Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

:exc::exc::exc:

They look blimmin' marvellous, Devi :D

I feel your shelf space problem. I hate to make it worse, but from Toll the Hounds onwards it's possible you might get the larger format paperbacks (like the Beauchelain & Korbal Broach one you have there, except about a billion times thicker). Those were what came out in the UK and they're enormous. I ordered the last three from Canada in the end, because they got the smaller trade paperback editions. I'll never understand why they chose to change the format part way through the series. It's not like they've re-issued the first seven books in the larger size . . . yet :rolleyes:

I have to say, the books have pretty nice covers... I like the covers of Gardens of the Moon and Midnight Tides in particular... And House of Chains, but I think at a closer look the doggies will look a lot more terrifying .... :blush:

Doggies? Doggies??? Those are the Deragoth, the Hounds of Darkness, I'll have you know :hide::giggle2:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They do look awesome! I hate when they change the format half way through the series, nearly paperbacks these days seem to be the larger format. :( I would love to have all these but due to ongoing and worsening space issues I am thinking of just getting the kindle editions.

I would love to have all these but due to ongoing and worsening space issues I am thinking of just getting the kindle editions.

Could you get the books from the library instead? I believe there are/were some problems with the Kindle editions, particularly with Gardens. Plus you will want to keep flicking back and forwards to the maps and dramatis personae :smile:

Uh oh, they take all the space :o Would you feel awkward about putting the three more novels on top of those? And one of those titles seems taller than others, what's that?

I have to say, the books have pretty nice covers... I like the covers of Gardens of the Moon and Midnight Tides in particular... And House of Chains, but I think at a closer look the doggies will look a lot more terrifying .... :blush:

It's called The First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. It contains three short novels of the Malazan Empire. Karsa can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they are not essential to the main series, but still relate to the books.

Yes I think I will be putting them on top of the others or maybe even spread them over two shelves. All my bookshelves are the same size sadly, and are matching so I don't want to buy a bigger different shelf.

I'm a sucker for nice book covers!

:exc::exc::exc:

They look blimmin' marvellous, Devi :D

I feel your shelf space problem. I hate to make it worse, but from Toll the Hounds onwards it's possible you might get the larger format paperbacks (like the Beauchelain & Korbal Broach one you have there, except about a billion times thicker). Those were what came out in the UK and they're enormous. I ordered the last three from Canada in the end, because they got the smaller trade paperback editions. I'll never understand why they chose to change the format part way through the series. It's not like they've re-issued the first seven books in the larger size . . . yet :rolleyes:

and I thought A song of Ice and Fire series was rather large! :thud:

They do look awesome! I hate when they change the format half way through the series, nearly paperbacks these days seem to be the larger format. :( I would love to have all these but due to ongoing and worsening space issues I am thinking of just getting the kindle editions.

I too hate when my series are a mix of different covers and/or sizes, that's why I bought the books all at once. I checked the bibliographic data of each book and made sure they were all the same size in height. I'll wait six months to get a paperback copy rather than buy a hardback day one.

Edited by Devi

It's called The First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. It contains three short novels of the Malazan Empire. Karsa can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they are not essential to the main series, but still relate to the books.

Ah, okay. It's unfortunate that they went with a different size, but at least it's not one of the novels in the 'main' series :)That would be very annoying!!

I'm a sucker for nice book covers!

Here here! It really adds to the enjoyment of reading a book if it's got a beautiful cover :blush:

I too hate when my series are a mix of different covers and/or sizes, that's why I bought the books all at once. I checked the bibliographic data of each book and made sure they were all the same size in height. I'll wait six months to get a paperback copy rather than buy a hardback day one.

Good thinking! I would hire you as a personal book shopper any day :D

The Simpsons got me into Edgar Allen Poe! I was youngish when I saw this episode and fell in love with The Raven. I have this book with some of his best works.

