Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

Devi

Do you have one of those "Doggie-Doors" sawed into one of your outside doors .so your pets can get in and out ? Maybe the books are sneaking in through there ?

No but I wish I had now, so I could say this was true. :giggle2:

I blame the Book Elves - they`re notorious for that sort of behaviour. ;)

I love this one! I'll blame the book elves from now on! :giggle2;

Devi...I hope you are feeling some better.

Never be embarrassed!!!!!!!

Ahhh, the old doggie door...well, ours leap into the Jeep as we pass book sales! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :angel_not:

I know, everyone says that. I've become a bit of a recluse since they started happening, I have even knocked back friends from visiting. :( I'm afraid I might accidently wet myself during a seizure...

I've always been the strong, independent one, and for people to see me like that... just upsets me a little. I hope that makes sense. I had two this evening, and thinking is a little foggy for me.

Edited by Devi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just wanted to share two poems I just read in one of the books on my shelf.

For Mercy has a human heart,

Pity a human face,

And Love, the human form divine,

And Peace, the human dress.

Cruelty has a Human Heart,

And jealousy a Human Face,

Terror the Human Form Divine,

And Secrecy the Human Dress.

both by William Blake.

Devi

Have you asked your Doc if there is a support group for people with your same illness ?  It might help you if they have gone through the same things ,they will understand exactly how you feel . I'm sure it's hard , if you have always been able to lean on yourself when times get rough ,but sometimes we need others to lean on . That doesn't make you weak, it makes you human .

Also, you know you can come in here and always get lots of backup ,because there are a lot of really kind hearted people in here . 

:)

Devi

Have you asked your Doc if there is a support group for people with your same illness ?  It might help you if they have gone through the same things ,they will understand exactly how you feel . I'm sure it's hard , if you have always been able to lean on yourself when times get rough ,but sometimes we need others to lean on . That doesn't make you weak, it makes you human .

Also, you know you can come in here and always get lots of backup ,because there are a lot of really kind hearted people in here . 

Aw, nice. And ditto. Devi, I bet you`d be there for your friends if they were experiencing something similar ; perhaps it would make them feel like they were doing something to help you if they visit ? :empathy:

Devi

Aw, nice. And ditto. Devi, I bet you`d be there for your friends if they were experiencing something similar ; perhaps it would make them feel like they were doing something to help you if they visit ? :empathy:

Thank you both :)

You all are so fantastic, I don't know what I would do without some of you. :)

42 pages into Of Mice and Men, took me a few pages to get used to the way they speak, but I am enjoying it so far!

I still need to add my latest purchases here. They will be my last till I get back from qld.. unless I happen to find some on my holiday. We have a 70kg luggage limit., and there is no way we will use that much going up. Hmm....

Edited by Devi

I still need to add my latest purchases here. They will be my last till I get back from qld.. unless I happen to find some on my holiday. We have a 70kg luggage limit., and there is no way we will use that much going up. Hmm....

And it would be rude not to buy some books in Queensland... whistling.gif  Have a great holiday. :smile:

When we've travelled other than by auto, we box the books up and mail home.  Along with laundry. :giggle2:

And it would be rude not to buy some books in Queensland... whistling.gif  Have a great holiday. :smile:

I know, I simply must check them out. I just hope my aunt doesn't mind :giggle2:

When we've travelled other than by auto, we box the books up and mail home.  Along with laundry. :giggle2:

Oh such a good idea! I could get more that way :D:giggle2:

When do you leave, Devi ? I hope you have a thoroughly wonderful trip .   :)

August 7th, I'll be taking my ipad and will still visit my second home (here!) while I am away :)

I've decided I am going to limit myself to taking three books with me on holiday... well try to anyway. :giggle2: I'll have my ipad with me which has a few ebooks on it, so maybe I shouldn't bother with the paperbacks? Hmm.

Hope you have a lovely holiday Devi & get plenty of relaxing reading days in  :reading:

Thanks kidsmum, I am really, really, really, really, looking forward to it. :D:giggle2:

Ok, here are my latest purchases, and last till I get back from my holiday (though I may buy some during my holiday).

Non Fiction

Fukushima - Mark Willacy

Synopsis from Goodreads:

On 11 March 2011, Japan was rocked by the most violent earthquake in her history and one of the largest ever recorded. The quake itself was just the start of a chain of disastrous events, creating a massive tsunami that slammed the shores of north eastern Japan. Close to 20,000 people were killed or disappeared under waves that reached more than 40 metres high as they smashed their way several kilometres inland.

Yet the greatest damage was caused when the tsunami surged over the seawall of Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power station, resulting in a multiple core meltdown that released vast quantities of radioactivity into the atmosphere and ocean. At one stage it even threatened the evacuation and irradiation of Tokyo itself, which would have spelt the end of Japan as we know it.

