Devi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Devi and Kylie

Are you guys anyplace close to where the fires are, or is it a long ways from you ? It must be fairly close if you can smell it . Stay safe !

Kylie

Glad you bought the Bonnie and Clyde book , and hope you enjoy it !

Devi

so glad your glasses are helping. I've worn mine for many years and couldn't go without them now for seeing up-close. I could drive without them ,because I can see far away just fine. It's the close up stuff I need them for .

As for the book you are all mentioning, it does sound interesting, at least to see what they find ABOVE ground . I've never attempted a Sci-Fi book ,but maybe someday I should . I might like them . :) ? :( ?

Devi and Kylie

Are you guys anyplace close to where the fires are, or is it a long ways from you ? It must be fairly close if you can smell it . Stay safe !

Kylie

Glad you bought the Bonnie and Clyde book , and hope you enjoy it !

Devi

so glad your glasses are helping. I've worn mine for many years and couldn't go without them now for seeing up-close. I could drive without them ,because I can see far away just fine. It's the close up stuff I need them for .

As for the book you are all mentioning, it does sound interesting, at least to see what they find ABOVE ground . I've never attempted a Sci-Fi book ,but maybe someday I should . I might like them . :) ? :( ?

Kylie is in another state to me, I am in Victoria. If i wanted to visit Sydney, it would only take me about 9 hours to drive.

I'm still getting used to the feeling of wearing mine, but i am glad i have them. Wish i has done it sooner.

Well you can't go wrong with PK Dick i reckon, his books are quick reads.

Edited by Devi

Devi

Maybe there will be a time when you and Kylie * could meet in person, if one of you were going to be in the area where the other lives .

I always like hearing about the meetups of the people in here . It'd be neat to meet some of the people you "talk" to in person

* Sorry, I always get the names Frankie & Kylie confused ...

Edited by julie

I am slowly collecting all of PK Dicks' books, Ubik is high on my wish list.

I read this last year (or maybe it was this year?) and thought it was brilliant. Very thought provoking.

I just checked out the synopsis. The Penultimate Truth sounds awesome! In case anyone else is interested (taken from the Book Depository's website):

World War III is raging—or so the millions of people crammed in their underground tanks believe. For fiteen years, subterranean humanity has been fed on daily broadcasts of a never-ending nuclear destruction, sustained by a belief in the all powerful Protector. Now someone has gone to the surface and found no destruction, no war. The authorities have been telling a massive lie. Now the search begins to find out why.

Sounds great - another one for the wishlist. :smile:

Devi

Maybe there will be a time when you and Frankie could meet in person, if one of you were going to be in the area where the other lives .

I always like hearing about the meetups of the people in here . It'd be neat to meet some of the people you "talk" to in person .

I think you mean kylie. :giggle2:. I would love to meet Kylie one day. :)

Hopefully i haven't scared her off with some of my book choices. :giggle2:

I like the sound of The Penultimate Truth .. you can't help but want to know what happens next :) Could my wishlist cope with one more? .. yes of course it can :D

I read this last year (or maybe it was this year?) and thought it was brilliant. Very thought provoking.

Sounds great - another one for the wishlist. :smile:

Woohoo! Another two wishlisters.

No, I'm not much of a book-sniffer, unless it's an old book. Mmm... :)

I just checked out the synopsis. The Penultimate Truth sounds awesome! In case anyone else is interested (taken from the Book Depository's website):

World War III is raging—or so the millions of people crammed in their underground tanks believe. For fiteen years, subterranean humanity has been fed on daily broadcasts of a never-ending nuclear destruction, sustained by a belief in the all powerful Protector. Now someone has gone to the surface and found no destruction, no war. The authorities have been telling a massive lie. Now the search begins to find out why.

I haven't loved Dick in the past, but this one sounds extremely promising.  Added......:)

Devi

Thanks for correcting my mistake with Kylie/ Frankie. I am always interchanging the 2 names .

