, if emotional reads last year.

It was a really great read :yes: Have you read anything else by Lisa Genova? I think I will read at least Left Neglected by her, my friend read that one too and recommended it (and there's a copy at the library).

Still Alice is on my TBR (I must've missed it when I posted last time), I'm glad to hear you liked it!

I would definitely recommend it! :)

I've been so behind on people's reading logs, it's been awful! I did a lot of catching up today though, it was fun reading what everybody's been up to. It's now almost 10 PM and I still have maybe 10 or so threads to catch up, but I'm feeling tired and I might have to leave them til tomorrow...

On another note: I got a package in the mail, the books sent to me by vodkafan! That is, Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith and Lyonesse by Jack Vance. Thank you so much, James! :flowers2:   I was a bit surprised how short a novel Girl Meets Boy is, though. And I looked in and yes, the lay out was the same as in There But For The (a great title!!), meaning that the lines weren't alined on the right. It looks so odd in a novel! I don't know if I'm really annoyed by it or if I find it refreshing... I think I will find out what I think about it when I start reading the book :D

And the copy of Lyonesse is beautiful! :o I'm a bit intimidated by the book, but then again, I always am when I comes to fantasy and science fiction... So I'll try and not worry about it and just read it when the mood strikes me!

On yet another note: I feel like a child on Christmas Eve... No, wait, I feel like a child the day before Christmas Eve! I'm so excited about tomorrow's read-a-thon. It's such a brilliant idea :smile2: I've had ideas about which books to read, but I don't want to plan anything too strictly, I'll just go with whatever I feel like. Well, of course I will continue with my current read, which is Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann. It's a Rory Gilmore read and one that I thought I wouldn't probably enjoy but I've read about 60 pages of it and I've been really enjoying it so far. I think this might be another Peyton Place kind of book for me: not expecting to like it, but then it's great, eventhough it's not the kind of book I would normally go for!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just remembered my dream from last night. I think Alexi's review on The Shadow of the Wind provoked it :D So thanks, Alexi!

I'd found out that Carlos Ruiz Zafón was doing a book tour in five different countries, and one of them was Finland! :wub: I was so excited about it. (Although in the dream, for some odd reason, his name was Pete Franzen, which I remember thinking odd in the dream, because there is Jonathan Franzen the author, and Peter Franzen, the Finnish actor who's written a semiautobiographical novel. So that was confusing, but it was Zafón anyways) He was to come to Helsinki on 10.10. and I just knew I would have to go. I did a bit of googling and saw a youtube video where he was doing book signing and he looked so different from what he really is, he was my age and had long pretty hair and he was actually kinda yummy :o:giggle:

I also noticed that one of the other countries he was going was Sweden, and that the town he was going to visit was called Mukavin. It was a real town in the dream but there's no such town in Sweden, at least not to my knowledge! And in the dream I was thinking, such a funny name for a town, because it's actually, coincidentally, a Finnish word and it means 'the nicest' :D

Shoud I take this as a sign to read The Angel's Game, finally... During the read-a-thon. Hmmm.

Edited by frankie

Thanks Athena! :friends3:  I think today was a bust for me, I didn't get much reading done, there were too many other things to take care of, but it was a good day nonetheless or perhaps because :D I'm hoping to catch up tomorrow and the day after that. I'm definitely well into my current read, Valley of the Dolls. I honestly didn't expect to like it that much, but I've felt like I haven't been as into a book as this one in ages! I was gasping, laughing, and shocked, and all other emotions, while reading the book. And yet I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone, unless they are interested in that sort of thing. So odd!

