Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

Great review on The Kingdom Besieged, I have Magician on my TBR list but haven't read any Feist yet, have you enjoyed them all?

I am hoping to get AC4 when it comes down in price, I've played them all so far and really enjoyed them but thought AC3 was a bit boring, took a long time to get going.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be more than happy to give you the Brian Cox book when I have read it. I still owe you books after all. :)

Aw, you're sweet. :) But I really don't feel like you owe me any books; you were helping me out by taking some off my hands! :)

Great review on The Kingdom Besieged, I have Magician on my TBR list but haven't read any Feist yet, have you enjoyed them all?

I am hoping to get AC4 when it comes down in price, I've played them all so far and really enjoyed them but thought AC3 was a bit boring, took a long time to get going.

I've enjoyed them all, but the saga I enjoyed the most is the The Riftwar Saga(the first three) which contains Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon. My favourite would have to be the The Empire Trilogy that he wrote along with Janny Wurts. They include the Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire. They aren't essential to the main story but I highly recommend reading them - after the Riftwar Saga.

AC3 is the one based on the American revolution isn't it? I have yet to play it myself. I love the games because they are based on historic events in life. Who says games can't be educational! :giggle:

Edited by Devi

I've enjoyed them all, but the saga I enjoyed the most is the The Riftwar Saga(the first three) which contains Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon. My favourite would have to be the The Empire Trilogy that he wrote along with Janny Wurts. They include the Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire. They aren't essential to the main story but I highly recommend reading them - after the Riftwar Saga.

AC3 is the one based on the American revolution isn't it? I have yet to play it myself. I love the games because they are based on historic events in life. Who says games can't be educational! :giggle:

Thanks for that, I will certainly read Magician and then the rest of the trilogy if I enjoy it.

yeah it's the American Revolution, I do love the history aspect, but it started going too much into the Native American side and got a bit dull with all the hunting and tonnes of riding from one place to the next.

My partner bought me this book the other day to try and cheer me up, having a hard time of it with lots of pain all over. Pain killers aren't really helping and I am at my limit with how many and much I can have.

c3fccba32111161c457db3f613c36baf_zpsbc07

Edited by Devi

Beautiful book, Devi --

Sure hope the pain lessens soon for you . Do you have a Dr appt anytime soon ? Maybe they can order something new that will work better than what you are using now ?

Yeah I have one next week actually.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading The Dirt - Motley Crue and loving every minute of it.

Just wondering, does anyone else think Charlie Sheen is the Nikki Sixx of today?

I know a few people on here who would be interested in this. Just in case I will post it in a few peoples threads that I know might enjoy it.

Dangerous Women - George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois

Synopsis

George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois have put together a towering anthology of specially-commissioned stories from the most stellar names in the genre, set in a number of readers' favourite fantasy worlds. George R.R. Martin is the bestselling author of A Song of Ice and Fire, the inspiration for HBO's hit series Game of Thrones. The collection will also feature a new and unpublished 100pp novella by George R.R. Martin set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire - now the award-winning HBO show, Game of Thrones. The novella, entitled 'The Princess and the Queen', will reveal the origins of the Targaryen Civil War, otherwise known as 'The Dance of the Dragons', a war that split a then-fledgling Westeros in two, pitting Targaryen against Targaryen and dragon against dragon.

The Dangerous Women anthology also contains contributions from the following worldwide bestselling authors: * Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country story * Nora's Song by Cecelia Holland * Bombshells by Jim Butcher - A Harry Dresden story * Wrestling Jesus by Joe R. Lansdale * Neighbours by Megan Lindholm (who also writes as Robin Hobb) * Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson * A Queen in Exile by Sharon Kay Penman * The Girl in the Mirror by Lev Grossman - A Magicians story * Virgins by Diana Gabaldon - An Outlander story

http://www.bookworld.com.au/book/dangerous-women/42985604/

Edited by Devi

Just want to say (again) that I totally second the recommendation of both Riftwar and Empire. The Empire trilogy is one of my favourite fantasy series of all time. :)

The anthology sounds awesome, I've had my eye on it since it was announced. I know what I'm getting for Christmas . . . :D

I know a few people on here who would be interested in this. Just in case I will post it in a few peoples threads that I know might enjoy it.