Hehe. I take that as a compliment. We are rather similar. :) And (in case you didn't already know) Frankie has actually visited me...all the way from Finland to Australia! I still can't believe it happened. :D

The bushfire that has destroyed a couple of hundred homes is reasonably close to me - about a 20-minute drive away. I'm in absolutely no danger though. I'm in a very built up area (as in houses, not bush). I live at the foot of the mountains where the fires are. I believe the smoke has spread over a good chunk of the state (from other bushfires as well). I think most of the smoke is now being caused by back burning to prevent even more fires (we're still a month away from summer :().

Kylie

Yes, I DO think you guys are similar in lots of ways. You both have a truckload of books and even your online personalities sound a lot alike, so I get you guys mixed up constantly .

I'm glad you live in a safe location . Are the fires common over there when summertime comes ? I know they have a lot out west where they have droughts, etc . We don't have fires like that here ,though . We have so many weather changes, but plenty of rain /snow,so the ground is rarely dry enough for a fire . 

The year we went to Florida on vacation, they had a fire down there . Too close for comfort . Did I ever tell you about that ?

Kylie

Yes, I DO think you guys are similar in lots of ways. You both have a truckload of books and even your online personalities sound a lot alike, so I get you guys mixed up constantly .

I'm glad you live in a safe location . Are the fires common over there when summertime comes ? I know they have a lot out west where they have droughts, etc . We don't have fires like that here ,though . We have so many weather changes, but plenty of rain /snow,so the ground is rarely dry enough for a fire . 

The year we went to Florida on vacation, they had a fire down there . Too close for comfort . Did I ever tell you about that ?

Fires are very common here in Victoria and NSW. I live 10mins from a state forest so we are always on the watch out during summer for fires. The town has a siren that goes off whenever there is an emergency, we can then look at the CFA (country fire authority) app to check where the emergency is. We are also encouraged to have fire plans in place, and to practice them every now and then.

Devi

It's good that you guys have all the safety measures in place, with the sirens and such. You should be safe then ,and know when it's time to leave if need be.

The only time I was REALLY close to a fire ,was one year we went to Florida on a vacation . We visited St Augustine , which is a BEAUTIFUL city . They had a large number of Catholic churches that were unlocked . I have always wanted to see inside one ,since they are so beautiful . So, I walked to a large one, walked up the steps and went in. It wasn't a "church "day, so there were only a few people in there, sitting on the pews or wandering around .

I came up to the basins with the Holy Water In them and wasn't sure if I was supposed to use it , or HOW to do it .   :dunno:      I've seen it on tv,  but never been to a Catholic church . I was pondering whether I should attempt it ,and how, but decided not to .

So, I walked in and just wandered all around looking at the beautiful decorations, windows, etc. The place was huge ,so I was in there for quite some time .

I finally looked around and noticed everyone else was gone, so I thought I'd leave too . It was dark inside ,so when I first opened the doors, my eyes were adjusting to the brightness .I thought I was SEEING things, but NO... I was seeing perfectly fine .

The WHOLE CHURCHYARD was on fire, with a big red fire truck, firemen with hoses, putting the fire out .. WOW ... THAT WAS SCARY !!!      :o

The moral of the story :

Next time I go into a Catholic church , USE the Holy Water .

It certainly makes you think a lot , to go into a church and you come out with the whole yard on fire . I'm either in NEED of church or need to stay away from them .      :wacko:  

A Signal From Above .    :angel_not::devcat:

Devi

It's good that you guys have all the safety measures in place, with the sirens and such. You should be safe then ,and know when it's time to leave if need be.

The only time I was REALLY close to a fire ,was one year we went to Florida on a vacation . We visited St Augustine , which is a BEAUTIFUL city . They had a large number of Catholic churches that were unlocked . I have always wanted to see inside one ,since they are so beautiful . So, I walked to a large one, walked up the steps and went in. It wasn't a "church "day, so there were only a few people in there, sitting on the pews or wandering around .

I came up to the basins with the Holy Water In them and wasn't sure if I was supposed to use it , or HOW to do it .   :dunno:      I've seen it on tv,  but never been to a Catholic church . I was pondering whether I should attempt it ,and how, but decided not to .