Which proves that it's good to do reading challenges every once in a while, as this is a Rory Gilmore reading challenge book :)

Edited by frankie

I would think that I cannot watch it... But I'm trying! I went to their website and located the program very easily but it says the content does not seem to be working. I wonder if that was because I didn't click that I do have a TV licence :D

Edit: Maybe this is because the show's still one and therefore it's not online yet... I'll try tomorrow, thanks! :friends3:  :lol:

Edited by frankie

Re Angel's Game...here is a bit from a wiki article on the book.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angel's_Game

The Angel's Game (El juego del ángel, 2008) is a prequel to 2001's The Shadow of the Wind by Spanish author Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Like The Shadow of the Wind, it was translated into English by Lucia Graves, daughter of the poet Robert Graves, and published in 2009.

Robert Graves daughter!  Yikes! :D

re Valley of the Dolls....gad, I have a new copy of it, my intention was to reread, as it's been, er, decades since I read it.  Did you know there was a film?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062430/

Re Angel's Game...here is a bit from a wiki article on the book.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angel's_Game

Thanks, but I don't want to know too much about it, I want to go into it head on :D

Robert Graves daughter!  Yikes! :D

I didn't know that! Well well, it should be pretty good then, if genetics have anything to do with it.... :D

re Valley of the Dolls....gad, I have a new copy of it, my intention was to reread, as it's been, er, decades since I read it.  Did you know there was a film?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062430/

I knew there was either a film about it or a TV-series. I think a lot of the time I confuse this with Peyton Place, because both were before my time, both are about women's relationships (among other things), both are Rory Gilmore books, both are kind of a household names if you know what I mean, and both are also known from TV/movies. And both my copies are blue :D When I've been reading the book I've definitely thought to myself I have to see the movie if there's one! :yes: Have you seen it? Was it any good?

Edit: And did you enjoy the book? :)

Edit: Went to check out the imdb link, Barbara Parkins is in the movie, and then I checked her out and she was also in Peyton Place :D

And oh, Sharon Tate was in Valley of the Dolls! Poor girl, what a tragic end she had :(

Edited by frankie

I saw the film, Valley of the Dolls, when it came out, and hardly remember a bit of it.  The one I most remember from it was Patty Duke.  Yeah, Sharon Tate, how awful.  I remember when that happened. /shivers/ Scared the heck out of everyone.

I hardly remember the book either, but had the compulsion to purchase a new copy, it's pink, not too long ago.  I know I enjoyed it.

Another book from that time frame is Harold Robbins The Adventurers...it was a fantastic book as I recall.  The film of it was not to good though, skipped the really interesting parts/explanations of the book.  IOW, cut out the heart.

The Adventurers was the first novel that, for me, showed the circular tendency of some South American governments to keep rebelling, then the rebels are in power and rebelled against.......history repeating itself in a much shorter time period.  But, it's been a long time since I read that as well, but I have a new copy.....lol

I just remembered my dream from last night. I think Alexi's review on The Shadow of the Wind provoked it :D So thanks, Alexi!.

Glad to be of service :D

Speaking of, I picked up Prisoner of Heaven while doing my weekly food shop (often my downfall, I get SO bored and need distraction!) but left it in the end because I felt I MUST acquire Angel's Game first... So I bought a Phillippa Gregory novel instead. Fail.

A bit of a pickle... I was only doing a little rearranging of one tiny bookcase, and a bit of dusting, and I figured I ought to rearrange the big bookcase, too, because I'd cleared out a bunch of books off it and it was just a mess. I took out my Stephen Kings and Jeffery Deavers and Finnish novels and then I noticed that one of the shelves seemed like it might come off at any moment. Actually, it seemed that a book was stuck underneath it, and that as a matter of fact, that book was the only thing keeping that one shelf on its place :D I hastily removed all books from the shelf and got everything secured, leaving that one poor book in its place so as not to have everything collapse on me. It was a big beautiful book of Australia and Oceania :D Thank goodness I'd bought it :D

Oh dear, what to do now. I don't care about the bookcase, it was bought from a fleamarket anyhow, but where to put all the books!!

You will have to move the Oceania book to verify if it is the only thing  holding the shelf up Frankie; until you do that you won't know; then you have to examine the shelf supports to see why it has collapsed; It is most likely something that can be easily fixed.

