Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

I'm very curious to see what their top 101 books are, and to see if karsa or Tim have read this title.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm very curious to see what their top 101 books are, and to see if karsa or Tim have read this title.

I haven't seen it before, I often look at lists online which is bad enough.

Books like that are never great for the wishlist/TBR though. :haha:

Exactly.

Would be interesting to see what the top ten are though.

Edited by Timstar

I haven't seen it before, I often look at lists online which is bad enough.

:lol:  Ditto. 

I hope you find it useful/interesting, Devi.  Generally, I find these types of book are the sort of thing I'd dip into after I'd read one of the books included in the list.  I had a look at the books included in this one, though - I haven't read all that many of them, but I was curious as to what they had to say about the ones I have read, especially A Fire Upon the Deep, having just finished re-reading it.  For what it's worth, it's well written, and the overview they provided would be a good introduction for someone who's never read AFUtD.  However,  it seems a little schizophrenic, in that it wants to appeal to people who have not read these books and yet there were plot spoilers in the sections I read, so I'd advise proceeding with care  :smile:

ETA: Tim, I think the books were presented chronologically by date of publication, rather than being ranked with a 'top ten'.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

First book of my BD spree has arrived! My partner has said though if I don't open any till they all arrive, he will shout me out to a nice dinner!

It's going to be so hard to not open them... :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

That's difficult! But it'll be great for you two to have a nice dinner, just try and keep thinking about that. Maybe put the packages somewhere where you don't see them all the time, it might help. Good luck :).

I reached 1,000 posts! Only took me just over a year :giggle2:

Congrats Devi :lol::flowers2:

I acquired a few books the past month, some given to me, some bought and some traded. I finally got around to typing up the list so here they are.

A few?? :D

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price Purveyor of Superior Funerals - Wendy Jones

I hope this is good, it's on my wishlist :)

Ulysses - James Joyce

This is a massive classic, I can't wait to hear what you make of it :)

Under Heaven - Guy Gavriel Kay

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this, too!

Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

... and this!

(apparently I posted too many block quotes so I have to do my reply in two separate posts)

Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson

This is a great classic, I hope you like it! :)

Cult Killers - Frank Moorhouse

Bloody hell, what a mixed bunch of books :D This ought to be interesting...

The Red House - Mark Haddon

Jealous! :)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon ~ this was the one on my wishlist.

This is a really great novel, I hope you enjoy it! :)

The Day my Bum Went Psycho Andy Griffiths

What a great title :D More so when I thought it was written by the man who played Matlock in the TV series :giggle2:

So a friend of my mums dropped by a bag of books for me to check out. One was on my wishlist!

i have to check them out, so far I've just seen the authors and titles. The books are:

Trapped - Chris Jordan

The Plantation - Di Morrisey

The Ignorance of Blood - Robert Wilson

Mean Spirit - Will Kingdom

I'm Not Scared - Niccolò Ammaniti

Present Danger - Stella Rimington

The Dogs of War - Frederick Forsyth

When Eight Bells Toll - Allistair Maclean

Red Mist - Patricia Cornwell

The Road to Gandolfo - Robert Ludlum

The Osterman Weekend - Robert Ludlum

Black Market - James Patterson

Ravensdale Spring - Kate Fielding

Musicophilia: Tales or Music and the Brain - Oliver Sacks

On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon ~ this was the one on my wishlist.

These two I read growing up, and couldn't believe my luck when I found them in the bag. Andy Griffiths was one of my favourite authors to read back then.

Just Disgusting - Andy Griffiths

The Day my Bum Went Psycho Andy Griffiths

If anyone knows anything about the books I mentioned, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I have read Chesil Beach, recommended by an old friend. It took all of a wet and windy afternoon to get through it, by which time, I was close to tears over the criminal waste of a desire to love, and to be loved in return. Fantastic.

Edited by Artemis

Great List!

Thanks! Welcome to the fourms by the way.