So, I walked in and just wandered all around looking at the beautiful decorations, windows, etc. The place was huge ,so I was in there for quite some time .

I finally looked around and noticed everyone else was gone, so I thought I'd leave too . It was dark inside ,so when I first opened the doors, my eyes were adjusting to the brightness .I thought I was SEEING things, but NO... I was seeing perfectly fine .

The WHOLE CHURCHYARD was on fire, with a big red fire truck, firemen with hoses, putting the fire out .. WOW ... THAT WAS SCARY !!!      :o

The moral of the story :

Next time I go into a Catholic church , USE the Holy Water .

It certainly makes you think a lot , to go into a church and you come out with the whole yard on fire . I'm either in NEED of church or need to stay away from them .      :wacko:  

A Signal From Above .    :angel_not::devcat:

:giggle2: now that would of been scary at the time, but what a story to tell now. You would think someone who was in the church would of come back in and told you about the fire if they had of seen it. I wonder what started it?

Wonder if you surprised the fire fighters with your appearance out of the church doors.

Devi

I'm thinking possibly someone driving by had maybe thrown out a cigarette or something ? Not sure, but the grass was all brown from lack of rain .

As for the others inside, there weren't many, just a scattered few, and the place was huge ,so maybe no one would have noticed I was in there wandering around .

It's ok, though. I think maybe sometimes things like that happen for a reason . Like a wake-up call ? Straighten out or else ?

I'm not sure , I just chalk it up to something that happened that was funny ,since I got out ok .

That reminds me of another time, I wasn't so fortunate . I still tease the Hubster about it . Another funny story that wasn't funny then .but is now .

We had an old furnace in our last house that had some malfunction. Once in awhile, the pressure inside BLEW the metal door off the front. Maybe a clogged gas line or something ? We had a furnace guy come look at it , but he didn't find anything alarming .

It also had the tendency for the pilot light to blow out ,so you'd have to go down and re-light it .

Usually that was the Hubster's job, since I know nothing about furnaces, but he was at work, it was winter and early morning ,so it was freezing cold in the house. I called him at work ,asking directions for how to light the pilot light .

He told me each step ,so I went down to light it . To make a long story short, he FORGOT to tell me to turn the thermostat OFF .

So, there was a buildup of gas in there  .

What happens when you stick a lighted match into an area where there is a gas buildup ?   :censored:

Let's just say that I needed to draw my eyebrows on until they grew back out   :icon_eek:   ,and I didn't need a suntan ,as I looked like I had laid out in the desert for a day .  :7_mad:  

Hehe. I take that as a compliment. We are rather similar. :) And (in case you didn't already know) Frankie has actually visited me...all the way from Finland to Australia! I still can't believe it happened. :D

Yes, we are like two pees in a pot. Easily mixed :giggle2:

I ordered a book from BD and it arrived today along with another unexpected surprise in the envelope!

2df54aaab43123baa89c90aa4f68738d_zpsfb7b

Devi

Love the cover of that book . It immediately makes you wonder what the horse is doing in the room .Very pretty picture - I like black and white photos .

Have you played Old Maid before ?

No, but I want to play a couple of games with my partner once he gets back. I am alone for the weekend. :(

Luckily it comes with instructions.

Devi

It's really simple, you'll pick it up in no time .. I played it as a kid all the time, and used to play it with the grandson a lot . Sorry you're alone for the weekend . Good time to pick up some extra reading maybe :)

KM

I don't know about the game you mentioned ,but Old  Maid is a card game, in which there are pairs of cards ( all of them being an occupation, so for example, there'd be 2 cards of a baker, 2 of a painter,etc)

You pass out all the cards ,then you take turns picking a card from the other player's hand . If it's a match to one of yours, you lay them on the table ,and continue in this way, laying down your matches as you get them .

The catch of the game is that there is only ONE Old Maid, so whoever ends up with her ,loses , since she doesn't have a match .

It's very fun . I probably wore out several decks of this game as a kid . :)

Thats it! I am going to play old maid with my partner tonight, hopefully he gets the old maid. :giggle2: