Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

I enjoyed One Day when I read it, but I'm not sure it is something I would go back to again knowing the full story. I quite liked reading the chapters that focused on Emma, but I found Dexter to be a tedious waste of human flesh (but I guess that is the point!).

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, not sure about One Day, which is why I have borrowed it rather than bought it. I haven't seen the movie either, as Anne Hathaway irritates me.

Charliepud, I've read The Tenderness of Wolves before and loved it. I've borrowed as a pre-emptive guess that it will be chosen for January. :D If not, then I'll re-read it anyway.

I thought the film was ok, pretty true to the book which meant I pretty much knew what was going to happen all the way through..

I will start A Light Between Oceans tonight, I have high hopes for it as it has had such good reviews. :)

Edited by chaliepud

Yeah, not sure about One Day, which is why I have borrowed it rather than bought it. I haven't seen the movie either, as Anne Hathaway irritates me.

I thought the film was ok, pretty true to the book which meant I pretty much knew what was going to happen all the way through..

I refuse to watch the film because of that particular piece of casting; she was so wrong for that part.

Depending on whether I enjoy the book, I may watch the film, if I can stomach her. :theboss:

I finished The Courage Consort by Michel Faber. Kind of scratching my head over the point of it. It just seems to be one of those books that does nothing and goes nowhere. Unless of course one has the time and inclination to dissect it and look for hidden meanings, which clearly I don't :blush2:

Think I'll move on to something less subtle - I Can See You by Karen Rose.

Managed to finish The Alchemist Paulo Coelho this morning thank goodness definitely one for the charity bag. Not sure what my next read is going to be yet.

He seems to be a Marmite author. Some people absolutely adore his work, others hate it. I read Veronika Decides to Die by him and I couldn't wait to finish it and not in a good way.

A pre-ordered Christmas treat arrived on my Kindle today - Agatha Raisin and the Christmas Crumble which is a short story with one of my favourite grumpy old women, so I read that this morning, and I've also read most of The Chimes by Charles Dickens, another short story (although about 120 pages, so not that short!). Also read a bit more of Emma but I'm still wishing Austen had had an editor for this one :irked:, but determined to finish it this time.

I'm about a quarter of the way through I Can See You by Karen Rose. I'm finding it hokey and corny with all the budding-romance rubbish between the two lead characters. Enough already, and just get on with making this a decent thriller! Thank goodness for libraries - they save me from spending my money on books like these.

I finally finished The Talented Mr Ripley today. Awesome book.

Glad you enjoyed it too Kylie!

I enjoyed my first foray into the world of Dickens - Oliver Twist. Now beginning Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich for an abrupt change of pace.

I Finisced "The big book of italian truks" and now I'm started the my first english book: "Grimm's Fairy Tales"!

I found this book free to download on Amazon.

Yesterday, at evening, i read the firs novel, "the golden bird". It's very hard, becouse use old form of English!

I'm about to start on my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol. I tried listening to it on an audio book but found that I couldn't concentrate on the story whilst doing other stuff - I think I'll save that version for the next time I have a long car journey in a December and go back to the good old fashioned paper version! :)

I'm about to start on my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol. I tried listening to it on an audio book but found that I couldn't concentrate on the story whilst doing other stuff

I have quite a few audio books but i never listen to them for that reason. I used to put one on while i was ironing but now i catch up on stuff i've recorded on the Sky Box instead.

Working my way through According To Queenie Beryl Bainbridge .