That is the  male problem-solving approach.  :smile:

You will have to move the Oceania book to verify if it is the only thing  holding the shelf up Frankie; until you do that you won't know; then you have to examine the shelf supports to see why it has collapsed; It is most likely something that can be easily fixed.

That is the  male problem-solving approach.  :smile:

Male solving approach?  /eyebrows raised to the sky/  :rolol:  :sign0142:

sorry VF, couldn't resist! It's the old-lady-syndrome. :angel_not:

sorry VF, couldn't resist! It's the old-lady-syndrome. :angel_not:

lol yes  the female approach is just to empathise . ....Methinks I may be on dangerous ground here  :hide:  bye outofhere.gif

Maybe I was a bit unclear... What I meant was, when I took out all the books from the shelf that was about to collapse, and from the shelf beneath it, I was reaching to take out the last one when I discovered that it was holding the shelf in place. At that point I left the one book  there in order to take out all the books from the case, just so that if, for some reason, the whole bookcase would collapse, I wouldn't be drowned in books. When this was done, I took out that one big book and yes, it had been holding the shelf up. And no, it's not something that can be easily fixed.

I would call that the common sense approach... ;)

Maybe I was a bit unclear... What I meant was, when I took out all the books from the shelf that was about to collapse, and from the shelf beneath it, I was reaching to take out the last one when I discovered that it was holding the shelf in place. At that point I left the one book  there in order to take out all the books from the case, just so that if, for some reason, the whole bookcase would collapse, I wouldn't be drowned in books. When this was done, I took out that one big book and yes, it had been holding the shelf up. And no, it's not something that can be easily fixed.

I would call that the common sense approach... ;)

Yup.  Agree, totally. :grinhat:

I saw the film, Valley of the Dolls, when it came out, and hardly remember a bit of it.  The one I most remember from it was Patty Duke.  Yeah, Sharon Tate, how awful.  I remember when that happened. /shivers/ Scared the heck out of everyone.

Patty Duke rings some bell but I can't say I know what she's been and I wouldn't know what she looks like etc :blush:

I hardly remember the book either, but had the compulsion to purchase a new copy, it's pink, not too long ago.  I know I enjoyed it.

Do you know any other books that are like Valley of the Dolls? Show businessy, and set in that era? And written decades ago? I kinda got into the whole thing so I wouldn't mind reading something else like that.

Another book from that time frame is Harold Robbins The Adventurers...it was a fantastic book as I recall.  The film of it was not to good though, skipped the really interesting parts/explanations of the book.  IOW, cut out the heart.

The Adventurers was the first novel that, for me, showed the circular tendency of some South American governments to keep rebelling, then the rebels are in power and rebelled against.......history repeating itself in a much shorter time period.  But, it's been a long time since I read that as well, but I have a new copy.....lol

I googled the title, but it wasn't about show business...? Is there anything similar to the book, aside from the fact that it was from the same time frame? Would you recommend I read it?

Glad to be of service :D

Speaking of, I picked up Prisoner of Heaven while doing my weekly food shop (often my downfall, I get SO bored and need distraction!) but left it in the end because I felt I MUST acquire Angel's Game first... So I bought a Phillippa Gregory novel instead. Fail.

Alexi and chesilbeach: it was a bit of a fail due to the fact that Alexi didn't buy Prisoner of Heaven :giggle2: I know you want to read Angel's Game first, but then you would've been forced to buy that, too! :lol: Win win!!

