Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

Getting ready for the big BD book sale tomorrow night. 11pm Australia time if you're keen Kylie!

Edited by Devi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be there! (so to speak)

Sweet, been looking forward to it. I've been saving $$ since the last sale for the next one that was coming.

Devi

I'm thinking possibly someone driving by had maybe thrown out a cigarette or something ? Not sure, but the grass was all brown from lack of rain .

As for the others inside, there weren't many, just a scattered few, and the place was huge ,so maybe no one would have noticed I was in there wandering around .

It's ok, though. I think maybe sometimes things like that happen for a reason . Like a wake-up call ? Straighten out or else ?

I'm not sure , I just chalk it up to something that happened that was funny ,since I got out ok .

That reminds me of another time, I wasn't so fortunate . I still tease the Hubster about it . Another funny story that wasn't funny then .but is now .

We had an old furnace in our last house that had some malfunction. Once in awhile, the pressure inside BLEW the metal door off the front. Maybe a clogged gas line or something ? We had a furnace guy come look at it , but he didn't find anything alarming .

It also had the tendency for the pilot light to blow out ,so you'd have to go down and re-light it .

Usually that was the Hubster's job, since I know nothing about furnaces, but he was at work, it was winter and early morning ,so it was freezing cold in the house. I called him at work ,asking directions for how to light the pilot light .

He told me each step ,so I went down to light it . To make a long story short, he FORGOT to tell me to turn the thermostat OFF .

So, there was a buildup of gas in there  .

What happens when you stick a lighted match into an area where there is a gas buildup ?   :censored:

Let's just say that I needed to draw my eyebrows on until they grew back out   :icon_eek:   ,and I didn't need a suntan ,as I looked like I had laid out in the desert for a day .  :7_mad:  

:o  :hide:  :doh:

Oof. :blink:

This book came in the mail today, I forgot I had ordered it a week or so ago! Love that cover.

34e586fc35b8ce2ddf914bebd2d59d13_zps1ca2

3 books bought so far through the BD sale, will reveal full list once the sale ends. How are you doing Kylie?

No good for me! I have been ill and have been sleeping on and off all day. Between that and just plain forgetting to check, I haven't bought anything. I saw Charlotte Bronte and Brian Cox books that looked good, but I was too late for them. It's probably just as well I wasn't able to get them because I already have so many unread books!

No good for me! I have been ill and have been sleeping on and off all day. Between that and just plain forgetting to check, I haven't bought anything. I saw Charlotte Bronte and Brian Cox books that looked good, but I was too late for them. It's probably just as well I wasn't able to get them because I already have so many unread books!

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon. I know what you mean about the unread books, I wasn't planning on buying anymore this year but the sale was just so tempting. I will start the no more books for the year tomorrow! :giggle2:

Ok, i got seven books in the end, one was not from the sale. Now I am going to try my hardest to not buy anymore books for the rest of the year. I hope you can all help me with this, as I know it will be hard for me.

24hr sale

What is Myrrh Anyway?: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Christmas - Jonathan Green

The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen - Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw

Books v. Cigarettes - George Orwell

Discount voucher

Nerd Do Well - Simon Pegg

The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood

Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

Replay - Ken Grimwood

I think Books v. Cigarettes might be of interest to a few of you.

Synopsis from BD:

Beginning with a dilemma about whether he spends more money on reading or smoking, George Orwell's entertaining and uncompromising essays go on to explore everything from the perils of second-hand bookshops to the dubious profession of being a critic, from freedom of the press to what patriotism really means. Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves - and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives - and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose ideas shook civilization and helped make us who we are.

Edited by Devi

I'm three chapters away from finishing The kingdom Besieged! My mojo seems to be making a comeback albeit a slow one.

I wish I had seen the Brian Cox book in time. The Myrrh one sounds good too.

I have read Nerd Do Well, and I loved it. :) I have the Atwood and Orwell on my TBR pile.