Fukushima is the incredible story behind the twin catastrophes of the tsunami and nuclear meltdown, seen through the eyes of witnesses and victims – from former prime minister Naoto Kan, the plant director and senior engineers of Fukushima Dai-Ichi, the elite firefighters who risked their lives to avert the ultimate nuclear nightmare, to the mother excavating the wreckage as she looked for her daughter's remains.

Beyond Belief - Jenna Miscavige Hill

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Jenna Miscavige Hill was raised to obey. As the niece of the Church of Scientology's leader David Miscavige, she grew up at the center of this highly controversial and powerful organization. But at twenty-one, Jenna made a daring break, risking everything she had ever known and loved to leave Scientology once and for all. Now she speaks out about her life, the Church, and her dramatic escape, going deep inside a religion that, for decades, has been the subject of fierce debate and speculation worldwide.

Piercing the veil of secrecy that has long shrouded the world of Scientology, this insider reveals unprecedented firsthand knowledge of the religion, its obscure rituals, and its mysterious leader—David Miscavige. From her prolonged separation from her parents as a small child to being indoctrinated to serve the greater good of the Church, from her lack of personal freedoms to the organization's emphasis on celebrity recruitment, Jenna goes behind the scenes of Scientology's oppressive and alienating culture, detailing an environment rooted in control in which the most devoted followers often face the harshest punishments when they fall out of line. Addressing some of the Church's most notorious practices in startling detail, she also describes a childhood of isolation and neglect—a childhood that, painful as it was, prepared her for a tough life in the Church's most devoted order, the Sea Org.

Despite this hardship, it is only when her family approaches dissolution and her world begins to unravel that she is finally able to see the patterns of stifling conformity and psychological control that have ruled her life. Faced with a heartbreaking choice, she mounts a courageous escape, but not before being put through the ultimate test of family, faith, and love. At once captivating and disturbing, Beyond Belief is an eye-opening exploration of the limits of religion and the lengths to which one woman went to break free.

Gallipoli Sniper - John Hamilton

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The Anzac battlefield on Gallipoli was made for snipers. Scrub, cliffs, spurs and hills meant that both Anzac and Turkish positions often overlooked one another. The unwary or unlucky were prey to snipers on both sides, and the sudden crack of a gunshot and instant death were an ever-present menace. The most successful and most feared sniper of the Gallipoli campaign was Billy Sing, a Light Horseman from Queensland, who was almost unique among the Australian troops in having a Chinese-born father. A combination of patience, stealth and an amazing eye made him utterly deadly, with the incredible - and horrifying - figure of over 200 credited 'kills'. John Hamilton has written an extraordinary account of a hidden side of the campaign - the snipers' war. Following Sing from his recruitment onwards, Hamilton takes us on a journey into the squalor, dust, blood and heroism of Gallipoli, seen from the unique viewpoint of the sniper. Gallipoli Sniper is a powerful and very different account of war and its effect on those who fight.

Fiction

Beneath the Darkening Sky - Majok Tulba

World War Z - Max Brooks

Wool - Hugh Howey

Magician's End - Raymond E. Feist

A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea - Dina Nayeri

The cover for the above book caught my attention, and here it is:

24zf7zd.jpg

I caved and bought the hardcover edition of Magician's End - the last book in the Riftwar Cycle. The small paperback isn't due to be released till next year sometime, so I figure I'll read now and swap it as soon as I am done, and just buy the small paperback next year.

Devi

I'll be interested in hearing how you like the Scientology book. I've heard of it ,but haven't read it . It does sound like an interesting subject ( and quite controversial in some areas ) .  *I don't know much at all about the religion , but it's usually interesting to learn about all the different religious beliefs that people have and why they believe as they do .

I had several friends in school who each attended a different church . Our family didn't attend at all, so I was the Friend Who Needed Saved .

Because of being in that position , I was "invited" to lots of different churches . I enjoyed the wide array of foods served . All the way from store-bought cookies and Koolaid  to a full home-made meal with all the desserts you could possibly think of .

WHY the food part sticks out most in my mind, I'm not sure, other than I like food . Some of the churches were quite scary in their way of getting their point across to us sinners in the group .

The one week of Church Camp I attended was probably one of the worst weeks of my growing up years. NOT FUN  .

Anyhow, I like learning about religions and beliefs .Quite a fascinating subject .

It's 1:22am and I have just finished reading Of Mice and Men. For such a small book, it packs a huge punch, one that will leave an impression for a long time yet.

I started The Complete Polysyllabic Spree and I have to say I love it thus far and I am only 19 pages in.

Great list Devi. :)  I especially like the look of Fukushima  by Mark Willacy.

I also really enjoyed WWZ and Wool, both excellent!

I'm really looking forward to Fukushima. I was watching the news live just after the earthquake hit, then they cut to the tsunami - I just sat there stunned, watching. I still remember it clearly as if it was yesterday, I can't imagine what it must of been like.