2zylklk.jpg

What a beautiful book cover Devi. I have one of his collections but the cover isn't half so beautiful (although I thought so .. until I saw yours :D)

The large format paperbacks drive me up the wall .. they completely ruin displays especially when you're collecting a series. They won't even fit on most of my shelves .. very annoying .. who came up with it? .. I'd give them a piece of my mind (if I could spare it :D)

The large format paperbacks drive me up the wall .. they completely ruin displays especially when you're collecting a series. They won't even fit on most of my shelves .. very annoying .. who came up with it? .. I'd give them a piece of my mind (if I could spare it :D)
I agree! I always try to check it before I buy it (if it's online), to try to make sure it's not too big a paperback. If they're not too big then it's fine (though I prefer all books to be the same), but the really large ones annoy me.

You're quite right, they're not essential at all. Bauchelain & Korbal Broach are two characters who appeared in the main series - the novellas are just side stories about them :smile:

and I thought A song of Ice and Fire series was rather large!

Ah, but it could end up being even larger, as there's no end in sight to that one yet :lol:

I too hate when my series are a mix of different covers and/or sizes, that's why I bought the books all at once. I checked the bibliographic data of each book and made sure they were all the same size in height.

Great! :smile:

What a beautiful book cover Devi. I have one of his collections but the cover isn't half so beautiful (although I thought so .. until I saw yours :D)

When I saw it I just had to have it! I didn't even bother looking inside to see what stories were featured. :blush:

I agree! I always try to check it before I buy it (if it's online), to try to make sure it's not too big a paperback. If they're not too big then it's fine (though I prefer all books to be the same), but the really large ones annoy me.

I also find with big books, it's hard for me to hold them in my hands. I have a book seat but it doesn't hold the larger books.

I also find with big books, it's hard for me to hold them in my hands.
I've got that too, my hands are not that big (but in proportion to the rest of me, I'm just not a very big/tall person!) so big books are awkward to hold. Nice to find someone likeminded :).

I've got that too, my hands are not that big (but in proportion to the rest of me, I'm just not a very big/tall person!) so big books are awkward to hold. Nice to find someone likeminded :).

Yes I thought I was the only one on here with that problem!

I have arthritis in my hands so my fingers don't lay flat. Big books can become heavy in my hands, and they begin to ache.

Edited by Devi

The Book Depository is quite handy in this way because they usually give the exact dimensions of the book (yes, I have gone running around with a tape measure many times before ordering a book). Somehow, though, I *still* manage to buy the wrong-sized books sometimes! Grr...

I have very little space between my shelves so I can fit in as many books as possible, so big paperbacks and hardbacks really throw a spanner in the works. If you've ever seen pics of my shelves (I'm going to post updated pics soon), you'll see all of the 'too tall' books laying horizontally. It's a pain in the butt when shelving them.

I am finally glad to present my library! (so far...)

This is my non fiction shelf, I've only really got into non fiction thanks to this forum, hense why there aren't many!

58bf2b0343f2dd81fc240da170b426ac.jpg

These are my fiction shelves! There is a small pile of non fiction sitting on top, closest to the left. They were too big for the other shelf.

78ec3545f2779263a5140e71199211e9.jpg

SF/Fantasy shelves, I intend to get another of the middle shelf as I know I will be buying more books!

ab45a63825ebc66a0be55c6d7f09cf2b.jpg

This is an antique buffet, so what better place to put my really old books! One of the books is over 100 years old too.

384034de35092b75570be9745cd92969.jpg

Devi

Beautiful pics of your bookshelves. I love your house --it looks very cozy ,like a "content" place to live. Good vibes ...

The old antique buffet is beautiful .We had one in our dining room when I was a kid,and they called it a chiffarobe, I think .. I think it's used to store extra dishes, table linens,etc ..at least thats what we used it for . I'd love to have one now !

The older I get the more I like antique stuff . :):(

What is the name of your oldest book and where did you get it ,was it passed down in your family ?