This is not exactly to do with reading or books, but... My neighbors from downstairs moved away last weekend. (Good riddance! The girl was very vocal, loud and talkative and she always complained about something. I mean I could hear her whenever she was outside in the yard, and she liked being outside a LOT. And she was always giving her BF a rough time. Poor fella!) I saw one of the new neighbors today, and heard the others. It seems ... *drum roll* ... that there's a bilingual family living downstairs! :o  The two kids that were playing outside spoke in Finnish but then switched to English. Bloody hell, how nice! I wish they are nice, I wouldn't mind if they bought a dog, and that I became an instant friend, and could then dog and baby watch for the parents and speak English to the kids :D

Edit: God that sounds weird, when I see it written down. You people have to understand that I've also studied linguistics and I find all things bilingual very intriguing! :D Also, I've been reading French Children Don't Throw Food, where an American and a Brit live in Paris and have children, and the children are therefore bilingual, learning French in the nursery/day care etc. So I've been reading about bilingualism and different cultures for a few days, and it has had an effect :D

Edited by frankie

Patty Duke rings some bell but I can't say I know what she's been and I wouldn't know what she looks like etc :blush:

Do you know any other books that are like Valley of the Dolls? Show businessy, and set in that era? And written decades ago? I kinda got into the whole thing so I wouldn't mind reading something else like that.

I googled the title, but it wasn't about show business...? Is there anything similar to the book, aside from the fact that it was from the same time frame? Would you recommend I read it?

Alexi and chesilbeach: it was a bit of a fail due to the fact that Alexi didn't buy Prisoner of Heaven :giggle2: I know you want to read Angel's Game first, but then you would've been forced to buy that, too! :lol: Win win!!

Can't think of any particular title off hand similar, but you might look up Sidney Sheldon's books.  I read a lot of him years ago, and I do believe his books are along some of the same lines as Valley of the Dolls. And in the same era.

The Adventurers isn't about Hollywood, but it is a sort of snapshot of the way some of the South American countries had revolving governments/dictator.  It is told through one families eyes, over several continents and generations.

Patty Duke is a little older than I am I believe.  She had a TV show on back in the late 60's or so about teenage twins...but they were not sisters, they were cousins being raised by the parents of one.  It was funny, and topical, taking place in, I think New York City.  She also played Helen Keller in the 1962 remake of The Miracle Worker

Edited by pontalba

This is not exactly to do with reading or books, but... My neighbors from downstairs moved away last weekend. (Good riddance! The girl was very vocal, loud and talkative and she always complained about something. I mean I could hear her whenever she was outside in the yard, and she liked being outside a LOT. And she was always giving her BF a rough time. Poor fella!) I saw one of the new neighbors today, and heard the others. It seems ... *drum roll* ... that there's a bilingual family living downstairs! :o  The two kids that were playing outside spoke in Finnish but then switched to English. Bloody hell, how nice! I wish they are nice, I wouldn't mind if they bought a dog, and that I became an instant friend, and could then dog and baby watch for the parents and speak English to the kids :D

Edit: God that sounds weird, when I see it written down. You people have to understand that I've also studied linguistics and I find all things bilingual very intriguing! :D Also, I've been reading French Children Don't Throw Food, where an American and a Brit live in Paris and have children, and the children are therefore bilingual, learning French in the nursery/day care etc. So I've been reading about bilingualism and different cultures for a few days, and it has had an effect :D

Doesn't sound weird at all! Families with a mix of cultures are always interesting and (usually) I find them fairly easygoing. I bet they will be really pleased that you speak English too. Hopefully they will be a big improvement on your last neighbours.  :D

You could never be weird :friends0: I do hope they turn out to be just the right sort of neighbours for you and that they soon get a nice .. not too noisy but very friendly dog  :)

I like the sound of French Children Don't Throw Food .. I expect it contains a lot of wisdom. From what I saw of them .. French children are very well behaved.

I read Valley of the Dolls donkey's years ago and loved it .. had forgotten all about it actually so it's great to be reminded .. must re-read it at some point. 

Not weird.  You like kids and dogs, they will probably be grateful. :)

I pulled Valley of the Dolls from the shelf.  Unfortunately I also pulled another book, The Rook by Daniel O'Malley off the shelf, ostensibly for husband.  Well, I read the first few pages and tough!  I'm reading it now...