I have read Chesil Beach, recommended by an old friend. It took all of a wet and windy afternoon to get through it, by which time, I was close to tears over the criminal waste of a desire to love, and to be loved in return. Fantastic.

Good to hear! Thanks for that :) I will bump it up my TBR pile.

A few?? :D

Wait till you see what I bought from BD! :blush::giggle2: Edited by Devi

Wait till you see what I bought from BD! :blush::giggle2:

Have you been shopping for books again? :D Love it! Can't wait to see the latest haul... :lol: And yeah, going at this rate you'll soon have to start double-stacking those bookcases of yours :giggle2:

I also look forward to see your books, Devi!

x

Have you been shopping for books again? :D Love it! Can't wait to see the latest haul... :lol: And yeah, going at this rate you'll soon have to start double-stacking those bookcases of yours :giggle2:

x

:blush: I already do this XD!

Edited by Athena

I can't exactly remember the books I chose over a week ago when I purchased them, so I was going to list them as they arrive. As I mentioned my partner though has dared me to wait till they all arrive before opening - 3/6 packages have arrived thus far. When I open them all I shall let you know the titles!

I did go on a post spree though, and bought three new (but pre-loved) books... :blush: I know I know, so bad of me. One I had been looking for for awhile now, and at .50cents how could I not! It was The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, I then went to another charity shop and found Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris and Other People's Diaries by Kathy Webb. That last one sounded familiar to me, and I can't remember if I had heard about it on here or not. Thought I would give it a chance. Those last two cost me $3.50

Edited by Devi

They are piling slowly but surely on top of the bookshelves at this stage. I still have room for a few more shelves, I just need to go and buy a couple more!

Oh and I almost forgot... I got a book called Sandakan by Paul Ham, I was excited to say the least as it was only $30! Most places have it ranging between $50 - $70. He is fast becoming my favourite non fiction war author, I also have Hiroshima of his, which I dip into now and then, they are rather large books.

Here is the synopsis from goodreads.

The untold story of the Sandakan death marches of World War II.

This is the story of the three-year ordeal of the Sandakan prisoners of war, a barely known episode of unimaginable horror. After the fall of Singapore in February 1942, the Japanese conquerors transferred 2700 British and Australian prisoners to a jungle camp some eight miles inland of Sandakan, on the east coast of North Borneo. For decades after the Second World War, the Australian and British governments would refuse to divulge the truth of what happened here, for fear of traumatising the families of the victims and enraging the people.

The prisoners were broken, beaten, worked to death, thrown into bamboo cages on the slightest pretext, starved and subjected to tortures so hideous that none survived the onslaught with their minds intact, and only an incredibly resilient few managed to withstand the pain without yielding to the hated Kempei-tai, the Japanese military police.

But this was only the beginning of the nightmare. In late 1944, Allied aircraft were attacking the coastal towns of Sandakan and Jesselton. To escape the bombardment, the Japanese resolved to abandon the Sandakan prison camp and move 250 miles inland to Ranau, taking the prisoners with them as slave labour, carriers and draught horses. Their journey became known as the Sandakan Death Marches. Of the 2700 prisoners originally sent to Sandakan, only six, all of them Australians, would survive.

This important and harrowing book narrates the full story of Sandakan, as told through the experiences of the participants. Paul Ham has interviewed the families of survivors and the deceased, in Australia, Britain and Borneo, and consulted thousands of court documents in an effort to piece together exactly what happened to the people who suffered and died in British North Borneo, and who was responsible.

I also look forward to see your books, Devi!

x

x

:blush: I already do this XD!

Is there something odd happening with your formatting, Athena?  I've noticed a lot of random x symbols appearing in your posts.  :10_confused:   I haven't noticed it happening to anyone else.

Is there something odd happening with your formatting, Athena?  I've noticed a lot of random x symbols appearing in your posts.  :10_confused:   I haven't noticed it happening to anyone else.