Enjoy your new books when they arrive! Good haul. :D

I wish I had seen the Brian Cox book in time. The Myrrh one sounds good too.

I have read Nerd Do Well, and I loved it. :) I have the Atwood and Orwell on my TBR pile.

Enjoy your new books when they arrive! Good haul. :D

I will be more than happy to give you the Brian Cox book when I have read it. I still owe you books after all. :)

8664327.jpg

A Kingdom Besieged

by Raymond E. Feist

Synopsis:

Midkemia’s fifth and final Riftwar—the devastating Chaoswar—explodes in the opening volume of Raymond E. Feist’s spectacular new epic fantasy trilogy of magic, conflict, and world-shattering peril. A Kingdom Besieged is a breathtaking adventure that brings back Pug—first introduced in Feist’s classic debut novel, Magician, and now Midkemia’s most powerful sorcerer—who faces a major magical cataclysm that forces him to question everything he’s ever held as true and dear…including the loyalty of his beloved son Magnus.

Review:

It has been an astounding 30+ years since Raymond E. Feist first introduced us to Pug, Tomas, and the other heroes of Midkemia. In this latest book, new and old characters meet together to fight the Keshians who move against the Kingdom. I won't go on to reveal too much as this is a short book compared to his others, at only 408 pages.

We for the first time get to see the demon realm, and watch as they struggle to escape the Void that is destroying everything it touches as it spreads across their world.
One new character we meet from the demon realm is called Child, she is a rather unusual demon who grows in both stature and power by simply devouring creatures - brain and all. It's not clear what role she will play, she may offer salvation from the darkness (Void), or be the harbinger of the end-times, but whichever it is, she makes for a very interesting character.

What I like best is the way Raymond handles the war in this saga, instead of it being an all out bloody war like in all the other books he has written. Here he takes things in an entirely new direction, introducing us to armies that are designed solely to make landfall and send the residents hiding for cover. Rather then press the advantage and invest themselves in siege, the armies simply hold their ground while the refugees they've collected are set loose to colonize the land. This is not a conquest by swords, pole-arms, pikes, and magic spells, but one by spades, hoes, shovels, and farming. This is not a war of attrition, but a simple matter of displacement.

This is just the first of three books in the last saga containing Pug and friends, I am sad to see it ending, but at the same time, glad to finally have an ending to a story that has been a huge part of my reading life. Two more books to go!

3/5

Edited by Devi

Ok, i got seven books in the end, one was not from the sale. Now I am going to try my hardest to not buy anymore books for the rest of the year. I hope you can all help me with this, as I know it will be hard for me.

x

I'm sure we're all happy to support you :hug: (I'd like to, at least).

The Brian Cox book sounds interesting, as do some of the others (such as Books vs. Cigarettes). Great that you bought Replay, I hope you enjoy it! I hope you enjoy all your new books :).

I'm glad to hear your mojo is slowly coming back :). Great review of b]The Kingdom Besieged[/b]. I really ought to start sometime reading Raymond E. Feist's works, but there are so many books I want to read.

I ordered a book from BD and it arrived today along with another unexpected surprise in the envelope!

2df54aaab43123baa89c90aa4f68738d_zpsfb7b

Loved it!  I read it earlier this year...I think this link will get my very short review.... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/?p=332023

24hr sale

What is Myrrh Anyway?: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Christmas - Jonathan Green

The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen - Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw

Books v. Cigarettes - George Orwell

Discount voucher

Nerd Do Well - Simon Pegg

The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood

Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

Replay - Ken Grimwood

I think Books v. Cigarettes might be of interest to a few of you.

Synopsis from BD:

Beginning with a dilemma about whether he spends more money on reading or smoking, George Orwell's entertaining and uncompromising essays go on to explore everything from the perils of second-hand bookshops to the dubious profession of being a critic, from freedom of the press to what patriotism really means. Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves - and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives - and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose ideas shook civilization and helped make us who we are.

Replay!!  Hey, hey! :readingtwo:  :cool:

Hi Devi I have got Nerd Do Well. Hope to get to it before the end of the year. You were right Books V.Cigarrettes looks interesting. How is your health these days? OK I hope.

Hey VF :)

I'm hoping to read Nerd Do Well before the year is out too. I also want to read Books V. Cigarrettes and the last two Raymond E Feist books, and the list goes on and on. :giggle2:

Health wise, pretty bad at the moment. Not really eating, still try to drink plenty of water though. The doctors seem to think the lesions have messed with my appetite part of the brain, the smell of food makes me nauseous. Sometimes I just don't feel hungry at all. Other than the ms stuff, everything else is ok :)

Thanks for asking friend :)

xI'm sure we're all happy to support you :hug: (I'd like to, at least).The Brian Cox book sounds interesting, as do some of the others (such as Books vs. Cigarettes). Great that you bought Replay, I hope you enjoy it! I hope you enjoy all your new books :).I'm glad to hear your mojo is slowly coming back :). Great review of b]The Kingdom Besieged[/b]. I really ought to start sometime reading Raymond E. Feist's works, but there are so many books I want to read.

Thanks!

I meed to be saving my money for the release of the PS4 at the end of the month, and for christmas presents for the family. I almost have my console payed off, just need to work on the games.

I plan on asking for books for christmas. :)

Loved it!  I read it earlier this year...I think this link will get my very short review.... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11186-pontalbas-2013-reading-list/?p=332023

So glad I bought it now! Thanks for linking me your review. :)

Health wise, pretty bad at the moment. Not really eating, still try to drink plenty of water though. The doctors seem to think the lesions have messed with my appetite part of the brain, the smell of food makes me nauseous. Sometimes I just don't feel hungry at all. Other than the ms stuff, everything else is ok :)

x

It sounds pretty tough, I'm glad you're hanging in there :hug:

Thanks!

I meed to be saving my money for the release of the PS4 at the end of the month, and for christmas presents for the family. I almost have my console payed off, just need to work on the games.

I plan on asking for books for christmas. :)

x

Which games will you be getting? Good luck with buying presents, it should be nice for you to get some books for Christmas. Do you have specific ones you ask or do you just give people your whole wishlist?

xIt sounds pretty tough, I'm glad you're hanging in there :hug:. x xWhich games will you be getting? Good luck with buying presents, it should be nice for you to get some books for Christmas. Do you have specific ones you ask or do you just give people your whole wishlist?

Thought I might just write a list of three books for each member of the family - different books, and let them decide just how many and what titles to buy.

I'll be getting assassins creed 4: black flag special edition (with figurine). Looks amazing, one reason I love the games is because of the history. Real-life individuals that will be encountered include the pirates Edward "Blackbeard" Thatch, Benjamin Hornigold, Anne Bonny, Calico Jack and Charles Vane.

I'll also be getting killzone shadow fall, call of duty ghosts, knack and possibly battlefield 4.

Thought I might just write a list of three books for each member of the family - different books, and let them decide just how many and what titles to buy.

I'll be getting assassins creed 4: black flag special edition (with figurine). Looks amazing, one reason I love the games is because of the history. Real-life individuals that will be encountered include the pirates Edward "Blackbeard" Thatch, Benjamin Hornigold, Anne Bonny, Calico Jack and Charles Vane.

I'll also be getting killzone shadow fall, call of duty ghosts, knack and possibly battlefield 4.

x

Sounds good! My boyfriend has some of the Assassin's Creed games, he's played two so far (1 and 2). I've watched him play, it looked interesting. I hope you enjoy the other games too :). My boyfriend owns the first three Killzone games but he hasn't played them yet. He likes the Call of Duty games but he doesn't play multiplayer so we wait until the games have been out for a while and then buy them (since it's only a short single player). Knack looks interesting! Have fun :).