Dangerous Women - George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois

Synopsis

George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois have put together a towering anthology of specially-commissioned stories from the most stellar names in the genre, set in a number of readers' favourite fantasy worlds. George R.R. Martin is the bestselling author of A Song of Ice and Fire, the inspiration for HBO's hit series Game of Thrones. The collection will also feature a new and unpublished 100pp novella by George R.R. Martin set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire - now the award-winning HBO show, Game of Thrones. The novella, entitled 'The Princess and the Queen', will reveal the origins of the Targaryen Civil War, otherwise known as 'The Dance of the Dragons', a war that split a then-fledgling Westeros in two, pitting Targaryen against Targaryen and dragon against dragon.

The Dangerous Women anthology also contains contributions from the following worldwide bestselling authors: * Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country story * Nora's Song by Cecelia Holland * Bombshells by Jim Butcher - A Harry Dresden story * Wrestling Jesus by Joe R. Lansdale * Neighbours by Megan Lindholm (who also writes as Robin Hobb) * Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson * A Queen in Exile by Sharon Kay Penman * The Girl in the Mirror by Lev Grossman - A Magicians story * Virgins by Diana Gabaldon - An Outlander story

http://www.bookworld.com.au/book/dangerous-women/42985604/

That sounds interesting, I've put it on my wishlist :). Edited by Athena

Two more books turned up from the BD sale earlier this month. Awaiting on two more to come. One of them will make a few of you very very happy. :)

850b2f95453deeb89f3b084a401acadb_zpsf201

I'm sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. :(  :empathy:  I hope your doc is able to help you. Is that what your recent FB post was about? I have been worried.

I haven't read either Replay or The Year of the Flood (I have the latter on my TBR pile), but I reckon they'll both be awesome!

That Black Sabbath cover is excellent. And yep, I can see what you mean about Charlie Sheen being similar to Nikki Sixx! :giggle2:  Glad you're enjoying The Dirt.

Hope you're feeling better soon! If not, you never know, a few more books may help ;)

You can never have too many right? :giggle2:

I'm sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. :(  :empathy:  I hope your doc is able to help you. Is that what your recent FB post was about? I have been worried.

I haven't read either Replay or The Year of the Flood (I have the latter on my TBR pile), but I reckon they'll both be awesome!

That Black Sabbath cover is excellent. And yep, I can see what you mean about Charlie Sheen being similar to Nikki Sixx! :giggle2:  Glad you're enjoying The Dirt.

Yeah, been to three neurologists and none will offer me anything to help. I'm really upset over the whole thing, I just keep getting told its the MS. Well gee thanks, didn't know that. I spoke to my local doctor this evening, and he is going to try me out on some medications to see if they will help, but there is only so much he can prescribe being a gp. My head gets these electric type pulses whenever I move, talk etc. When its really bad I have to lay as still as possible, how am I meant to live like that. That's what the FB status was about.

I only found out when I read the back of the book that The Year of the Flood is actually the second of three books.

I could imagine that Black Sabbath cover as someones tattoo. It'd have to be put on their back for it to look good though.

Sorry you're having such a bad time of it, Devi. :(:console:

Yay on the new books, though! I have The Year of the Flood too but haven't read it yet. I really enjoyed the first in the trilogy, Oryx and Crake - dystopian fiction with a difference. And my sister bought me Madaddam (book #3) for my birthday, so I really must read them soon. Hope you enjoy it. :D

Yeah, been to three neurologists and none will offer me anything to help. I'm really upset over the whole thing, I just keep getting told its the MS. Well gee thanks, didn't know that. I spoke to my local doctor this evening, and he is going to try me out on some medications to see if they will help, but there is only so much he can prescribe being a gp. My head gets these electric type pulses whenever I move, talk etc. When its really bad I have to lay as still as possible, how am I meant to live like that. That's what the FB status was about.

x

Awwww :( that must be really difficult :friends3:. I hope the meds will help you.

I'm sorry you're going through all this with the MS Devi.  I certainly hope the docs can come up with some new med that'll be more of a help.  :friends3:  :flowers2:

OTOH.........Yays! for Replay...now all fingers crossed you actually like it! :P   Plus I love the cover you have!