XD no, but if I don't put the x there then there is often no space between the quote and my text (like now), on my screen (a space I type gets erased). I think it's a Firefox problem. I think I could fix it by using a different browser (ie. Chrome) but I prefer to use Firefox for most things. YouTube also isn't working properly lately, I can watch videos but I can't "like" or "subscribe" when I'm logged in. I don't know if the two issues are related though :10_confused:.

XD no, but if I don't put the x there then there is often no space between the quote and my text (like now), on my screen (a space I type gets erased). I think it's a Firefox problem. I think I could fix it by using a different browser (ie. Chrome) but I prefer to use Firefox for most things. YouTube also isn't working properly lately, I can watch videos but I can't "like" or "subscribe" when I'm logged in. I don't know if the two issues are related though :10_confused:.

I use Firefox, but don't have the same problem (as you can see!).

I can't exactly remember the books I chose over a week ago when I purchased them, so I was going to list them as they arrive. As I mentioned my partner though has dared me to wait till they all arrive before opening - 3/6 packages have arrived thus far. When I open them all I shall let you know the titles!

:D It's somehow awful, and yet at the same time so believable that you wouldn't remember all the books you ordered :giggle2: I mean if you order more than a few it's pretty easy to forget one or two of the titles... But don't you think it's just great that way, because then you'll be in for a few 'surprises'? :D

Hey Devi, I've been meaning to ask: did you ever get to reading the Malazan series? What happened to that? I may have missed something because I was sick for so long earlier this year, so sorry if you've already started the series and discussed it and I've just not noticed :blush:

:D It's somehow awful, and yet at the same time so believable that you wouldn't remember all the books you ordered :giggle2: I mean if you order more than a few it's pretty easy to forget one or two of the titles... But don't you think it's just great that way, because then you'll be in for a few 'surprises'? :D

Hey Devi, I've been meaning to ask: did you ever get to reading the Malazan series? What happened to that? I may have missed something because I was sick for so long earlier this year, so sorry if you've already started the series and discussed it and I've just not noticed :blush:

It can be both a blessing and annoying :giggle2:.

No I haven't started the Malazan series yet so you are fine :) Like yourself, I have been pretty sick the last couple of months, not cough cold sick, just my MS worsening/developing. I haven't felt like reading at all. Its only been the last two days since I found an old series I loved as a teen, (young adult one) that I have started to get back into reading again.

No I haven't started the Malazan series yet so you are fine :) Like yourself, I have been pretty sick the last couple of months, not cough cold sick, just my MS worsening/developing. I haven't felt like reading at all. Its only been the last two days since I found an old series I loved as a teen, (young adult one) that I have started to get back into reading again.

I'm sorry to hear that :(:empathy:   Being sick is awful as it is, but for us booklovers it's twice as bad because we cannot concentrate on our reading and our beloved books. Like you, I also started my reading again with a teenage favorite book series, and built up from that. I'm glad we have our ways to get back to our normal selves :D We are clever, we can't be beaten :cool: I hope you feel better and can continue getting back to reading more again :friends3:

Latest purchased books

Fiction

City of Dragons - Robin Hobb (book 3 Rain Wild Chronicles)

A Kingdom Besieged - Raymond E. Feist (book 1 Chaos War Saga)

A Crown Imperiled - Raymond E. Feist (book 2 Chaos War Saga)

To Ride Hell's Chasm - Janny Wurts

Lair - James Herbert

The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

The Death of Grass - John Christopher

Things We Didn't See Coming - Steven Amsterdam

Empire of the Sun - JG Ballard

Peace and War - Joe Haldeman (Omnibus Edition)

The Beach - Alex Garland

The Book of Imaginary Beings - Jorge Luis Borges

Hyperion - Dan Simmons (book 1 Hyperion Cantos)

Endymion - Dan Simmons (book 3 Hyperion Cantos)

The Rise of Endymion - Dan Simmons (book 4 Hyperion Cantos)

Non Fiction

Snipers & Shooters - Bill Wallace

Sniper - Adrian Gilbert

The Berlin Wall - Frederick Taylor

The Nazi Officer's Wife - Edith Hahn Beer with Susan Dworkin